Badger and others more info about the damage to the lake bed

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby ness » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:38 am

An EIR done on the playa! this is comedy......no fresh water, no animal life, no plant life, no insect life and Allanon2 has no life.
ness

Re: why thak you captian god

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:43 am

allanon2 wrote:i dont type well.
i leave off letters and sometimes miss letetrs

but you dotn care as you use it as a way to redriect what I am saying.

ad hom·i·nem ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hm-nm, -nm)
adj.
Appealing to personal considerations rather than to logic or reason: Debaters should avoid ad hominem arguments that question their opponents' motives.
dragonfly Jafe

the thrust SSC trip location went through the area

Postby allanon2 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:08 am

that is now the area with the most dunes.
no way that area had those dunes in 1997
the dunes that phoptographers stoof on were at the edges of the playa but those are not like the dunes on the plaay
those dunes are very differnt they have plants on them and are created by sendment moving in from the edges of the lake and nto in the middle of the lake
the dunes in the middle of the lake bed are very differnt than the dunes i have seen phtogrpahers standing on the edges takign pictures.

the dunes that are now all over the lake bed are very differnt.

just adding both sides of the issue and as he said he has not been to the lake bed since 1997.

ttyl
rex

sampix wrote:For those of you not living in Las Vegas and didn't hear the locally produced NPR public affairs show "State of Nevada," that discussed Burning Man, Rex came off sounding about as intelligent as his typing. http://www.knpr.org/son/archivedetail.cfm?ProgramID=236

In regards to the "plyia" serpents and dunes, I spent weeks covering both years of the land speed record attempts as well as and I can tell you the serpents and dunes were there - we used them to get some elevation when shooting the cars. I haven't been back since '97 so I can't attest to any increase in number, but it is not a new phenomenon. Or would that be penhonmonnh?
allanon2

Re: the thrust SSC trip location went through the area

Postby rodent » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:42 am

allanon2 wrote:that is now the area with the most dunes.
no way that area had those dunes in 1997
the dunes that phoptographers stoof on were at the edges of the playa but those are not like the dunes on the plaay
those dunes are very differnt they have plants on them and are created by sendment moving in from the edges of the lake and nto in the middle of the lake
the dunes in the middle of the lake bed are very differnt than the dunes i have seen phtogrpahers standing on the edges takign pictures.

the dunes that are now all over the lake bed are very differnt.

just adding both sides of the issue and as he said he has not been to the lake bed since 1997.

ttyl
rex

"phoptographers" "stoof" "plaay" "differnt" "sendment" "nto" "phtogrpahers" "takign" "differn"

Proofread your posts!!!

---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)
rodent

Postby ness » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:54 am

WHATS YOUR POINT ALLANON2 , PLEASE TELL US WHAT YOUR FUCKING POINT IS!!!!!! (and try to spell so we can read it)
ness

Postby ness » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:57 am

WHATS YOUR POINT ALLANON2 , PLEASE TELL US WHAT YOUR FUCKING POINT IS!!!!!! (and try to spell so we can read it)
ness

Postby ness » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:57 am

ness

Postby ness » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:01 am

ness

ness

ness

Postby JezebelinHell » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:21 am

Something about BM ruining the sand he races his Neon on or something. I don't know for sure, since I go cross-eyed half-way through most of his posts.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Postby Tancorix » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:49 am

Allanon02, I have a question for you.

Many of the replies to your comments haven't talked about the content itself but about the typos and grammatical errors in your posts. I know that you are a middle school science teacher so obviously you have an education. My question is why do you create posts with so many errors? Honestly, what's going on here? Do you have trouble typing? Is this a keyboard hardware problem? Is the eplaya dropping out on you when you hit submit? Do you have a physical disability that causes the issue? What gives?

It's obvious you are passionate about your cause; you're getting on NPR to express your views which is not easily done. Yet on here your message is being lost in a hail of typos and glaring errors that as others have said causes us to question if we should take you seriously or not. So I hope you don't take this as an attack. I simply want to know once and for all, why do you post with all those glaring errors? Can you answer this honestly and truthfully? And don't be afraid of getting flamed for what you write, if you want to get your message out, then you need to address this. I look forward to your reply, as I'm sure a few others will too.
Tancorix

Postby ness » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:59 am

"dunes" on the lake bed......THE WIND BLOWS NON STOP OUT THERE
IT NO WONDER!!!!! (whats wrong with dunes anyway?)
ness

Postby Tancorix » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:39 pm

A previous post mentioned not typing well....sheesh see what speed reading does for ya.
Tancorix

tancorix I have answerd this before but will do again

Postby allanon2 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:53 am

Tancorix wrote:Allanon02, I have a question for you.

Many of the replies to your comments haven't talked about the content itself but about the typos and grammatical errors in your posts. I know that you are a middle school science teacher so obviously you have an education. My question is why do you create posts with so many errors? Honestly, what's going on here? Do you have trouble typing? Is this a keyboard hardware problem? Is the eplaya dropping out on you when you hit submit? Do you have a physical disability that causes the issue? What gives?

It's obvious you are passionate about your cause; you're getting on NPR to express your views which is not easily done. Yet on here your message is being lost in a hail of typos and glaring errors that as others have said causes us to question if we should take you seriously or not. So I hope you don't take this as an attack. I simply want to know once and for all, why do you post with all those glaring errors? Can you answer this honestly and truthfully? And don't be afraid of getting flamed for what you write, if you want to get your message out, then you need to address this. I look forward to your reply, as I'm sure a few others will too.

two things well maybe 3
1.my right hand types at a differnt speed than my left hand. also my left hand sometimes does not hit a key when i plan on hitting it. Also now that i type here mostly on a laptop It is even worse with the way i type. I was never taught how to type correctly and wheni use a lap top is makes it worse. I also sometiems hit the wrng key with the way i type. looks at my words and you will see the errors and that a letetr next to what i inteneded was typed.
2. my brain is about 30 words ahead of where i am typing. that creates a big roblem if i go back and see what was typed and then continue where my brain was. I lose my train of thought. (now some of you will say I dont have a brain) or a thought and just bash me and thats a whole differnt issue.
3. Ye si could type in a word prcocessor or hook up a real keyboard or use a differnt computer. the problem is that i often dont have the time to do the last two and if i chnage computers i wont post etc..
about a word processor typeing in that. then doing spell check, then cutting and pasting
then correcting all the formatting erros. takea about 3-4 times as logn to post and i dont often see myself takign that time. yes i am a little lazy but well i know i should
4. i can't spell the greatest on some harder words. (my spelling level is about 10th-11th grade)

so is a combination of the aove. I type on a real keyboard for anythign school related and then use spell check. my students never see this problem i have.
and yes on this board its worse probably because it helps me prove a point that many peopel here just want to bash me anyways and really not care about what i have to say. so if anything i type faster, etc......

i will probaably have people bash and criticise this message liek always. rag on me etc.. but i do want to answer your message. uts its sad that people just want to flame

ttyl
rex
allanon2

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:56 am

Actually, we'd flame you even if you could spell... you did come here and start giving us shit in the first place, and you're not a very bright bulb anyway... you just make yourself look ridiculous with your illiteracy.
So how about you just slow down a little and look at what you're doing? If you just can't do that you're only completely wasting your time, you give the impression of an uneducated idiot who doesn't pay much attention; how do you think you're going to get your point across like that?

"Oh yeah, we all better listen to this guy, he obviously knows a thing or two..." Dude, that's the LAST thing anyone thinks when they read your stuff.

Plus the fact that you're full of hot air doesn't help either.

Don't give me that "I'm just too busy to type at a rate that I can handle" BS, otherwise you'd not be wasting your time here at all. Think about it... 2 or 3 well-written posts would have so much more impact than lots and lots of extremely poor ones, and would take less time overall, and would keep the subject closer to your misguided blatherings about the event we're gonna have whether you like it or not.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:01 am

Wow - almost entirely readable. So I understand your issues. But what would you tell one of your students who again and again turned in homework that was written like you typically write here? Even if the content was perfect you wouldn't know because it is so hard to decipher. You could post messages here in latin, but few would be able to understand you if you did. Most people that post here use English - I suggest you do the same.

And when a message is as garbled as most of yours are, it is very difficult to not go off into ad-hominem attacks (wrong as they are). Poorly spelled messages are like loud bursts of annoying static on the radio. They tend to get ignored at best, and the source sought out and eliminated more likely. Which is why people flame you - they want you to go away.

Despite the extra time it takes, I encourage you to do the posts on a word processor, spell check, correct, then post. It will make following your thoughts much easier.

regards, Jafe
dragonfly Jafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:43 am

JezebelinHell wrote:Something about BM ruining the sand he races his Neon on or something. I don't know for sure, since I go cross-eyed half-way through most of his posts.
Darn tooten'!!!!
I don't even bother to read them anymore. Nothing of substance and the replies are a lot more fun!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:12 am

Counties in California may have to submit Environmental Impact Reports, but on Federal Land, it's Environmental Impact Statements--and after poking about in the Environmental sections of the State of Nevada Website, I can't find out what the appropriate document iis there.
An EIS was prepared for the whole of the conservation area, the law that created said conservation area specifically allows for large scale gatherings such as Burning Man. Rexanon (King of the Losers) did not comment on the EIS. Which means that he cannot sue to stop any of it's provisions. Not that he could anyway, given the EPA's "LO" (Lack of Objections) rating. He said he was going to testify at the EA meeting concerning the permit for this year's event, and we got a two year permit! Seems that he can't convince very many people of his views. Perhaps we should funnel small amounts of money his way ala Republicans to Nader. Maybe he could secure us a 3 or 5 year permit.
Unless our boy is going to lead an army of school children into Nevada in the Governator's name to take over the Black Rock Desert, then I doubt there will ever be an EIR. Just another example of his poor understanding of what he claims to be so passionate. He certainly didn't spend the last few months boning up on environmental law.
theCryptofishist

Postby Badger » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:13 am

4. i can't spell the greatest on some harder words. (my spelling level is about 10th-11th grade)

But when you initially came here to the board with your pukings you said that you're a school teacher. Is this not correct? How can it be that you've effctively passed your self off as educated (degreed) yet by your own admission you can't spell and by our observations you seem to be a hair's breadth away from being functionally illiterate.

Did you misrepresent yourself? Did you try passing yourself off with similar disinformation when you spoke to the local news media about your objection to the event? I guess what I'm asking is if you'll cop to not only being a fool but a liar.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby TheJudge » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:43 am

Ya know, why not have an EIS done?

Of course, they approve us every year with their inspection of the city, but I'd like to see more information.

I think a thourough investigation of the playa will show that we are as clean and as leave no trace as we say we are.

But as for the playa serpants, Allanon2, you're on crack.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Postby Tancorix » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:15 am

According to the State of California, there are no teachers credentialed in the state under the name of Rex Skates.

https://teachercred.ctc.ca.gov/teachers/PublicSearchProxy

Check for yourself. I wonder what happened?

Another tidbit: Almost everything in this thread mirrors the "This is for all threads to goto about www.stopburningman.org.

This guy isn't going to change because of anything we say. He is getting media attention though and that makes him dangerous in some respects.

Another observation: Badger has cornered him with facts time after time and he still keeps coming back, changing his approach just enough or opening a new thread so the same arguments get rehashed again and again. We are sharpening his arguments with our rebuttals, and making his job easier.

What to do.....what to do? This is an interesting problem.
Tancorix

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:26 am

Perhaps we should create an "FAQ" regarding claims that BM causes damage to the environment. Break down his claims into the few key points he is making, then include all available data (with cites).

Then everytime he posts with the same old "information" the topic can be re-directed to the FAQ.

What are his claims? I recall;

1) Frog Pond being damaged by BM dust abatement program
2) Playa Serpents made worse by dust kicked up by BM
3) Burn scars create (dangerous) holes
4) BM site becoming a depression
5) The Playa was better before BM came to town

anything I missed?
dragonfly Jafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:45 am

Tancorix wrote:According to the State of California, there are no teachers credentialed in the state under the name of Rex Skates.

Alas, under "Rex Scates" this is not true. And your arguement about sharpening his wits is note. I haven't actually said what I think I'd do.
theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:58 am

TheJudge wrote:Ya know, why not have an EIS done?
I'm not sure that there is a basis for that. Unless they wanted to give us a 10 or 15 year permit. The management plan for the conservation area (approved last year) was 3 volumes and had many maps--therefore was quite expensive to print, even apart from the research etc that they had to do for the information.
theCryptofishist

Postby Tancorix » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:17 pm

I was wrong on the teaching credential. Mea culpa.

For a teacher I can't help but expect better posts than he's putting out. One can pick up a copy of MS Office 2003 for Students and Teachers for $149 or less if they shop around, and posts can be run through a word processor before being dropped on the board. There truly is no viable excuse.

As for his arguments, we're going to have to provide full cites from now on. It's about the only thing he can accept...and even if he doesn't others who come across his work certainly will. And that's what counts.... influencing those people.

This sword cuts both ways, when he makes a statement we should demand more accountability and scientific proof from him. Just because his ass gets jarred around a bit more in a Neon doesn't mean squat about how bad playa serpents are. What does the overseeing authority (BLM)think? Raise the bar, demand more...next time he makes a claim I'm thinking that's what I'll be asking for.
Tancorix

badger youwork at stanford correct?

Postby allanon2 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:13 pm

Badger wrote:

But when you initially came here to the board with your pukings you said that you're a school teacher. Is this not correct? How can it be that you've effctively passed your self off as educated (degreed) yet by your own admission you can't spell and by our observations you seem to be a hair's breadth away from being functionally illiterate.

Did you misrepresent yourself? Did you try passing yourself off with similar disinformation when you spoke to the local news media about your objection to the event? I guess what I'm asking is if you'll cop to not only being a fool but a liar.

if thats so someof your smartest PHD"s can barelylive on their own
does thatmeanthey are nto smart?

no reasonto answer as intelgence is a braodmeasure and everyone has some defiencies.

most teachers have a mathlevel under 10th to 11th grade so does that mean they shoudl ntoteach becuase their math level is only 10th grade?

always lookign to bash me and catch me onthings
sigh
allanon2

umm who ever said it was rex skates except BMORG

Postby allanon2 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:15 pm

its rex scates
as i always type

BMORG mispelled it as rex skates

Tancorix wrote:According to the State of California, there are no teachers credentialed in the state under the name of Rex Skates.

Another tidbit: Almost everything in this thread mirrors the "This is for all threads to goto about www.stopburningman.org.

This guy isn't going to change because of anything we say. He is getting media attention though and that makes him dangerous in some respects.

Another observation: Badger has cornered him with facts time after time and he still keeps coming back, changing his approach just enough or opening a new thread so the same arguments get rehashed again and again. We are sharpening his arguments with our rebuttals, and making his job easier.

What to do.....what to do? This is an interesting problem.
allanon2

if BLMdoes nto have firm evidence either way how can I?

Postby allanon2 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:18 pm

It is BLM'sjob to study the area and they keep sayign that ummwell we are studing it
or umm well its not on federal land.
etc..

but the dunes are being studied acording to BLM yet what they said they wouldhave 3-4 years ago (mapsof them and size) they have yet to release that data

i have asked them and they still dont say anythign except wellwe are still studing it.
so if blm does not have data noone has firm data.
youcan get a private study to say almost anything. I have FOIA documents that go both ways.

Tancorix wrote:I was wrong on the teaching credential. Mea culpa.

For a teacher I can't help but expect better posts than he's putting out. One can pick up a copy of MS Office 2003 for Students and Teachers for $149 or less if they shop around, and posts can be run through a word processor before being dropped on the board. There truly is no viable excuse.

As for his arguments, we're going to have to provide full cites from now on. It's about the only thing he can accept...and even if he doesn't others who come across his work certainly will. And that's what counts.... influencing those people.

This sword cuts both ways, when he makes a statement we should demand more accountability and scientific proof from him. Just because his ass gets jarred around a bit more in a Neon doesn't mean squat about how bad playa serpents are. What does the overseeing authority (BLM)think? Raise the bar, demand more...next time he makes a claim I'm thinking that's what I'll be asking for.
allanon2

Re: tancorix I have answerd this before but will do again

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:57 pm

allanon2 wrote:(my spelling level is about 10th-11th grade)

No, Wrecks, I don't think it is...

And yes, that does mean dummies like you should not be teaching dog obedience classes, much less humans of any kind.

Oh, sorry, did that come out a little harsh? I'm sorry... here's a sticker for the Neon that says 426 Hemi. That should cheer you up.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy