Evolution of Music Scene

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:04 pm

JStep wrote:LOL,
What I've learned reading this thread:

You are mastering the zen of Burning Man, young grasshopper. You will do well.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby JStep » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:34 pm

Eric wrote:

Thank you Master. There seems to be an inversely proportionate relationship between number of posts read and amount of knowledge gained.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:33 pm

JStep wrote:
Eric wrote:

Thank you Master. There seems to be an inversely proportionate relationship between number of posts read and amount of knowledge gained.

Technical knowledge can be gained- tent stakes vs. rebar; how to build a hexa-yurt; evap pond ideas; costume ideas; etc. Even on those there are multiple choices, but its easier to figure out what will work for you.

Everything else is from personal perspective, and doesn't count for anyone except to the person saying it (including this sentence).
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby JStep » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:21 pm

Eric wrote:Technical knowledge can be gained- tent stakes vs. rebar; how to build a hexa-yurt; evap pond ideas; costume ideas; etc.

That's where I get the data I need that I can use. This thread is more of me trying to figure out if there really are that many people all doing the same exact thing very badly or if there is more a subset of particular people on ePlaya that are just of the same opinion. Or maore a mix of the two I suspect.

Anyway... I think I've drifted this tread enough. LOL. Look forward to griping about the thump, in the sun, on the playa, and maybe a share a drink with you.

Goodnight!
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Digit » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:07 am

Eric wrote:
JStep wrote:
Eric wrote:

Technical knowledge can be gained- tent stakes vs. rebar; how to build a hexa-yurt; evap pond ideas; costume ideas; etc. Even on those there are multiple choices, but its easier to figure out what will work for you.

Everything else is from personal perspective, and doesn't count for anyone except to the person saying it (including this sentence).

Eloquently put.

On the same token, my friends almost refuse to tell me anything about what their trips out into 'That Thing in The Desert' have been like, most of the time, just smiling and saying "You'll just have to see for yourself." A little frustrating, but after reading the last 3 pages of posts that I've been neglecting, I'm starting to understand what they mean (i think).

But then again, with most things in life, I'm also beginning to get the impression that NOT understanding BM is what it's all about, at the same time...

And now I'm just as confused as before, but I think that this time... It's good? (And there I go, thinking again.) :roll:
Digit

Postby sarahcanary » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:49 am

i went to burning man in 1996. there was one rave camp. ONE! and it was about a half mile from black rock city. some glow sticks lit the way out to it. i think i went out to it once, and was glad it was far off cuz it was sorta full on and that got annoying fast. some people got killed that year out at the rave camp, hit by a car in their tent that was pitched a little ways off from it. raves were set to banned from bm the next year. there was a debate amongst the organizers, and one guy (whose name i forget) stood up for the raves. he said it was not fair to let hippies drum all night, yet ban techno music. he won. raves were incorporated into 'sound camps' and every year since then, these 'sound camps' that are really mini raves, have become more and more prolific.
also, there used to be a main stage where bands played. that seems to have gotten nixed somewhere along the way.
sarahcanary

Postby neon tetra » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:03 am

Well, the biggest 'rave mega camp' in 2010, Root Society, won't be returning to the playa.

They sure as hell went out with a bang..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIeITXoTrzw[/youtube]

But I wonder if someone else will outdo them next year, or if the playa will be .01% quieter. I wouldn't bet on the latter, but you never know.
neon tetra

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:50 am

sarahcanary wrote: that seems to have gotten nixed somewhere along the way.

Nixed or just fizzled out?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby neon tetra » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:54 pm

<3

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecuXUl7ReeM[/youtube]
neon tetra

Postby Digit » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:19 am

neon tetra wrote:<3

<3

Love it. :D
Digit

Evolution of a music scene in a Metropolis!

Postby meta-brca » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:04 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy17k3ES768[/youtube]

Our camp is the Freestyle Palace, located at 9:00 Keyhole inbetween the Esplenade and "A".
We have been hosting live musicians since 2005. We started this camp because we as musicians were having a hard time finding places to play at, especially unscheduled performances! So we offer drums, bass and acoustic guitars, microphones, instrumental beats, and we also have a bar. Basically we offer an open mic platform for anyone to come and do what they do! It's amazing because we have had Trombone players, amazing drummers, guitar players, trumpet players, as well as DJ's come and play. As far as age goes, we have had everything from Teenagers to Older people come and share their music! Emcees freestyle raps, people sing, and sometimes people just recite poetry. It's very hands on, and is designed for the burner who is looking for a place to show their talents.

HipHop, and Electronic music are our hearts, but we also love and respect every other genre of music that we are blessed to share! Check out this little movie/doc on some of the music scene in BRC, and there is even a little section on the Freestyle Palace.

Peace and Love to BRC! Here's to your adventures, whichever way the wind might blow you! <3

*Here is a link to our 2010 Playa Gift that we gave out this year*

Black Rock City Allstars album dedicated to Metropolis
http://www.blackrockcityallstars.com/metropolisnew.zip
Michael "Metaphysical" Russell
Black Rock City Allstars
meta-brca

Postby Aiee! It burns! » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:26 am

neon tetra wrote:<3

Would you call this "downtempo"? :)
Aiee! It burns!

The diaspora only serves to makes us NEVER REGRET!

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:01 am

neon tetra wrote:Well, the biggest 'rave mega camp' in 2010, Root Society, won't be returning to the playa.

They sure as hell went out with a bang..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIeITXoTrzw[/youtube]

But I wonder if someone else will outdo them next year, or if the playa will be .01% quieter. I wouldn't bet on the latter, but you never know.

the Great Army of the Sparkle Pony has been scattered to the four corners of the globe.

viewtopic.php?t=37716

but realize that when the time comes, the Horn of Funky Gideon will be sounded and

THE SPARKLE HORDE WILL ARISE FROM THE DUST TO SONICALLY KICK THE PLAYA'S ASS ONCE AGAIN!

and you will love it.

selah.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Liz Estrada » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:36 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP8A7vGM0Tc&feature=related[/youtube]
"larry was better"
Liz Estrada

Postby TomServo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:14 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5NU6ZfSSlk&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby TomServo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:20 pm

anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:53 am

this musin is the mosty prominent becaus it is the loudes and flashiest. rock dues dont build giant dance domes. i wouldlov to hear more variety in the music. also plese can more than one place still be rocking on sunday night? what the fuck?
MyPlayaUserName

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Ass Stamp Camp/ The Neighbourhood

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:04 am

As usual, it's up to you!
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy