Any logical explanations why Burning Man cost have gone up?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby JStep » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:19 pm

AntiM wrote:
Hell, you can still see the trails the wagon trains left behind. You tried.

I thought contaminating ground water sources from the use of hand dug latrines/no latrines was a major issue?

It is if they are not placed correctly. I have never had an issue and I've camped on single sites with a single latrine within 150 feet of our spring for 3 months straight once. The latrine has to be placed enough distance away, preferably on a hill that drains the well away from any water source or stream. Once moisture passes through 20 or 30 feet of soil it is well filtered if you're not in a high clay area. If this weren't the case everyone would be sick all the time if they drank spring water because animals shit everywhere.

Am I evil for chuckling about the year the Rainbows got snowed out in July in the high Uintahs?

No, where/when was this? I never heard about it. (Of course, I've been out of touch with rainbow land since 95.)
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Beest » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:04 am

My BM budget this year is roughly 2.5k. I'll be driving in from, and back to, Pennsylvania, building a new shade structure, better tent, booze, food, odds and ends, ticket, etc.

It's money I've earned.

I could spend that type of cash in ten minutes in Vegas, or in an hour in a strip club, or for three days on a big boat with a lot of people I'm almost certain to loathe to their cores.

I choose not to.

I choose to spend it on a unique experience that I'll never forget or regret. For me, it's money well spent.

Frankly, if a nice pie graph was presented showing how/where my cash was going and why it was needed, I'd very gladly pay 1k for a ticket with a shit eating grin on my face.

From the financial stuff I've seen, I think the ticket prices are fair. Of course BM has to be run from a business standpoint. People with good business skills run towns big and small, and Black Rock is no different than any other town.

You want a stable ticket price year-to-year? Open the event to vendors who pay a fee relevant to their sales. Kind of like a tax base... and taxes SUCK!

Things cost more all the time, every year. Fact of life. Deal with it.
"'They' need to fix this bike." -unknown
"No, 'they' don't. YOU need to see what can be done to fix it. I will help you if you wish it of me." -Beest, somewhere on Athens, late week, 2010
Beest

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:54 am

Beest wrote:
I could spend that type of cash in ten minutes in Vegas, or in an hour in a strip club,

you and I have to party...
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:35 am

Beest wrote:You want a stable ticket price year-to-year? Open the event to vendors who pay a fee relevant to their sales. Kind of like a tax base... and taxes SUCK!

I'd say that the situation you're describing is what happens when you don't want to pay fair taxes/ticket price--the bill ends up being paid by people who are exploiting you. And that does, indeed, suck.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BAS » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:56 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Beest wrote:You want a stable ticket price year-to-year? Open the event to vendors who pay a fee relevant to their sales. Kind of like a tax base... and taxes SUCK!

I'd say that the situation you're describing is what happens when you don't want to pay fair taxes/ticket price--the bill ends up being paid by people who are exploiting you. And that does, indeed, suck.

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head!
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 am

fuck i just remembered i forgot to pay a ticket i got for supposedly driving on the wrong part of the playa, when i was clearly on a street, after the signs had been taken down.
MyPlayaUserName

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Ass Stamp Camp

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy