HELP! (Nevada Lawyers) Drug bust on the way into burning man

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby Igneouss » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:18 am

Seems to me that the LEO to burner ratio in BRC is significantly higher than any default city of 50,000. Open use of pot seems like a pretty dumb idea. Particularly given that the odor is sufficient grounds for a LEO to enter your camp and investigate.

???
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby This Woman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:24 pm

Wow, thanks for the great information here.

With the exception of the painfully ignorant and bigoted (like Local and Unjohn), most people know to be wary of LEO whether or not they imbibe in illegal drugs. But there's a huge difference between possessing the knowledge of something and witnessing or experiencing it first hand.

Cops lie on the stand with the blessing of the court. So its really not as simple as saying you know the consequences or drugs are bad, m'kay? as was mentioned, they will say they gave you miranda (and in NV they hardly ever do), they will lie and coerce you into saying anything, because they can turn any statement into a confession, and at Burning Man they will take advantage of the elements to confuse and coerce you (like withholding water). They have a particular, well-honed talent for turning statements of innocence into confessions of guilt.

But I'm just ranting. I really popped in to talk about transportation of illegal drugs. You still have time to order a dvd from nevergetbusted or even see if there are clips on the website or on youtube. That is from the TX cop that got sick of arresting perfectly lovely citizens for this bullshit war on drugs. Anyway, one thing I do remember is that he said dogs don't smell things like we do...we smell stew, they smell meat and potatoes and carrots and so on, and that is why its so difficult to disguise the smell. And the drug odor will permeate pretty much everything eventually. The trick is to make the container something that takes longer to permeate and even then, you don't have more than 8 hours or so. So re-contain your stuff as necessary.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby mojo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:37 pm

One of the things the aforementioned ex-officer said that I thought was profound was to WASH YOUR HANDS before touching the outside of any packaging or container. The resin and oils from mj is easily transferred to fingers and then to the containers.
mojo

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:01 pm

This Woman wrote: as was mentioned, they will say they gave you miranda (and in NV they hardly ever do), they will lie and coerce you into saying anything, because they can turn any statement into a confession, and at Burning Man they will take advantage of the elements to confuse and coerce you (like withholding water). They have a particular, well-honed talent for turning statements of innocence into confessions of guilt.

Also - if you were not Mirandized - it is not an instant get out of jail free card. It has been argued that a reasonably intelligent person knows their rights. I read an argument citing the suspects familiarity of the shows CSI, Law and Order and Cops as a foundation that he knows his rights. It has gone both ways. Miranda is also losing ground

As stated before an officer can merely say he advised you of your rights and you kept on talking. Or that it was spontaneous utterance before Miranda.

Best bet when arrested -
Identify yourself, and that's it. After Hillbel -vs- Nevada (set in Winnemucca by the way) You have to identify yourself, and that's it. No other information is lawfully required.

My advice - Identify yourself and nothing more if it appears they are jamming you up.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby ygmir » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:06 pm

mdmf007 wrote:
This Woman wrote: as was mentioned, they will say they gave you miranda (and in NV they hardly ever do), they will lie and coerce you into saying anything, because they can turn any statement into a confession, and at Burning Man they will take advantage of the elements to confuse and coerce you (like withholding water). They have a particular, well-honed talent for turning statements of innocence into confessions of guilt.

Also - if you were not Mirandized - it is not an instant get out of jail free card. It has been argued that a reasonably intelligent person knows their rights. I read an argument citing the suspects familiarity of the shows CSI, Law and Order and Cops as a foundation that he knows his rights. It has gone both ways. Miranda is also losing ground

As stated before an officer can merely say he advised you of your rights and you kept on talking. Or that it was spontaneous utterance before Miranda.

Best bet when arrested -
Identify yourself, and that's it. After Hillbel -vs- Nevada (set in Winnemucca by the way) You have to identify yourself, and that's it. No other information is lawfully required.

My advice - Identify yourself and nothing more if it appears they are jamming you up.

how about putting your hand in your coat pocket, making a fake gun from your fingers and pulling it out really fast and yelling:
"bang, bang, you'll never get me coppers"........

no worry after that about trials and all the hassle........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:18 pm

ygmir wrote:
how about putting your hand in your coat pocket, making a fake gun from your fingers and pulling it out really fast and yelling:

That would be awesome - especially in Rural Nevada. 50 bucks says you get blown away 9 times out of 10.

I could tell you so many stories about sheriffs deputies from some of the less populated counties. Fucking crazy - some but not all obviously have no reason to be deputies and are unfit, untrained, and unstable. That is more in Central Eastern Nevada though. Get off the Interstate corridor and you go way back in time. White Pine, Eureka, Lincoln Counties.
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Postby ygmir » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:25 pm

mdmf007 wrote:
ygmir wrote:

That would be awesome - especially in Rural Nevada. 50 bucks says you get blown away 9 times out of 10.

I could tell you so many stories about sheriffs deputies from some of the less populated counties. Fucking crazy - some but not all obviously have no reason to be deputies and are unfit, untrained, and unstable. That is more in Central Eastern Nevada though. Get off the Interstate corridor and you go way back in time. White Pine, Eureka, Lincoln Counties.

ergo my statement about not worrying about trials and hassles any more......

I understand all to well.....
I've spent a lot of time in Midas NV. and Tuscarora, and Elko, as well as Lovelock..........and Winnemucca........

even sat in the bar the next day after Claude Dallas (sp?) was in Midas........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:15 am

mdmf007 wrote:
ygmir wrote:

Realistically, if you run the experiment you get blown away one time out of once.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:55 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
mdmf007 wrote:
ygmir wrote:

Realistically, if you run the experiment you get blown away one time out of once.

Assuming he means there would be a 90% chance of any given officer to shoot, this would mean that there is a probability of 0.0000000001 that you would survive 10 attempts (I am also assuming that each officer that shoots is 100% effective. this could require multiple reloadings, given the historical accuracy of LEO's in gunfights)

Pretty much the same thing, but one COULD do this ten times and survive to tell about it....
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby **burn** » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:11 am

It is referred to as 'spray and pray'.
Hundreds of rounds are fired but only tens of rounds find their actual target.
And cops are not held accountable for "accidents".
Risky

The Booby Bar in
http://terminalvillage.com
**burn**

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:58 am

Except for the "accidents" that involve thier own leg or foot.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby **burn** » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:22 am

Could you be referring to this cocky dumbass?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIJOVD8hwY[/youtube]
**burn**

Postby This Woman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:18 pm

On Miranda, even though I am outraged that a judge would say Miranda doesn't matter because everyone knows their rights due to cop shows (and this was some time ago - 90's I think), most people do know their rights. For the sake of argument, lets assume that even people who don't watch tv, don't watch crime shows (me) or are from other countries (lots of the Burner population) are aware of their rights.

What I learned from direct experience is that a reminder of your rights is absolutely necessary. Cops know this, and because Miranda has been weakened they can take full advantage by not reminding and saying they did with no repercussions. The reason a reminder is necessary is that you are in a high stress position being arrested, and the mind tends to shut down in such periods. Also, if you're innocent you're going to want to explain youself which is the death knell for your case.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby mojo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:12 pm

The COBAN cameras that are dash mounted in police cars are a very good thing - they keep people on both sides far more honest.

One of the best things you can do for your own safety is to carry a camera - better still, carry one that is video capable.
mojo

google the following

Postby epic » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:58 am

google the following and read them.
Barry Cooper
The books Busted and Arrest proof yourself. Very entertaining, even for law abiding folks like me!
epic

Postby gunsmith » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:37 pm

I love that cop shoots foot video! one of my favorites
I may not be here now but I was there then
gunsmith

Postby gyre » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:42 am

Have you seen the one of the cop tasered by another cop?

While this is going on, his dog is attacking everybody and I think the taser went off again.

Beats anything by the Three Stooges.

I saw the name McAllen in it, but that's all I know. (location?)
Wasn't that long ago.
gyre

Postby Tin Halo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:23 am

mojo wrote:The COBAN cameras that are dash mounted in police cars are a very good thing - they keep people on both sides far more honest.

One of the best things you can do for your own safety is to carry a camera - better still, carry one that is video capable.

Or you can go here and find all sorts of stuff to cover your ass:

www.boyovta.com

In particular, the VTR101 wireless camera.

They also sell multichannel black boxes that record GPS data as well. One has four inputs; imagine... four cameras and microphones, covering every aspect of every LEO interaction outside your vehicle. :shock: :D
Tin Halo

Burning Since: 2004

Postby gyre » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:58 am

The Chasecam can be set to record in endless loop and has been used for accidents, and I'm certain, police activity.
It is designed for mobile use.

True about cameras.
Even the poorest neighborhoods have enough digital cameras to send cops to prison now.
gyre

Postby robrob » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:16 pm

in chicago, the police are abusing an evesdropping law that the politicians passed to protect themselves. (So many illinois lawmakers have been sent to jail because of wiretaps, they've made it a felony to make recordings without all parties consent).

the police are literally having whistleblowers and activists arrested for these "illegal human rights and privacy violations".

the aclu is on it now, but for the time being, recording cops is a good way to get your head busted and thrown in jail in chicago. "The head of the Chicago police union counters that such recordings could inhibit officers from doing their jobs." LOL.

Playa Cops don't seem so bad, after coming home to this.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010 ... ivity-aclu
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm / endor

Postby ibdave » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:09 pm

either the S.F. or Oakland Police want to buy over 350 vid cameras that the cop wears on his/her chest to tape right in front of them. Records 4-5 hours and the cop turns it on/off as needed and no editing can be done in the field. They tried 15 of them with good results as they heading into court. 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby robrob » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:24 pm

that sounds like a great idea, though i am surprised the police union didn't stroke out over that proposal.

considering the potential for safety for all parties, and the fact that it's admissible evidence, i don't see why we shouldn't insist that all encounters be recorded.
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm / endor

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Oakland, ibdave.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby TomServo » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:40 pm

Well, I'm sure the OP has given up on this thread, but in California, your only defense would be that the officer had no reasonable cause to pull him over. I'm NOT a lawyer! 5mph over????? On 880? Hell no! But in the middle of nevada? Hell yeah! It all depends on what he had.....as to how severe his sentence will be. But count on worse from anything in Cali. I believe there are BM laweyers lined up....check with them, and don't ask or give out info in here!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Da Mule » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:45 pm

OP was 2008
Da Mule

Postby TomServo » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Da Mule wrote:OP was 2008

Well, then I guess they know. But this thread may be some use to the next fucktard, that tries to bring illicit drugs into nevada. They'd be better off hiding drugs in the cartridges of an AK or M16, to smuggle them in. Nevada LOVES assault weapons! Actually. I do too!
TomServo

Postby Da Mule » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:08 pm

just don't practice with them in your apartment
Da Mule

Postby gyre » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:36 pm

I think california is the only place still calling semi-automatic rifles "assault" rifles, which they aren't.

I asked the california state directly about them, and was told that I had been informed correctly, that I could indeed bring in any federally legal rifle.
But when we started going through the details, it turns out this only applies to military or police on duty in california.

They simply cannot conceive of anyone moving into california with a legal rifle otherwise.

On the other hand, a very high power war weapon like the 30.06 is quite welcome.

My paperwork with the state here is zero.
I am required to meet federal law, and be legal to own firearms.
That's it.

I find it hard to imagine anyone allowing laws like this to exist.

It was, specifically, ownership and skill with what the japanese considered war weapons that made california seem so unpalatable during world war two.

You'd think someone there would remember those events.
It made the newspapers and everything.
gyre

Postby TomServo » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Da Mule wrote:just don't practice with them in your apartment

Touche!
TomServo

Postby Queenofallevil5 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:17 pm

1: Thank you to all of the helpful people on here.

2: My boyfriend did not go to jail or prison. He got into a diversion program which included a year of a weekly drug rehab. He also has been on probation since the incident. He is also in the hole tens of thousands of dollars because of this incident.

3: Does anyone know how I can delete my profile on here?
Queenofallevil5

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy