Any logical explanations why Burning Man cost have gone up?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby JStep » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:19 pm

AntiM wrote:
Hell, you can still see the trails the wagon trains left behind. You tried.

I thought contaminating ground water sources from the use of hand dug latrines/no latrines was a major issue?

It is if they are not placed correctly. I have never had an issue and I've camped on single sites with a single latrine within 150 feet of our spring for 3 months straight once. The latrine has to be placed enough distance away, preferably on a hill that drains the well away from any water source or stream. Once moisture passes through 20 or 30 feet of soil it is well filtered if you're not in a high clay area. If this weren't the case everyone would be sick all the time if they drank spring water because animals shit everywhere.

Am I evil for chuckling about the year the Rainbows got snowed out in July in the high Uintahs?

No, where/when was this? I never heard about it. (Of course, I've been out of touch with rainbow land since 95.)
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Beest » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:04 am

My BM budget this year is roughly 2.5k. I'll be driving in from, and back to, Pennsylvania, building a new shade structure, better tent, booze, food, odds and ends, ticket, etc.

It's money I've earned.

I could spend that type of cash in ten minutes in Vegas, or in an hour in a strip club, or for three days on a big boat with a lot of people I'm almost certain to loathe to their cores.

I choose not to.

I choose to spend it on a unique experience that I'll never forget or regret. For me, it's money well spent.

Frankly, if a nice pie graph was presented showing how/where my cash was going and why it was needed, I'd very gladly pay 1k for a ticket with a shit eating grin on my face.

From the financial stuff I've seen, I think the ticket prices are fair. Of course BM has to be run from a business standpoint. People with good business skills run towns big and small, and Black Rock is no different than any other town.

You want a stable ticket price year-to-year? Open the event to vendors who pay a fee relevant to their sales. Kind of like a tax base... and taxes SUCK!

Things cost more all the time, every year. Fact of life. Deal with it.
"'They' need to fix this bike." -unknown
"No, 'they' don't. YOU need to see what can be done to fix it. I will help you if you wish it of me." -Beest, somewhere on Athens, late week, 2010
Beest

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:54 am

Beest wrote:
I could spend that type of cash in ten minutes in Vegas, or in an hour in a strip club,

you and I have to party...
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:35 am

Beest wrote:You want a stable ticket price year-to-year? Open the event to vendors who pay a fee relevant to their sales. Kind of like a tax base... and taxes SUCK!

I'd say that the situation you're describing is what happens when you don't want to pay fair taxes/ticket price--the bill ends up being paid by people who are exploiting you. And that does, indeed, suck.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BAS » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:56 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Beest wrote:You want a stable ticket price year-to-year? Open the event to vendors who pay a fee relevant to their sales. Kind of like a tax base... and taxes SUCK!

I'd say that the situation you're describing is what happens when you don't want to pay fair taxes/ticket price--the bill ends up being paid by people who are exploiting you. And that does, indeed, suck.

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head!
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 am

fuck i just remembered i forgot to pay a ticket i got for supposedly driving on the wrong part of the playa, when i was clearly on a street, after the signs had been taken down.
MyPlayaUserName

Burning Since: 2007

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy