Radical inclusion of teens

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: Radical inclusion of teens

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:02 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:None of you warned her about the vicious snarks on page two of this thread?

Snark doesn't have to wait until page two- just until the question has been answered seriously. It has, quite well, by multiple people.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Clar-i-ty » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:27 pm

Consider this: you wait an extra year and you are one year wiser, goddess willing. If that's not reason enough for you realize that if you are hurt, nobody can sign for your treatment because you are a minor. If something bad happens, your of age guardian is legally responsible for you. Consider that 5 years from now, again goddess willing, you will be horrified at how little you knew at this age.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby ygmir » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:32 pm

Eric wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:None of you warned her about the vicious snarks on page two of this thread?

Snark doesn't have to wait until page two- just until the question has been answered seriously. It has, quite well, by multiple people.

*waiting for Simon and the "S" reference*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby trilobyte » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:46 pm

Skip the age is a number part for a minute. You've communicated a level of maturity that kind of screams that you're not ready to go without a parent/guardian there to ride shotgun (you really have so little self control you're not sure if it will be possible to wait until you're 18?...wow).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Elderberry » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:12 pm

"Quaneshia Honeycooch" LMFAO I'm not sure which is funnier, the name or the avatar, :shock:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Minxy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:58 am

Wait until you're 18 or get your mom to go with you. It's pretty clear cut. =)

It'll still be there when you get around to it! As someone said earlier, most of us didn't go until we were older. And I would quote everything Eric said as dead on.

Not to sound harsh (really!) but if you can't wait that extra year to "do it right" then you're not ready to go. =P

I hope to meet you in 2013!! My daughter will be 21 that year and going as well.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby A Jester » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:32 am

Go to a regional. Bring your mom.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:22 am

Shambala wrote:...your mother doesn't want you going to this "crazed out drug fest" in the desert. Nothing you say [will] help her...

Shirley, that seems like a rather extrapolated set of assumptions. Given the daughter's apparent naivety, I'd simply assume mom is concerned for her general well-being on a road trip with 50,000 odd strangers.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Sham » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:29 am

Yes, and don't call me Shirley.
Sham

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:56 am

If I was a teen, you can bet I'd get into Burning Man, and I'm sure it wouldn't warp me more than life in general already has!
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:04 am

Hey Bob, who are you calling Odd, Fellow?
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby robrob » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:06 pm

Her Parents say she's too young, but she's old enough for me!

robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm / endor

Postby graidawg » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:30 pm

if it was England she would be legal at 16, just sayin'.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:55 pm

And yet, you persist in coming over here. :twisted:
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby pizzamancer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:28 pm

trilobyte wrote:Skip the age is a number part for a minute. You've communicated a level of maturity that kind of screams that you're not ready to go without a parent/guardian there to ride shotgun (you really have so little self control you're not sure if it will be possible to wait until you're 18?...wow).

Pretty much this.

Coming here and making a post about how BRC is your home is pretty weak (If I had a dime for every post like that I see...). Why don't you come up with a plan to finance your trip and a plan to transport, feed, and hydrate yourself on the playa. Or were you going to ask your mom to pay for everything and take care of the logistics for you?
pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:14 pm

In the mean time, you could run for Miss Iowa. Er, Miss Teen Iowa USA.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby livelaughthrive » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Just to clarify some things, when I was going to go last year I had a camp to stay with and I would pay for everything with my own money. I have financed all my own activities since I was 14, not from an allowance, I got a job. I can not just show up on the playa on my own. As for referring to it as my home, I admit it is cheesy, but it is the best way for me to explain my feelings about the place. Those of you who think I need to wait, thank you for your explanations, and I respect what you have to say.
"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." -Mark Twain
livelaughthrive

Postby Dr Helix » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:59 pm

livelaughthrive wrote:Just to clarify some things, when I was going to go last year I had a camp to stay with and I would pay for everything with my own money. I have financed all my own activities since I was 14, not from an allowance, I got a job. I can not just show up on the playa on my own. As for referring to it as my home, I admit it is cheesy, but it is the best way for me to explain my feelings about the place. Those of you who think I need to wait, thank you for your explanations, and I respect what you have to say.

So I reread your original post and this last one. It's clear to me that you were WAY too young to go last year, and still seem a bit young to go next. You did listen to your Mom last year so that's a plus. You say you've financed all you activities. Doubtful. Mom's probably still paying for rent, insurances, groceries, etc. I figure that's why you listened to her. Didn't want to mess that up. Good girl. Wait till you're 18, get a place to live , a steady job, and THEN go to the Burn. Mom will kiss you and wish you luck as you go because she knows she's raised a responsible person who can take care of herself. And......we're done here.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby AntiM » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:30 am

Dr Helix wrote:. And......we're done here.

Are you kidding? This is eplaya.

LLT, welcome home. Even if you have to wait until 2013.

AS for burners being family, you have just acquired an entire board full of persnickety aunts, eccentric uncles, colorful cousins and those who have disinherited you before they met you. A very dysfunctional family, and we certainly don't all like each other all the time. But we're here for ya, even if we aren't on the same page.

(Yes, Anti M is actually Auntie Em; I've brought nieces and a nephew to the burn... after they were 18).
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Dr Helix » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:21 am

AntiM wrote:
Dr Helix wrote:. And......we're done here.

Are you kidding? This is eplaya.

LLT, welcome home. Even if you have to wait until 2013.

AS for burners being family, you have just acquired an entire board full of persnickety aunts, eccentric uncles, colorful cousins and those who have disinherited you before they met you. A very dysfunctional family, and we certainly don't all like each other all the time. But we're here for ya, even if we aren't on the same page.

(Yes, Anti M is actually Auntie Em; I've brought nieces and a nephew to the burn... after they were 18).
No you are exactly right AntiM. It will go on and on. A bit presumptuous of me there. This kind of thread can live a long time. Hell I just extended it myself. :D
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby A Jester » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:41 am

livelaughthrive wrote:Just to clarify some things, when I was going to go last year I had a camp to stay with and I would pay for everything with my own money. I have financed all my own activities since I was 14, not from an allowance, I got a job. I can not just show up on the playa on my own. As for referring to it as my home, I admit it is cheesy, but it is the best way for me to explain my feelings about the place. Those of you who think I need to wait, thank you for your explanations, and I respect what you have to say.

Seems more mature than most of what I've posted in my life (and half the posts in this thread).

Regardless, we can't steal you from your mom and get you there. So hopefully this will end up being a "it was so good because I waited so long for it." sort of experience.

And I'm pretty serious about attending regionals. Meet Burners in your neck of the woods. If you're ever going to get the nod from mom to go before you're 18, it will probably be because she knows and trusts the people you are travelling with. If you don't get to go, at least you get to hang out with Burners and learn about the culture.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby Elliot » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:20 am

...eccentric uncles,...

Ooooo, me, me!
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

---------------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---------------

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby AntiM » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:58 am

A Jester wrote:

Seems more mature than most of what I've posted in my life (and half the posts in this thread).

Regardless, we can't steal you from your mom and get you there. So hopefully this will end up being a "it was so good because I waited so long for it." sort of experience.

And I'm pretty serious about attending regionals. Meet Burners in your neck of the woods. If you're ever going to get the nod from mom to go before you're 18, it will probably be because she knows and trusts the people you are travelling with. If you don't get to go, at least you get to hang out with Burners and learn about the culture.

... unless the regional is 18 and over. Ours certainly has to be with the Utah laws.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:20 pm

I am not persnickity.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby pizzamancer » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:24 pm

per·snick·et·y   [per-snik-i-tee]
adjective Informal.
1. overparticular; fussy.
2. snobbish or having the aloof attitude of a snob.
3. requiring painstaking care.

Yes you are.
pizzamancer

Postby BBadger » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:25 am

OH HAY GUYS. I have this issue (e.g. bringing a baby to burning man, bringing myself to burning man, bringing something else that isn't such a good idea), and really, I'm already decided on it, but I thought I'd ask you guys your opinion to try and validate my thoughts, and ignore the opinion if it disagrees with what I had in mind.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:40 pm

Why don't you specifically ask a question instead of some nebulous bullshit so we can respond without looking like a bunch of retards.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Rice » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:10 pm

Have you ever been camping?
Do you know how much water, food you are going to need?
How are you getting from your house to the desert?
Do you have health insurance, so you wont bankrupt your family when you get hurt (ok, if you get hurt)?
Have you actually talked, in person, to someone who has attended a burn? (ie: a burner)
You do know that the desert will happily kill you?
It does get over 120F during the day and has been below 32F at night, do you have a plan on how you are going to deal with the varying temperatures?
You are under the age of 21, so, you know it is illegal for you to drink.
The laws of the State of Nevada still apply at Burning Man. No one cares if you run around naked, but they will bust your ass for under-age drinking and drugs laws are enforced as well.
Do you have the financial resources to attend Burning Man? There is so much more involved than just a ticket. I have attended 5 years in a row, here are the conservative estimates on what I spent each year for my burn (not including the ticket): 2007 - $1300, 2008 - $1400, 2009 - $1350, 2010 - $2200, 2011 - $1800

I am not saying you NEVER should go. Just that need to be prepared.

Love Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby wh..sh » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Being a teenage is hard enough I say! Add Burning man to that? I say no! You are too young to think that burning man IS your life. There are other things you know...
Being a teenager is one of the best times of your life. So why not do teenage things like... (Insert things that teenagers do)

Not being preachy, but even though age is a number, we see things differently at different times. You might think you are 16 going on 30... that's natural.

Don't be in a hurry to grow up. Burning man will always be here, but you won't always be 16!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy