Appeal to happy burners

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Appeal to happy burners

Postby hyperspacetraveler » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:14 pm

You were just the icing on the cake of all the negative reply's sending my way, im not sure how moderators or members usually welcome newcomers , but stress is obviously playing its part, I understand your point, and i hope i feel comfortable enough to stay , but that will depend on how many members feel the need to respond so critical to a thread I created, but with 40000+ people all without a ticket i guess they are getting tired of any post, my post was not for needing tickets , i already did that by offering trades, MY post was a chance for everyone to discuss how scalpers could stop doing what they are doing, the only reply form everyone is dont buy them, is that how burners really tackle the issue of scarcity, it reminds me of a movement in haight ashbury where eventually people had to return to reality, dont get me wrong i love haight ashbury, but considering how much planning you say goes on by people making this happen , then surely there is a discussion somewhere someone is having that maybe i could be apart of, hopefully an actual action not inaction is happening to solve the real issues of limited supply...... if you dont the burner community will fail to free market entrepreneurs invading all your connections to the allspark.......... as far as my job goes its not corporate, half my year is holidays, but its sporadic , and if ticket sales are not increased next year , then i will be in the same place as this time...... Honestly im trying to use burner principals to make this ticket happen, not paying more than face value, offering trades, rides, writing letters to people gifting, im trying it all, and it is really ok if i dont make it, I dont feel entitled to being at burning man, Its that everything in my heart and soul wants to propose to my lover, and with such good intention going into that , i was really offended by the lack of support from a community that is suppose to be so ingrained in community and acceptance....a moderator really spouting nevada laws in reply to me saying event planners should make scalping a denied entry offence??????just like sneaking people in, that can get you kicked out.
regardless now, all i can do is bite my tongue, hope there is someone who has a heart to choose me over others, I apologize for quoting an anrold movie to offend you moderator, maybe everyone should go to bed on here so when a new post comes up it doesnt incite hatred but rather encourages participation............( in responce to a moderator calling out my bullshit, which there was some bullshit)................. Please my appeal to happy burners first; lets have a disussion about how we can stop scalpers, more in debth than don't buy them. I'm talking future possibilities not momentary, and second;i appeal to all the happy burners to sell me or trade me or gift me there ticket to propose to my lover already going to the playa......... love to you all (even the cranky members and moderators)
Last edited by hyperspacetraveler on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyperspacetraveler

Re: Appeal to happy burners

Postby lemur » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:23 pm

pro tip:

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby hyperspacetraveler » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:54 pm

huh this place is weird like some mary prankster joke
hyperspacetraveler

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:58 pm

I will respond as gently as I can

hyperspacetraveler wrote:but with 40000+ people all without a ticket

40,000? That's almost double the number of people who did get tickets, and the event is only scheduled to grow to 70,000 by 2015 (I think that's the correct year). You're implying 90,000 want to be there this year- if that's actually true the event may have just outgrown its fragile playa home. I would agree it's a couple of thousand, but no way is it that many.

a moderator really spouting nevada laws in reply to me saying event planners should make scalping a denied entry offence??????

I know- how dare the planners actually follow the laws of the state the event resides in. Just like they have to follow all those drug laws, underage drinking laws, food safety laws...

Don't assume the BMorg likes the scalping- there's a reason they push the community to only pay printed ticket price- as the ticket sales are currently set up that's about all they can do to control it. They can't legally deny someone with a ticket purchased from a scalper access under Nevada law, they can't prevent the scalper from selling the scalpers property under Nevada law. We don't know if they expected this or not, but it's hard to predict something that has never occurred. There will probably be a long look at the ticket situation after the event this year, like was stated in your other thread.

I think everyone here understands why you're upset, and many of us agree with at least some of what you're saying (I'm not a big fan of the scalpers either, but I understand how little control the BMorg has currently once a ticket is out of their hands). But you've come in with a very aggressive attitude in just a few posts, and the people on here responded in kind. Remember, no-one here works for the BMorg except maybe as volunteers; and the Moderators are all volunteers just trying to keep this bit of the internet running smoothly.

I think you'll find this to be an incredibly informative, helpful, and useful little part of the greater community, but just like on the real playa itself don't expect everyone here to agree with everything you say. Everyone has strong opinions on here, and we welcome more. I hope you do stick around, you'll see a change once the event is over and everyone is sharing stories. If you want a better feel for the people, read some of the "bar" threads, or the "Fuck" and "RIP" threads.

May I just add (and this is not meant to be rude)- more people will read your posts if you break them into sentences & paragraphs. It's incredibly hard to read a long run on sentence (I only scanned for the jist of your post)

And remember- the eplaya is not the playa. It's a lot more like the Cacophony Society in here.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby hyperspacetraveler » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:03 pm

Please my appeal to happy burners. First; lets have a disussion about how we can STOP scalpers, more in debth than don't buy them. I'm talking future possibilities, not momentary, Second; i appeal to all the happy burners to sell me, or trade me, or gift me there ticket to propose to my lover already going to the playa......... love to you all (even the cranky members and moderators)...first off it IS called the playa, this site is called the eplaya so you get it right, second 40000 is a typo for 4000 honest mistake.....
Maybe i should start the first suggestion of how to stop scalpers and get the ball moving, ontop of my mind suggestion ,maybe people unable to go can after buying a ticket can sell it back to burning man?, and burning man will have a waiting list of people who put a non refundable deposits on tickets to be, this deposit would be small, and would cover the costs of administrative duties of transfering ownership. As far as entering the gates, I.D will be compared to the ticket that would be associated with the purchaser.... really trying to start a positive dialogue, looking for solutions! not law citations , no where in the law does it state its against the law to sneak someone into burning man, then why can i be refused entry??????? unless there is a law stating scalping is legal, an actual law im talking about , not a lack of law, then event organizers can refuse entry on any grounds related to scalping. Where are the thinkers and doers on this site??

- the trolls are coming and im scared!!!
Last edited by hyperspacetraveler on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hyperspacetraveler

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:05 pm

Giving this a quick nudge over to politics and philosophy, where I think 'bigger picture' discussions belong.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby The CO » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:40 pm

Yeah, or, we could just write this off as what it is and ignore everything after this post.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Trishntek » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:26 am

The ticket threads in general have been avoided by my eyes, and this thread seems to get at the crux of the issue in my opinion. Instead of criticizing how the OP writes, my mind wanders more to the ticket purchase itself.

The tickets go on sale in January, for Christ's sake, that is plenty of time to make up your fucking mind and get it or not get it. If somebody waits until summer to make up their minds, it is buyer beware as far as I'm concerned. Yeah scalping sucks, as long as someone is willing to make up their mind that the event is worth whatever they pay, who am I to say, "No way is the event worth that much."

For someone to get uptight about the limitations of the event's census, is simply nonsense. Personally, I foresee regionals becoming more prevalent and becoming week-long events. Use of private land is becoming more attractive as land owners seek new means of profit. The logistics of TTITD have become expensive and the encroachment of LEO inhibiting liberty.

Any event has limitations either by the size of the container, or the law of the land. Logistics become increasingly complicated to the point where the principles are lost in a cloud of making things more "efficient" and "safe" and "orderly". An event such as Burning Man will eventually consume itself.

What I mean by that is allowing package deals which offer the tourist to waltz in with the clothes on his or her back and be catered the entire week,,,,, for a phenominal fee of course. How is that any different than someone selling a ticket for 5 times the price? Some folks say, "It's just a matter of convenience for those who are too busy to be bothered with the mundane issue of preparing one's self for the experience." I'm sorry, I thought that was supposed to be part of the experience.

Then there is the burgeoning electronic communications systems coming to the playa. Personally, I find it refreshing to see so many people without a fucking phone strapped to their ear or their nose pointing at the screen as they text. Really? I think that is sad. So much for face-to-face interactivity. These compromises slowly but surely chew away at the humanity of Black Rock City. And that is what I treasure most,,,, getting in touch with my own humanness,,,, back to basics kinda thing.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby AntiM » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:50 am

no where in the law does it state its against the law to sneak someone into burning man, then why can i be refused entry???????

Actually, that's in the BLM permit, and sneaking someone in could be seen as a federal offense.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Elderberry » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:56 am

Wish I would have ignored the first post.
The CO wrote:Yeah, or, we could just write this off as what it is and ignore everything after this post.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:50 am

Eric wrote:I will respond as gently as I can

hyperspacetraveler wrote:but with 40000+ people all without a ticket

40,000? That's almost double the number of people who did get tickets, and the event is only scheduled to grow to 70,000 by 2015 (I think that's the correct year). You're implying 90,000 want to be there this year- if that's actually true the event may have just outgrown its fragile playa home. I would agree it's a couple of thousand, but no way is it that many.

Thank you, Eric, that leaped out at me, as well
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Foxfur » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:55 am

What do you, OP, plan to do besides whine, piss, and moan?
What the fuck could possibly work better than NOT BUYING THE TICKETS?
You could go all Ted Kaczinski on their asses. Or Theodore Strileski for all I care.
If you don't like what others are doing why don't you be original and propose a solution.
Beyond not buying them I really don't give a shit about what to do.
Making it a huge offense and reason for gate denial is childish and pedantic. As if we should trample people's constitutional rights because your pussy hurts. Someone is always going to do something you disagree with. Get a helmet, some valium, and a clue. Life isn't all about you.
Wow, I feel better. I'm gonna go do something productive like get MY shit ready for the burn!
stupidtyl.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th - 404 Village Not Found

Postby ygmir » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:09 am

Foxfur wrote:What do you, OP, plan to do besides whine, piss, and moan?
You could go all Ted Kaczinski on their asses. Or Theodore Strileski for all I care.
If you don't like what others are doing why don't you be original and propose a solution.
Making it a huge offense and reason for gate denial is childish and pedantic. As if we should trample people's constitutional rights because your pussy hurts. Someone is always going to do something you disagree with. Get a helmet, some valium, and a clue. Life isn't all about you.
Wow, I feel better. I'm gonna go do something productive like get MY shit ready for the burn!
stupidtyl.jpg

*glowing look of admiration*....
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elderberry » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:59 pm

ygmir wrote:
Foxfur wrote:What do you, OP, plan to do besides whine, piss, and moan?
stupidtyl.jpg

*glowing look of admiration*....

This one's definitely a quick study! :D :) :shock: 8)
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby ygmir » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:01 pm

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
jkisha wrote:
ygmir wrote:*glowing look of admiration*....

as obviously limber as he is, he must be.......... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Foxfur » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:10 pm

ygmir wrote::wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
jkisha wrote:
ygmir wrote:*glowing look of admiration*....

as obviously limber as he is, he must be.......... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Speaking of which, here's a post from a blog I'm fond of:
http://redneckfag.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-to-suck-your-own-cock.html
News you can use.
(Anyone know a good chiropractor?)
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby gyre » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:52 pm

There are ways around a sold ticket approach, even in nevada.

Contracts have been used for art already, that affect resales.
gyre

Postby BBadger » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:02 pm

There are some people who were regrettably caught off guard and unable to attend because of the ticket sell-out. However, for many, I see this sell-out as a form of Darwinism, and that it is has done BM a great service in keeping such riff-raff from degrading the event. Elitism? None at all, because those such people have shown their colors, and need to "evolve" both responsibly and mentally, before being allowed into the grown-ups party.

No hyperspacetraveler, the scalpers didn't prevent you from attending, you fucked up by not buying a ticket in the fucking 6-8 months they were available at cost. Following your pattern of failure, if there were no scalpers you probably would still not have a ticket anyway because they'd remain sold out.

In the end, this is just another bit of eplaya moop that lumps blame on non-factors, avoiding the source of real blame: the late buyer. Learn from it, or don't, but those who do will be the ones with tickets.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby knowmad » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:32 pm

I Nominate Ticket whiners for the top 10 Deuschbag/Fucktards of BM 2011.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
knowmad

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:38 am

i love lamp.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby delle » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:48 am

Put all the money you saved this year by not going in a safe place, then buy your ticket next year during the advanced sales.

Repeat every year.

No muss, no fuss, no worries. You'll have your ticket under the tree every Christmas!
Worry is a misuse of imagination
delle

Postby Elderberry » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:54 am

Can't do that. It's too easy and too logical. I think I'll just wait until the last minute because I'm not sure if I will able to go. You never know how the planets will align and my aura might not be just right. I'm sure this year was just a fluke and even if they do sell out I will be in denial and already have practiced complaining here on eplaya so I will be prepared to bitch about not getting a ticket next year.
delle wrote:Put all the money you saved this year by not going in a safe place, then buy your ticket next year during the advanced sales.

Repeat every year.

No muss, no fuss, no worries. You'll have your ticket under the tree every Christmas!
JK
Elderberry

Postby Foxfur » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:32 am

jkisha wrote:Can't do that. It's too easy and too logical. I think I'll just wait until the last minute because I'm not sure if I will able to go. You never know how the planets will align and my aura might not be just right. I'm sure this year was just a fluke and even if they do sell out I will be in denial and already have practiced complaining here on eplaya so I will be prepared to bitch about not getting a ticket next year.
delle wrote:Put all the money you saved this year by not going in a safe place, then buy your ticket next year during the advanced sales.

Repeat every year.

+10

I'd buy my ticket as soon as they went on sale even if I had only a 1% chance of being able to go. I can always gift it later which I believe would be as good as being there :D
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:36 pm

Repeat every year.

What was it last year, 1000 tickets available? Oh boy, we can have a little echo of the great ticket dearth just in time for Santa to get his jollies.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby bluesbob » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:46 am

Mary Prankster and I were classmates in grade school.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Return to Politics & Philosophy