Any logical explanations why Burning Man cost have gone up?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Any logical explanations why Burning Man cost have gone up?

Postby madcaddie26 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:19 am

I am finding a hard time understanding why the people who put on this event have decided to raise ticket prices this year to $320. Yea there were other tiers of tickets but from what I heard there was a huge problem with that yesterday. The tier system is really ridiculous. Yea over half the people buy their tickets right then but people will do that anyway. It's Burning Man. If you build it they will come is how I look at it. If you ask me this is just another form of capitalism. Something that has ruined the U.S. Looks like Burning Man is heading down that route. I love Burning Man but raising the prices of tickets isn't right. What else are you doing to make it better? Less cops? Shorter lines to get in the gates? To me it seems like someone is getting greedy and just wants to pocket more money. Talking an extra $500,000 in cash with the new ticket price. Where is that extra half million going? You shouldn't be raising ticket prices when tickets are one of the least costly things when it comes to actually going to Burning Man for a week. If anything they should stay at $220. Or meet in the middle and say $250 all day. MartyParty wrote the other day how festivals are losing touch with the people that actually attend them. Burning Man might not be considered a festival but MartyParty couldn't be anymore correct.
madcaddie26

Postby TomServo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:23 am

BLM, Vendors, Overtime for Local Sherrifs Depts...etc.. I paid about $80 for my first Burning Man ticket, but it was alot smaller then. You realize we have no sponsors, right?
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:33 am

The price hasn't gone up for a few years now, and Yes, BurningMan is a festival.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby gyre » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:33 am

$320 before february?

Looks like a huge price jump to me.
gyre

Postby Parasitoid » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:38 am

it didnt go up. You are confused.
Parasitoid

Postby gyre » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:41 am

Maybe.

But I am unlikely to spend $320 for a ticket.
gyre

Postby SnowBlind » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:47 am

The afterburn report has details on where the money goes: http://afterburn.burningman.com/09/financial_chart.html
SnowBlind

Postby Parasitoid » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:48 am

I might if they lost my order...

:-(

8-D
Parasitoid

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:08 pm

Whatever the market will bear.

Once your money is available for spending, then things to spend it on magically appear.

If I give you $1000 and a trip to the Mall, then I assure you that you will find things that you "need" to spend it on. But I give you only a trip to the Mall, without funds, then you will find a way to live without it.

The money always finds its own justification.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby BBadger » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:14 pm

You can chock it up to inflation. Unlike the goods you buy, where they just give you less for the same price, the prices of products that can't be downgraded must go up.

Don't give us the schlemiel that capitalism to blame here. These things don't pay for themselves. It cost roughly $282/person to pay for BM last year, and I can only expect BM to grow in size. A $220/ticket price would leave BM as a shell of its current glory. The last time the price was $220 ($225) there were 20,000 fewer people; so the price has actually not grown linearly with the population (which would make it $370).

What more, the only price has gone up is the tier-4 pricing, and even so, only $20 more. Tier-3 tickets ($280, the same price as last year) were available without queues for half a day; if you didn't get in on that, that's your fault. Also, if $20 is breaking your bank, you probably shouldn't participate in an event like this anyway.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby HandJamMasterC » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Maybe.

But I am unlikely to spend $320 for a ticket.

Your loss then. Even at $ 320 for a week at Burning Man its one of the greatest bargains and most fun week ever !!

I have bottles of wine that cost $ 320. They too provide a great experience, but they won't last a week........... :!:
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby BAS » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:41 pm

The cost of everything else is going up, so why not Burning Man? (It is a viscous circle, actually, since the Burning Man folks have to pay for the "everything else." Anyway, from about 2,000 miles away, the ticket cost isn't what's keeping me from going. Gas (and other car related costs) and other expenses are a bigger issue.)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:06 pm

HandJamMasterC wrote:I have bottles of wine that cost $ 320.

I'm so glad you have fuckin $320 bottles of wine you yuppie scum. It's jokers like you who year after year offer up lame excuses for the thoroughly shitty job BMorg is doing
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby HandJamMasterC » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:28 pm

I'm a bit tired of your negativity. Why don't you just fucking chill out ? Did someone give you a Hot Carl this morning ?? :twisted:

I'm so glad you have fuckin $320 bottles of wine you yuppie scum. It's jokers like you who year after year offer up lame excuses for the thoroughly shitty job BMorg is doing

Ya, Burning Man sucks ass - please don't go this year. Last year was the last good year anyway........... :lol:
CAMP D.O.A.

HandJamMasterC

Postby haloablaze » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:32 pm

[quote="SnowBlind"]The afterburn report has details on where the money goes: [url]http://afterburn.burningman.com/09/financial_chart.html[/url][/quote]

From the site:

$349,000 = Ticket sales/processing/printing fees paid to outside ticketing firm

$362,000 = Honoraria provided to artists

:/
haloablaze

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:43 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:

I'm so glad you have fuckin $320 bottles of wine

...and are you single? :wink:
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby HandJamMasterC » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:47 pm

...and are you single?

Don't tell me Sparky and I will have to fight to the death in Thunderdome for you now? :shock:
CAMP D.O.A.

HandJamMasterC

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:50 pm

BBadger, when I first went to Burning Man, tickets started at $25 if you got in early. So, where else do we have 1000% inflation outside of Brazil? :)

BBadger wrote:You can chock it up to inflation. Unlike the goods you buy, where they just give you less for the same price, the prices of products that can't be downgraded must go up.

Don't give us the schlemiel that capitalism to blame here. These things don't pay for themselves. It cost roughly $282/person to pay for BM last year, and I can only expect BM to grow in size. A $220/ticket price would leave BM as a shell of its current glory. The last time the price was $220 ($225) there were 20,000 fewer people; so the price has actually not grown linearly with the population (which would make it $370).

What more, the only price has gone up is the tier-4 pricing, and even so, only $20 more. Tier-3 tickets ($280, the same price as last year) were available without queues for half a day; if you didn't get in on that, that's your fault. Also, if $20 is breaking your bank, you probably shouldn't participate in an event like this anyway.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby HandJamMasterC » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:12 pm

I also remember 25 cent gallons of gas, and 50 cent packs of cigs......
CAMP D.O.A.

HandJamMasterC

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:36 pm

HandJamMasterC wrote:
...and are you single?

Don't tell me Sparky and I will have to fight to the death in Thunderdome for you now? :shock:

...yes, and I can be consoled at the death of a fellow burner with stupid-expensive bottles of wine.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby tamarakay » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:39 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
Teo del Fuego wrote:

I'm so glad you have fuckin $320 bottles of wine

...and are you single? :wink:

and there is my favorite post of the day
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Token » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:08 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
HandJamMasterC wrote:
...and are you single?

...yes, and I can be consoled at the death of a fellow burner with stupid-expensive bottles of wine.

I can help facilitate this.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:34 pm

I, being the Voice of Reason in the forum, am going to try to put a positive spin on this whole ordeal. I ended up paying right at $300 for my ticket(s). I do not think of it as spending $300 for a party; rather, I look at it as spending $1 for 300 parties. When I look at it through that particular lens, things don't appear to be too bad to me.
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby HandJamMasterC » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:36 pm

I, being the Voice of Reason in the forum, am going to try to put a positive spin on this whole ordeal. I ended up paying right at $300 for my ticket(s). I do not think of it as spending $300 for a party; rather, I look at it as spending $1 for 300 parties. When I look at it through that particular lens, things don't appear to be too bad to me.

Amen :!:
CAMP D.O.A.

HandJamMasterC

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:00 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:

Wow, your envy's peeking outta your panties there.

So, because one makes a certain level of income, they are already "scum," "a joker" and are responsible for "year after year of lame excuses."

And yet, somehow you force yourself to go each year. Whatever will we do without your Burnier than thou presence?

Give me a break.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:15 pm

[quote="Ugly Dougly"]BBadger, when I first went to Burning Man, tickets started at $25 if you got in early. So, where else do we have 1000% inflation outside of Brazil? :)

We'll have to blame over-population and those darn social programs! We can also blame the "welfare" system that subsidizes the early tiers by "taxing" the later tiers. What happened to our complete self-reliance? Damn liberals!
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby ¡Niers! » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:20 pm

The REAL question we should all be asking, is why the fuck does the federal government want $1,017,000.00 to use land that belongs to the public in the first place. Not to mention to a group that leaves it in better shape than we found it.

There's way more delicate landscapes here in Oregon that the BLM manages for us that has tons of trash on it at all times. Public land is just that....ours. Tax dollars....but wait....if you want to use it, that will cost you more.
Over a million a year? Just for a couple weeks?
Fuck the Feds!
¡Niers!

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:08 pm

¡Niers! wrote:The REAL question we should all be asking, is why the fuck does the federal government want $1,017,000.00 to use land that belongs to the public in the first place. Not to mention to a group that leaves it in better shape than we found it.

There's way more delicate landscapes here in Oregon that the BLM manages for us that has tons of trash on it at all times. Public land is just that....ours. Tax dollars....but wait....if you want to use it, that will cost you more.
Over a million a year? Just for a couple weeks?
Fuck the Feds!

The fees charged are set by CFR. its simply the camping rate per day, times the number of participants during the week. Contractors are excluded.
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Re: Any logical explanations why Burning Man cost have gone

Postby drutter » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:31 pm

madcaddie26 wrote:If you ask me this is just another form of capitalism. Something that has ruined the U.S. Looks like Burning Man is heading down that route.

Not to say anything about the rest of your argument, but this part right here is incorrect. The USA is not running on a free-market capitalist system at all. Look up what such a system is, and then notice that the US doesn't have it. What has ruined the USA is the topic for another thread, however. :)
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.
drutter

Re: Any logical explanations why Burning Man cost have gone

Postby jkisha » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:47 pm

madcaddie26 wrote:I am finding a hard time understanding why the people who put on this event have decided to raise ticket prices this year to $320. Yea there were other tiers of tickets but from what I heard there was a huge problem with that yesterday. The tier system is really ridiculous. Yea over half the people buy their tickets right then but people will do that anyway. It's Burning Man. If you build it they will come is how I look at it. If you ask me this is just another form of capitalism. Something that has ruined the U.S. Looks like Burning Man is heading down that route. I love Burning Man but raising the prices of tickets isn't right. What else are you doing to make it better? Less cops? Shorter lines to get in the gates? To me it seems like someone is getting greedy and just wants to pocket more money. Talking an extra $500,000 in cash with the new ticket price. Where is that extra half million going? You shouldn't be raising ticket prices when tickets are one of the least costly things when it comes to actually going to Burning Man for a week. If anything they should stay at $220. Or meet in the middle and say $250 all day. MartyParty wrote the other day how festivals are losing touch with the people that actually attend them. Burning Man might not be considered a festival but MartyParty couldn't be anymore correct.

Are you some kind of fucking hippie or something??? It was CAPITALISM THAT BUILT THE U.S.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy