hostility

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

hostility

Postby trenton » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Enough folks , a couple of threads here have gotten some people very upset. I can no longer PM a couple because they removed their contact. If you cant act like adults and respect other peoples feelings BEAT IT. Good maners have not gone out of style. I bet you would not talk to someone like that face to face. 40k people can have a great time on the playa however on line they are mean to each other, This is America folks respect views other than your own and that goes for both sides, If you dont like it vote or leave. You know who you are and you should do the right thing...... TALK without predujice (spelling once again) Good luck guys and dolls
trenton

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:45 pm

Having met a lot of the people here face to face, I think they WOULD talk like that...face to face.

Go twitter how rude this board is, maybe then you will find some folks that care about your ethics.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby trenton » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:57 pm

I know, however I like to see the good in people, maybee it's my weakness.
trenton

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:00 pm

People having honest opinions that they believe and stand up for is usually a good thing.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby trenton » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:11 pm

Yes I concure.
trenton

Postby Isotopia » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:17 pm

Go twitter how rude this board is, maybe then you will find some folks that care about your ethics.

Oh, SNAP!!!
Isotopia

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:22 pm

So, I'm guessing here, the playa lung one. I forget what the one in the Open Discussion is. And that doesn't include the ones I wont even read, because they are too contentious.

The thing that you don't see is, well not the love, but the affection that us long timers have for each other. And we can come down hard on the newbs, not always justly, and we also can give them a lot of rope to hang themselves first.

Think of it as a bunch of baby wolves really, pouncing, playing, biting, rolling, growling--and at teh end of the day sleeping in a nice big warm pile of wolf pups.

Now, does anyone know what those Afganistan wool hats mad from the skin of aborted lambs are called?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trenton » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:30 pm

When I was a kid , and argued with my sibs my parents made us face each other and tell one-another how much we loved them. Which was worse than the arguement. Point being dont take it too far or get rude because you dont see eye to eye (leave that alone one eye )
trenton

Postby gyre » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:35 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:So, I'm guessing here, the playa lung one. I forget what the one in the Open Discussion is. And that doesn't include the ones I wont even read, because they are too contentious.

The thing that you don't see is, well not the love, but the affection that us long timers have for each other. And we can come down hard on the newbs, not always justly, and we also can give them a lot of rope to hang themselves first.

Think of it as a bunch of baby wolves really, pouncing, playing, biting, rolling, growling--and at teh end of the day sleeping in a nice big warm pile of wolf pups.

Now, does anyone know what those Afganistan wool hats mad from the skin of aborted lambs are called?

Hats?

Okay, maybe karakul then.
gyre

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:45 pm

i believe the OP is referring to me...

i disallowed contact....Why?

because i dont want to be your buddy, buddy...

that should be good enough...

hardly a reason to start a thread, but hey, whatever...
I'd rather Burn on my Feet, than Rave on my knees

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:00 pm

Yeah, well...

Some of us, and I include myself in this number, need to have a "core" of safety to come back to, before we can go out and be "ourselves" in public. Think of it as a (damn, I'm just little Miss Metaphor today) foundation of a tower. And think of the unwanted person as a rat chewing away at it. Only, more neutral. It may simply an off-limits area.

People are people. They have needs. They have to take care of their own needs before they can tend to another's. Respect that core that they operate from and don't try and get in there without an invitation. Invasion of privacy.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby trenton » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:36 pm

I was sticking up for you Simon. But point taken Buddy. This will be my last post on E-Playa . I'm going to watch FOX News .
trenton

Postby AKAparttime » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:47 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:So, I'm guessing here, the playa lung one. I forget what the one in the Open Discussion is. And that doesn't include the ones I wont even read, because they are too contentious.

That would be the Pakol: A traditional adjustable beret tipe hat that is
worn by men in afghanistan and part's of pakistan.
AKAparttime

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: some times Outpost Tokyo

Postby ygmir » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:53 pm

fourex (sp?)...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Re: hostility

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:51 pm

trenton wrote:Enough folks , a couple of threads here have gotten some people very upset. I can no longer PM a couple because they removed their contact. If you cant act like adults and respect other peoples feelings BEAT IT. Good maners have not gone out of style. I bet you would not talk to someone like that face to face. 40k people can have a great time on the playa however on line they are mean to each other, This is America folks respect views other than your own and that goes for both sides, If you dont like it vote or leave. You know who you are and you should do the right thing...... TALK without predujice (spelling once again) Good luck guys and dolls

Trenton - apparently you have not been on Eplaya to know that the snark and banter and wit is the fuel that drives it. This is not a message exchange board, or simply a sounding board. People here talk shit to each other all the time, some pretty nasty shit as well.

The good part is that - you can stop reading any time. Its moderated to prevent libel, and TOS violations but thats about it, oh, and no commerce either.

So my advice is to get bent.
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Postby Isotopia » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:02 pm

Now, does anyone know what those Afganistan wool hats made from the skin of aborted lambs are called?

Warm?
Isotopia

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:36 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOxOR3x8FBQ[/youtube]
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:45 am

Isotopia wrote:
Now, does anyone know what those Afganistan wool hats made from the skin of aborted lambs are called?

Warm?

The product of my new job?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:50 am

gyros.

and they're not hats.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:13 am

I think the point goes to Robberto.

Did I do too many bs and not enough ts there?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:28 am

C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:29 am

dammit that's the second time today. the internet gods are sending me a message to keep my snark to myself.
C.f.M.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:04 am

This is an online mosh-pit.

Think of the desert. It's not a friendly environment. When something nice comes along, whether it's an oasis with shade and sweet water, or a kind word from a stranger, it's best to appreciate it and not cast it away.
Ugly Dougly

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:06 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:This is an online mosh-pit.

So does this mean that we can all mosh clockwise, after all this is Eplaya, ya' know ?
oneeyeddick

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:21 am

As long as you don't do it at a Fugazi show.
C.f.M.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:20 pm

Speaking of clockwise, when the man burned, everyone seemed to have a tendency to dance counter-clockwise or widdershins around the man?
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:24 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Speaking of clockwise, when the man burned, everyone seemed to have a tendency to dance counter-clockwise or widdershins around the man?

That was true in the era before we all got digital clocks. Now we dance around the man backwards.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Boijoy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:56 pm

This is a lame topic. The only reason I looked in was because Fishy posted.
I have no time for " wamby pamby mommas boys ( or girls )" not here OR especially on the playa.. waaaaaaaaa !! :roll:
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby gyre » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:08 pm

From The Art of Persuasion

Biting

Biting is a last ditch effort. You use this tactic when the other person has been given every opportunity to conform to your opinion and still refuses. It is normally best to go for an important artery or organ. The jugular vein is recommended, as it is located roughly at mouth height.

* You: "I'm right."
* Opponent: "I don't agree. In my opinion, yo--"
gyre

Postby decoverite » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:24 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:

Persian lamb is usually what lambortions are called in the fashion world. I have a gorgeous vintage coat made of it - it's fun to watch people's reactions when I tell them what it's made of.
Covered in Lint!
decoverite

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy