Burning Assumptions

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Burning Assumptions

Postby Nitevenus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:04 am

Okay Joel, you first approached this board seeming to be a young party dude just challenging the group so you can find your "Zen". I was nice enough to respond and suggest that you might find what you need in another nice desert area. BUT it didn't stop there..... and you continue to post. Thankfully not in some of the areas where there are genuine questions regarding on how one can make theirs a better experience.

You not only pose misguided questions, you make assumptions. You call us "sheeples". Or should we blame that on alcohol consumption? Loose lips, err, loose keyboard? You assume that none of us are employers, or corporate name holders and that all of us are "hey, look at me" attention mongers. What better way to hide that funky looking tree but in a forest of them?? So what if there seems to be an air of "fuck the man" as long as it's not THE Man. If someone wants to seriously take that on, careful of wood splinters!

Why is an event of radical self reliance and radical self expression so foreign to you. I know, I know....that radical self expression has a bit of a bridle to it. Ever see a stampeding herd heading toward a cliff?? Let's call that bridle governing law and common sense. Who said we weren't consumers? If you were to actually make a visit to the burn, you would see exactly how much people bring to consume and "give" to others to consume. But it's their responsibility to clean up their own mess, not everyone elses. You ARE missing the point.

You want to be expressive and ride your quads, get off on fireworks and vast amounts of alcohol. The evolution of this event and lessons learned because of others like you dictates some form of organization for the safety of it's growing numbers. Not to mention, it's the governments playground and we have to abide by their rules. BUT we can still play out there and live the illusion that we're getting away with some stuff.

This event has a broad spectrum of belief systems and values, eras and genres. We are all out there looking for something to feed the soul, mind or body. Don't try to lump every 40K + in attendance as one and the same. So, let's get back to that "ZEN"...... I guess I had always thought that to be somewhat kin to enlightenment or meditative. But, hell, okay, if you get that from the vibration and bump from a Honda quad, keep on truckin'...uh, quadin'......somewhere else or any other months of the year in Black Rock.

There are truly some gifted people who post on this board, witty, thought provoking, sarcastic, funny, snarky.....all of whom I've enjoyed just visiting their thoughts. I'm not sure about you though. You've been tolerated for sure, and chided, and unfortunately blasted at times. Yes, I will be blasted for "feeding the troll".

BUT let's ask you this;
WHY are you really here? If you don't plan on coming to burning man....WHY are you still here? If it's to just stir up shit for your late night boredom and entertainment, some of us are getting really tired of the smell.

I DARE you, buy the ticket, abide by the structure and then talk about the valid questions. Then, you may find that your opinion may count.

.....to my fellow eplayans, if you've gotten this far, thank you for your patience and try to be kind, yes I did feed this one.... I wonder, though, if Joel has hung in this far. Whether he has is a true burning question.
Nitevenus

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:11 am

/starts the slow clap...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:09 am

/joins in the slow clap
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:26 am

/claps with one hand repetitively.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby TomServo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:26 am

*nods* that was a beautiful rant!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Elorrum » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:51 pm

*.wav sound of the buddy door opening *
Elorrum

Postby maryanimal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:09 pm

Brava nitevenus. That was eloquently stated. This year will be my first burn and I couldn't be more excited. I want to experience the diversity of the peoples, artistry, and live for one week in a city made for self-expression and new found friendships. I don't care how much you make or about the color of your skin, nor do I are about one-upmanship.

But show me friendship, creativity and how much fun I can have. Introduce me to the temple so I can place a memory of someone I love and lost.

But if you plan to show me dishonesty, fake empathy, or just plain stupidity, then don't approach me at all.

So with that said, I know my experience will be indescribable. Thank you TomServo for being able to show me Burning Man for the first time.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Clar-i-ty » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:23 pm

Well put and bloody brilliant.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Re: Burning Assumptions

Postby burningquestions » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:41 pm

Nitevenus wrote:Okay Joel, you first approached this board seeming to be a young party dude just challenging the group so you can find your "Zen". I was nice enough to respond and suggest that you might find what you need in another nice desert area. BUT it didn't stop there..... and you continue to post. Thankfully not in some of the areas where there are genuine questions regarding on how one can make theirs a better experience.

You not only pose misguided questions, you make assumptions. You call us "sheeples". Or should we blame that on alcohol consumption? Loose lips, err, loose keyboard? You assume that none of us are employers, or corporate name holders and that all of us are "hey, look at me" attention mongers. What better way to hide that funky looking tree but in a forest of them?? So what if there seems to be an air of "fuck the man" as long as it's not THE Man. If someone wants to seriously take that on, careful of wood splinters!

Why is an event of radical self reliance and radical self expression so foreign to you. I know, I know....that radical self expression has a bit of a bridle to it. Ever see a stampeding herd heading toward a cliff?? Let's call that bridle governing law and common sense. Who said we weren't consumers? If you were to actually make a visit to the burn, you would see exactly how much people bring to consume and "give" to others to consume. But it's their responsibility to clean up their own mess, not everyone elses. You ARE missing the point.

You want to be expressive and ride your quads, get off on fireworks and vast amounts of alcohol. The evolution of this event and lessons learned because of others like you dictates some form of organization for the safety of it's growing numbers. Not to mention, it's the governments playground and we have to abide by their rules. BUT we can still play out there and live the illusion that we're getting away with some stuff.

This event has a broad spectrum of belief systems and values, eras and genres. We are all out there looking for something to feed the soul, mind or body. Don't try to lump every 40K + in attendance as one and the same. So, let's get back to that "ZEN"...... I guess I had always thought that to be somewhat kin to enlightenment or meditative. But, hell, okay, if you get that from the vibration and bump from a Honda quad, keep on truckin'...uh, quadin'......somewhere else or any other months of the year in Black Rock.

There are truly some gifted people who post on this board, witty, thought provoking, sarcastic, funny, snarky.....all of whom I've enjoyed just visiting their thoughts. I'm not sure about you though. You've been tolerated for sure, and chided, and unfortunately blasted at times. Yes, I will be blasted for "feeding the troll".

BUT let's ask you this;
WHY are you really here? If you don't plan on coming to burning man....WHY are you still here? If it's to just stir up shit for your late night boredom and entertainment, some of us are getting really tired of the smell.

I DARE you, buy the ticket, abide by the structure and then talk about the valid questions. Then, you may find that your opinion may count.

.....to my fellow eplayans, if you've gotten this far, thank you for your patience and try to be kind, yes I did feed this one.... I wonder, though, if Joel has hung in this far. Whether he has is a true burning question.

Hi bud.

The fact is, you're "the Man" here.

If my diversity is not your diversity you may choose to cut me loose.

Have I oppressed you with my opinion? Do my words threaten you? Hell, one of your members has even publicly wished death on me. I didn't see any reproach for that.

You chose to click my thread. You chose to be offended.

You may choose to take your boot off my neck here and let me be myself... Or you can put on your purple shirts and join the group think.

I choose individuality.

Peace out, bro.
burningquestions

Postby Kiro » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:53 am

burningquestions wrote:You chose to click my thread. You chose to be offended.

Kiro

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:01 am

maryanimal wrote:Brava nitevenus. That was eloquently stated. This year will be my first burn and I couldn't be more excited. I want to experience the diversity of the peoples, artistry, and live for one week in a city made for self-expression and new found friendships. I don't care how much you make or about the color of your skin, nor do I are about one-upmanship.

But show me friendship, creativity and how much fun I can have. Introduce me to the temple so I can place a memory of someone I love and lost.

But if you plan to show me dishonesty, fake empathy, or just plain stupidity, then don't approach me at all.

So with that said, I know my experience will be indescribable. Thank you TomServo for being able to show me Burning Man for the first time.

How am i to know to avoid you out there?
Fire_Moose

Postby Nitevenus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:14 am

Oh well, too bad......more assumptions and apparently above answering any questions. The Dare still stands.
Nitevenus

Postby maryanimal » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:17 pm

[quote="Fire_Moose"][quote="maryanimal"]Brava nitevenus. That was eloquently stated. This year will be my first burn and I couldn't be more excited. I want to experience the diversity of the peoples, artistry, and live for one week in a city made for self-expression and new found friendships. I don't care how much you make or about the color of your skin, nor do I are about one-upmanship.

So with that said, I know my experience will be indescribable. Thank you TomServo for being able to show me Burning Man for the first time.[/quote]

How am i to know to avoid you out there?[/quote][quote][/quote][quote][/quote]

That will be easy Fire_Moose...I'll be the one with the brown hair and brown eyes.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:19 pm

maryanimal wrote:That will be easy Fire_Moose...I'll be the one with the brown hair and brown eyes.

Whoa. That totally describes my boyfriend. Weird.

I didn't know the Moose swung that way....

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:52 pm

dude, moose is a chick.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:00 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:dude, moose is a chick.

I had no idea.

I think I love her.

(except for the me being gay part)

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby burningquestions » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:49 am

Nitevenus wrote:Okay Joel, you first approached this board seeming to be a young party dude just challenging the group so you can find your "Zen". I was nice enough to respond and suggest that you might find what you need in another nice desert area. BUT it didn't stop there..... and you continue to post. Thankfully not in some of the areas where there are genuine questions regarding on how one can make theirs a better experience.

BUT let's ask you this;

How do you feel about anal sex? Not generally but for you personally? Do you enjoy it? Or are you a homophobe?
burningquestions

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:57 am

Fire Moose is male.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Sham » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:09 am

C.f.M. wrote:Fire Moose is male.

Well that's a horse of a different color! Eric?
Sham

Postby velocirafter » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:15 am

burningquestions wrote:
How do you feel about anal sex? Not generally but for you personally? Do you enjoy it? Or are you a homophobe?

WTF!! do you want to try an offend his mother next????
velocirafter

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:22 am

Way to ruin it cum fairy muffin!

WHy don't you give them my bank info next!
Fire_Moose

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:36 am

Shambala wrote:

Apparently Fire_Moose is multigendered & thus would be a big hit at most of the parties I go to.

I love horsey rides......

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:41 am

Eric wrote:
Shambala wrote:

Apparently Fire_Moose is multigendered & thus would be a big hit at most of the parties I go to.

I love horsey rides......

Two in one!

Orifice pun intended!
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:58 am

Save it for the MnG chillins
Fire_Moose

Postby swampdog » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:59 am

These threads are much more pleasant with burningquestions set to "ignore". First time I've tried plonk, it works quite nicely.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:04 pm

swampdog wrote:These threads are much more pleasant with burningquestions set to "ignore". First time I've tried plonk, it works quite nicely.

Ain't that the truth? BQ says something to get the ball rolling, the fun kids take over from there, and we never have to see his completely banal words.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Clar-i-ty » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:07 pm

Eric wrote:
swampdog wrote:These threads are much more pleasant with burningquestions set to "ignore". First time I've tried plonk, it works quite nicely.

Ain't that the truth? BQ says something to get the ball rolling, the fun kids take over from there, and we never have to see his completely banal words.

It suddenly occured to me, that maybe we got it all wrong. Maybe he genuinely had a burning question.

If that's the case, go to the doctor and have it irrigated, then get a shot of penicillin, and be sure to always use condoms in the future.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby burningquestions » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 pm

Clar-i-ty wrote:
Eric wrote:

It suddenly occured to me, that maybe we got it all wrong. Maybe he genuinely had a burning question.
If that's the case, go to the doctor and have it irrigated, then get a shot of penicillin, and be sure to always use condoms in the future.

It burns when I pee.
burningquestions

Postby Theres Always One » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:55 pm

Theres Always One

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:05 am

Wow, do you know how hard it is to find a picture of popcorn eating a person?

Very. So here's a little fatty.

Fire_Moose

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy