Burningman gun policy, unlawful & dangerous!

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby gunsmith » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:29 pm

[quote="gyre"]
I would note that most people have totally missed gunsmith's point, being a vague policy that may result in increased risk.
[/quote]

Thank you!

I think I started off on the wrong foot though- just because in my view the gate is half populated by silly smokers- I kind of worded the op the wrong way.

now back to your regularly scheduled cheese
I may not be here now but I was there then
gunsmith

Postby gyre » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:57 pm

To get the features to work, enable bbcode and smilies on your profile.
All features should work in preview.

I recommend enabling email on your profile too.

To add a little info, some pistols are carried cocked with the safety on.
Only someone experienced should be handling these guns.

Most microguns are DAO and have no safety, but are often carried chambered.
It still takes real stupidity to fire one by accident though.
Most will not fire when dropped, even on concrete.

Some guns are modified for a light pull to fire, or are just crap and dangerous in general.

Have seen guns carried down shorts and so corroded that they could not be salvaged.
Thankfully many criminals are so poorly trained at use and maintenance, that they are possibly more of a threat to themselves than others.
If anyone tries to fire a gun sideways at you, your chances of dropping them are much higher.

We did have a car shooting here where one killed their passenger in error, while shooting at others.
Convicted.
This type of person isn't following any rules, including common sense.
But they are usually not legal to own a weapon already.
gyre

Postby ygmir » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm

did you miss the foogin cheese memo?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Cheese Gun - An AOW

Postby gyre » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:05 pm

I like that late night preacher always talking about cheeses.
gyre

Postby gyre » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:07 pm

ygmir wrote:did you miss the foogin cheese memo?

How did you not bring up pantysgawn!?

So disillusioning.
gyre

Postby The CO » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:21 pm

I think I understand what Gunsmith is trying to say. I would point out, however, that the liability/dangerous side of things you are trying to illustrate (gate taking weapons in whatever fashion) falls on the person bringing the firearm, as they are the root of the issue. If one were to follow the rules or have the common sense to not have firearms blatantly visible, the issue does not arise.

Side note- I've never liked the "a guns sole purpose is to kill" argument. I've been shooting for about 85% of my life, gone hunting so few times I can count on both hands, never carried in fear of my life or for self defense, and probably fired 50,000 rounds from nearly every conceivable firearm. Been a target shooter since age 7.

Finally, everyone knows that Tillamook cheese is the king daddy of them all. If your ever on the Oregon coast, stop in and take the tour. And, you can buy some "squeeky cheese" (aka cheese curd) while you're there.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby teardropper » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:26 am

Not cheese, but I too have been shooting most of my life, was an avid hunter with gundog and own several guns still. Understood the argument, just needed to have a say.

Yeah, Cryptofish, that Anchor beer is different, like it, but don't see it up here much.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby SilverOrange » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:27 am

Who knew that the addition of cheese would turn this into a much more civilized discussion. I'm a lover of just about any smoked cheese.
SilverOrange

Postby AntiM » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:50 am

A little known secret about all that famous Wisconsin cheese... they import cheese curds from Idaho. Idaho is a big dairy state, and there are truckloads of cheese curds headed east daily. Curds stink when they spill out of their cardboard container drums into the trailer because some entitled dim bint in a tiny sedan tries to cut off the big truck but ends up underneath just in front of the rear tandems and you have to find a truckwash which isn't easy in Wisconsin.

Good thing the company bans guns in the trucks.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:10 am

AntiM wrote:A little known secret about all that famous Wisconsin cheese... they import cheese curds from Idaho. Idaho is a big dairy state, and there are truckloads of cheese curds headed east daily. Curds stink when they spill out of their cardboard container drums into the trailer because some entitled dim bint in a tiny sedan tries to cut off the big truck but ends up underneath just in front of the rear tandems and you have to find a truckwash which isn't easy in Wisconsin.

Good thing the company bans guns in the trucks.

Post of the Day!!!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:56 am

The CO wrote:Side note- I've never liked the "a guns sole purpose is to kill" argument. I've been shooting for about 85% of my life, gone hunting so few times I can count on both hands, never carried in fear of my life or for self defense, and probably fired 50,000 rounds from nearly every conceivable firearm. Been a target shooter since age 7.

>>Swoon<< I knew there was a reason I liked you so much...

The CO wrote:Finally, everyone knows that Tillamook cheese is the king daddy of them all. If your ever on the Oregon coast, stop in and take the tour. And, you can buy some "squeeky cheese" (aka cheese curd) while you're there.

You KNOW what's in MY fridge! (Still, how many babys does it take to make a Baby Loaf???)

I gotta admit, tho, that fresh Italian Bufalo Mozarella is awfully hard to beat... especially sliced, with some sliced fresh tomatoes interspersed, a little olive oil and fresh basil... a glass of Sangiovese, or better, Montepulciano ... Caprese anyone??

Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:16 am

first pie, now this......BBS..........you temptress you...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby jkisha » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:41 pm

I know this thread has drifted quite a bit and the original topic probably has been discussed to death, but can anyone guess where I noticed this sign today?

It was posted all over the grounds of the VA Hospital. Hmmm....got me to thinking. Almost all of the people that visit this facility are soldiers, who's job it was to use weapons and were thoroughly trained in said use.

Nobody to my knowledge has ever complained about this policy, and these people are trained soldiers.

So why is it that the argument was so strong regarding guns not being allowed at BM--especially when so many people might be drinking, getting high or be just plain yahoos wanting to reaffirm their manhood and showoff at the event?

Just doesn't make any sense to me.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby gyre » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:06 pm

Good argument.

BIG FIRE and art cars probably aren't safe either.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:28 pm

And we have absolutely no restrictions on those activities, do we? ;)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:07 pm

Not to mention the health risks of the airborne playa dust attacking the lungs... Siliciosis, anyone? And the rampant use of radios, and attempts to use cellpones... They say excessive RF causes brain damage.

And they even have an airport - you've seen how bad the results are when a pair of jetliners collide, right? And there's less than 1/100th the people on a pair of airliners than are at BRC.

Where Pie, on the other hand, is not only all american, but is safe, causes smiles, and tastes good besides. PLUS - you can put anything in a pie... From banana cream to fresh peaches to veggies and potatoes to Bacon.

Vote Pie for Governor.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby ygmir » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:46 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Not to mention the health risks of the airborne playa dust attacking the lungs... Siliciosis, anyone? And the rampant use of radios, and attempts to use cellpones... They say excessive RF causes brain damage.

And they even have an airport - you've seen how bad the results are when a pair of jetliners collide, right? And there's less than 1/100th the people on a pair of airliners than are at BRC.

Where Pie, on the other hand, is not only all american, but is safe, causes smiles, and tastes good besides. PLUS - you can put anything in a pie... From banana cream to fresh peaches to veggies and potatoes to Bacon.

Vote Pie for Governor.

you gotta know at least 3.1416 percent of the people will........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby gyre » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:09 am

lol
gyre

Postby jkisha » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:15 am

ygmir wrote:
Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Not to mention the health risks of the airborne playa dust attacking the lungs... Siliciosis, anyone? And the rampant use of radios, and attempts to use cellpones... They say excessive RF causes brain damage.

Vote Pie for Governor.

you gotta know at least 3.1416 percent of the people will........

:) :) :) :) :)

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby wraith » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:00 am

jkisha wrote:I know this thread has drifted quite a bit and the original topic probably has been discussed to death, but can anyone guess where I noticed this sign today?

It was posted all over the grounds of the VA Hospital. Hmmm....got me to thinking. Almost all of the people that visit this facility are soldiers, who's job it was to use weapons and were thoroughly trained in said use.

Nobody to my knowledge has ever complained about this policy, and these people are trained soldiers.

So why is it that the argument was so strong regarding guns not being allowed at BM--especially when so many people might be drinking, getting high or be just plain yahoos wanting to reaffirm their manhood and showoff at the event?

Just doesn't make any sense to me.

JK

I think it's just that gunsmith's not very well spoken. Seems to me, reading the thread, that his issue is that there exists, on paper, a policy of confiscating firearms at the Gate. That is a bit of a problem, as it leaves the owner in a bad situation of letting a weapon he's legally responsible for out of his possession.

If the policy simply read 'Don't Bring Your Gun To The Desert', I don't think we'd have had to have this little discussion. I mean, I carry a pistol day-to-day, when I'm not going to be on campus or in a government building where I can't legally do so, and while I'd like to have that pistol handy for the drive, I can't think of any reason why I'd want it at the Burn. Guns come with consequences, and I really prefer to keep the worst case scenarios at down to fist fights and hitting darkwads with my bike!

But if he'd managed to be reasonable, then I couldn't stop in to praise the wonder that is Tillamook extra sharp cheddar. :P
wraith

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy