Video and photo sharing?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Video and photo sharing?

Postby Theres Always One » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:56 pm

I'm a relative newbie and I was the first of my friends to go to the burn. This past, year, a handful of more people went to the burn (all their first time) and I now I see them posting videos of the temple burn and the man burn where lots of other people who haven't gone can see it. Now, I understand the whole "no video/picture could do it justice" and I agree. But, I kind of feel like some things like the temple burn, man burn, or the sunrise should be kind of left for someone to discover on their own when they get there. And not to say that people can't go out and find this stuff if they wanted to but I would leave it up to them to seek out how much they want to see beforehand. I was mocked for "taking it too seriously" and being "burnier than thou" and every single person who has been disagrees with me. Am I in the wrong here?
Theres Always One

Re: Video and photo sharing?

Postby hookahdude » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:05 pm

Theres Always One wrote:I'm a relative newbie and I was the first of my friends to go to the burn. This past, year, a handful of more people went to the burn (all their first time) and I now I see them posting videos of the temple burn and the man burn where lots of other people who haven't gone can see it. Now, I understand the whole "no video/picture could do it justice" and I agree. But, I kind of feel like some things like the temple burn, man burn, or the sunrise should be kind of left for someone to discover on their own when they get there. And not to say that people can't go out and find this stuff if they wanted to but I would leave it up to them to seek out how much they want to see beforehand. I was mocked for "taking it too seriously" and being "burnier than thou" and every single person who has been disagrees with me. Am I in the wrong here?

Everybody has a different feel for their experience. You feel a deep personal link to these things and, it seems, feel that these moments are somewhat cheapened by mass dissemination. I don't think u are being "Burnier than thou" for feeling this way. Your friends, on the other hand, feel that the event was something they want to share with other people in any way they can. Both are valid.

If you took it upon yourself and were an asshat to your friends because of their desire to share their experience, then I would say that they were giving you are fair assessment of your attitude as "Burnier than thou." If, however, you simply voiced an opinion that what they were doing seemed an odd thing to do or that it was something that you wouldnt choose to do and their response was to mock you and make accusations, then I'd tell your freinds to take a flying fuck at a razor blade donut.

Just remember - this is my opinion and I am an asshat.
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby trilobyte » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:47 pm

Unless you have it on record that you are, in fact, the boss of them, it might have been out of line or 'burnier than thou' to tell them they're doing it wrong. Their are no rules forbidding the filming or sharing of photos or video of any of the burns, for personal purposes.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby hookahdude » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:58 pm

"the boss of them"...

That shit made me laugh..
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby Theres Always One » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:10 pm

I should clarify that by "friends" I mean "total strangers on an internet message board". I was trying to be polite and voice my opinion but it turned into quite the argument so I figured I would just delete my comments and be done with it. Obviously, I'm in the minority here and I'll just let it be.
Theres Always One

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:33 pm

You may be in the minority but that doesn't mean your opinion is invalid. There is never just one correct way to approach the Event.

Personally, I like some of the video's because they bring back happy memories while others drive me crazy because what they show isn't "my" Burn. I definitely agree with you that none of them can capture the experience of being there, but they can help inspire people to attend or even show people who can't or won't attend a slice of why we go; they can even give us regulars a touch of the playa during a bad week while we wait for next year.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:40 pm

Even though I'm on the playa, the photos and videos show me things I missed while there.

It's like having a month to burn instead of a week. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:50 pm

I respect anyone for wanting to live in the moment, personally I have very few photos because I was living in the moment.

But now that I am in the midst of Post Playa Depression, I'm thankful for all those videos and photos that bring me back home.

The bottom line is - I really could not be bothered taking much in the way of photos, but those who were more inclined to do so bring back some fond memories.

Every one burns differently - and judging those who choose to document their burn seems to me to be as un burny as you can get.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Theres Always One » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Its not so much the documenting vs the non documenting. I come home with about 100 photos each year.

What I don't agree with is the sharing of kind of big stuff (man burn/temple burn) with people who haven't been. Its like their showing other people the end to a movie before they go see it. Some things people should be left to find out on their own.
Theres Always One

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:20 pm

Drawingablank wrote:I respect anyone for wanting to live in the moment, personally I have very few photos because I was living in the moment.

But now that I am in the midst of Post Playa Depression, I'm thankful for all those videos and photos that bring me back home.

The bottom line is - I really could not be bothered taking much in the way of photos, but those who were more inclined to do so bring back some fond memories.

Every one burns differently - and judging those who choose to document their burn seems to me to be as un burny as you can get.

I hate to pull a CO on you.. but..

You're doing it right.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm odd in that I don't look at a lot of the pictures and video that come out. I odn't know why. I have some regret for not going to the burns this year.

Still, it's better than posting their sex tapes.
(Why do I have to turn everyhting into a joke?)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Politics & Philosophy