Allegory of The Isle

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Allegory of The Isle

Postby AnyPlace » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:57 am

Culture became war, when men decided the quickest way to the heart of understanding was through the blood, and even now multitudes makes their way, with steady stroke, to the Island of Victory to carve righteousness into the annuls of history, towering high beyond time, where the body politic resides, to weigh power and defeat, from which the resolute man must draw a line in the sand on the beach of the island of righteousness to maintain the height of consciousness when consciousness belongs to the few as well as the bold. But Men are men, and desire is a wicked and passionate thing that cannot live long on hope and the table scraps of those sound in mind and body on The Isle, thus the cyclical frictions that, inexorably, lead to the need for understanding because of mans innate reasoning that no single life weighs more than an others, outside of the ideal because the ideal can speak nothing to reason.
AnyPlace

Postby Isotopia » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:19 pm

What second-hand comic did you lift that little passage out of?
Isotopia

Postby swampdog » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:21 pm

I'm not sure what you mean, but I'll bet you'll love Thunderdome
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby AnyPlace » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:24 pm

[quote="Isotopia"]What second-hand comic did you lift that little passage out of?[/quote]

Wow, harsh. I hope you feel better about whatever has been bothering you.
AnyPlace

Postby AnyPlace » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:28 pm

[quote="swampdog"]I'm not sure what you mean, but I'll bet you'll love Thunderdome[/quote]

I have no idea what Thunderdome is (don't hate me:-). And All I mean is, if the path to understanding isn't built on a foundation of reason, then its doomed to bring only misery.
AnyPlace

Postby swampdog » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Your first posting comes off a wee bit pompous. Hence the snark from Iso. If you make a Grand Pronouncement here you're going to get shit for it.

Not familiar with Thunderdome? Keeed, you in for a ride.
swampdog

Postby Token » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:43 pm

This is why I love the plonk feature.

:plonk:
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby AnyPlace » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:51 pm

[quote="swampdog"]Your first posting comes off a wee bit pompous. Hence the snark from Iso. If you make a Grand Pronouncement here you're going to get shit for it.

Not familiar with Thunderdome? Keeed, you in for a ride.[/quote]

I never knew a simple exercise of reason could seem so grand. And what is life without pronouncements, grand or otherwise? If you have a voice then speak, whether what you say be as meek as the squeak of a mouse of as thunderous as, well... Thunderdome. (I still have no clue what it is:-). Any and all reflections on the state of things should be considered valid, if for no other reason that the fact that we all have to find a way to coexist on this mud ball.
AnyPlace

Postby AnyPlace » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:56 pm

[quote="Token"]This is why I love the plonk feature.

:plonk:[/quote]

Sir, what is a 'plonk'? This is the second reference I have failed at recognizing. Could you spare some enlightenment?
AnyPlace

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:21 pm

I got 3 lines in before i grew bored.

Pictures or GTFO!
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby AnyPlace » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:36 pm

[quote="Fire_Moose"]I got 3 lines in before i grew bored.

Pictures or GTFO![/quote]

I don't know whether to be taken aback by how dull I, supposedly, am or to be proud by how open you are with you attention deficit disorder.

I learned long ago the art of powering through, and that if this weren't possible, to move on.
AnyPlace

Postby AntiM » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:31 pm

I couldn't get past the bad grammar and lack of punctuation. I hate reading run-on sentences.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:43 pm

Very, very purple prose. I got two lines before my brain started clouding.

Of course, after Spenser, the english language pretty much gave up on allegories.

With good reason.

Oh--tltr.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AnyPlace » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:45 pm

[quote="AntiM"]I couldn't get past the bad grammar and lack of punctuation. I hate reading run-on sentences.[/quote]

Quality! I always like when someone renders a judgement on semantics in a philosophical forum,without actually touching the philosophy.

(though, I do agree. this is just rant.)[/list]
AnyPlace

Postby AnyPlace » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:53 pm

[quote="theCryptofishist"]Very, very purple prose. I got two lines before my brain started clouding.

Of course, after Spenser, the english language pretty much gave up on allegories.

With good reason.

Oh--tltr.[/quote]

You could've just called me overly verbose or a pompous blowhard. I'm not a sensitive guy:-)
AnyPlace

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:32 pm

Looks like something Larry would have written. Hence the snark.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:38 pm

2 items as follows...

(1) I was looking for the hidden embedded panda shoes link there...

(2) I don't think his Hatness would have written that as he's allegedly a republican, and everyone knows allegory ran on the demokrat ticket.

Submitted in haste...
bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby swampdog » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:52 pm

Plonk: setting available in eplaya to no longer show the items from an individual. You're on his ignore list, your postings don't show to him.

Thunderdome: http://tinyurl.com/37f5sln

I'm trying to be nice but you're being pretty annoying. For someone who claims
I'm not a sensitive guy:-)
you get awfully touchy when your writing is criticized.

My advice? Move on. Read more eplaya, make a few comments on other threads before you try to make a grand entrance. Hopefully by then you'd know better than to make a grand entrance. Eplaya is good for advice, it's good for chatting, it's not really the place for this.

And as always, remember - Eplaya != Playa
swampdog

Postby AnyPlace » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:05 pm

[quote="swampdog"]Plonk: setting available in eplaya to no longer show the items from an individual. You're on his ignore list, your postings don't show to him.

Thunderdome: [url]http://tinyurl.com/37f5sln[/url]

I'm trying to be nice but you're being pretty annoying. For someone who claims [quote] I'm not a sensitive guy:-)[/quote] you get awfully touchy when your writing is criticized.

My advice? Move on. Read more eplaya, make a few comments on other threads before you try to make a grand entrance. Hopefully by then you'd know better than to make a grand entrance. Eplaya is good for advice, it's good for chatting, it's not really the place for this.

And as always, remember - Eplaya != Playa[/quote]

Do people have actual conversations in this place? This is how they work: you make a comment and I respond. Simple, yes? If u dont want me to respond, then stop commenting. Otherwise, you'll be getting more of the same.

And I have no problem with criticism. In fact, I agree with most but just because I do, that doesn't mean I'm going to cling to silence when faced with it. I enjoy my voice very much. I'm very thankful to have one and I will use it!
AnyPlace

Postby Stitch » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Dibs.
Stitch

Postby SilverOrange » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:32 pm

Stitch wrote:

Dibs.

Let me know when and I'll be there to cheer you on Stitch.
SilverOrange

Postby AnyPlace » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:38 pm

[quote="Stitch"][quote]I'm not sure what you mean, but I'll bet you'll love Thunderdome[/quote]

Dibs.[/quote]

Would this happen to be mad max, would it?
AnyPlace

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Okay, your flowery way of talking has me as ...unamused as anyone, but at least go to your profile & enable BBcode. That will make your quotes show up correctly.

Or-

Praythee, if you wish for your excessive affectations in speech to be rendered more palatable to those minions who do mock you and for the full glorious volume of your thoughts to fly free in the ether unhindered by mundane needs you shall find ensconced within your profile on this very Crucible of Wisdom a box, a small box, with the trivial title of enable BBCode, which, when placed at "yes", will allow the words of others to appear as fresh within your response as they appeared in their own.

Granted, I used to much punctuation. Sorry. I'm a copy-editor.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby AnyPlace » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:41 pm

Eric wrote:Okay, your flowery way of talking has me as ...unamused as anyone, but at least go to your profile & enable BBcode. That will make your quotes show up correctly.

Or-

Praythee, if you wish for your excessive affectations in speech to be rendered more palatable to those minions who do mock you and for the full glorious volume of your thoughts to fly free in the ether unhindered by mundane needs you shall find ensconced within your profile on this very Crucible of Wisdom a box, ao small box, with the trivial title of enable BBCode, which, when placed at "yes", will allow the words of others to appear as fresh within your response as they appeared in their own.

Granted, I used to much punctuation. Sorry. I'm a copy-editor.

Oh, snap, I just got served!-) You've got teeth! Keep this up and I may actually start to like you.

And I will enable BBCode. Thank you.
AnyPlace

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:58 pm

AnyPlace wrote:Oh, snap, I just got served!-) You've got teeth! Keep this up and I may actually start to like you.

Teeth just got filed yesterday. Very sharp.
and I'm not kidding. My dentist loves me....

I'm as likable as I am. Good for some people, not so much for others.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby AnyPlace » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:12 pm

[quote="Eric"][quote="AnyPlace"]Oh, snap, I just got served!-) You've got teeth! Keep this up and I may actually start to like you.[/quote]

Teeth just got filed yesterday. Very sharp.
[size=5]and I'm not kidding. My dentist loves me....[/size]

I'm as likable as I am. Good for some people, not so much for others.[/quote]

I may be pompous, but I will always be a man who appreciates truth. When its spoken, I listen. Respect.
AnyPlace

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:14 pm

well then, listen to this universal truth and heed it's warning.

SIT DOWN, SHUT THE FUCK UP, AND DRINK THE GODDAMN KOOLAID.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Shambala's troll » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:17 pm

AnyPlace wrote:Do people have actual conversations in this place? This is how they work: you make a comment and I respond. Simple, yes? If u dont want me to respond, then stop commenting. Otherwise, you'll be getting more of the same.

You're so smart. Tell me more Mr. Wizard!
Shambala's troll

Postby bluesbob » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:22 pm

Edmund Spenser & a Panda...Thunderdome! BE THERE!
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby AntiM » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:36 am

AnyPlace wrote:
AntiM wrote:I couldn't get past the bad grammar and lack of punctuation. I hate reading run-on sentences.

Quality! I always like when someone renders a judgement on semantics in a philosophical forum,without actually touching the philosophy.

(though, I do agree. this is just rant.)[/list]

I did not want to expend the effort to get at the philosophy by wading through the semantics. Language has many uses, clear communication being a key function. Few people will bother with your ideas if the packaging is poor.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy