Our Realization

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: Our Realization

Postby moonrise » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Is that really CJ? ^^^^ eh, was before my time (however, this is getting juicy) the things this lottery has flushed out of the woodworks, interesting.

frogbird, 2 more points! & thanks :)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:54 am

5280MeV wrote:This is what 90% of so called "counter-culture" is - just a way of resting your ego on what you consume and how you spend your free time in some sort of "scene" without needing to make anything or do anything productive. If you are involved in something useful, beautiful, or otherwise productive, then what is the point of worrying that most people might actually appreciate your art or skill? NONE.

You assume that we all want to convert the world to our point of view. The truth is that most people are sheep, and I for one don't expect them to appreciate it, so I don't waste energy trying to convert anyone.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby glitter-mouse » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:17 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote: The truth is that most people are sheep

they're not sheep. the only sheep in the herd are those who go around pointing out the sheep in the herd, because everyone is doing it.
glitter-mouse

Postby Stephendragonfly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:25 pm

The Whiffenpoof Song

We're poor little lambs
who have lost our way,
Baa Baa Baa,
We're little black sheep
who have gone astray
Baa Baa Baa.

Gentlemen songsters off on a spree
doomed from here to eternity,
Lord, have mercy on such as we,
Baa Baa Baa.
Stephendragonfly

Location: A planet that is three quarters covered with water, but we call it Earth.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:32 pm

glitter-mouse wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote: The truth is that most people are sheep

they're not sheep. the only sheep in the herd are those who go around pointing out the sheep in the herd, because everyone is doing it.

Eh, if you insist.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Trishntek » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:47 pm

It is interesting to me that the METHOD of ticketing is considered going mainstream and, Therefore: the entire event and the people who participate have gone MAINSTREAM.

Please consider the FACT; I believe I speak for more than a handle of BURNERS, that OUR LIFESTYLE started a long time before Burning Man. Our way of following most or all of The Principles in an organic, natural-development fashion yearned for a means of expression.

Burning Man provides a unique venue to express our LIFESTYLE like no other. What it costs and the means to access the event are simply necessary evils we gladly tolerate for the sake of exercising our very essence. We are more perfectly human by seizing the opportunity to make our "pilgrimage" back to our home. For many of us, what we do in BRC is a manifestation of our true potential,,, the expression of ourselves to humanity.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby glitter-mouse » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Trishntek wrote:...unique venue to express our LIFESTYLE like no other.

you might want to consider that even groups as low down the social ladder as 'cafe village' view regular participants as mere 'citizens' ... i know because i've camped with them. cafe village is the lowest of the low on the ladder - they usually can't even get enough wood to build their bar without doing something unnatural with DPW folk. it's worse than lord of the flies in places like this; A LOT worse! these people think they're better than ticket holders - that they are members of the true civic. they consider themselves beyond just regular participants. it's a pervasive attitude out there. are you in or are you out?

so what concerns me is that you view BM as a 'unique venue to express our lifestyle like no other'. relative to what? relative to whom?
glitter-mouse

Postby Trishntek » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:29 pm

glitter-mouse wrote:
Trishntek wrote:...unique venue to express our LIFESTYLE like no other.

you might want to consider that even groups as low down the social ladder as 'cafe village' view regular participants as mere 'citizens' ... i know because i've camped with them. cafe village is the lowest of the low on the ladder - they usually can't even get enough wood to build their bar without doing something unnatural with DPW folk. it's worse than lord of the flies in places like this; A LOT worse! these people think they're better than ticket holders - that they are members of the true civic. they consider themselves beyond just regular participants. it's a pervasive attitude out there. are you in or are you out?

so what concerns me is that you view BM as a 'unique venue to express our lifestyle like no other'. relative to what? relative to whom?

Oh I've had run ins with those who feel entitled because of all the time they put into DPW or TEMPLE or the "I helped put up the trashfence" folks who deem themselves worthy to step into our private lounge without invitation. I understand the individuals like that are relatively few. They are just more vocal and obnoxious.

What makes BM a unique venue is:
- The volume of like-minded people is unprecedented in my experience
- Generosity, gratefulness and unpretentious attitudes permeate the human experience
- The human existence in a camp under less-than-ideal environmental conditions bring people together. A tribal kind of kinship where eating, sleeping, dressing and bathing are experienced without the 'civilized' notions and conditions of societal norms.

Relative to my default life experience, our theme camp precipitated "The Place Next Door" the other 50 weeks of the year. It functions on a gift economy and is greatly appreciated in the community. But it's a place to party,,,, not a place I can walk out on the street and yell at the top of my lungs, "HEY! YA WANNA SUCK SUPERMAN'S COCK?"
RogernMe.JPG
RogernMe.JPG (123.91 KiB) Viewed 751 times
Last edited by Trishntek on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby ygmir » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:35 pm

hardly anything pisses me off more, than some sort of "holier than thou, self entitlement " of some veterans, who think they've "done more to build this city" and keep it going................

I recently had a run in, with one, who told me "you'd have nothing out there, if not for me and my friends, who built this event into what it is".

Yeah, like a dozen people (outside the founders), Did all that's there.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:41 pm

Yeah, like there's no talent among the newbies. ;)
and there is...
Ugly Dougly

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy