Philosophy of Larry Harvey

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Which is Larry Harvey?

Prophet
3%
Messiah
6%
14%
Noodly Appendage
77%

Total votes : 35

Postby JStep » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:09 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I pretty much agree with what you said, except for:
curiousgnate wrote:he started something i love,

I think that various people contributed hugely to the shape of the burn, and the focus on Harvey loses that history.

Reminds me of Jerry Garcia (Yeah, I know, when you're done throwing rocks at me for that one, read on...)

One small part, a founding part, of what became something with a life all it's own, where unfortunately for him he gets all the credit (and blame) from some folks because they seek a king, leader, messiah figure to raise up on a pedestal (or crucifix). So, to deal with it he stays out of the spotlight for the most part and avoids saying more than needed because the ripples become tidal waves in the minds of the mindless.

Or something like that... Just my reflection from looking at the buzz here and elsewhere on the web about him. Must be hard to be pinned down as The One when you were clearly just another participant who happened to be there when they were creating something.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:59 pm

I got to speak to Larry (well, actually I answered a question). Jellyfish and his U-Me crew got invited to an Artist's party, but we showed up on the wrong day. Apparently the Minions were elsewhere, because we strolled up to the inner sanctum and chatted briefly with him. He thought my spacesuit costume was interesting, because it was dripping water (part of the cooling system). Very nice guy, and articulate as well. Fan of Jellyfish's work.

However he was sitting in a lawn recliner drink in hand, more noodly like than any of the other options, so that is what I voted...
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy