This is why I hate religion.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

This is why I hate religion.

Postby TomServo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:35 pm

One crazy christian decides to burn a Quran, in Florida. And, 8,000 miles away, a group of UN workers....NOT soldiers....are killed by a crazy fucking group of Muslims.

I'm a huge supporter of first amendment rights, but I wish this asshole were forced to exercice that right in Afghanistan.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby JStep » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:41 pm

+13
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Trishntek » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:15 pm

It is amazing that such huge groups of people take life so seriously. Words on a page,,,,, just words on a replaceable page.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby BBadger » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:13 pm

While I don't applaud that pastor's actions, I'm going to place the blame squarely on the insane rabble overreacting to the burning of an artifact. I doubt anyone would even notice what that pastor did had there not been that crazy riot and the murders. If anything, the actions of those murderers have only validated that pastor's claims.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby TomServo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:25 pm

I think it's all stupid...but he was warned. we cant control zealots in other countries. Common sense should have prevailed over his desire to piss off muslims. And now, because he chose to piss such people off, several people are dead because of his fucking Phelpsesque attitude.
TomServo

Postby BBadger » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:32 am

TomServo wrote:I think it's all stupid...but he was warned. we cant control zealots in other countries. Common sense should have prevailed over his desire to piss off muslims. And now, because he chose to piss such people off, several people are dead because of his fucking Phelpsesque attitude.

Who cares if he was "warned"? The whole point was to make a strong statement. Of course Muslims/Christians/burners/whoever will get pissed if their sacred cows/books/people/art/etc. are insulted. That's all part of life. However, in civilized societies, offending one's sensibilities does not give you free reign or justification to go rampaging around and murdering people.

The point I'm trying to make here is that our right to free expression and speech should not be held hostage to the threats of fanatics in other countries, or even our own. These lynch mobs are the dysfunction, and we must not give them power over us.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:37 am

BBadger wrote:
TomServo wrote:I think it's all stupid...but he was warned. we cant control zealots in other countries. Common sense should have prevailed over his desire to piss off muslims. And now, because he chose to piss such people off, several people are dead because of his fucking Phelpsesque attitude.

Who cares if he was "warned"? The whole point was to make a strong statement. Of course Muslims/Christians/burners/whoever will get pissed if their sacred cows/books/people/art/etc. are insulted. That's all part of life. However, in civilized societies, offending one's sensibilities does not give you free reign or justification to go rampaging around and murdering people.

The point I'm trying to make here is that our right to free expression and speech should not be held hostage to the threats of fanatics in other countries, or even our own. These lynch mobs are the dysfunction, and we must not give them power over us.

I agree, but I believe this falls into the yelling fire in a crowded theater category. And if he wants to make a bold statement, then he can say it in Afghanistan.

I used to get my tail lights kicked in, for the God Masturbates sticker I had on my car. I became an expert at replacing tail lights. Ive taken my punches, for expressing myself...he can too!
TomServo

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks, Jackass. We lost half a dozen US servicemen for your zenophobia.

And we had Taliban coming to the table. :(

Tom, try looking outside the Judeo-Christian tangle. There are other ways...
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Elderberry » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:37 am

BBadger wrote:

I have to agree.

It's even more ridiculous from my perspective as an atheist. Hard to imagine so many people acting so irrationally because of their belief in some fairy stupid tale.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:44 am

TomServo wrote:
BBadger wrote:

I agree, but I believe this falls into the yelling fire in a crowded theater category. And if he wants to make a bold statement, then he can say it in Afghanistan.

I used to get my tail lights kicked in, for the God Masturbates sticker I had on my car. I became an expert at replacing tail lights. Ive taken my punches, for expressing myself...he can too!

Two wrongs don't make a right. He has the right to express his opinion, not much different than that cartoonist that made some joke about Allah, or Salmon Rushti (sp), both of whose lives were put in jeopardy for exercising their right to free speech.

Same as saying abortion doctors shouldn't perform abortions in this country because it's like screaming fire in a crowded theater and will cause some crazy person to create a violent crime. Makes no sense.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:02 am

As an agnostic...and please don't give me the whole fence sitter crap.

My God Masturbates statement...was a poke at all religions. I was ready to rip this preachers actions, until I thought about it...Im torn. the fact is people died because of his bigotry and their insane devotion. I believe there is a time when you have to calm your wanting to piss of an entire region, to keep the peace. Luckily for me, only my tail lights died....and Id be happy to replace them rather than see an innocent person die. If you want me to say it, yes! These muslims are fucking nuts! And so are the Christians who keep poking them! THIS IS WHY I HATE RELIGION!
TomServo

Postby tamarakay » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 am

This was one crazy preacher in a redneck church in Florida. This idiot had what, 50 congregants? What media outlet made it a story? If he had been treated like another idiot doing an idiot thing, instead of as an international headline, how would they have heard about it?
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:23 am

tamarakay wrote:This was one crazy preacher in a redneck church in Florida. This idiot had what, 50 congregants? What media outlet made it a story? If he had been treated like another idiot doing an idiot thing, instead of as an international headline, how would they have heard about it?

Im not against anyone having a religion...Im just against the stupid things people do in "Gods" name.

I sometimes wonder, if the folks who believe in and can't wait for the "end of days", are trying to make it a self-fulfilled prophecy.

Can't we just all get along?
TomServo

Postby goathead » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:24 am

TomServo wrote:As an agnostic...and please don't give me the whole fence sitter crap.

My God Masturbates statement...was a poke at all religions. I was ready to rip this preachers actions, until I thought about it...Im torn. the fact is people died because of his bigotry and their insane devotion. I believe there is a time when you have to calm your wanting to piss of an entire region, to keep the peace. Luckily for me, only my tail lights died....and Id be happy to replace them rather than see an innocent person die. If you want me to say it, yes! These muslims are fucking nuts! And so are the Christians who keep poking them! THIS IS WHY I HATE RELIGION!

so the quran fucking chair, and muhammad butt plug are bad idea's?

http://www.divine-interventions.com/index2.php

hmmm, seems they have reduced their product line.

wonder why?

fuck them till they can take

a

POKE

honey badger don't give a shit
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:27 am

goathead wrote:
TomServo wrote:As an agnostic...and please don't give me the whole fence sitter crap.

so the quran fucking chair, and muhammad butt plug are bad idea's?

http://www.divine-interventions.com/index2.php

hmmm, seems they have reduced their product line.

wonder why?

fuck them till they can take

a

POKE

honey badger don't give a shit

Well, maybe when they can take a Poke, without killing anyone, Ill poke harder.
TomServo

Postby goathead » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:31 am

TomServo wrote:Well, maybe when they can take a Poke, without killing anyone, Ill poke harder.

but then it would be like poking christians, or canadians...
where is the sport in that?
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:35 am

goathead wrote:
TomServo wrote:Well, maybe when they can take a Poke, without killing anyone, Ill poke harder.

but then it would be like poking christians, or canadians...
where is the sport in that?

use pointed sticks
TomServo

Postby tamarakay » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:52 am

oh it's not limited to religion. here in good ole texas i removed my Bill Clinton stickers from my old truck because i had beer bottles thrown at me. if it was just me in the truck i could have tolerated, but one almost hit my kid. I've had people act like they were going to ram me with their cars. I had a sticker supporting gay marraige for a while, right next to my nra sticker. that confused them for a while, but bigotry overwhelmed affiliation.

tamarakay

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:56 am

tamarakay wrote:oh it's not limited to religion. here in good ole texas i removed my Bill Clinton stickers from my old truck because i had beer bottles thrown at me. if it was just me in the truck i could have tolerated, but one almost hit my kid. I've had people act like they were going to ram me with their cars. I had a sticker supporting gay marraige for a while, right next to my nra sticker. that confused them for a while, but bigotry overwhelmed affiliation.

I shake my head too often these days. I say we abolish all news networks EXCEPT the Onion! At least then it would be fun!
TomServo

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:59 am

Tamara, were the beer bottles full? If so, maybe they were "gifts". After all, until comparatively recently, couldn't you drive around with open containers in Texas? Wish California was so progressive.
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:02 am

This is for you Tamarakay! hope you like it! has nothing to do with the OPs point...but, screw it im the OP!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ0mdxXw8Ac[/youtube]
TomServo

Postby tamarakay » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:18 am

TomServo wrote:This is for you Tamarakay! hope you like it! has nothing to do with the OPs point...but, screw it im the OP!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ0mdxXw8Ac[/youtube]

oh my god i think that's the best piece he's ever done

tamarakay

Postby addison4 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:30 am

First I want to add that the Holocaust, Soviet Gulags, and Mao's murderous state atheism prove that people giving their lives for their beliefs have been victims of mass murder.

It's sad how Christians and Muslims can be turned against each other for political purposes. It's ironic too, as both groups share the Mosaic laws, which would eliminate much of the conflict if they would follow them.

While beliefs can be frustrating, I remind everyone that Western Civilization generally falls apart when a critical mass turns against Monotheism. Regardless of if you care about tradition and family, when property rights themselves are no longer respected you have very bad situations.

The best Western Civilization examples of property rights breaking down are the French Reign of Terror and the Soviet Russia. As a rule of thumb, when government is run for the people's mandate, the society devours itself. When government is run for principles from a higher belief, the society is more stable. Remember, a leader who's power is based on following established ethics can be checked far more easily by those around him than a leader who is brought to power by the approval of those around him without ethical concern.

In short, don't hate beliefs or ethics themselves; hate the terrible irony of when people use beliefs for evil or destructive ends. Those who seek religion with humility certainly have the same distaste for its perversion.
Register with "A 1776 Masquerade":
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEhqOU5LVUp2MVFXaXBPMmtOXy1SZXc6MA
addison4

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:48 am

addison4 wrote:First I want to add that the Holocaust, Soviet Gulags, and Mao's murderous state atheism prove that people giving their lives for their beliefs have been victims of mass murder.

It's sad how Christians and Muslims can be turned against each other for political purposes. It's ironic too, as both groups share the Mosaic laws, which would eliminate much of the conflict if they would follow them.

While beliefs can be frustrating, I remind everyone that Western Civilization generally falls apart when a critical mass turns against Monotheism. Regardless of if you care about tradition and family, when property rights themselves are no longer respected you have very bad situations.

The best Western Civilization examples of property rights breaking down are the French Reign of Terror and the Soviet Russia. As a rule of thumb, when government is run for the people's mandate, the society devours itself. When government is run for principles from a higher belief, the society is more stable. Remember, a leader who's power is based on following established ethics can be checked far more easily by those around him than a leader who is brought to power by the approval of those around him without ethical concern.

In short, don't hate beliefs or ethics themselves; hate the terrible irony of when people use beliefs for evil or destructive ends. Those who seek religion with humility certainly have the same distaste for its perversion.

All religions can exist or not... The Muslims invited christians and jews to study, at whatever that fucking Library was. Religion should always take a back seat to politics! Our founding fathers understood that...but religions hate disfavor! Maybe its the religions that need to grow up.
TomServo

Postby Badger » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:45 pm

There's a proximate cause and then there's the ultimate cause in these senseless, tragic deaths. Terry Jones has as much blood on his hands as any mob participant half a world away. Both are fundamentalist Neanderthals cut from the same bolt of cloth. The sooner their pathetic versions of God get cast into the dust bin of silly ideas and shabby beliefs the better.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Mojojita » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Badger wrote:There's a proximate cause and then there's the ultimate cause in these senseless, tragic deaths. Terry Jones has as much blood on his hands as any mob participant half a world away. Both are fundamentalist Neanderthals cut from the same bolt of cloth. The sooner their pathetic versions of God get cast into the dust bin of silly ideas and shabby beliefs the better.

+a billion (And I am a Christian)

Terry Jones is as much a murderer as those that pulled the triggers. He knew that his act would cost innocent lives and so was premeditated. His ministry of hatred has given him notoriety and fame. So he just burned a book - well, Judas just gave a kiss on the cheek........
Mojojita

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:20 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLFWuPIQuV4[/youtube]
TomServo

Postby goathead » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:53 pm

Mojojita wrote:
Badger wrote:There's a proximate cause and then there's the ultimate cause in these senseless, tragic deaths. Terry Jones has as much blood on his hands as any mob participant half a world away. Both are fundamentalist Neanderthals cut from the same bolt of cloth. The sooner their pathetic versions of God get cast into the dust bin of silly ideas and shabby beliefs the better.

Terry Jones is as much a murderer as those that pulled the triggers. He knew that his act would cost innocent lives and so was premeditated. His ministry of hatred has given him notoriety and fame. So he just burned a book - well, Judas just gave a kiss on the cheek........

Ahhh BULLSHIT

Might as well blame the cartoonists in Denmark, Theo Van Gogh, Salman Rushdie, I know they where just asking for the death threats and to be killed.

Wonder what the death count is for all of those acts.
Cartoonists just as much murderers as those who wield the knives and pull the trigger?

Fuck Off.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGtQvGGY4S4[/youtube]

Wonder if Mary, Mother of Jesus was a MILF?

People who kill over cartoons should be made fun of.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Postby Elderberry » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:06 pm

I love Lewis Black.

And GoatHead, notice there are NOT any Muslim "toys" on that site.
JK
Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:10 pm

Mojojita wrote:

Regardless...he only burned a BOOK. He didn't kill anyone. And frankly, anyone that would kill someone over the burning of a BOOK are a much bigger problem than the person that burned it. Hmm....let's see. A book. A human life. Are you out of your mind to even try and put any blame on Terry Jones for this???? He's definitely repugnant, but he certainly isn't responsible for the behavior of those over there that are even more crazy than he is.
JK
Elderberry

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy