HELP! (Nevada Lawyers) Drug bust on the way into burning man

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:35 pm

S game you are so full of shit..

Go back to you Ebay scam..

Have some one show you how to chebk you PM messages..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 10045
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Postby sacramentogames » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:42 pm

unjonharley wrote:S game you are so full of shit..

Go back to you Ebay scam..

Have some one show you how to chebk you PM messages..


How am I full of shit? This thread is something I have alot of knowledge in. I am taking everything from the textbook.

The only thing that may be wrong is your schizophrenia but then again I am not a Doctor. Don't you find it odd though you think the police and governmanet are all out to get you?

Ebay scam?....lets keep to the thread here. If you want to pick up your stick and take a swing at the pinata, lets go back over to the other thread.
sacramentogames
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:10 pm

sacramentogames wrote:
unjonharley wrote:S game you are so full of shit..

Go back to you Ebay scam..

Have some one show you how to chebk you PM messages..


How am I full of shit? This thread is something I have alot of knowledge in. I am taking everything from the textbook.

The only thing that may be wrong is your schizophrenia but then again I am not a Doctor. Don't you find it odd though you think the police and governmanet are all out to get you?

Ebay scam?....lets keep to the thread here. If you want to pick up your stick and take a swing at the pinata, lets go back over to the other thread.


No your not a doctor.. This not about my fears.. Far as that go's I fear nothing.. Everything that is going to will happen.. The patriot Act took away all our rights.. I've done my time on the streets in protest.. Now I'm old and trying to a carry the mesage: You have lost your rights in this country.. The example of the bong bust happened on the high desert..There were not drugs in the truck.. They were held without arrest..They were arrested after they were forced.. The only people that are allowed to be profiled are WASP..

The random stops at BM did not come to light until the next day.. Anyone that stopped were ordered to move on.. But you don't know about this.. doudt you have ever been to Burning Man.. You talk out of both side of you neck. Correcting yourself when someone catches you in our bull shit..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 10045
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Postby sacramentogames » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:31 pm

unjonharley wrote:
sacramentogames wrote:
unjonharley wrote:S game you are so full of shit..

Go back to you Ebay scam..

Have some one show you how to chebk you PM messages..


How am I full of shit? This thread is something I have alot of knowledge in. I am taking everything from the textbook.

The only thing that may be wrong is your schizophrenia but then again I am not a Doctor. Don't you find it odd though you think the police and governmanet are all out to get you?

Ebay scam?....lets keep to the thread here. If you want to pick up your stick and take a swing at the pinata, lets go back over to the other thread.


No your not a doctor.. This not about my fears.. Far as that go's I fear nothing.. Everything that is going to will happen.. The patriot Act took away all our rights.. I've done my time on the streets in protest.. Now I'm old and trying to a carry the mesage: You have lost your rights in this country.. The example of the bong bust happened on the high desert..There were not drugs in the truck.. They were held without arrest..They were arrested after they were forced.. The only people that are allowed to be profiled are WASP..

The random stops at BM did not come to light until the next day.. Anyone that stopped were ordered to move on.. But you don't know about this.. doudt you have ever been to Burning Man.. You talk out of both side of you neck. Correcting yourself when someone catches you in our bull shit..


As for the bong incident, I would love to see the citation in the arrest. I will gladly look at the officers report and see how the officer articulated breaking glass on the rocks was a good idea.

I have shown on the other thread that when I am wrong I will stand corrected. I have no problem if someone points out when I am wrong and I have shown I am man enough to take a punch.

Please tell me more about the random stops at BM. I cannot comment on them without knowing more facts. Being that BM is in NV I will have to confirm some things in the NV law books. But 4th amendment is clear and is the law of the land no matter what state you are in. I will be happy to tell you what an officer can and cannot do. The info I give is assuming every officers follows the laws "by the book"

As for me never going to BM, go back to the early threads on the Ebay conversation. You will see a fellow burner not only found pictures of me on the net, he found my video of me and my friends at Burning Man on youtube. If that comment was to question my integrity, we have to take one point away.

If you would like to see the video I will be happy to show you. Maybe when you see me we can share a nice warm Blue Ribbon Paps.
sacramentogames
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:02 pm

First of all Burning is under federal land management.. Or didn't you know this?..

I did neglect to say the bong thing was also federal/indian lands..

Nv. state and local police patrol these lands but defer to fedreal police..

The law you will see at BM are bunch of pus brought in for the event..

I stop offten to rest and look around on the desert.. Couple of time BLM Rangers have stop to see if I'm OK..(old white hair)

I can stand up for myself.. Tell you right now.. I would not even start to tell one of those big bastard what my rights are.. They have little station way out there.. No roads go there.. I don't want to be held there.. A person would soon came to believe..

Just roll up your little paper and slap him on the nose.. I'll hide and watch..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 10045
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Postby sacramentogames » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:14 pm

unjonharley wrote:First of all Burning is under federal land management.. Or didn't you know this?..

I did neglect to say the bong thing was also federal/indian lands..

Nv. state and local police patrol these lands but defer to fedreal police..

The law you will see at BM are bunch of pus brought in for the event..

I stop offten to rest and look around on the desert.. Couple of time BLM Rangers have stop to see if I'm OK..(old white hair)

I can stand up for myself.. Tell you right now.. I would not even start to tell one of those big bastard what my rights are.. They have little station way out there.. No roads go there.. I don't want to be held there.. A person would soon came to believe..

Just roll up your little paper and slap him on the nose.. I'll hide and watch..


Your point here is very commendable and I will look into it. My comments are correct when it comes to Federal land. I would like to research the indian property and get back to you. I would be talking out of my ass if I tried to comment about any land that is owned by the indian reservation. This may take me a day or two, but I promise you this, I will research it for you.

I will try to give you as much information as I can. I love all burners (even those who are mad at me) and I want to see everyone have a fun, safe burn without being hassled by govornment official.

I am off to have a drink or two, cheers to all of you burners!
sacramentogames
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am

Postby graidawg » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:31 am

civil asset forfeiture -
For the police, there is no legal requirement to prove "beyond reasonable doubt" that, say, your TV set was once used by a ring of Dutch pedophiles to view kiddie porn. They can simply take it, without ever giving it back, even if they never formally charge anyone for a crime

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_18620_6- ... z1DTK97hiX

as of June 2010, when the Ohio Supreme Court decided in a 5-1 ruling that a trained officer doesn't need any of those newfangled gizmos to determine if a car was speeding. In accordance with the ruling, the visual estimate of an experienced police officer is enough to convict anyone of speeding, without the need for pesky wastes of time like independent verification and evidence

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_18620_6- ... z1DTKM7ZZ8

i thought this would be an interesting place to put this
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 3123
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby sacramentogames » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:07 am

graidawg wrote:civil asset forfeiture -
For the police, there is no legal requirement to prove "beyond reasonable doubt" that, say, your TV set was once used by a ring of Dutch pedophiles to view kiddie porn. They can simply take it, without ever giving it back, even if they never formally charge anyone for a crime

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_18620_6- ... z1DTK97hiX

as of June 2010, when the Ohio Supreme Court decided in a 5-1 ruling that a trained officer doesn't need any of those newfangled gizmos to determine if a car was speeding. In accordance with the ruling, the visual estimate of an experienced police officer is enough to convict anyone of speeding, without the need for pesky wastes of time like independent verification and evidence

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_18620_6- ... z1DTKM7ZZ8

i thought this would be an interesting place to put this


I thought I was going to a "factual" website. That site is a joke. I bet Harley wrote most of the content on that site. Don't believe everything you read. If you live in the land of gullible, I have some beach front property on mars I would like to sell you. Someone on that site has taken "truth and facts" and twisted it all around. Show me one case that we can look at the court scripts and lets REALLY see what happened. I'm sure the truth is going to be a lot different than what is on that site.
sacramentogames
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am

Postby graidawg » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:20 am

it may not be a factual website but i have read in the independant about civil asset forfeture before - a major source of income for many pd's
the other stuff may be a bit far fetched but well, i'vee seen on copts on tv people getting arrested for possesion of paraphenalia.

try googling the terms used there they all come up with examples - i am from england and beleive anything im told about america, like selling rv trips to a nocommerce zone
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 3123
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby gyre » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:07 pm

I know someone that retrieved a car stolen by the feds.
It took years and cost a lot.

Police theft is quite common, as is finding internal theft of stolen property.
Cops have been caught running theft rings with seized vehicles.
We have had theft rings in the property room and impound lots here (involving the larger force) and recent robberies by officers of civilians.

Corrupt laws guarantee corrupt cops.

Seizure laws are designed for abuse.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby Cheyenne » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:13 pm

It doesn't just happen in USA, it happens in Canada, Uk and pretty much anywhere else.

My mates computer was seized by GMP here in Manchester and he never got it back - even though he was never charged with a particular crime

Once a bent pig, always a bent pig

Ps...

There is no country in the world with the freedom we have here. I have been all over the world and there is no better place I would rather live.


Don't agree really... Permits for fucking everything, J-walking (what the fuck is that about), ID to be carried EVERYWHERE, stopped for going 1mile and hour over the speed limit (what happened to odometer calibration variables??).. Its one of the reasons I love Detroit so much, because the cops there aren't really arsed about you unless you have pulled off a heist with a semi-automatic weapon.

We have a similar issue with the SOCPA and Terrorism Bill here in the UK which has seen a number of numpty police officers using stop and search legislation for a number of unrelated incidents. Our government is paranoid, and always has been - we have the most number of CCTV cameras per head of population anywhere in the world - but most of them are pretty crap and we can still take the piss out of our right wing fascist con-dem government without them thinking we are all polarised dangerous anarchists...

But anyway - even if I think needing a permit to blow your bloody nose is rediculous, I can't wait to come over next summer for BM and baseball - I'm reading up on the particulars of fourth amendment intricacies, so that if I am stopped under any condition of travel, I can refer them to my laminated & framed rebuff of US federal law...

(PS - your posts about 4th amendment stuff was quite good and has got me raiding the university library 'American law' section)
313

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:10 pm
Location: Wales!

Postby sacramentogames » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:01 pm

graidawg wrote:it may not be a factual website but i have read in the independant about civil asset forfeture before - a major source of income for many pd's
the other stuff may be a bit far fetched but well, i'vee seen on copts on tv people getting arrested for possesion of paraphenalia.

try googling the terms used there they all come up with examples - i am from england and beleive anything im told about america, like selling rv trips to a nocommerce zone


If you would like to take a swing at the pinata, go to the Ebay thread and take your best shot. Lets keep this threat to its own topic. With that said, I will continue.

You watch too much TV. Not every cop is a corrupt. I like to think they are here for our safety. There has been many bankers who have run off with millions of $$ however we still use the banks to hold our money. In every profession, you will have the bad with the good. I assure you that when our laws were written the guy behind the pencil didn't say "How can I screw these US citizens out of their liberties". Gimme a break. The minute you think your liberties have been completely abolished you should consider moving to Cuba. Better yet, if you REALLY think our system is that corrupt, you should stay home and not travel to America.
sacramentogames
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am

Postby sacramentogames » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Cheyenne wrote:It doesn't just happen in USA, it happens in Canada, Uk and pretty much anywhere else.

My mates computer was seized by GMP here in Manchester and he never got it back - even though he was never charged with a particular crime

Once a bent pig, always a bent pig

Ps...

There is no country in the world with the freedom we have here. I have been all over the world and there is no better place I would rather live.


Don't agree really... Permits for fucking everything, J-walking (what the fuck is that about), ID to be carried EVERYWHERE, stopped for going 1mile and hour over the speed limit (what happened to odometer calibration variables??).. Its one of the reasons I love Detroit so much, because the cops there aren't really arsed about you unless you have pulled off a heist with a semi-automatic weapon.

We have a similar issue with the SOCPA and Terrorism Bill here in the UK which has seen a number of numpty police officers using stop and search legislation for a number of unrelated incidents. Our government is paranoid, and always has been - we have the most number of CCTV cameras per head of population anywhere in the world - but most of them are pretty crap and we can still take the piss out of our right wing fascist con-dem government without them thinking we are all polarised dangerous anarchists...

But anyway - even if I think needing a permit to blow your bloody nose is rediculous, I can't wait to come over next summer for BM and baseball - I'm reading up on the particulars of fourth amendment intricacies, so that if I am stopped under any condition of travel, I can refer them to my laminated & framed rebuff of US federal law...

(PS - your posts about 4th amendment stuff was quite good and has got me raiding the university library 'American law' section)


You will have a wonderful time in America.

As for J-walking, USE A CROSS-WALK! That is what they are for. If we allowed everyone to walk in the street freely, there would be a lot more dead bodies to clean up. This law was designed for everyones safety.

Speeding- If you have the fear of being pulled over; then DON'T SPEED! Also be warned, we have cameras at stop lights to catch those who do not stop on the red light. These pictures are like senior portraits; they can see that zit you didn't cover up with makeup that morning.

Permits- We have these so some dumb ass doesn't build a structure that will catch fire or collapse. There are good reasons behind permits. Although I agree to permits, I do not agree with the costs of some.

You have the same rights here as any American citizen. The search laws are the same whether you are British or American. If you need any further assistance on the search and seizure laws, feel free to ask.
sacramentogames
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am

Postby graidawg » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:24 am

sacramentogames wrote:
graidawg wrote:it may not be a factual website but i have read in the independant about civil asset forfeture before - a major source of income for many pd's
the other stuff may be a bit far fetched but well, i'vee seen on copts on tv people getting arrested for possesion of paraphenalia.

try googling the terms used there they all come up with examples - i am from england and beleive anything im told about america, like selling rv trips to a nocommerce zone


If you would like to take a swing at the pinata, go to the Ebay thread and take your best shot. Lets keep this threat to its own topic. With that said, I will continue.

You watch too much TV. Not every cop is a corrupt. I like to think they are here for our safety. There has been many bankers who have run off with millions of $$ however we still use the banks to hold our money. In every profession, you will have the bad with the good. I assure you that when our laws were written the guy behind the pencil didn't say "How can I screw these US citizens out of their liberties". Gimme a break. The minute you think your liberties have been completely abolished you should consider moving to Cuba. Better yet, if you REALLY think our system is that corrupt, you should stay home and not travel to America.


ok i agree not every cop is corrupt- but we arent talking about the good ones are we? we are talking about the ones that break the rules!
ok i agree with that the laws weren't written with that in mind but after the fact people twist the rules for their own benefit. just like shyster lawyers twist the rules for their clients benefit - everyone does it (you included)
This isnt about wether or not libeties have been abolished or not. I'm not saying the cops WILL steal my stuff or that I WILL get fucked over by some copper loking for aneasy buck. I merely put the post up BECAUSE THEY CAN!
oh as an aside if you read how cuba works its actually a fairly good system, if you let the state own your business and take the profits they quarantee you health care and education and a pension. Or own your own business and the state provides nothing - ask the average cuban they love Fidel they might not be rich but then nor is anyone else (except the people at the very top)
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 3123
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby sacramentogames » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:11 pm

graidawg wrote:
sacramentogames wrote:
graidawg wrote:it may not be a factual website but i have read in the independant about civil asset forfeture before - a major source of income for many pd's
the other stuff may be a bit far fetched but well, i'vee seen on copts on tv people getting arrested for possesion of paraphenalia.

try googling the terms used there they all come up with examples - i am from england and beleive anything im told about america, like selling rv trips to a nocommerce zone


If you would like to take a swing at the pinata, go to the Ebay thread and take your best shot. Lets keep this threat to its own topic. With that said, I will continue.

You watch too much TV. Not every cop is a corrupt. I like to think they are here for our safety. There has been many bankers who have run off with millions of $$ however we still use the banks to hold our money. In every profession, you will have the bad with the good. I assure you that when our laws were written the guy behind the pencil didn't say "How can I screw these US citizens out of their liberties". Gimme a break. The minute you think your liberties have been completely abolished you should consider moving to Cuba. Better yet, if you REALLY think our system is that corrupt, you should stay home and not travel to America.


ok i agree not every cop is corrupt- but we arent talking about the good ones are we? we are talking about the ones that break the rules!
ok i agree with that the laws weren't written with that in mind but after the fact people twist the rules for their own benefit. just like shyster lawyers twist the rules for their clients benefit - everyone does it (you included)
This isnt about wether or not libeties have been abolished or not. I'm not saying the cops WILL steal my stuff or that I WILL get fucked over by some copper loking for aneasy buck. I merely put the post up BECAUSE THEY CAN!
oh as an aside if you read how cuba works its actually a fairly good system, if you let the state own your business and take the profits they quarantee you health care and education and a pension. Or own your own business and the state provides nothing - ask the average cuban they love Fidel they might not be rich but then nor is anyone else (except the people at the very top)


The reason for this thread is some dumb ass allowed an officer to do a search. It was consensual. He had the right to say NO. At what point was this officer going outside his duties?

As for making a buck, are you kidding? Let me have a little laugh. *Giggle*

Peace officers do not get a cut from the citations they write. Bottom line, act within the laws and you will not get pulled over.

As for Cuba, great system!!!...that's why every Cuban wants to move to Florida.
sacramentogames
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am

Postby graidawg » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:10 am

sacramentogames wrote:The reason for this thread is some dumb ass allowed an officer to do a search. It was consensual. He had the right to say NO. At what point was this officer going outside his duties?

As for making a buck, are you kidding? Let me have a little laugh. *Giggle*

Peace officers do not get a cut from the citations they write. Bottom line, act within the laws and you will not get pulled over.

As for Cuba, great system!!!...that's why every Cuban wants to move to Florida.


SG - that may be the origonal reason for this thread but its drifted. i think more than a few people have commented about how the police will say whatever they think will get the rsult they want, and how there are a great many citations in brc for underage drinking that, if contested, at all get dismissed without hesitation because the LEO's BROKE THE RULES
which kind of blows your act within the law and you won't get pulled over out the window don't you think?
no they dont get a commision on the citations they write but they do get a pd that runs at a profit so they get better wages/conditions.
EVERY cuban wants to move to florida? hmmm as big a generalisation as every copper is bent don't you think?
i notice you didnt contest my point that people will bend the rules to there advantage. But then i would say YOU are fully aware of that arent you? now im not going back to resurrect the ebay post but you are fully aware of how to bend the rules to get something out of it for yourself arent you?
you sir may think you are a masterdebator, but i would use a much shorter word.
of course as a burgin i have absolutely no right to say what is right or wrong or even in the spirit of burning man.
so to get back to the point its not about if someone was stupid or if the cops are bent its about how the law will ignore your RIGHTS if you don't remind them, which i am sure even you will agree is not the way rights should be regarded.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 3123
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby sacramentogames » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:07 am

graidawg wrote:
sacramentogames wrote:The reason for this thread is some dumb ass allowed an officer to do a search. It was consensual. He had the right to say NO. At what point was this officer going outside his duties?

As for making a buck, are you kidding? Let me have a little laugh. *Giggle*

Peace officers do not get a cut from the citations they write. Bottom line, act within the laws and you will not get pulled over.

As for Cuba, great system!!!...that's why every Cuban wants to move to Florida.


SG - that may be the origonal reason for this thread but its drifted. i think more than a few people have commented about how the police will say whatever they think will get the rsult they want, and how there are a great many citations in brc for underage drinking that, if contested, at all get dismissed without hesitation because the LEO's BROKE THE RULES
which kind of blows your act within the law and you won't get pulled over out the window don't you think?
no they dont get a commision on the citations they write but they do get a pd that runs at a profit so they get better wages/conditions.
EVERY cuban wants to move to florida? hmmm as big a generalisation as every copper is bent don't you think?
i notice you didnt contest my point that people will bend the rules to there advantage. But then i would say YOU are fully aware of that arent you? now im not going back to resurrect the ebay post but you are fully aware of how to bend the rules to get something out of it for yourself arent you?
you sir may think you are a masterdebator, but i would use a much shorter word.
of course as a burgin i have absolutely no right to say what is right or wrong or even in the spirit of burning man.
so to get back to the point its not about if someone was stupid or if the cops are bent its about how the law will ignore your RIGHTS if you don't remind them, which i am sure even you will agree is not the way rights should be regarded.


I agree, this conversation keeps drifting. I will only comment on CA and NV laws. If you are in the UK, I cannot comment or speculate on your laws.

Bend the rules? Police do not need to "bend the rules". An officer can get into your can through consent. Its all in the way it is asked. Any person who knows the laws will not succumb to verbal judo and know that an officer can't get into your pockets nor your car. However, if a person is stupid (the person who started this thread),lets an officer in by consent, he deserves to be in jail. Almost every cop stays within policy and procedure. If he was acting outside his duties, there would be a lot more civil suits and a lot more days on the beach for officers.

The Police Department gets paid to be there. They get nothing off the tickets written. Since there are so many challenged and thrown out the window, show a few cases that were thrown out. Give me case numbers and I will look them up. I will be happy to read the police reports and the final judgment.
sacramentogames
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am

Postby Mojojita » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:55 pm

Let me just throw a couple of things out there.

1) Please don't ever rely on anyone's interpretation of the law as described on an internet chat site such as this one.
2) Please rethink trying to practice law without a license, even though I realize that your intentions are very good. To make attempts at such, particularly on the internet, is perilous for a lot of reasons. I think this includes activities such as researching laws and then posting what your interpretation of them is. I have done it too to some extent and have to remind myself that it may be the opposite of helpful.
User avatar
Mojojita
 
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:17 am
Location: Under your bed

Postby gyre » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:28 pm

3. Don't take legal advice from a cop.


They don't need to know the law.
They're cops.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby Cheyenne » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Let me just throw a couple of things out there.

1) Please don't ever rely on anyone's interpretation of the law as described on an internet chat site such as this one.
2) Please rethink trying to practice law without a license, even though I realize that your intentions are very good. To make attempts at such, particularly on the internet, is perilous for a lot of reasons. I think this includes activities such as researching laws and then posting what your interpretation of them is. I have done it too to some extent and have to remind myself that it may be the opposite of helpful.


Massive LIKE for this post - I agree...
313

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:10 pm
Location: Wales!

Postby sacramentogames » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:38 pm

Mojojita wrote:Let me just throw a couple of things out there.

1) Please don't ever rely on anyone's interpretation of the law as described on an internet chat site such as this one.
2) Please rethink trying to practice law without a license, even though I realize that your intentions are very good. To make attempts at such, particularly on the internet, is perilous for a lot of reasons. I think this includes activities such as researching laws and then posting what your interpretation of them is. I have done it too to some extent and have to remind myself that it may be the opposite of helpful.


too shay. I did take criminal justice and I was trying to clarify the laws of search and seizure. But you are certainly right, the group I am debating with seems to think all law enforcement is corrupt.
sacramentogames
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am

Postby graidawg » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:49 am

you want citations sac games? ok
With respect to moneys, negotiable instruments, securities, or other things of value, as described
in Health and Safety Code Section 11470(f), discussed above, when cash or negotiable instruments
of a value of $25,000 or more, there is no requirement that a criminal conviction be obtained in an
underlying or related criminal offense. Health & Safety Code §11488.4(i)(4).
that can be found if you google civil aset forfeiture california. At least in england (i know different countries get different results)
as for filming the poilce - california penal code 632
the drink one?
California Penal Code 647(f) PC "Drunk in Public"
2. How Does the Prosecutor Prove that
I was "Drunk in Public?"
While the phrase "drunk in public" sounds pretty basic, this crime of "disorderly conduct" actually has quite a few nuances that make it rather technical.

In order to convict you of violating California’s "drunk in public" law, the prosecutor must prove the following facts (otherwise known as "elements of the crime"):



1.that you were willfully under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs,



2.that, at the time you were under the influence, you were in a public place, and



3.you were unable to exercise care for your own safety or for the safety of others, or



4.because of your intoxication, you interfered with, obstructed, or prevented the free use of a sidewalk, street, or other public way.6

i would say that covers most of the people at burning man at some point, having had 1 drink you are "under the influence"

But sac games my major point wasn't that the police are corrupt or that the law is wrong.

The police should not wait for you to invoke your rights. the are the enforcers of the LAW. if they ignore a law or fail to inform you of your rights in respect of that law they are little more than common bullies using ther uniform, badge and in america gun to make you - the person they are sworm to protect - do what they want want you to do.
This is a what i meant in my earlier post (the part you chose to ignore) when i said
ok i agree with that the laws weren't written with that in mind but after the fact people twist the rules for their own benefit. just like shyster lawyers twist the rules for their clients benefit - everyone does it (you included)
the Question that EVERYONE not just the police should be asking themselves is not CAN I DO THIS but IF i ddo this am i benefitting the community, the police run stings to see if burners are breaking the law serving alcohol to minors, or pull people at the side of the road to see if they can find a ticket they can issue. others try to make a profit out of somebody elses idea.
Its the capatilst way
sacremento games i ask you do you feel it is morally correct that the police pull someone over, then trick them into making a mistake by allowing them to search there person or vehicle, considering if a person is a career criminal they are aware of the law and not likely to be caught?
In england if we refuse to allow ourselves to be searched we are commiting an offense, so if i was stopped in nevada prior to reading this thread would have simply allowed them to, then when they find the roach from the previous owner of the vehicle under the front seat, (as a possibilty) i get taken to jail, deported and forbidden from returning to america ever again. Or should the police be required to ask the question in a certain way, ie, Do I have your permission to search you and your vehicle sir? leading to the more likely answer of why?
I await your response sir, please do not take offense as i have reread the other post and feel that you are if not morally sound at least attempting to cause the minimul disruption to others that feel burning man is more than just TTITD
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 3123
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Elderberry » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:54 am

sacramentogames wrote: However, if a person is stupid (the person who started this thread),lets an officer in by consent, he deserves to be in jail. Almost every cop stays within policy and procedure. If he was acting outside his duties, there would be a lot more civil suits and a lot more days on the beach for officers.



I think some people, like myself, worry that if a cop asks to search your car and you say no, it would make the situation worse. After all, it's just your word against theirs as to how the stop went down. Thank goodness for the dash cams, but who knows for sure that they are even running?

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 13288
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Palm Springs
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby sacramentogames » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:47 pm

jkisha wrote:
sacramentogames wrote: However, if a person is stupid (the person who started this thread),lets an officer in by consent, he deserves to be in jail. Almost every cop stays within policy and procedure. If he was acting outside his duties, there would be a lot more civil suits and a lot more days on the beach for officers.



I think some people, like myself, worry that if a cop asks to search your car and you say no, it would make the situation worse. After all, it's just your word against theirs as to how the stop went down. Thank goodness for the dash cams, but who knows for sure that they are even running?

JK


Excellent point. Unless they have probable cause though, its hard to get into your pockets or vehicle.
sacramentogames
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am

Postby sacramentogames » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:05 pm

Someone asked me what I think about the police setting up stings at Burning Man. I see two sides on this coin I am about to flip. On one side we can make it a free for all without any policing at the event and its going to end up in a huge cluster f%&k. On the other side I see policing the BRC and protecting the community as essential. I think with the heat (rising temperature) on the playa, if police turn their back on the drugs and let it be a free for all, there will be a lot of bodies brought home in boxes by the end of the week.

Many years ago when raves were huge in SF/Oakland area there weren't many sting operations. Drugs were being handed out by the handfuls. A bad bunch of pills were going around that caused 9 people to be transported to the hospital. Several were not so fortunate. I couldn't imagine being the one making the call to those parents. Because of instances like this, police have had to protect partiers from themselves. The number one concern for any officer is preservation of life.

I don't believe police come to BRC with the intentions of "how can we screw with these people". Bringing hard core narcotics to a large event in the heat can lead to possible prosecution or even death. I saw a few people arrested last year for soliciting an under cover agent for ecstasy.This is about as smart as jumping into the middle of a busy highway.

I see a bunch of mice getting into the cheese getting caught by the cat. Don't piss and moan after the cat has you in his cage.

I had someone send me a PM I would like to share. I hope this person does not get offended that I cut and pasted this comment but I think he hit the nail on the head. He said the following:

"I don't have a big argument with those who bring and use whatever they want (as long as they are willing to accept the consequences) - my argument is with bragging about it in an open forum. It only builds the perception among the uninitiated that this festival is a giant drug party."

VERY WELL SAID!
sacramentogames
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am

Postby Mojojita » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:33 pm

No worries, you are welcome to quote me at will (and by the way, he is a she). The above sentiment is often met with a modicum of derision on this board though - seems to be one of those beliefs that is not politically eplaya correct.
User avatar
Mojojita
 
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:17 am
Location: Under your bed

Postby sacramentogames » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:06 pm

Mojojita wrote:No worries, you are welcome to quote me at will (and by the way, he is a she). The above sentiment is often met with a modicum of derision on this board though - seems to be one of those beliefs that is not politically eplaya correct.
I stand corrected for saying (he). BTW I didn't mean to throw you under the bus, it was not my intent. I think you had an excellent point and I completely agree with you.
sacramentogames
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:26 pm

That makes two of us.
User avatar
Dr. Pyro
 
Posts: 4086
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:11 am
Location: Newcastle, CA
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Major Krash » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:47 pm

sacramentogames wrote:Someone asked me what I think about the police setting up stings at Burning Man. I see two sides on this coin I am about to flip. On one side we can make it a free for all without any policing at the event and its going to end up in a huge cluster f%&k. On the other side I see policing the BRC and protecting the community as essential.


I have attended a local non-BM event that has grown over the last 6 years or so to "full size", with the problems that come. It is on private land, and until last year was free of LEO's (at least open ones). Last year the LEO's got invited in mid-event, due to a potentially ugly situation involving an alleged assault on an under age female, with the Accused claiming to have a firearm in his car, and the willingness to use it when he was asked to leave by Event Staff. He fled once the Police were called (and the Staff threatened to evict his entire camp if they did not help convince him to leave - some quick talking avoided having to see if he was bluffing about pulling a gun)

Most Everyone was happy the LEO's stayed after that...
User avatar
Major Krash
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:55 pm
Location: just off the Oregon Trail
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Mojojita » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:58 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:That makes two of us.


Hey little boy, wanna take a tour of the back of my RV?
User avatar
Mojojita
 
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:17 am
Location: Under your bed

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests