What's your favorite of the 10 principles?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: What's your favorite of the 10 principles?

Postby Packoderm » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:41 pm

hookahdude wrote:Nipples?

LOL
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:28 pm

hookahdude wrote:Nipples?

No "s". No rising from the dead.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Leo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:38 pm

My favorite is #12: Run Around Naked
Best Regards,
Leo
Leo

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:45 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/09/19/philippines.sex.strike/

#13....if liz estrada aint happy, then NO ONE is happy.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:21 pm

#14 Don't fuck with my trip.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:59 am

Radical Inclusion because it humanizes those who may be thought of as outsiders, can have the biggest impact in furthering understanding, leads to acceptance and begets community.

That said, it's probably the hardest to truly achieve (which makes it all the more something to strive for).
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby marck » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:10 pm

jkisha wrote:I like them all--as long as none of them are taken too seriously!

The 10 Principles are more what I'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.
May Shai-Hulud clear the path for you.

Kомиссáр Logan
Over here sand blows; over there sand blows.
Over there a rich man waits; over here I wait.
Secrets give birth to more secrets
marck

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Playawaste Raiders

Postby marck » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:55 pm

Ten Reimagined Principles of Burning Man

Radical Exclusion
If you are good looking and wear elaborate outfits. Or if you own a Mutant Vehicle. Or run a large Theme Camp. You are more important then people who haven't put that much effort into the community. Remember you are better than those who's job it is to provide this playground for your entertainment.

Gifting
Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value. If you are asked for something you are obligated to give it. If you see something you like you may take it.

Decommodification
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial advertising. Any bartering or money exchanged prior to the event does not count. This includes travel packages where no participation at the event is required. The exceptions to this are the exchange of sex for drugs or any transaction done in Center Camp. However, it is also expected to mention the corporation who has funded your project, mutant vehicle or sound camp.

Radical Self-Entitlement
You are a God(dess), you deserve everything and nothing should be expected of you. Your needs come first and before all others. It is permissible what you like without reason or remorse. There are no boundaries here, there are no rules, all lines may be crossed.

Radical Self-Expression
It is your gift to others. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. The recipient must learn to accept this and deal with it.

Communal Effort
The individual is more important than any camp or village. The community only exists to serve the individual. Our community values unquestioning cooperation, collaboration and servitude.

Leave No Evidence
Our community respects the Law. When we are finished with our act of self-expression we must endeavor to leave no physical trace of our activities. We must clean up after ourselves and the area we have expressed ourselves all over so that no evidence can be directly linked to us. Or, whenever possible, to leave such places in a manner to implicate others.

Radical Participation
We believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal participation. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to play. Everything brought to our community is there to be interacted with. There are no expectations in return.

Immediacy
Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and the goals of our inner selves. The reality of those around us is inconsequential and secondary to our own desires. No idea can substitute for this experience.

Kомиссáр Logan
marck

Postby trilobyte » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Be Excellent To Each Other

Wait, that may have been from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby deutlich » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:17 pm

Radical Inclusion.

I'm a mixed baby. I've been fucked with hard for being black and I've been fucked with for being "too" white.

Problem is, I'm both. BOTH. I love a community that doesn't give a crap one way or another.
deutlich

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Isotopia » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Just substitute the N-word in place of hippie, and it's no less ugly.

Oh, bullshit. No one deserves to be ragged on because of their skin color, sex, sexuality, beliefs, etc... Really.

Hippies? Well, they're helpful reminders of why the mothers of some animals eat their young.
Isotopia

Postby goathead » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:52 am

Kind of strange

I know which ones got my attention when I first started.
but over the years the rest of them started to make more sense.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby TomServo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:17 pm

My names TomServo, and I'm a burner..

Aren't the 10 principles, things most of us already know? While it may be just another list, it makes a hell of alot more sense, than the 12 steps I'm fed daily, at my recovery home. I keep a copy of the 10 principles to read at required AA and NA meetings. I've tried reading it to a couple housemates, and it drives them nuts..so I keep reading it. Ive assigned the "people" of Burning Man as my higher power, and my sponsor is Brownie, our house dog. I came to this house voluntarily, and often wonder why?
I hate lists...but compared to the 12 step nonsense, BM's 10 principles are tangible, more meaningful tenets.

are we a Cult yet?
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:22 am

ixnay on the ultcay....

you remember what happened last time when that damn congressman visited...

the MOOP MAP was BLOOD RED that year.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby deutlich » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 am

Isotopia wrote:Oh, bullshit. No one deserves to be ragged on because of their skin color, sex, sexuality, beliefs, etc... Really.

+Eleventy Billion
deutlich

Postby graidawg » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:51 pm

TomServo wrote:My names TomServo, and I'm a burner..

Hi TOMSERVO *applause*
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby lucky420 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Hang in there TS
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Packoderm » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Isotopia wrote:
No one deserves to be ragged on because of their skin color, sex, sexuality, beliefs, etc... Really.

No argument from me on that sentiment, but I don't know how sincere you are about the beliefs part. I think that it may actually be hobos you don't like - not hippies.
Packoderm

Postby marck » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:37 pm

Packoderm wrote:
Isotopia wrote:
No one deserves to be ragged on because of their skin color, sex, sexuality, beliefs, etc... Really.

No argument from me on that sentiment, but I don't know how sincere you are about the beliefs part. I think that it may actually be hobos you don't like - not hippies.

No, I'm pretty sure it's "hippies", but I think it has a different meaning for me than it does for you.

Kомиссáр Logan
marck

Postby Packoderm » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:00 pm

I've kind of thought of hippies as anyone from John Lennon and Wavy Gravy to Easy Rider, and I've thought of opponents of hippies as the rednecks that shot Dennis Hopper and Easy Rider. It was the film Easy Rider that I watched when I was about 7 years old that turned me against rednecks and more toward the hippie side of things. Still, I sometimes hesitate on making ugly, blanket generalities about rednecks because there's a lot to be said for Charlie Daniels and his ilk, which teabaggers weirdo-cons, and other conformists might consider to be hippies anyway. Maybe it's eplaya that has so many conformists, and many Burning Man participants themselves value the choice of cultural and counter-cultural persuasion.
Packoderm

Postby robrob » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:37 pm

packoderm, i've met "rednecks" that would give you the shirt off their back and "hippies" that are lowlife sacks of shit, fwiw.
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm / endor

Postby Packoderm » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:39 pm

robrob wrote:packoderm, i've met "rednecks" that would give you the shirt off their back and "hippies" that are lowlife sacks of shit, fwiw.

Me too, hence my reluctance to generalize. By the way, I prefer to go by the name of Zeke.
Packoderm

Postby BBadger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:08 am

A "hippie" a subspecies of the social lamprey--a hypocritical social mooch, who damns social institutions, while critically depending on them to finance his degenerate existence. A prototypical hippie hero is depicted in Figure 1. Here the hippie is cutting the last bridge to the dysfunctional "real world"--the source of police, cities, pollution, and violence--leaving the hippies to enjoy their free life in a venerable hippie garden of Eden: of flowers, Volkswagon buses, music concerts, and free bud for all. What the hippies don't realize is that all their luxuries are the byproduct of the "real world": the electricity, the gasoline, the food they eat. A reversal of this painting would depict the real world utility man earning his living by shutting off the breaker switch on the hippie party across the bank because the hippies thought to steal the power from some person's cabin.

hippie.jpg
Figure 1: A hippie.
hippie.jpg (99.33 KiB) Viewed 811 times

Hippies transcend all races, creeds, and ethnicities--plaguing them all in the process. To believe that "hippie" is a derogatory term on par with racial slurs is simply incorrect, as that would imply that there are less emotionally charged words to describe such a person. A hippie is a hippie, not a homeless person, not a hobo. Hippies are not simply alternative culture people. Hippies gravitate towards alternative cultures and their believers as a means to exploit people who have higher expectations of human beings. Don't let your guard down. Hippies are a blight that must be resisted and never tolerated.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby graidawg » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:26 am

BBadger wrote:A "hippie" a subspecies of the social lamprey--a hypocritical social mooch, who damns social institutions, while critically depending on them to finance his degenerate existence. A prototypical hippie hero is depicted in Figure 1. Here the hippie is cutting the last bridge to the dysfunctional "real world"--the source of police, cities, pollution, and violence--leaving the hippies to enjoy their free life in a venerable hippie garden of Eden: of flowers, Volkswagon buses, music concerts, and free bud for all. What the hippies don't realize is that all their luxuries are the byproduct of the "real world": the electricity, the gasoline, the food they eat. A reversal of this painting would depict the real world utility man earning his living by shutting off the breaker switch on the hippie party across the bank because the hippies thought to steal the power from some person's cabin.

hippie.jpg

Hippies transcend all races, creeds, and ethnicities--plaguing them all in the process. To believe that "hippie" is a derogatory term on par with racial slurs is simply incorrect, as that would imply that there are less emotionally charged words to describe such a person. A hippie is a hippie, not a homeless person, not a hobo. Hippies are not simply alternative culture people. Hippies gravitate towards alternative cultures and their believers as a means to exploit people who have higher expectations of human beings. Don't let your guard down. Hippies are a blight that must be resisted and never tolerated.

can i steal this? its brilliant!
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Packoderm » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:58 am

My hero hippie would be a particular Math professor who shows up everyday to class barefooted. He has a full beard, long grey hair, and is the coolest person I have ever met. His love of math is infectious. He has never so much as hinted on snark. He's strictly a vegetarian who eat only organic fare. He lives up in the hills and commutes via carpool. I could go on and on, but your generalities, albeit intelligent sounding, is crap. Just go to the hills above Grass Valley, and you'll find hippies that are as hard working as anybody else, and a whole lot less judgmental than what I'm finding here. Hell, just go outside of Bolinas and you'll see hippies pulling a till with a draft horse. No, your generalities is not always accurate. I surmise these hippies would never go to an indulgence festival like Burning Man, so maybe you have witnessed something different than real hippies.
Packoderm

Postby Packoderm » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 am

And yes, I'll concede that the hippies out in Golden Gate Park fit your description, but that's the city. Still, it's fun to hang out with them on occasion. They're bringing me out to that part of the city, renting a room, eating pizza on the Haight, and other income for the surrounding neighborhood, so even the ones you call useless are contributing even if indirectly. Without them, the Haight would be still more like the Tenderloin.

There is also this hippie festival in the Nevada desert that probably I would not go to and spend a bunch of money attending if the demographics weren't so eccentric - instead of that like a gun and coin show.
Packoderm

Postby marck » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:47 am

Packoderm, This what I meant when I said about our definitions differ.

Just like when I think of skinheads I guessing many people would view the term in a negative manner. I grew up around the old punk movement of the 70s, and the skinheads of the mid-eighties were not the racists that have become associated with the term.

I also knew far too many examples of the negative hippie stereotype and far too few good people who fit your descriptions. I have many stories of how naive many of the flower children of the 60s were and about how many of the hippies back then got into the scene because they saw a good opportunity to take without contributing.

To contrast against this, a very good acquaintance of mine, who past away last winter, would have loved to attend BurningMan except his health prevented him. He was a tinkerer, a builder, an entrepreneur, and tried to be a mentor for many of the local kids. He was a locally known figure in the Tower District of Fresno(California) called Hippie Dave. So I have an example that both supports and is an exception to your own generalizations.

My guess is that you may find many attendees of BurningMan that fit your view of what a hippie should be, but I wouldn't call them hippies. I use the term, on this forum, in a derogatory manner. I don't see a reason why I should change that.

Kомиссáр Logan
marck

Postby Packoderm » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:55 am

Peace.
Packoderm

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:05 pm

we are family!

fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:10 pm

i got all my sisters with me!
Attachments
the-manson-family-original.jpg
the-manson-family-original.jpg (55.75 KiB) Viewed 774 times
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy