Media = Observers

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby rodiponer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:05 am

Yes, of course, I love "deal with it you sniveling pussy" too, but do you really act like that with a camera or do you just like that thought?

Would you use that same thought to justify walking into a restaurant, a Starbucks, or a grocery store and taking photographs of people as they sit at their tables eating dinner, or standing in line, or picking out cheese?

It is silly to equate a photograph in the national press with one on Flickr.
rodiponer

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:07 am

If I have told someone not to take my picture, and they are not complying, what should I do? (Presuming I am unable to simply jump out of the frame, or walk away.)
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby rodiponer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:16 am

Well, aside from what the org website says, I think we should all do our part to bring back public shame.

Take their photograph, a clear photograph of their face, and post it here for a five minute hate that includes eventual discovery and hotlinking to their real name.

Then, in five years, when Google adds facial recognition to the wearable computers everyone will have, the five minute hate will be projected onto their shirt whenever they go:
http://www.pranavmistry.com/projects/sixthsense/
rodiponer

Postby burnfree » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:15 am

[quote="Toolmaker"]I kept a small jar of pee handy to toss on em when they tried to snap a pic w/o asking. I got 2 right in the face the first day.[/quote]

a super-soaker full of dark concentrated playa piss is not a bad idea...
burnfree

Postby gyre » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:36 am

Having been in some national news footage, it's really no big deal.
No one cares.
In five minutes, no one remembers.

I have trouble finding photos of people that they point out to me and I go looking for.
And that's on the org site.
Most photos never see the light of day anyway.
gyre

Postby Playa Tom » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:27 pm

If you are out and about in a public area you have no reasonable expectation of privacy and your photograph may be taken and used for[b]editorial[/b] uses. Without your release a recognizable image of you may not be used for [b]commercial[/b] purposes. When you are in a private area,such as your tent, the potties, the orgasmateria you have a reasonable expectation of privacy and have the right to refuse to allow anyone capturing your image.
Playa Tom

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:57 pm

C.f.M. wrote:If I have told someone not to take my picture, and they are not complying, what should I do? (Presuming I am unable to simply jump out of the frame, or walk away.)

Easiest solution is to get a ranger involved.

I shoot every year I'm out there and I am always respectful and ask before taking any kind of portraiture style shot. I had a great afternoon in the Booby Bar last year shooting portraits of bar patrons and catching some incredible shots in front of a glorious sunset.

I plan on continuing that this year, but as always, only with permission. Part of our interactivity at the camp will be asking to take photographs as well next to our dead guy at the desk. I want to eventually set up a full on photo booth style area and take more dedicated portrait sots of people. That may be my plan for next year.

I also bring a supply of business cards that have my contact info and the link to my photo pages. If someone asks, I will remove any images of them I have put up and/or will send the hi-res files to them. I sent out 12 or so files from last year to people that asked for copies of themselves.

As for threats of violence against photographers, you can posture all you want. I'm not sure why you would think someone with a camera would not be able to defend themselves against such threats.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:59 pm

High Noon at the OK Corral

Cameras at 30 paces.

It's a shootout!!
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:07 pm

CapSmashy wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:If I have told someone not to take my picture, and they are not complying, what should I do? (Presuming I am unable to simply jump out of the frame, or walk away.)

Ask for money
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby duffdog » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:30 am

As for threats of violence against photographers, you can posture all you want. I'm not sure why you would think someone with a camera would not be able to defend themselves against such threats.

Many professional photographers...(me included) would laugh in the face of someone who said that they were going to attempt to 'touch' my camera in any way. Honestly, I have never seen anyone carry out any type of threat they made toward me while I was shooting. It is totally unnecessary to worry about professional media at the event, spend your time wondering about the lonely, shady guy who bought a d40x from wal-mart and is trying to covertly spy on people and sneak boob pictures. As a professional photographer, we are required to get quality pictures. Nobody wants to see a picture of someone mad at the photographer or covering their face!

BTW-- I have found that the Olympus e-300 works great in a fight, as it is made of solid aluminum on one side. I broke out a guys front teeth with it before and it only suffered a very small dent.
Purveyor of Fine 'Soul Crushing Bass'
duffdog

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy