Role of art at the burn? Party scene?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Role of art at the burn? Party scene?

Postby fbcota » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:47 pm

I have a question:

What is the role of Art at Burning Man in your opinion?

also

Is the party scene taking over the event?
fbcota

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:55 pm

Bagel, but I'm sort of jewish.
It's always been a party--among other things.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby PavementBlues » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:00 pm

The problem is in the definition of art as it is used at Burning Man. Art cars, theme camps, structural pieces, spontaneous performance...everything in some way represents a reaching for creative expression.

A few years ago I was walking around barefoot on the Esplanade and some guy ran over and started yelling that there was an outbreak of playarrhea. He looked down at my feet and gave this big monologue on how I already had it and must be treated immediately. He then showed me to the camp doctor, who gave me some liquor and a pair of goofy sunglasses. Is that art? I'd say so.

As for the party scene, just do Day Burning. I usually go to bed early, since then I can sleep without baking alive and all of the raver peacocks are passed out when I get up.
I volunteered at Burning Man and all I got was this stupid superiority complex.
PavementBlues

Postby fbcota » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:50 pm

PavementBlues: That was kinda what I was thinking too. Is it safe to say that Burning Man is a community that is built around creativity and art? Or is it a big party with some art and goofyness to justify it?
fbcota

Re: Role of art at the burn? Party scene?

Postby TomServo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 pm

fbcota wrote:I have a question:

What is the role of Art at Burning Man in your opinion?

also

Is the party scene taking over the event?

Insipration? I learned how to make kilts. designed and built a chopper bike, learned how to bar tend, made incredibly dangerous toys...ALL because of Burning Man and the ART.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby PavementBlues » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:16 pm

fbcota wrote:PavementBlues: That was kinda what I was thinking too. Is it safe to say that Burning Man is a community that is built around creativity and art? Or is it a big party with some art and goofyness to justify it?

I would say the former, though there will always be people who don't get it.

And yes, there are people who don't get it. It always gets me how everyone goes on about how we can't judge someone else's experience and how their Burn is just as valid as ours. No. It isn't. If their experience involves pissing in a cup and throwing it at people, or partying all night selling oxycodone, or dumping garbage in other camps, they do not pass Go and do not collect two hundred dollars.
PavementBlues

Postby Elderberry » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:12 am

Piss in a cup and throw it on somebody?? Are you talking about camp water sports? Do you have a problem with how they burn?

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby fbcota » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:50 am

I do :p.
fbcota

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:13 am

jkisha wrote:Piss in a cup and throw it on somebody?? Are you talking about camp water sports? Do you have a problem with how they burn?

JK

That sounds like a great theme camp, lol.
Orphan Endorphin Camp - 7:00 and A for 2015
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby AntiM » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:15 am

Yep, Day Burner here. Although last year I inadvertently ventured out on my own after dark on my lighted trike. It was almost more than I could do physically, but it was plenty cool. Funniest part was Larry went out to look for me, he's an awfully dear man.

I live with my art in my camp, so I tend to focus on that.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:11 am

Burning Man is the Special Olympics of art.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby PavementBlues » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:53 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:Burning Man is the Special Olympics of art.

This is one of my favorite things that I have ever read.
PavementBlues

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:09 am

It is what you bring. It's also what others bring, but you are not required to buy in to that if you don't want.
Parties are not required, fun is optional.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Risky » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:29 am

That's the great thing about any big city.
There will be some art, some music, some partying, some sex, some vehicles and more of something something.
Partake of what you like, and leave the rest for others.

I saw a sign one year -
ART SCHMART! Where's the party?
Risky

Postby Elorrum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:12 pm

this may look like a math problem, but it is not a math problem.
Elorrum

Postby jella » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:26 pm

I am in constant awe of the art and artists..
My first year I had the omg how did they do that look for days. I personally believe the art is the party,,it creates such a relaxed welcoming atmosphere "vibe" if you will. It almost seems to feed on itself. So we celebrate the Art in it's many unique forms.
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:30 pm

PavementBlues wrote:

This is one of my favorite things that I have ever read.

Paraphrasing Chicken John - where everyone plays and everyone's a winner.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

duh! Hi Erri2k how the fuck is your pyscho-ass self?

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:15 pm

i like Image but i hate poetry from this guy, Panjahl Quillard, his stuff licks ass.

and it's too late the party scene has taken over the party scene...

c'est la vie.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Elderberry » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:33 pm

So what does this mean exactly?

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby Sham » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:43 pm

jkisha wrote:

JK

If you have to explain it, then........

Never mind!
Sham

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Shambala wrote:
jkisha wrote:

JK

Never mind!

You don't have to win, because you're a winner just for participating.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Boijoy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:27 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Shambala wrote:
jkisha wrote:

JK

Never mind!

& everybody get hugs. :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby bud buddah » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:04 pm

fbcotta,

The one thing I wonder about most is, does the art exist to let the artist just say something, or does it exist to communicate? Does it matter if the art "works" or 'says something" to anyone else, or is it enough for every artist there to do their thing without the constraint of worrying what the audience experiences. This might all sound like rambling nonsense, I know. But it does seem that simply expressing something, anything, without regard to what others will see or hear is the goal on the Playa. And out of that comes some brilliant stuff, and quite a lot of amateur dreck. I'm a neanderthal, so I think art that doesn't communicate is just self indulgent masturbation that deserves no special support. But I fully recognize that worrying about "what will people think" is bound to cramp creativity. Is it all about self expression at all cost, or does art only have value if it "works" for someone else?

Bud "That fucking hippy" Buddah
bud buddah

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:35 pm

Oh? So what exactly is the Olympics of art then?
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:12 pm

bud buddah wrote:fbcotta,

The one thing I wonder about most is, does the art exist to let the artist just say something, or does it exist to communicate? Does it matter if the art "works" or 'says something" to anyone else, or is it enough for every artist there to do their thing without the constraint of worrying what the audience experiences. This might all sound like rambling nonsense, I know. But it does seem that simply expressing something, anything, without regard to what others will see or hear is the goal on the Playa. And out of that comes some brilliant stuff, and quite a lot of amateur dreck. I'm a neanderthal, so I think art that doesn't communicate is just self indulgent masturbation that deserves no special support. But I fully recognize that worrying about "what will people think" is bound to cramp creativity. Is it all about self expression at all cost, or does art only have value if it "works" for someone else?

Bud "That fucking hippy" Buddah

What the fuck do you mean by "communicate"?
Heck, I think most of Dali's work communicates "I'm self-indulgent but I know you'll love the results of my masturbation (or at least pay me lots of money for it)." (Except the chest of drawers, the Mae West room and the titles, including "The Great Masturbater.")
And while I don't know what is communicated by Goya's "cartoons" I do think that they are a pleasant sort of pop art of the day and probably kept him fed and helped him perfect his craft. And then you get to the Black Paintings, that were not meant for anyone but himself, because they were painted on the walls of his house, instead of on some sort of substrate that was more portable, but that are considered by many to be among his most important works. And maybe he wasn't really communicating at all, I've seen someone speculate that he had lead poisoning and was painting hallucinations that resulted.
Evolutionary psychologists believe that certain landscapes are a popular art form because they mimic the kind of conditions that we thrived in when we were evolving.
And of course things like the Dutch Renaissance and the Impressionists communicated things like "We're the rising middle class and now that we have money we want pretty or important things on our walls." When you get to the gothic churches and cathedrals of East Anglia, are we communicating man's order in the world god created, or the fact that the guilds are filthy rich from the wool trade and want to show off the money?

Pretty much what's communicated in burningman art, afaict, is:
Fire good
Beer good
Dance your ass off
Look at this really weird stuff I made/found

And those are real, human things, worth communicating, over and over, because it's never bad to remember what's good.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby fbcota » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Bud, I like your question.

Crypto, I like your response.

I think one of the magic things about the playa is the existence of amazing art from established hoity toity artists sitting next to a pile of junk that maybe never reached its original intention but the creator still had enough pride to place it. Its kinda a big open source gallery.

I feel that an honest sense of creativity permeates the event. I tried to pigeon hole it into "art" and failed. Yes, it is a big party. However its a party populated with hand sewn clothes, modified bikes, nice people trying to be snarky (I know who you are), odd things on fire and a whole bunch of art.

Most of it is not all that creative, but its a whole bunch of people trying. A society of weirdos is still going to have a minority of creative individuals. Or, maybe a society of wierdos will make the generally creative seem a bit dull.

Every year I hear someone say "I remember when this place was really original and everything seemed so new"

I usually respond with "That was before it became your normal" or "Why don't you do something about it because your furry boot covers are really revolutionary" or "Go rob Physer and see if they have a new drug that makes you less of an asshole"
fbcota

Postby Elderberry » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:59 pm

Boijoy wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Shambala wrote:
jkisha wrote:

JK

Never mind!

& everybody get hugs. :)

I don't need hugs, I just want to know if he thought the art was retarded or actually special.

JK
JK
Elderberry

Postby Dr Helix » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Until Burning Man, I never even considered the idea of doing anything from an artistic standpoint. But I so was inspired by ALL of what I saw that the idea of an art piece stayed in my mind. And no one was telling me not to bring or try my hand at it. In fact, they were encouraging anyone who wanted to to DO IT. So I did. I built a 14 ft tall candy box heart with my girlfriend ("heart of the city") and brought it out there. And they helped us in ways I didn't expect. And we were so proud of what we had done. And that's what Burning Man is all about Charlie Brown.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:48 pm

I do like that the baseline assumption is that everyone is creative. We live in a culture that is so profoundly anti-art (although art as commerce is just fine) that it's shocking. (Personally, I hate that we don't have art and music in the schools. I believe that those things, while not useful in the way algebra is, helps us live richer, fuller lives and that those things help make us better at algebra. Blah, blah, blah, I dont' want to go into the whole damn thing, so that's the outline.) And in this little corner of America, everyone is creative. Not a bad thing in my view.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Leo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 pm

In comedy circles, the open mike is an opportunity for trying new material. You sign up and you are given your five or ten minutes to get up on stage and "sink or swim". It makes no difference if you are a seasoned pro or if you just walked in off the street and think you are funny. If you have the balls (or ovaries) to go on stage, you are given the chance to get up to try your material before a live audience.

I see Burning Man as an "open mike" for art. I plan to bring some of my art to the playa this year. I welcome the opportunity to show my work without the politics and schmoozing required to be shown in a gallery.
Best Regards,
Leo
Leo

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy