I can'd decide if it's worth it...

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: I can'd decide if it's worth it...

Postby Aldebaran » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:31 am

I’m bringing my Dad for this first time this year. When I have returned back to Scotland over the years he has always been genuinely interested and fascinated by my playa stories and adventures. So with the attitude that life is too short – he will be in tow with me this year. I don’t plan to babysit him, I’m going to write down his arm with a sharpie our address, I’ve made sure he has read the survival guide and understands the principles. I’ve recruited him to help within our camp and the rest well is left to himself and the playa.

But most of all I feel blessed that I can share such an experience with one of my parents as I know a good few of us could never share something so raw with them.

Have fun all and especially those bringing those VIP’s along with them!
Better to burn out than to fade away...
Aldebaran

Postby Raymaker » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:28 am

If he can walk (or cycle) a decent distance without collapsing then take him.

I hadn't been on holiday with my parents since I was 15, my mother died when I was 42 and by the time my father was 74 I decided I should go on holiday with him. Not living in the same city as him I had no idea of his general level of health, well how it had deteriorated. I took him to Cuba for two weeks, but it was at the airport that I realised what a struggle it could end up being, usually a 10 minute walk for me to the terminal took us over 30 minutes, he just couldn't walk very far at all without having to take a rest.

We had our up and downs in Cuba, but I remember fondly seeing him ride a horse for the first time, watching him devour ice cream like a 14 year old child, we caught up on a lot of talking, with hindsight there are things I could have organised better to help him (I should have guessed even though I didn't actually know of beforehand) and we did have a great time. Within two years he died, so it turned out to be one of the best things I did, for him and for me.

So, yes take him.
Raymaker

Postby Packoderm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:40 pm

OK, so where's your father to be if you do bring him? I'd like to come over and visit. Does he play dominoes?
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby tffy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:24 am

The father plays dominoes - but chess is his favorite. :) Not too sure where we'll be - camping around an early-entry-father-of-a-friend who's supposed to get us some space... I'd guess somewhere around B or C and 4:30ish...but that's just going off of last years' location. Look up Gene Gisin on the playa finder computer in center camp, and come on by!!! :)

-Gene
tffy

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy