hostility

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby Here and there » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:22 am

littleflower wrote:
Here and there wrote:
"One strike and you're out."

If I see somebody being an asshole to anybody, anywhere, he's off my screen, permanently. Is he an incredible artist, somebody with a million great stories, a rich storehouse of information, something like that? I don't care. I'll get by without those stories, or information, or art, and if I can't, so what? What's Burning Man good for, if it stops being fun?

you'll have lots of fun around here when you can only see your own posts ...

Really? That's how you see the board? As being entirely populated by assholes who can only stay in character, pretending to be real human beings, for so long? I'm guessing that you're wrong, but if not, then yes, I'll certainly be happier looking at a blank screen than at the ramblings of people like that. Who wouldn't be?

Aside from people like that, of course.

littleflower wrote:please, please, please plonk me! after seeing your posts tonight, i would consider it an honor.

Oh, when you ask so nicely, how can I say no ... :roll:

But really, you're just making my point for me so well, that I'm losing any doubts I might have had. Watching you attack DVD on the flimsy pretext you did, a short while ago, my first thought was "this is gratuitous, so plonk her", but I held off, wondering if I was being too hasty. Obviously, I was not, and that's why the rule makes sense.

Being the way you're being right now isn't something that people just stumble into, it's basically who somebody like you is and always will be, because such people don't have the potential to be anything else.
Here and there

Postby Here and there » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:30 am

Here and there wrote:
littleflower wrote:please, please, please plonk me! after seeing your posts tonight, i would consider it an honor.

I almost forgot to ask ... would it be too much to ask you to return the favor, and plonk me back? Please, it would mean a lot to me.
Here and there

Postby littleflower » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:18 am

Here and there wrote:
Here and there wrote:

I almost forgot to ask ... would it be too much to ask you to return the favor, and plonk me back? Please, it would mean a lot to me.

no. i don't plonk anyone unless they really, really, really annoy me... right now, that is no one ...

besides, i find you rather amusing.

this board wasn't born the day you arrived, you know ....
littleflower

Postby Deb Prothero » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:07 am

Hate to walk into the middle of a real good row but...oh never mind.

I haven't met you face-to-face Here and There but I have met Littleflower and I'm a bit astonished at the tone here. She's named Littleflower for good reason - it suits her physical appearance as well as her demeanor.

Maybe what we say to each other here doesn't translate for you. Most of us have met each other face-to-face over several burns. When we read what someone writes, we can hear the cadence and intonation of their voice in the message.

Some of the jokes and jabs are long standing. Some of the word play is just to keep things interesting. Some of the personality conflicts are long standing too. For the most part the eplaya works as a community to keep us in touch until we meet again on the playa.

For weeks and months leading up to the burn we all bend over backwards to greet newcomers and deal with hundreds of questions. Come this time of year, there's a little bit of decompression going on. Maybe it looks like hostility but I think it's all of us just getting back to our routines and wishing we were back on the playa. Somebody might have been a bit on edge, you might say.

Whatever it was that set you off, I hope you can see it in a new light. I don't see near the hostility here as I do on Tribe. I have seen and felt the full bore effect of online hostility this year and all of that took place on Tribe. While here people showed support, warmth and caring (or they just ignored me) which was much better than what happened on Tribe.

If you really don't like it here maybe you should give Tribe a shot. It's a community of burners too just a little different from this one. When you see the level of hostility and off hand comment over there, I believe you may return here rather quickly.

Oh and plonking - I'm taking a guess at what that means 'cause I've never heard the word used before but it seems to suggest that you ignore or block a person's comments. If I'm correct in that assumption, it sounds like emotionally immature behaviour for an adult. But if someone's really toxic for you, I suppose it might be self preservation of a sort.

Just my two cents on the whole hostility thing.
Deb Prothero

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:16 am

Yeah -

What Deb Said! Here and there, if the eplaya is so annoying to you, why do you bother reading?

The solution is simple, dont read a thread that annoys you, or move on.

I thought that was a pretty well and widely understood principle.
just my 2 cents.

later
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby AntiM » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:48 am

Deb, plonking is indeed using the ignore function. I plonked one person before I was tapped to moderate; now I must read every post on the board. I took a short break from one guy who made every interaction a challenge and a confrontation, years ago. Too much drama to be worthwhile.

I may be one of the aforementioned plonkees, but I'm still getting responses. You can read the posts of a plonked person if you care to do so.

I too met Littleflower this year. She is a sweetheart!
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby littleflower » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:06 pm

** blushing ** you are sweethearts, too .... i am so glad to know you ...

what set me off was something here and there posted about ygmir ... if you haven't seen it, don't bother. it's not pretty...

it was like some guy walked into an old and friendly club and immediately started insulting longtime members ... on top of insulting an overworked, underpaid, and very much loved hostess ....

but we are a forgiving bunch, as well....
littleflower

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:29 pm

It smells like mousey to me, regardless.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby gyre » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:35 pm

littleflower wrote:** blushing ** you are sweethearts, too .... i am so glad to know you ...

what set me off was something here and there posted about ygmir ... if you haven't seen it, don't bother. it's not pretty...

it was like some guy walked into an old and friendly club and immediately started insulting longtime members ... on top of insulting an overworked, underpaid, and very much loved hostess ....

but we are a forgiving bunch, as well....

It was probably in response to this.

ygmir wrote:Image
gyre

Postby ibdave » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:46 pm

~~~~snickering~~~~

just in case you can't see the tilde sign, I had 4 in front and 4 on the end of my "snickering"

Wonder's if anyone is reading this, cuz of all the plonking going on...

Maybe I'll got to the hot-tub and Plonk myself... :shock: :roll: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:53 pm

I wonder what it would mean if Jkisha were to plonk you ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ibdave » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:57 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:I wonder what it would mean if Jkisha were to plonk you ?

Ask Ygmir, He's got an old pearl necklace to show off... :? :? :?
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby ygmir » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:50 am

ibdave wrote:

oh IBDAve.....you're such a card.......

I'll deal with you later.......chuckle....groan.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:26 am

ygmir wrote:
ibdave wrote:

oh IBDAve.....you're such a card.......

I'll deal with you later.......chuckle....groan.........

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy