What Burning Man meant to me (as a first time Burner in '09)

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

What Burning Man meant to me (as a first time Burner in '09)

Postby turnerburner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:47 am

- Never, ever refuse a gift. The importance of the gift lies not in the gift as type but in the gift as token. The value of the gift inheres only in the process of gifting that 'thing' from one person to another. When the value of the gift is conflated with its monetary worth, the act of gifting becomes transactional and, therefore, worthless. Gifts received that are not utilised by the recipient shall always be passed on.

- Be self-reliant. Always pick up one's waste. The more we are able to care for ourselves, the less we need 'the man/the state' to do our job for us. Complete self-reliance renders both 'the man/the state' unnecessary and, therefore, obsolete. It empowers the individual and not 'the man/the state'.

- Get rid of what you don't need. Holding on to what you don't need is the self-imposition of unnecessary obstacles to what is truly important.

- Embrace all that cultivates and inspires the imagination/creativity. The power of creativity via the use of the imagination is self defining and liberating insofar as it enables the expression of the individual. It is beautiful insofar as each individual's expression is unique. However, it also unifies each individual with something larger and greater than that individual. It aligns each individual with something greater than the sum of its parts. This is felt as a connection to something whole, cosmic and universal. I think the Christians describe it as 'grace'!

- Realise that around us are institutions/power structures that are purposely instituted to control us and to prevent self-realisation. Imagination, expression, individualism are all stifled because they represent a threat to the power structures of our society. Look around us: we wear the same clothes, buy the same brands, drive the same cars. Things are provided for us and copied over and over. We are being conditioned to similarity and conformity because this is the most effective method of keeping us 'in our place'. I think this is called post modernism.

- The burning of the man represents many things to many people but I took from it the following: During the whole week of Burning Man, the Man acts as our guide - if we become lost or disorientated, all we need do is search for the Man - we rely on him for self-orientation/definition. In a world of constant change and transience (weather, colours, night, day, outfits!), the Man represent constancy, security, tradition perhaps and authority. He is the centric, controlling influence that guides our daily lives, the primary institution of Burning Man. His (perceived) importance is heightened by the fact that (the idea of) Time is subverted: Time is used to orientate the City's street plan and not in its usual, conventional sense. Throughout the week we learn the power of self-reliance, expression and community: we learn to survive the hardships of the desert and how to orientate ourselves in an unfamiliar land. This empowers us to the realisation that the Man is not longer required for his power resides within each and every one of us. We learn that he is, in fact, a straw man that we have both created and destroyed. His power is illusory - we create him because we think we need to...but, guess what, we get rid of what we don't need - all we need is ourselves, and, each other. The Man is a metaphor for societal power structures: for Gods, Presidents, Kings and Queens, for hierarchies in general. The realisation that power resides with us is Beautiful and the burning of the Man represents the catharsis/release from prior held beliefs in the necessity of His existence.
turnerburner

Postby Isotopia » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:16 pm

Why not wait for the event to end and then report back on what it means to you.

Writing about something you haven't experienced and then assigning personal meaning it is setting yourself up for a good drumming.
Isotopia

Postby turnerburner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:28 pm

Maybe because I wrote it following my first time in 2009. I've got better ways to spend my time than writing fiction and passing it off as alleged first hand experience!
turnerburner

Postby bx1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:27 pm

turnerburner wrote:Maybe because I wrote it following my first time in 2009. I've got better ways to spend my time than writing fiction and passing it off as alleged first hand experience!

Easy there partner...
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872

bx1

Postby drucake » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:50 pm

i thought what he wrote was beautiful.
drucake

Postby bgirl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:19 pm

I have not been back since 96/97 and will return next year. The last time I went to BM it was possible to get lost but using the Man as a beacon would not have always been possible. You see there were no fences. You could drive across the playa and you had better have a compass and the ability to use it. Within 5 minutes of driving in any direction you could barely see the camp, let alone the Man, and you had to have a compass to find the event in 1996. It was really great!! I am a little apprehensive of the restrictions in mobility on the desert, the fences and such and am wondering if anyone here has any thoughts about that. If there is anyone that went back in the day when there were no fences, and has attended w/fences, your opinion would be appreciated.
bgirl

Postby turnerburner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Thank you so much Drucake. That means a lot to me.
turnerburner

Postby gyre » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:46 am

bgirl wrote:I have not been back since 96/97 and will return next year. The last time I went to BM it was possible to get lost but using the Man as a beacon would not have always been possible. You see there were no fences. You could drive across the playa and you had better have a compass and the ability to use it. Within 5 minutes of driving in any direction you could barely see the camp, let alone the Man, and you had to have a compass to find the event in 1996. It was really great!! I am a little apprehensive of the restrictions in mobility on the desert, the fences and such and am wondering if anyone here has any thoughts about that. If there is anyone that went back in the day when there were no fences, and has attended w/fences, your opinion would be appreciated.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around your not returning since then.
gyre

Postby bx1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:41 pm

bgirl wrote:I have not been back since 96/97 and will return next year. The last time I went to BM it was possible to get lost but using the Man as a beacon would not have always been possible. You see there were no fences. You could drive across the playa and you had better have a compass and the ability to use it. Within 5 minutes of driving in any direction you could barely see the camp, let alone the Man, and you had to have a compass to find the event in 1996. It was really great!! I am a little apprehensive of the restrictions in mobility on the desert, the fences and such and am wondering if anyone here has any thoughts about that. If there is anyone that went back in the day when there were no fences, and has attended w/fences, your opinion would be appreciated.

Well I went in 99, and while I don't remember fences then, I was pretty intoxicated most of the time (I was young, and pretty much went to party). I can tell you my experiences since then have been much better. And, while there are fences, they are far out. I don't believe they interfere with the event. If fact, they probably prevent some wandering fools that get to wasted from walking themselves to far from the event and to their death.
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872

bx1

Postby Trishntek » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:14 pm

While sitting in a hotel in Reno, returning to defaultia from the playa gave me way too much time during the exodus to think and ponder this past week. We came and set up a camp with just five people. By Monday evening, we were 9 strong with FIVE twenty-somethings we did not know prior to the event.

They were such a blessing to us,,,, as they say we were to them.
Who would have known so much interactivity, joy, companionship, tears and long periods of laughter could occur gathered around such a perverted offering as absinthe from Superman's cock.

The folks across from us at the Cock and Waffle were great neighbors along with YUM to our west. The neighborhood was fun and extremely interactive. But the greatest gift to us personally, were the intimate conversations, challenging interactions and marvelous injection of enthusiasm from strangers who are now very close friends. There is nothing which stands eternally except for that which we invest in another person's life.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:42 pm

There were attempts at bird-net fences in '97 and '98 for windblown trash, as I recall, but it's not just for inert trash anymore.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Return to Politics & Philosophy