The things you like most about burner culture

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby Sail Man » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:57 am

Eric wrote:
ygmir wrote:that my "betters" will see fit to talk, and even be friendly, to me.

I feel, at times there (and here), intellectually impotent.........
yet, out there, I can walk up to so many of the "mental giants" from here, and, they graciously visit, take time from their day, and, befriend me.

It's the giving, open, accepting nature, of the playa, I like most.


Yggy- this talk is not allowed. You, my friend, are fabulous, and the feeling of being "impotent" (lord I hate that word....) here is mutual. I always thought of myself as a third-stringer on eplaya, then I get to the MnG and discover people are excited that I was there.

Thats how I felt about meeting you.


Ygmir made you fabulously impotent? :shock: :lol:

Third-stringer my ass! And i count myself as one that was excited to meet you at the MnG, twas a pleasure sir :D
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.
_______________________________________

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
User avatar
Sail Man
 
Posts: 4515
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 am
Location: 20 Minutes into the Future
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:31 am

Sail Man wrote:
Eric wrote:
ygmir wrote:that my "betters" will see fit to talk, and even be friendly, to me.

I feel, at times there (and here), intellectually impotent.........
yet, out there, I can walk up to so many of the "mental giants" from here, and, they graciously visit, take time from their day, and, befriend me.

It's the giving, open, accepting nature, of the playa, I like most.


Yggy- this talk is not allowed. You, my friend, are fabulous, and the feeling of being "impotent" (lord I hate that word....) here is mutual. I always thought of myself as a third-stringer on eplaya, then I get to the MnG and discover people are excited that I was there.

Thats how I felt about meeting you.


Ygmir made you fabulously impotent? :shock: :lol:

Third-stringer my ass! And i count myself as one that was excited to meet you at the MnG, twas a pleasure sir :D


*kkkkkkkqqqskkkk*
The noise you just heard was a frustrated fish, grinding her teeth at the though of missing all three of you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40105
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby brushfire on the playa » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:35 am

i like that it's a big party in the desert but then so much more than that. you can describe some things about the playa to a non-burner, but i think they can only really understand the "party in the desert" part of the description. i like that once you go to burning man you, everything you thought it was going to be and everything you expected to take from it is completely trumped by what you find it ACTUALLY is.

i like the overwhelming feeling that you're home and hate/love the feeling after you leave that you have to come back as soon as possible.

i like planning burning man. i like leaving and immediately starting to think of how you can do next year better than before.

i like the way people are not judgmental like they are in the defalt world. i was 17 the year of my first burn, but i liked how i never felt like anyone treated my like a "child." i could associate with people of all ages and never feel judged and never felt like i was judging. age, race, culture, etc means nothing there and i love that.

i love the art. i love how expansive everything feels on the playa. i love the art that is interactive, the stuff you can climb. i love the endless nights and infinite days. i love not knowing what time is is for an entire week. it could be 11am or 4pm, i would believe any time you told me.

i somehow love the duststorms. they suck while you're in them and can't get out. but after leaving the playa, i find myself craving to be mindlessly lost in can't-see-your-hand-a-foot-in-front-of-your-face dust storm, but still trying to find where that beat is coming from so you can dance your way through the dust.
i'm on the playa, bitch!

bigger and better next year, every year...
User avatar
brushfire on the playa
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:29 am
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Miso Horny

Postby Elorrum » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm

brushfire on the playa wrote:i like planning burning man.


I thought that said, "I like playing burning man." I do like playing burning man. I and a friend's grandson set up a tent a few weeks ago while all the grownups were preparing for a big party that evening. I was lying in the grass dozing, listening to amazing stories all day.
Image
User avatar
Elorrum
 
Posts: 5143
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Laughing Forest wrote:

That some of the bigger un-medicated cranks that post here don't actually end up coming after all of their year long lip flapping.


I wish the mods could/would post that statement somewhere prominently for all newbies to ePlaya to read. I know too many Burners who avoid this place like the plague, which is too bad because there are a lot of fresh ideas out there we are missing on ePlaya and a helluva lot of good advice and tips the newbs may be missing. Oh well, thick skin may be as essential here as a good shade structure is on the playa
Teo del Fuego
 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:31 am
Location: Denver
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby bluesbob » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:43 am

The thing I like best about Burner culture is the cream filling.
bluesbob
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: Fullerton, CA.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:52 am

Ah, we're all cream puffs...

I dare you to tell Simon he's a cream puff.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40105
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:11 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Ah, we're all cream puffs...

I dare you to tell Simon he's a cream puff.


LOL. Actually he is a cream puff--if you are meaning that in the nicest sort of way. I made a point of looking him up on the playa the year before last, and contrary to how some of his posts sound, he's really a nice guy!

(don't tell him I said that!)

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 13288
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Palm Springs
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:17 pm

ygmir wrote:that my "betters" will see fit to talk, and even be friendly, to me.

I feel, at times there (and here), intellectually impotent.........
yet, out there, I can walk up to so many of the "mental giants" from here, and, they graciously visit, take time from their day, and, befriend me.

It's the giving, open, accepting nature, of the playa, I like most.


I wonder why all the "mental giants" feel that way?

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 13288
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Palm Springs
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby gaminwench » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:37 pm

they're smart enough to know that they don't know everything?
User avatar
gaminwench
 
Posts: 2301
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:57 am
Location: Shangri-la
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:00 pm

jkisha wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Ah, we're all cream puffs...

I dare you to tell Simon he's a cream puff.


LOL. Actually he is a cream puff--if you are meaning that in the nicest sort of way.


I don't know that I'd call him a cream-puff (which, oddly enough, is the name of a magazine I worked for in the 90's), but I would call him hysterically funny. I wish I could remember half of what we were going on about at Decompression, but the "magic" kicked in & I seem to be missing parts of my night.

gaminwench wrote:they're smart enough to know that they don't know everything?


I get irritated when people come over & look at the piles & shelves of books we have then ask how many we've read. A good library in my eyes is a collection of knowledge you don't already have so you can research it if you need or want to. Maybe an "anti-library". I will buy books as long as my finances & space allow.

Anyone who thinks they know everything or thinks they are always right are pretty much guarenteed to be wrong. If you can't accept & process new information your brain is outdated to begin with.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8743
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby gyre » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:26 pm

I like Name of the Rose for the library.

Now I wonder if some people watch it for other reasons?
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:14 pm

Eric wrote:[cream-puff (which, oddly enough, is the name of a magazine I worked for in the 90's)

I have a sudden interest in knowing more about this magazine.

gaminwench wrote:they're smart enough to know that they don't know everything?

Eric wrote:I get irritated when people come over & look at the piles & shelves of books we have then ask how many we've read.

I used to spend a lot of time looking at peoples books and try and figure out who they were by that.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40105
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:33 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Eric wrote:[cream-puff (which, oddly enough, is the name of a magazine I worked for in the 90's)

I have a sudden interest in knowing more about this magazine.


It was a gay rag in SF during the late 90's, and the publisher also ran a highly successful small club called "Sugar" at the Stud. I was the staff photographer for Creampuff and the host & photographer at "Sugar" for 7 years.

TMI?
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8743
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Eric wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Eric wrote:[cream-puff (which, oddly enough, is the name of a magazine I worked for in the 90's)

I have a sudden interest in knowing more about this magazine.


It was a gay rag in SF during the late 90's, and the publisher also ran a highly successful small club called "Sugar" at the Stud. I was the staff photographer for Creampuff and the host & photographer at "Sugar" for 7 years.

TMI?

No, not really. Makes me a little nostalgic and I wonder if you ever crossed paths with Scott.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40105
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:30 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Eric wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Eric wrote:[cream-puff (which, oddly enough, is the name of a magazine I worked for in the 90's)

I have a sudden interest in knowing more about this magazine.


It was a gay rag in SF during the late 90's, and the publisher also ran a highly successful small club called "Sugar" at the Stud. I was the staff photographer for Creampuff and the host & photographer at "Sugar" for 7 years.

TMI?

No, not really. Makes me a little nostalgic and I wonder if you ever crossed paths with Scott.


If he went to TrannyShack or Sugar it's almost a guarantee that I crossed paths with him- I was the Studs photographer as well so I was at almost every TrannyShack for it's first decade.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8743
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:35 pm

I don't really know. And I guess I don't want to have this conversation over hte net, even though I'm the one who instigated it.

I'm feeling particularly beaten up by the world lately.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40105
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby knowmad » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:50 am

Culture jamming.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:10 pm

knowmad wrote:Culture jamming.



+10!
I'd rather Burn on my Feet, than Rave on my knees

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 16150
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Another thing i really like about the burner culture are raves. man i never went to a rave before I got into burning man and they have really taught me a lot.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
User avatar
Fire_Moose
 
Posts: 2486
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Postby moonstonerick » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:55 pm

[quote="geekster"]I like how there are so many different cultures co-existing out there without attempting to enforce their culture beyond their borders. Hushville has no generators, but they don't go around bitching at other camps/villages for having them, for example. You may express whatever culture you like within the confines of your camp but have no right to enforce your culture on someone else. I wished people here behaved that way.[/quote]

Wow wouldn't it be intresting if the default world worked like that.
moonstonerick
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:27 am
Location: toronto, canada

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:44 am

I think truly m favorite thing about burning man culture, is that unlike in the default world, where out differences are hinderances, it is a community that welcomes, thrives, and exists because of all the variety in the individuals who make up its community.
User avatar
MyPlayaUserName
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:39 am
Location: Kauai, Hawaii, USA
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Ass Stamp Camp

Postby graidawg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:52 am

I haven't been to TTITD yet but this thread here is showing me what i already love about burner culture - people like SotP showing there vitriolic snark is just for show (mostly) people like eric and ygmir all showing love to everybody else in the most humble way possible.
I Can Not Wait to find my home in the desert.




as long as the f*king wizards dont buy all the tickets first



208 days
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 3123
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby TomServo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:40 am

graidawg wrote:I haven't been to TTITD yet but this thread here is showing me what i already love about burner culture - people like SotP showing there vitriolic snark is just for show (mostly) people like eric and ygmir all showing love to everybody else in the most humble way possible.
I Can Not Wait to find my home in the desert.




as long as the f*king wizards dont buy all the tickets first



208 days


just say fucking! it doesn't hurt!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6153
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby graidawg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:52 am

[quote="TomServo"][quote="graidawg"]I haven't been to TTITD yet but this thread here is showing me what i already love about burner culture - people like SotP showing there vitriolic snark is just for show (mostly) people like eric and ygmir all showing love to everybody else in the most humble way possible.
I Can Not Wait to find my home in the desert.




as long as the f*king wizards dont buy all the tickets first



208 days[/quote]

just say fucking! it doesn't hurt![/quote]

My parents taught me not to swear in front of children and l;adies so fuck you i'm not going to swear so ner!
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 3123
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:09 am

graidawg wrote:My parents taught me not to swear in front of children and ladies so fuck you i'm not going to swear so ner!


Ah geez Graidawg I thought you WERE a lady! :shock:

Guess I got that wrong, huh?

*swishes her skirt, sits down and folds her hands together*

I like my lady-bits but being lady-like kinda blows.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
User avatar
MyDearFriend
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Location: Washington, DC
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby magic8ball » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:44 pm

I am told gender and sexual preference is not so import as being fun and happy.
This seem good, and if true, will be my favorite.
ALL KNOWING, ALL SEEING
Cousin of Horace
magic8ball
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:39 am
Location: World Citizen Romania

Postby graidawg » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:34 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
graidawg wrote:My parents taught me not to swear in front of children and ladies so fuck you i'm not going to swear so ner!


Ah geez Graidawg I thought you WERE a lady! :shock:

Guess I got that wrong, huh?

*swishes her skirt, sits down and folds her hands together*

I like my lady-bits but being lady-like kinda blows.


I LIKEE ladies that arent lady like but still blow. . . . .
*swishes HIS skirt, sits down and folds his hands togehter*
I like my man bits but like lady bits too :D
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 3123
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:39 am

graidawg wrote: I LIKEE ladies that arent lady like but still blow. . . . .
*swishes HIS skirt, sits down and folds his hands togehter*
I like my man bits but like lady bits too :D


Careful, dude, I might be old enough to be your mother! :shock:


I do find (to get back on topic) that whole manly-bits-in-a-skirt thing to be one of the things I like most about burner culture. 8) Seems like that would be handy for another activity I read about: sunrise blowjobs out at the trash fence. Or has that tradition been abandoned since the BLM got night-vision goggles? Too bad if so :x although, since My Dear Husband has elected to stay home, it's probably a moot point for me, anyway. :roll:

Graidawg, if you get all the way to BRC from Over There, I will at least offer you a bacon sandwich. The bread and the bacon will not be what you're used to but there will be real HP sauce. How's that? :lol:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
User avatar
MyDearFriend
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Location: Washington, DC
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:28 pm

I like the unmedicated cranks most of all.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16525
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests