It was your first burn....

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: It was your first burn....

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:37 pm

[quote="DanusLight"]... did you know before you left that you'd return?[/quote]

Oh yeah. It was a confusing week, but by the time Sunday morning came (ya, didnt even experience temple burn my first year!) I was curled up, in a ball, under a blanket, while everyone in my camp packed up their stuff. It had a huge impact on me, I was blown away.
MyPlayaUserName

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Ass Stamp Camp/ The Neighbourhood

It was your first burn....

Postby PurplMyst » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:14 pm

My first year I arrived at dusk on Thursday. By the time the windstorm on Sunday busted my tent I'd recovered from the sensory overload & was thinking "next year I'll have a better tent... next year I'm definitely coming earlier... next year I'll have cool outfits for day AND night..."
"Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who did not hear the music"
PurplMyst

Burning Since: 2004

Postby Bob Bitchen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:05 am

Wasn't sure what to expect my first burn. :roll:

Was not sure at first weather I would return back to BM or not. :?

But after all the great people I met my first day I knew I had to go back. :D

Now I can't wait. :P
Bob Bitchen

Those who want to be seen will never be seen even if they have already been seen.

Fuck Um if they can't take a Joke & Joke em if they can't take a Fuck.

Don't sweat the petty things just pet the sweaty things.
Bob Bitchen

Postby B the B » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:42 pm

Had a very intense first burn and would love to go back. Not sure I can tho, I may have to sacrifice the burner in me for my girl who is not burner material. It would hurt her if I were to return year after year, and I understand. Of course before I left the playa, I was sure I would be coming back. Funny how the default world can brainwash you. I am hoping to go every other year, if that. I don't think I could treat BM like the deadhead sticker on the cadillac, as hard as I may try.
"what if one of these times the man says f it and decides to burn us?"
B the B

Postby kitkatseattle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:40 pm

I knew I would go back again the first day I was there in 2010. One of my girlfriends (who is a six time Burner) that I camped with told me she knew it was for me as soon as we got there and she saw me interacting with people. It was one of the most liberating experiences I have ever had, and I will be there again this year! :D The ride back home was pretty emotional and confusing, and at that point August 2011 seemed very far away and the default world seemed all too real again.
kitkatseattle

Postby hookahdude » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:01 pm

I knew before I attended I would return...

I volunteered with DPW for months before the event and knew just from the people I met there that I would be returning. Hell, I did 4th of Juplaya my first year and remember walking over to a Raver camp with Otto Jukes and standing in the middle of the area just staring at them all with a totally disgusted look... Then DPW shot a bunch of shit.. so yeah - I knew I'd be back.
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby Phinneas » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:35 pm

I had no serious expectation of returning after leaving my first burn in '02, and I didn't for another four years.

My first burn was everything and nothing -- I was gently pushed to join a friend from work who was returning for his second burn and doing all the planning for both of us. We were over 2,000 miles away, and I still am. I remember beforehand thinking that I was probably hearing about the whole thing five years too late, given my head-space at the time. Then after arriving, I remember being uncertain over whether or not I was getting the full experience. I continued to enjoy myself in unexpected ways, and I was also gifted by "strangers" a particularly profound experience on my final night.

Yet the idea to finally return, this time all on my own, occurred only while I was grieving a major family loss in 2006. I never expected to feel ready to return, but this time I suddenly knew that I was more than ready. I guess I needed to get to a place where I really wanted to take ownership over my own burn, and ever since that happened, I've only missed it once.
Phinneas

Postby Sham » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:03 am

One the first day of my first burn, I clearly recall saying that was was glad that I witnessed this with my own eyes. You can read and imagine what you think things are going to be like, but unless you see it yourself, it doesn't count. I was sure that I would never be back again, but so glad I saw it.

My "holy shit" moment came after my first night on the playa. It was windy as hell that first night, and I never really experienced anything like that. As I was staggering to the porta-potty the next morning in shorts and a t-shirt with the sun in my eyes, I stopped dead in my tracks and did a full 360 spin and said out loud, "how can I ever miss this again".

I am many years older than I was on my first burn. and always find myself questioning why I am there again. I am tired from travel, shopping and setting up. This all passes and I always have a great week.
Sham

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:13 am

My first time in '96 a huge swarm of bedbugs emerged from the ground after a brief rain shower.

Good thing they moved the event ten miles south.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby shroom » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:41 am

I knew I'd return before I left. last year was my first, returning in 2012.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Mojojita » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:20 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:This is 13 in a row for me.

Me too Doc - I can't even imagine not going.....

But that first year was tough. I still have the collage of photos of the old RV behind the towtruck.
Mojojita

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:37 pm

Bob wrote:My first time in '96 a huge swarm of bedbugs emerged from the ground after a brief rain shower.

Good thing they moved the event ten miles south.

Magical, that was. :roll:
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:17 pm

Mojojita, that's funny. Our first year the brakes on our rented RV gave out in Colfax and we left it along the side of the road. Got several people to drive up and get us, and the rental company didn't even charge us for the clean up (etc.) though they said the "...brakes are fine." yeah right, you try barreling down I-80 with no brakes. They over heated is all.

Everyone has theri virgin stories I suppose.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby FaeTora » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:26 pm

My virgin year, I studied and researched and did all I could to prepare knowing I won't ever really be prepared. In the end, I was right. My first day we got there tuesday night as the sun was setting and my campmates wanted to sleep in the yurt we built. I got dressed up and said I was going out. They said I changed. That I was a different person in that moment from the person they knew. And I have so much I learned and am grantful for.

it is home, it is where my mother's ashes are, it is the dust of dreams.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby rodiponer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:17 pm

I knew I would come again. The preparation was so fun that I knew I needed a second (or third) year just for the excuse to make more things.

A photograph of Unchronia in a dust storm is what made me get off the fence and buy tickets.

I think I am coming back for the same reasons. I want to see what happens next in Black Rock City, especially the art on the playa. And I want to build my own small part of it's future. And I really enjoy the people.
rodiponer

Postby goathead » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:00 am

beats the hell out of staying home watching tv.

:twisted:
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby Bob Bitchen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:01 am

What is TV :lol:

Beats the hell out of Staying Home :D
Bob Bitchen

Those who want to be seen will never be seen even if they have already been seen.

Fuck Um if they can't take a Joke & Joke em if they can't take a Fuck.

Don't sweat the petty things just pet the sweaty things.
Bob Bitchen

Postby flatlander13 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:44 am

2001 was my first burn…..I knew I was coming back when I left the store in Empire and leading me to the playa was two Volkswagen bugs that had been remade to look like flying saucers. I arrived on the Saturday before the burn……I picked a campsite among the large nothing that was there……I got out of the car and danced (something I don’t usually do). My first night while laying in my tent I could hear an art car driving around with a loud speaker echoing….Blowjob, Blowjob, Blowjob……Blowjob, Blowjob, Blowjob……….

The next day I found the camp of Ibdave…..a friend of mine that I had not seen in 22 years…..a couple of hours later I was invited to join their camp……the rest is history.
How do I get a hold of you?

You just contact the mayor's office. He has a special signal he shines in the sky; it's in the shape of a giant cock.
flatlander13

Postby teardropper » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Yep...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby bluesbob » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:33 am

I look at my 2011 ticket and I'm still debating.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Camp Name: AV

Postby addison4 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:42 am

Isn't every burn like your first?

That's the whole Burning Man concept:
'Go there once; be there twice."
Register with "A 1776 Masquerade":
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEhqOU5LVUp2MVFXaXBPMmtOXy1SZXc6MA
addison4

Postby C187 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:01 am

addison4 wrote:Isn't every burn like your first?

That's the whole Burning Man concept:
'Go there once; be there twice."

What would the math be on 2007 if that's the case.. I do wonder.
C187

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby havoc » Wed May 04, 2011 12:34 pm

hookahdude wrote:I knew before I attended I would return...

yeah, this. :)
havoc

Re: It was your first burn....

Postby teardropper » Wed May 04, 2011 4:30 pm

DanusLight wrote:... did you know before you left that you'd return?

I meant, yep...

I knew when I drove into BRC at dawn on Monday morning.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby illy dilly » Mon May 23, 2011 1:08 pm

I think I knew before I went.
I treated my first year as recon. Me and SmAshly camped with some experienced burner friends that we had not seen since high school. That was its own mistake, turns out 4 years of college changes people, and the direction they changed compared to the direction we changed didn't work well for a 24 hour drive. Thank god, we camped with them though, had they not been there to tell me what I wouldn't need I would have brought all the wrong gear. I would have prepared for it like mountain camping being prepared for wild animals, floods, fallen trees during storms, brought fire wood, and all the skills of mountain camping.
I was overly prepared for BRC, but being over prepared helped me get past the anxiety of the monumental adventure.
I didn't 'get it' the first few days. I had culture shock. Logistically we were more prepared than the people we came with- mentally I had no idea!

I went at it with the idea "This year I'll camp with these folks and see how its done. Next year I'll bring my own friends and show them how its done" And thats what we did. 2009 we camped with our friends, 2010 we brought 2 virgins with us. This year the 4 of us are bring 7 virgins.
Who knows maybe next year the 11 of us will bring 20 more virgins.

But with the recon idea I spent the entire time figuring out HOW TO DO IT, instead of DOING IT. For me year 2 was a lot more fun than year 1.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Clar-i-ty » Fri May 27, 2011 5:53 am

illy dilly wrote:I didn't 'get it' the first few days. I had culture shock. Logistically we were more prepared than the people we came with- mentally I had no idea!

I went at it with the idea "This year I'll camp with these folks and see how its done. Next year I'll bring my own friends and show them how its done" And thats what we did. 2009 we camped with our friends, 2010 we brought 2 virgins with us. This year the 4 of us are bring 7 virgins.
Who knows maybe next year the 11 of us will bring 20 more virgins.

But with the recon idea I spent the entire time figuring out HOW TO DO IT, instead of DOING IT. For me year 2 was a lot more fun than year 1.

Not bad kid. Not bad.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby illy dilly » Fri May 27, 2011 9:17 am

Thanks Clarity!
I'd have to say your tips, tricks, and insight, and other folks too, have helped a lot in the preparation and quality of our camp
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy