2012: Triumphant Transfigured Burn!

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

2012: Triumphant Transfigured Burn!

Postby lemur » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:10 pm

So.. All of this ticket stuff reminds me of something, that.. something... is pasted below.

I think it might serve as a bit of a parable that can be used to guide, to inform us, of our current situation.. Surely no solutions are offered .. but.. maybe we will come up with those as we live it.

It might be bad right now, but, if this is experience is anything like what is written below..maybe burning man could be in for quite a day.

I spoke, and always more softly: for I was afraid of my own thoughts.

...Suddenly I heard a dog howl near me.

And I saw it also, with hair bristling, its head upwards, trembling in the still midnight.

And there lay a man! And there! The dog leaping, bristling, whining- now it saw me coming- then it howled again, then did it cry:- had I ever heard a dog cry so for help?

And what I saw, the like had I never seen. A young shepherd did I see, writhing, choking, quivering, with distorted countenance, and with a heavy black serpent hanging out of his mouth.

Had I ever seen so much loathing and pale horror on one face? He had perhaps gone to sleep? Then had the serpent crawled into his throat?

My hand pulled at the serpent, and pulled:- in vain! I failed to pull the serpent out of his throat. Then there cried out of me: "Bite! Bite! Its head off! Bite!"- so cried out of me; my horror, my hatred, my loathing, my pity, all my good and my bad cried with one voice out of me.-

-The shepherd however bit as my cry had admonished him; he bit with a strong bite! Far away did he spit the head of the serpent:- and he sprang up.-

No longer shepherd, no longer man- a transfigured being, a light-surrounded being, that laughed! Never on earth laughed a man as he laughed!

O my brothers, I heard a laughter which was no human laughter,- and now a thirst gnaws at me, a longing that is never allayed.

My longing for that laughter gnaws at me: oh, how can I still endure to live! And how could I endure to die at present!-

(maybe you recognize the source, and the context.. but that is not what i intend to share here.. just the parable)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Return to Politics & Philosophy