RVs vs Tents

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

RVs vs Tents

Postby Professional Burner » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:42 am

Is it burnier to camp out in a Tent at burning man or are you Burnier cuz you can watch a good DVD while the whiteout passes by? Hmmmmm.
Professional Burner

Postby Packoderm » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:51 am

Do you get extra burner status points if your RV's clutch goes out on the way to the playa?

Packoderm

Postby Professional Burner » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:55 am

Packoderm wrote:Do you get extra burner status points if your RV's clutch goes out on the way to the playa?

You have both RV and a tent?....you're a middle man....LET'S GET HIM!! LMAO

Sorry to see that. What year did that happen?
Professional Burner

Postby Packoderm » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:12 am

Maybe that was my problem. I brought a LOT of stuff and overloaded the poor little RV. To my defense: No DVDs, no A/C or generator (the swamp cooler worked great), I had a bathroom, but I still only used a pee jug. It was basically just a hard sided tent connected to my truck. Am I still in the club?

It happened just last year. The clutch went completely out about 20 miles shy of Gerlach. I got towed into the playa by a big tow truck. I did get to party especially hard while the tow truck driver took care of the stop and go driving. I was lucky enough to get cell service en route and call a friend to bring in a clutch kit. I put off replacing the clutch until the 2nd to last day of the burn. I drove it home with no problems and have since driven it to San Felipe, Baja California with no problems. For BM 2011 though I'll aim to get AAA insurance and try to caravan in with somebody who can tow me in if needed.
Packoderm

Postby Professional Burner » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:17 am

Packoderm wrote:Maybe that was my problem. I brought a LOT of stuff and overloaded the poor little RV. To my defense: No DVDs, no A/C or generator (the swamp cooler worked great), I had a bathroom, but I still only used a pee jug. It was basically just a hard sided tent connected to my truck. Am I still in the club?

You ARE the club... you worked for that burn.
"I'm the Burniest thing that ever lived"

"I'm the astronaut of burning. All of you other burners are just pilots. I'm in a world of my own"
Professional Burner

Postby jkisha » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:29 am

Air conditioned two room hexayurt with instant hot water on demand shower for me. Plus stove, oven and refrigerator and a king size bed.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Packoderm » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:31 am

Just for fun, I'll post pictures of the moho in San Felipe (if this isn't a serious breach of eplaya etiquette).

Packoderm

Postby Packoderm » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:34 am

jkisha wrote:Air conditioned two room hexayurt with instant hot water on demand shower for me. Plus stove, oven and refrigerator and a king size bed.

JK

That sounds like an awesome setup. I was thinking of making a dome this year, but our camp needs more shade, so I'm going to make a 30x30 flat topped shade structure using EMT.
Packoderm

Postby Galaxo Magic » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:05 pm

Three years ago we had 1 hexiyurt and a swamp cooler. Worked ok. Two years ago we had two connected hexiyurts with their own AC units. That was the bomb. Hexiyurts are great for whiteouts and rain. They are a lot of work but worth every penny.
Galaxo Magic

Postby Sic Pup » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:57 am

Galaxo Magic wrote: They are a lot of work but worth every penny.

Wait....what?

SG is that you?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

no, SG is PB..

Postby Snowah Zark » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:02 am

JUNGO ROAD!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6owHKkwsdw[/youtube]
Mi casa y su casa.
Snowah Zark

Re: no, SG is PB..

Postby Packoderm » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Snowah Zark wrote:JUNGO ROAD!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6owHKkwsdw[/youtube]

Now that is awesome.
Packoderm

Postby jkisha » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Packoderm wrote:
jkisha wrote:Air conditioned two room hexayurt with instant hot water on demand shower for me. Plus stove, oven and refrigerator and a king size bed.

JK

That sounds like an awesome setup. I was thinking of making a dome this year, but our camp needs more shade, so I'm going to make a 30x30 flat topped shade structure using EMT.

Thanks. It is, if I do say so myself. We also have our own 10 x 10 shade structure attached to the yurts; but the camp has a 30' playa dome and a 30 x 40 shade structure everyone shares as well.

Part of the fun of the burn for me is making home away from home as comfortable as possible. You're more than welcome to drop by anytime. As I told JStep, there's always chilled beer mugs and martini glasses in the freezer just waiting to be used. :)

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby JStep » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:26 pm

jkisha wrote:Part of the fun of the burn for me is making home away from home as comfortable as possible. You're more than welcome to drop by anytime. As I told JStep, there's always chilled beer mugs and martini glasses in the freezer just waiting to be used. :)

JK

Scribbling notes. Love these educational threads!

Need to see about making a screen of JKs avatar.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Packoderm » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:43 pm

jkisha wrote:Thanks. It is, if I do say so myself. We also have our own 10 x 10 shade structure attached to the yurts; but the camp has a 30' playa dome and a 30 x 40 shade structure everyone shares as well.

Part of the fun of the burn for me is making home away from home as comfortable as possible. You're more than welcome to drop by anytime. As I told JStep, there's always chilled beer mugs and martini glasses in the freezer just waiting to be used. :)
JK

I'd love to see a picture of the dome and especially the 30x40. I'm looking online every day for ideas to make a 30x30 as cool and as inexpensive as possible. I'm thinking of using 1 inch EMT with nine 10x10 squares of silver tarp.
Packoderm

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:27 pm

Packoderm wrote:
jkisha wrote:Thanks. It is, if I do say so myself. We also have our own 10 x 10 shade structure attached to the yurts; but the camp has a 30' playa dome and a 30 x 40 shade structure everyone shares as well.

JK

I'd love to see a picture of the dome and especially the 30x40. I'm looking online every day for ideas to make a 30x30 as cool and as inexpensive as possible. I'm thinking of using 1 inch EMT with nine 10x10 squares of silver tarp.

Check out the fittings toward the bottom of the page. Might work. http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/category/hobby-diy If you go with something like this be sure to tighten those set screws well so that things don't work free in the wind. My largest open spaces in the shade frame are 13'x10'. I consider 13' to be the maximum allowable free span.

If you have a custom shade cloth made at a facility that manufactures them you can get one that will fit the whole structure. Get grommets every 2 feet and use zip ties to secure it to the outside run of conduit. Usually the shade cloth is slightly smaller than the ordered dimensions because of the doubling over for grommets. That is advantageous because tensioning the shade a bit helps control it in the wind and acts to hold the framework together.

I have made a 40x 40 shade structure out of 1" square tubing but it requires welding experience and some shop equip.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Return to Politics & Philosophy