Should BM ban motorized scooters (except art vehicles) ?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: thats a fallacy-anyway your ACL needs physical therapy

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:48 am

epic wrote:thats the same argument people make about mandating handicapped parking spaces, when in fact 90% are either not occupied or are used by people with no handicap.

Interesting statistic. Based on my brief expeirience on having a placard (Squad 1's) for a few weeks now, most people in hanicapped zones have the liscence plates or placards. I've helped to turn in 2 who weren't displaying ($250 ticket.) And if they are not occupied THAT'S OK!!!! They are supposed to be unoccupied unless someone qualified needs it.
As someone with a hidden disability (which doesn't affect mobility) I've spent some time on the fringes of the disability rights movement (Ed Roberts is the biggest name--although Zona's really cool!) and working with the ADA as a job seeker and job holder. And I say that your hostility to crips (I hope I do not offend, Technopatria) is disturbing. Please educate yourself on these issues, and remember unless you die fairly young, you can expect to have to deal with one or more of these issues. Tell yourself you're temporarily-abled as a thought experiement. Tie something to your leg or carry an extra 50 pounds for a few days to limit your mobility. Borrow a wheelchair and don't get out of it. See what happens. See how inconvient it is. See how people look through you. THEN I might take your arguements seriously. (I don't have a way for you to experience the horror of being unable to pay for proper medical care for your disabilty and the stress that brings on, but belive me--not a picnic.)
BlueBirdPoof

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:27 pm

The alter-able in Or. have a suprise for those that park in disable spots. The state ploice have disabled people in wheelchairs giving out tickets. The state pays for the training and tranport. These are real tickets too. If you flick em any shit they will back off. When your home by your nice warm fireplace a knock will come on your door. It wont be the guy in a wheelchair. It will be a nice policeman and he "will"!! haul your ass to jail. When the wheel chair guys are working they "are" police
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:07 pm

Fab, unjon, just fab! I love it. Do they have a website?
BlueBirdPoof

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:38 pm

BlueBirdPoof wrote:Fab, unjon, just fab! I love it. Do they have a website?

/
Don't know. They lost the funding a while back. Now I see them again at Home Depot & War-Mart stores.

I only use my placard on about one of ten days. Eat the pain. See my sig. line below.
unjonharley

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:43 pm

Hey, you can use your placard as seldom as you like. Just so long as you have it when you NEED it. Since you told us about your ms on the Wheelchair thread, I've been very aware of your sig line and what it might mean.
BlueBirdPoof

Postby glam_daddy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:12 am

I think it has less to do with the vehicle and more to do with the driver. I bring my scooter based art vehicle every year and everyone enjoys it...
glam_daddy

Postby unjonharley » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:59 pm

glam_daddy wrote:I think it has less to do with the vehicle and more to do with the driver. I bring my scooter based art vehicle every year and everyone enjoys it...

/
Right on!

Mine will be mutan iced cream cart. (with a twist)
unjonharley

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy