Art cars blocking view of the man

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Should there be pedestrian only zone around the man when he burns?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes : 15

Art cars blocking view of the man

Postby elvinagre7 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:49 pm

I've noticed that every year the art cars parked around the man for the burn keep gettng bigger and are blocking the view more. As a pedestrian, it's getting really hard to get a good spot for the burn. Anyone else have this problem?
elvinagre7

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:05 pm

It sounds like another "more work for the Rangers" suggestion to me. Of course, there's copious extra man-power to establish and enforce such a zone if we let people go right up to the fire and fall in.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Isotopia » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:18 pm

It sounds like another "more work for the Rangers" suggestion to me.

Sure as hell nailed that one. Lots of suggestions start pouring over towards the various volunteer groups re, problems, issues, 'suggestions', etc.

Curious if the original poster has ever considered rolling up the sleeves and volunteering? A good number of times it's the single best way to get change going around something you'd like to see happen differently.
Isotopia

Postby Simply Joel » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:54 pm

ya kno... in '00, '01, '02 i watched the burn at a nice safe 1000 feet away... there wasn't a darn bit of anything blocking my view.
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby
Simply Joel

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:36 pm

Sing it out Joel. The rangers did a hellofajob. Still some damn drunks drove right in front of me. Then got out and on top of there rig. The show was then in full swing no ranger would have had a chance to change it. Thats when I discovered the 1000 ft. clear view distance. It was not the large vi MV's but the small ones driving into the crowd and blocking views.
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:17 pm

This is the 3rd most irritating thing about Mutant Vehicles to me (after bad driving and being exclusive)

Years past the vehicles would form a nice ring far enough back to block no ones view. Bikes would be in front of that (laid flat - another reason not to drive into a sea of people at night). I thought it was pretty neat. The last few years have been a free-for-all it seems. We arrived early to get a front row seat, only to have a bunch of people from an art vehicle come at the last minute and sit in front of us, inside the perimeter ring. When asked to move behind the rope they said "F@ck Off!" and when we asked the rangers they said "shut up or we'll kick you out". This, added to the blaring music competing with generators, and the agro-vibe that abounded, made for a unique Burn. It seemed more like a wrestling match.

I for one would welcome an anti-vehicle perimeter around the man and temple (and I am a Mutant Vehicle owner/operator)

regards, Jafe
dragonfly Jafe

Postby elvinagre7 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:49 pm

What I am talking about is a pedestrian only perimenter enforced by a few Rangers and mostly the community.

PS I am a ranger
elvinagre7

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:09 pm

Art cars ther selves is't what I was posting about. My first burn 01 a crane drove into the crowd. It kept forceing the crowd. A guy got his foot crushed. He was standing right behind me. 02 was different. I brought a ladder. (bad idea) The rangers moved me back to the large art cars. During the burn the wind shift. Luckly I had invited some folks to leave there bikes around the ladder. Big chucks of fire was fall all around me. The crowd surged. I held on and kept filming. So of the fire hit me but fell away. 03 I parked my disable cart back from the walking crowd. The peole that drove ito the crowd were not art cars. The one in front of me was a jeep. Three very drunk people sat on the roll bar. Another one (not a art car) Had been built up as a double decker for the only perpose of being one up on the crowd. This one drove right up to a fire platform. Didn't think to get pictures. They could not be invited back.
unjonharley

Postby cowboyangel » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:24 pm

I got right up next to fire where it was so hot, I had to keep turning like a walking rotisserie...never saw one art car...would have exploded if it was that close
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby DeadlyKungFu » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:19 pm

It doesn't take long to recognize natural selection... crowds and fire, it's 30,000+ people and the 'main event'. The fire FEELS amazing at quite a distance and the crowd of burners are diluted with the weekend yahoos, read the back of your ticket and if by that time you haven't had your fill of fire and el wire, get there earlier in the week. There will always be people in that perfect picture taking sweet spot in front of you, let them have it. NEED pictures of the burn? Check the web in October.

Don't blame the rangers, with a smile and a good attitude how much different from them are you? It's community, be an example not another village idiot.
DeadlyKungFu

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:49 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote:Don't blame the rangers, with a smile and a good attitude how much different from them are you? It's community, be an example not another village idiot.

I wasn't blaming the Rangers, more stating that the issue is beyond them (the ranger I mentioned earlier was clearly at wits end trying to manage a very difficult situation with very few actual resources).

As I see it when a bunch of Yahoo's or Clue-tards drives an illegal car in front of you, or a bunch of people hop the burn fence to be in front of you, there are four options; 1) accept the situation 2) try to personally convince them of their error 3) ask an authority figure to try to convince them of their error 4) take matters into our own hands and disable (or tip over) their vehicle or jump the fence also and sit in front of them (or spray them with beer like one person in our group wanted to do). Of these 4 options, the only one that was not tried was #4 (inappropriate in my view, however tempting). Ultimately we accepted the situation.

If there was a perimeter for pedestrians only, it would at least help with the vehicle situation. Yahoo's and Clue-tards will probably always be a problem.

regards, Jafe
dragonfly Jafe

Postby elvinagre7 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:44 pm

Yes there will always be someone who wants to get in front of you for the burn. If we can at least make some noise about this, we might be able to make it un-burningmanlike to park your 15 foot high art car infront of everyone. I hope.

Correction to my last post:

I am a ranger fan, not a ranger.
elvinagre7

Postby DeadlyKungFu » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:30 pm

Jafe - you could always let the air out of their tires. javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
Shocked

Talking to yahoos is pretty pointless... I got it! There's a few hundred people that the yahoos are blocking, right? Get them to start chanting MOVE THAT CAR! or some such harrassment, people love to shout at village idiots en masse. All the help you'd need is right behind you, wishing you hadn't pushed them out of the way to stand in front of them...
javascript:emoticon(':twisted:')
Twisted Evil
It's a tough call, the idiot factor on Sat night is discouraging, I avoid it. Dealing with them comes with the territory and the more of them that try to get close, the smaller the inner circle gets and that means fewer people get to sit up close, you're working against each other.

As for the wind shifting and fire falling on you, read the back of your ticket... and DUCK! It's burning man, not disneyland!
DeadlyKungFu

Postby unjonharley » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:00 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:J

As for the wind shifting and fire falling on you, read the back of your ticket... and DUCK! It's burning man, not disneyland!

/\
I was'nt worried about the fire on me. I was on top of a ladder with cameras. Then the crowd srged rigt at me. That will pull your tether
unjonharley

Postby DeadlyKungFu » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:33 pm

I could see that being a cathartic experience, good pics I hope.

We need to tell the yahoos about the critical tits orgy that happens at sunset right before the burn, out beyond the trash fence... of course it's easy to sneak back in ;)
DeadlyKungFu

Return to Politics & Philosophy