vehicle cavity search???

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

vehicle cavity search???

Postby kelliy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:00 pm

what does this mean exactly and what should i expect???
kelliy in pcb,fl
kelliy

no problems

Postby dj big E » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:37 pm

a light walk through for the most part just looking for stowaways and donkeys lmao.search conducted by citizens of the brc.A great place to start your gifting i prefer beer .Anyways volunteer for a shift and you to can search cars. lmao all the way to the playa.
dj big E

Postby Dork » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:32 pm

Just be prepared to open your trunk and expose any other large, fully covered areas inside your vehicle. Opening trunks can be difficult when people mount a bike rack to it then duct tape 5 bikes and 200 PVC pipes to it.

Also, don't hide any stowaways or WMDs, cause they will be found and confiscated for the amusement of the gate staff.
Dork

Postby Chai Guy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:06 pm

I'm still waiting for that body cavity search I was promised last year... I mean umm.... oh, nevermind.
Chai Guy

Postby KellY » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:11 pm

Try asking at Jiffy Lube.
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes
KellY

Postby Icepack » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:11 pm

Dork wrote:Just be prepared to open your trunk and expose any other large, fully covered areas inside your vehicle. Opening trunks can be difficult when people mount a bike rack to it then duct tape 5 bikes and 200 PVC pipes to it.

Also, don't hide any stowaways or WMDs, cause they will be found and confiscated for the amusement of the gate staff.

IF you do have a bike rack on your trunk, with 5 bikes duct taped to it, I doubt you'd be hiding living bodies in it. At least not if you had out of state plates.

When we arrived we were so packed in, I didn't have room to put my legs on the floor, and I was holding things in my lap. My driver barely had enough room to drive the car on his side. In fact, the reason why he was driving the final stretch was so that we could pack more stuff in on the passenger side that way. No way were we packing extra bodies or WMDs, but we still got a pretty good look over anyway.

And yes, we stopped in Empire for cold beer for the gate people.
Icepack

Postby kelliy » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:57 am

i apriciate yall for the come backs. this is my first year and i cant wait. i have already started to get supplies gathered. i do want to volunteer for a shift as well as do my friends. i will look into that. what do yall mean by gifts of beer at the gate. can we bring gifts for any workers or tell me the usual routine.
kelliy from pcb,fl
kelliy

Postby robotland » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:07 am

On the flipside, we startled our greeter by referring to the person sitting in the back seat of our car that had gone unnoticed.......
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Gifts

Postby Icepack » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:31 am

kelliy wrote:i apriciate yall for the come backs. this is my first year and i cant wait. i have already started to get supplies gathered. i do want to volunteer for a shift as well as do my friends. i will look into that. what do yall mean by gifts of beer at the gate. can we bring gifts for any workers or tell me the usual routine.
kelliy from pcb,fl

You can give gifts to anyone you like! Lots of people make or buy things and give them away. Sometimes you will hear this referred to as "swag". I'll leave it to others to explain. Since you can't pay people for their services, it's nice to be able to give gifts.

There is a Post office at Burning Man that will actually get your mail into the real mail system and have it delivered with a special Black Rock City Post Mark. We gave the postal workers, who seem to take pride in being extra disgruntled, a bottle of whiskey or something like that, to get our 30-40 pieces of mail into the mailbox and the mail arrived at it's destinations before we even got home from Burning Man. I thought that was great.
Icepack

awsome

Postby kelliy » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:41 am

so who funds the stamps for mail? i have began to make things for gift and trade...is trade big? :roll:
kelliy

Postby III » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:30 pm

you should also note thet there are two groups of people you talk to on your way into black rock - the gate staff is there to make sure that everyone who goes in has a ticket, the greeters are there to give you whatever information you might need.

for the gifts, i'd suggest ignoring both of those groups (since they're both pretty high profile) and instead save your good stuff for the rangers and the dpw.
III

Re: awsome

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:36 pm

kelliy wrote:so who funds the stamps for mail?

Bring your own to the playa. They'd have to be a "real" post office to sell them to you. I suppose you could always gift stamps. Or set up "Collage Post Card Theme Camp" if you were truly ambitious.
BlueBirdPoof

Postby unjonharley » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:42 pm

Careful around dem dar rangers They be'en a willy bunch. Just like the bear in yelllow stone. If you feed one the rest will want your first born.
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

la lal la

Postby kelliy » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:09 pm

[size=24][/size]
cool yall :o
kelliy

Postby Chai Guy » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:19 pm

Speaking of Rangers and gifts, I've noticed (especially last year and the year before) that they seem a little reluctant to accept gifts as in previous years. Has there been some kind of admonishment given or something? At first I thought they were just staying away from my Chai because they didn't like Chai or because they thought that it maybe had some "secret" ingredients (it dosen't). But then I noticed that they wouldn't even take my stickers! Just wondering.
Chai Guy

Postby KellY » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:25 pm

Some people at the entrances, both the gate and Greeters, can be quite agressive asking for "gifts" - a sad thing when nice gestures start being viewed as expected rights. Most folks are better than that, but you might run into one. If so, I recommend a big "Fuck off" in their general direction. On the other hand, they do spend hours hanging out missing the main event in the name of public service, so a little something out of genuine gratitude is not out of order.

If someone from DPW demands your beer, on the other hand just give it to us. I mean them. Give it to them, especially if them is a tall lanky guy with a filthy tanktop saying "Fence", dusty braids, and a zebra-striped cowboy hat.
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes
KellY

Postby III » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:58 pm

>>gifts

rangers are proscribed from accepting anything which might contains substances which would affect their ability to perform their duties. this includes brewed or mixed beverages, sodas, food, and even being squirted with water.

they make a big deal of it in training, so some rangers react very strongly, especially to drive by squirtings.squirting them can be a fun way to freak em out. then you get to lecture them onn not being so uptight.

i have to admit, back when i did it, that i was pretty lax about it. i figured that asking first would weed out all the well intentioned but clueless, and raising the trust thing would work on a good percentage of practical jokers, and if something did happen, i'm experienced enough to recognize what was happening, and radio in to be relieved, as well as identifying the mischief maker. completely against policy, and i'll probably never be invited to ever be a ranger again.
III

stamps man

Postby dj big E » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:41 am

i suggest bringing you're own stamps myself but not do drift to much,did anyone see or recieve any of the "underground" burning man stamps heard of someone that recieved one as well as mailed it to someone and it got theyre anyone else here this because i want one better than waxing lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dj big E

Postby TheJudge » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:12 pm

KellY wrote:Some people at the entrances, both the gate and Greeters, can be quite agressive asking for "gifts"

If that ever happens again, ask to speak with the shift lead. Gate staff are specifically instructed not to panhandle for gifts.

-Judge
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Return to Politics & Philosophy