Secret Bacon Code

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Secret Bacon Code

Postby lordgrizz » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:52 pm

Ok, I've been wondering about this for a couple of years now. Whats the deal with bacon? It seams like there is this secret underground bacon society/cult thing with burners.
Now don't get me wrong I loves me some bacon; but burners (moldy-oldies?) seem to have an appreciation for swine that is on a whole other level.
Can anyone shed some light on this weirdness? Do I need to know the secret handshake? Am I imagining all of this?
Bullshit makes the flowers grow, and that's beautiful.
lordgrizz

Postby Elderberry » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:58 pm

You just had to ask.

JK

Actually, I'm glad somebody finally did. I've been wondering myself, but just didn't want to let anybody know I didn't know! LOL
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:01 pm

Have you been to the playa for a week or two? If not, words would be useless. If so, they are not needed...

...the fixation on PBR is another matter!
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:03 pm

Everything you said is just how it is.

Have you not heard of the unified thoery of bacon and caramel ?

Have you even tried chocolate covered bacon yet ?

Bacon is infamous for being extra delicious when camping in the great outdoors ,
no matter where you are, and BRC is certainly no exception to the rule.

I brought 19 lbs of it last year and will prob bring more this year.

And no, sausage cannot be the new bacon, unless it is of course wrapped up in bacon !!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby lordgrizz » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:13 pm

I understand the appeal of bacon on the playa, hell there is little in this wacky world better than crispy pig strips.
What I'm not get getting is pervasiveness of bacon in conversation both here in the ether and out there in the dust. It boggles my mind; witch in its self is not a bad thing.
I am a curious monkey.
lordgrizz

Postby lordgrizz » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:14 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:And no, sausage cannot be the new bacon, unless it is of course wrapped up in bacon !!

MMMMM, bacon wrapped sausage....
lordgrizz

Postby ibdave » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:55 pm

lordgrizz wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:And no, sausage cannot be the new bacon, unless it is of course wrapped up in bacon !!

LG, There's hope for you with that last comment..... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:08 pm

Excuse me, but the "Baycky Code" is a venerable tradition. If you "bacon left" you prefer to cook it; on the right you prefer to eat it. There are various colors that signify the amount of crisp required and what it wraps. Believe me, this code keeps conversation to a minimum and allows us to do the most important thing, eat bacon.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby penguin » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:09 pm

ibdave wrote:
lordgrizz wrote:

LG, There's hope for you with that last comment..... 8) 8) 8)

Sausage? Pffft! BACON WRAPPED BACON!
http://www.playafire.com <- my BM resource links - got any I can add?
penguin

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Sham » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:38 pm

PBR is for sissies! Here's my drink of choice on the playa!
Sham

Postby lordgrizz » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:05 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Excuse me, but the "Baycky Code" is a venerable tradition. If you "bacon left" you prefer to cook it; on the right you prefer to eat it. There are various colors that signify the amount of crisp required and what it wraps. Believe me, this code keeps conversation to a minimum and allows us to do the most important thing, eat bacon.

I had no idea.

I actually prefer to both cook then eat bacon. I also enjoy watching others cook bacon. Sometimes I like to invite others to eat bacon I have cooked. Where does this place me in the hierarchy?
lordgrizz

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:47 am

lordgrizz wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Excuse me, but the "Baycky Code" is a venerable tradition. If you "bacon left" you prefer to cook it; on the right you prefer to eat it. There are various colors that signify the amount of crisp required and what it wraps. Believe me, this code keeps conversation to a minimum and allows us to do the most important thing, eat bacon.

I had no idea.

I actually prefer to both cook then eat bacon. I also enjoy watching others cook bacon. Sometimes I like to invite others to eat bacon I have cooked. Where does this place me in the hierarchy?

...next to me....? :D
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby ibdave » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:17 am

lordgrizz wrote:

I had no idea.

LG, you have been re-named "GRASSHOPPER" you must now embark on the adventure of discovering the wonders of speaking and POSTING of BACON. Until you can snatch a fly in flight with 2 pieces of cooked bacon, you shall be known as GRASSHOPPER. At which point dragonfly Jafe shall allow you to go back to your eplaya name.

Go Grasshopper, leave us and do your research and post your finding. Earn your bacon strips, for when you earn your bacon strips, you shall be recognized in the streets of the City and be catered to the wonders of camp cooked bacon.... Go O hairy one... Go....... 8) 8) 8)

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:47 am

dont let these people tell you lies.

bacon is a key ingredient in "wolf - bagging" a major underground cult that dominates in some parts of BRC.

it's not really kosher, though, hence the even MORE stigmatization of this trend in Long Island.

1. wolf bagging

Whilst having sex with a woman (doggystyle), a small peice of bacon is tied to a string and swallowed by the girl, then just as the man ejaculates he pulls the string and the bacon comes out of the womans mouth making her gag and tense up increasing pleasure for the man.
man: oh yeah! oh (pulls string)
Woman: choke, gag! tense
man: wow!
"la ayuda del kool es bueno"

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Sail Man » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:28 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CErapf79rqM[/youtube]
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:35 am

The trivia game Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is based on the concept of the small world phenomenon and rests on the assumption that any actor can be linked through his or her film roles to actor Kevin Bacon.

The game requires a group of players to try to connect any film actor in history to Kevin Bacon as quickly as possible and in as few links as possible. In 2007, Bacon started a charitable organization named SixDegrees.org. The fantasy author-editor Richard Gilliam devised his Movie Links online game in 1990, and it was played extensively on GEnie four years before the quite similar Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game was promoted in 1994. Gilliam's game was much more difficult in that a player was required to find the shortest number of movies linking actors as diverse as, say, Gloria Swanson and Chris Farley, rather than continual links to the same specific actor.

Help yourself.
Ugly Dougly

Postby pandasex » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:40 am

[quote="Simon of the Playa"]dont let these people tell you lies.

bacon is a key ingredient in "wolf - bagging" a major underground cult that dominates in some parts of BRC.

it's not really kosher, though, hence the even MORE stigmatization of this trend in Long Island.

1. wolf bagging

Whilst having sex with a woman (doggystyle), a small peice of bacon is tied to a string and swallowed by the girl, then just as the man ejaculates he pulls the string and the bacon comes out of the womans mouth making her gag and tense up increasing pleasure for the man.
man: oh yeah! oh (pulls string)
Woman: choke, gag! tense
man: wow![/quote]

I get the whole gagging and reflex thing feeling good to a guy but couldnt it be anything tied to a string ??
I have post playa depression :(
pandasex

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:19 pm

absolutely not.

let me tell you a true story, so deep in it's transcendence that to this day, it still makes me wonder about human nature, religion, taboo, and Bacon.

My father had a couple of business partners, lets call them Freddy and Norris.

They had both come from hungary, went thru the camps together (birkenau) and made it to america when they were 14 and 15 yrs old. They had both lost their entire families, norris lost his foot to gangrene, and a guard with a hatchet, who actually, probably saved his life by chopping off the diseased half before it spread.

i saw the tattoos hundreds of times.

They were both, or so it seemed, very pious, religious Jews, who would'nt even ride in a volkswagen, it upset them so much.

right before freddy died, he confessed a secret to my father. A secret he had been keeping for many years, and was now tearing at his soul with guilt.

You see, Freddy was a secret bacon eater...A porker...A Ham-ster...

he would sneak out, and go to deli's where he would'nt know anyone, and in his moment of sin, savor the succulent, juicy flesh, that is pig.

it had been a huge burden that he had carried, and he needed to tell someone who would understand, as he knew my father did not keep kosher, and had long since given into temptation.

My father said he had tears in his eyes as he explained just how delicious it was, and why would god punish him for such a small dalliance, he had been a good man, and lived a good, pious life, except for the honey-glazed, of course.

He then told him that Norris must never know....NEVER....it would break his heart, and he did'nt want his wife or daughters or grandchildren to know, because it would taint his memory, his legacy...."God forbid, i should be known as a Ham Eater!"

even though he loved it so.

My father told freddy his secret was safe, and that god would'nt mind so much, had'nt he survived, and made a life for him and his family? So what's a little Bacon amongst Friends?

Freddy died, but maybe with a little less anxiety, because he was told, right when he needed to be told, that Bacon is Ambrosia, and should not be denied to the flesh, as it is simply human to crave the greasy manna from Iowa.

And so it goes....

Freddy, if you're up in heaven, hanging out on the internet, and you happen to read this, dont worry, i'm sure Norris is never on these boards, your secret is still safe.

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Boijoy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:48 pm

I hope Freddies family is not reading this post... It would kill them.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby pandasex » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:05 pm

so a cop in your mouth wouldnt count???

playing

i would never sleep with a cop LOL
I have post playa depression :(
pandasex

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:09 pm

cops smell funny.

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby lordgrizz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:49 am

Here is what I have discovered.

Bacon is defined as the cured or salted back, side, or belly of a pig. It was originally invented in 638 B.C. by a tribe of nomadic heathens known for their particularly fine pork. These people, known as the Bakkon, in order to preserve the meat from their pigs began salting and smoking the meat. It became an instant favorite meal to begin the day. The Bakkon thus lend their name to this tasty treat.

Bacon can be used as currency. Both barter and bribery attempts can often be expedited by the liberal application of bacon. This is the origin of the term Greasing the palm. Bringing home the bacon also refers to bacon being used as money, dating back to Rome when senators were paid in sides of bacon. This is likely also were we get the term Pork Spending, and its associations with politicians.

As of the time of this writing there are 416 separate posts on eplaya that mention bacon. Most of these only mention bacon in passing; usually in regards to eating it.

The love of bacon is not universal. There are those that feel bacon is inappropriate for the playa. Most of these concerns have to do with bacon grease and the disposal thereof. I personally suspect that some creative uses for bacon grease could do wonders for the non-bacon burners (NBB).
Perhaps collecting bacon grease to fill a kiddie pool and the using it for grease wrestling' I don't know.

While searching for bacon in the forums I discovered a phenomenon I am calling Dark Bacon. There at least two posts that come up when searching for the keyword bacon that do not have any mention of bacon in them at all. The bacon in these posts can not be seen by standard means yet theoretically exists and lends its weight to the number bacon related posts.
I believe that if Dark Bacon can be proven it will answer many fundamental questions about the nature of the universe.

Bacon can be used as a construction material. I have found references to a bacon bike, a bacon camp, and a bacon man. I have only seen pictures of the bacon man, but can assume that like the bacon man, the camp and the bike were constructed entirely out of crispy fried pork.

Over all my research has shown that there indeed exists a certain reverence for salty swine strips amongst burners that can not be readily explained. The story of bacon could take a life time to read, its wonders, its ability to bring joy and saliva to the mouths of all who are willing to partake of this greasy sacrament. Why is it so much more so with burners? I don't know. Perhaps it has to do with the nature of those brave souls who are willing to defy convention, face adversity and abandon the day to day reality for one week a year. A token of the bond that is formed in the dust.

Now, can I have my name back?
lordgrizz

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:15 am

Francis Bacon often gathered with the men at Gray's Inn to discuss politics and philosophy, and to try out various theatrical scenes that he admitted writing. Bacon's alleged connection to the Rosicrucians and the Freemasons has been widely discussed by authors and scholars in many books. However others, including Daphne du Maurier (in her biography of Bacon), have argued there is no substantive evidence to support claims of involvement with the Rosicrucians. Frances Yates does not make the claim that Bacon was a Rosicrucian, but presents evidence that he was nevertheless involved in some of the more closed intellectual movements of his day. She argues that Bacon's movement for the advancement of learning was closely connected with the German Rosicrucian movement, while Bacon's The New Atlantis portrays a land ruled by Rosicrucians. He apparently saw his own movement for the advancement of learning to be in conformity with Rosicrucian ideals.
Ugly Dougly

Postby ibdave » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:13 am

lordgrizz wrote:Here is what I have discovered.

Now, can I have my name back?

O Hairy Grasshopper, You have done well.
Love the "NBB" But Have you done enough???
That shall be decided by dragonfly Jafe.

You may need to dig deeper into the world of the dead swine.
Perhaps a photo of you eating Pigs Feet in a seedy bar followed by the oversized Pickle that are only really used by lonely women at the end of the night..

But still your Research so far is top shelf stuff....

ibdave

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:01 pm

I like my bacon dark.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby **burn** » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:43 pm

lordgrizz wrote:I actually prefer to both cook then eat bacon. I also enjoy watching others cook bacon. Sometimes I like to invite others to eat bacon I have cooked. Where does this place me in the hierarchy?

You know you are a true baconeer when you cook bacon in the nude.
Risky

The Booby Bar in
http://terminalvillage.com
**burn**

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:21 pm

lordgrizz wrote:Bacon can be used as a construction material. I have found references to a bacon bike, a bacon camp, and a bacon man. I have only seen pictures of the bacon man, but can assume that like the bacon man, the camp and the bike were constructed entirely out of crispy fried pork.

THe bacon man lives in a bacon house.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:14 pm

lordgrizz wrote:Here is what I have discovered...(dark bacon)...Now, can I have my name back?

In recognition of your efforts to significantly advance the field of Bakkonology, specifically the discovery of a here-to-fore unknown phenomena now known as Dark Bacon, I, Dragonfly Jafe, do hereby assert and affirm that you shall no longer be known here as "Grasshopper", instead enjoying the rights without prejudice to be returned to your previous nomenclature, aka "lordgrizz".

All hail lordgrizz!

(now, where's my bacon?)
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby lordgrizz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:31 pm

dragonfly Jafe wrote:In recognition of your efforts to significantly advance the field of Bakkonology, specifically the discovery of a here-to-fore unknown phenomena now known as Dark Bacon, I, Dragonfly Jafe, do hereby assert and affirm that you shall no longer be known here as "Grasshopper", instead enjoying the rights without prejudice to be returned to your previous nomenclature, aka "lordgrizz".(now, where's my bacon?)

Thank you. I will continue my efforts to understand the nature of the relationship between bacon and burners. You are all invited to come by my camp and enjoy bacon anytime you like; and as for you Dragonfly Jafe I will set a special portion aside for you.
lordgrizz

Postby Elderberry » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:39 pm

Wasn't there a camp called "You are that Pig" in 2006 that served bacon and beer.

http://public.youarethatpig.org/

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy