Retarded Radio DJ made us miss temple burn

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Retarded Radio DJ made us miss temple burn

Postby captain mcguiver » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:15 am

My entire camp missed the Temple Burn because the idiot Dj'ng on 94.5 said it happened at 10pm. We watched people returning to camp at 9:30 and realized we had missed it.

Thanks a lot you jerk! Get your info right. Get out of your trailer and shut up if you don't know what you are talking about.
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Postby III » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:57 am

bw ha.

"if it's on the radio, it must be true."

next thing, you'll tell us that you believe the rangers...
III

I'm an idiot.

Postby captain mcguiver » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:34 pm

Good point, I was explaining to the Newbies how fun radio is because of all the rumors and tricks, etc.

However, this was the "FCC licensed"-almost commercial-fair and balanced-station that was giving out PSA's on saftey, exodus, etc. The context was extremely truthfull.

I'm all about screwing some people up and making them believe the Man has already burned or BM is cancelled or something, but to "trick" us into missing what I feel is the apex of my BM experience would be evil if I thought that is what actually happened. Unfortunately, I believe it was just plain stupididity on the part of the DJ, at which a whole crew of virgins missed a not to be missed event.

We had a blast anyway. Poo on the Dj. I'll set up my own station next year! (If the FCC lets me, doh!)

CM
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

temple burn didn't end at 9.30

Postby PureJoy » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:05 pm

when I left the scene at about 3.30am after more than 7 hours of pure joy it was still burning... and people around it truly enjoying the sheer intensity of these burning moments. trust the signs.
PureJoy

Radio on the Playa

Postby Dr. Zarkov » Wed May 26, 2004 6:49 pm

I posted this on another topic, but I think it applies here as well.

Well, I guess nobody here heard it, but Radio Free Burning Man was broadcasting just like it has since 1994. We were a legal, low-power station but we had live DJs playing music and information 24 hours a day when we were broadcasting, and our signal could reach most of the Playa. We deliberately mount only small speakers so we won't blast the neighbors in the immediate vicinity of the station, but otherwise you should have been able to pick us up on your boxes.

I was camped at the Nile Room, across from the Solo Collective and we did have a problem with Radio Electra, which was right across the street and made it impossible to pick up any other channel on our radio. Their exterior speakers were loud at times, but the guy who ran the place was nice enough to turn them down when we asked.

I could only pick up BMIR on the exodus on Tuesday and the information on traffic was consistently 30 minutes late -- telling people it was a good time to leave because traffic was moving when an accident had it all backed up, then reporting the accident after it had been cleared and traffic was moving again. In 2002, when RFBM shared the station trailer with BMIR and I contributed to both stations, it was worse. One the day we had the thunderstorm my campmates were warning others to get off high structures nearby. About ready to start my shift, I knocked on the door of BMIR only to find no one was there, and that was the case most of the time I stopped by the station that year. They were playing pre-recorded interviews and features.

Apparently there is some sort of backstage politics in the BM administration that cut RFBM out of the loop in favor of BMIR. I didn't start attending BM until 2002 so I don't know the reasons, but my impression -- and I have worked in radio before -- is that RFBM was much more professionally managed than BMIR. God help attendees if there is a real emergency, which was the reason BMIR was ostensibly created, and they keep running the station the way they have.

Dr. Zarkov
Dr. Zarkov

Re: Retarded Radio DJ made us miss temple burn

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Wed May 26, 2004 6:57 pm

captain mcguiver wrote:My entire camp missed the Temple Burn because the idiot Dj'ng on 94.5 said it happened at 10pm. We watched people returning to camp at 9:30 and realized we had missed it.

Maybe he was on central time!

That's why its important to reset your watches to pacific time when you come to the playa from the East!

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby shitmouse » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:37 pm

didn't you get the general vibe of everyone walking out of camp to the playa? -- the exodous if you will?

it's amazing how that passed by you, but i'm also sorry that you missed it. -(you did see a bigger picture though right? i mean, it's not just about the burn. that's just one slice of the burning pizza.)

we've had our rounds with a few trippers keeping the boat up trying to get ready for a night of walking while they grubbed too much too early and couldn't seem to get it together and leave.
but generally, it's just in the air.

next time, look for things like a 'quarter stick' explosion, some flare air signals, quiet neighborhoods, tons of people walking, when they'd normally be riding bikes, etc.
hope you catch it this year. -(note: when you DO get to the burn, wait and let others fill up the front. otherwise you'll get the "sit down" nazis breathing on you.)
have a good 2004 burn.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby shitmouse » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:10 pm

--didn't mean to make my last post sound bitty there.

all of our camp missed the first burn except two of us.
i had to tell a lot of stories for the next 20 hours home to CO.
everyone had a great time in regards to missing the burn.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:49 pm

Jesus, Capt. Mcguiver...you believe everything you hear on the radio? That's how Rush Limbaugh got so popular. You were a newbie last year, weren't you? There aren't many "absolutes" on the playa, but here are a few you can pretty much count on:

1) Critical Tits will be Friday at 4 p.m. Be ready by 3.

2) The e-playa Meet & Greet will be at 6 p.m. Thursday.

3) The man burns roughly 90 minutes after sundown, which gives the poi spinners and other firebugs plenty of time to burn their pubes off.

I hope this helps. And next time, if you miss an event that the rest of the 30,000 managed to make, instead of bitching I'd do a little bit of self-reflection. And lay off the dope.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Missed burn as well

Postby Gothalot » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:14 am

Ya my camp missed '03's burn as well due to that radio broadcast. But as III pointed out; "Of course everything you hear on the radio IS true". Orson Wells did it first though. I write for the BRG, should I make a release saying that Critical Tits is 3 hrs later than it is? Wohha wouldn't THAT piss off the Titty Gawpers? I'd actually get a front row gawp if I created that article of misinformation.
Gothalot

Return to Politics & Philosophy