Drug Scene

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Drug Scene

Postby Do_Japan » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:16 pm

Im curious as to what the drug scene is like at burning man. Is it the kind of enviornment where there are so many people doing drugs the police just stand and watch or do they single people out and bust them bad? I have heard that burning man is notorious for lots of acid, but everything ive read hints that if I go expecting to do alot of drugs i will be disappointed, or end up in jail. Can someone give me an answer as to what its really like please
Do_Japan

Postby alx_hghs » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:52 pm

i went last year and the drug scene was incredible. everywhere i looked there was someone dropping acid or a bunch of people in a tent doing bong rips. its insane. i went there mainly for the music but the drugs i got out there really make me want to go back out this year.
alx_hghs

Postby Flux » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:56 pm

The Burning Man organization sells drugs at the center camp cafe. Didn't you know that? It's all spelled out in the Survival Guide.

Center Camp Cafe Menu:
Chai Tea
Espresso Drinks (Latte, Capuccino, etc.)
Brewed Coffee
Lemonade
MDMA (Ecstasy)
LSD-25 (Acid)
Hash Brownies
Crystal Methamphetamine

Other drugs are a bit harder to get; you'll have to go over to the Black Rock Rangers HQ and sign a waiver, then they'll sell you Peruvian flake cocaine, black tar heroin, and genuine East LA-grade crack with a valid picture ID.
Flux

Postby unjonharley » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:21 am

Flux, You are a complete ass-hole. You and I could be friends.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby Blenderhead » Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:48 am

Flux wrote:The Burning Man organization sells drugs at the center camp cafe. Didn't you know that? It's all spelled out in the Survival Guide.

Center Camp Cafe Menu:
Chai Tea
Espresso Drinks (Latte, Capuccino, etc.)
Brewed Coffee
Lemonade
MDMA (Ecstasy)
LSD-25 (Acid)
Hash Brownies
Crystal Methamphetamine

Other drugs are a bit harder to get; you'll have to go over to the Black Rock Rangers HQ and sign a waiver, then they'll sell you Peruvian flake cocaine, black tar heroin, and genuine East LA-grade crack with a valid picture ID.

Hey, wait a minute! I thought all the drugs were FREE, dammit! Fuck this, I'm going to Thailand instead. Screw you hippies.
Blenderhead

Postby Lydia Love » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:23 am

Despite everything these sarcastic (yet lovable) motherfuckers are saying -

There is a drug scene there ... but the cops will not just be standing around. They are actively searching for people to bust on drugs. So everyone who wishes to be partake has to be more than discrete.

Do Japan - have ya checked out the main site yet? Stuff like the survival guide can be an informative read...
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby Rob the Wop » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:27 am

Yah, last year in Center Camp they told me they didn't sell crack. Fine. I'll just have to take my business to the next door Rainbow Gathering.
The other, other white meat.
Rob the Wop

Postby madmatt » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:07 am

Hey Do Japan, read the threads on this discussion board about getting busted by the cops. It's a heavily documented phenomenon.

There's lots and lots of drugs there, and if you like doing drugs, I'm sure you'll love doing them there. But even burners wacked on five hits of xtc will tell you it's not about the drugs. Lot's of people there don't do drugs at all (hard to believe), but alcohol is everwhere all the time. Funny though, how it doesn't turn into what you often get at bars or football games, with lots of fighting etc.

If you don't want to get busted, do your drugs in secret inside your tent, in the portapotties, or not at all. Act with drugs twice as careful as you would on a city street.

On the eplaya, however, the most popular drug is sarcasm. Rarely deadly but highly addictive, and gives you a mean hangover.

madmatt

Postby Do_Japan » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:59 am

I had read about all the cops on the main site, and stories of people getting busted. I just wasnt sure how common they were, if maybe they were an exception. If someone were to go and drop acid and act crazy would the cops bother, or just think they are another hippy being wierd?
Do_Japan

Postby madmatt » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:15 am

Well Do_Japan, that's the cool part. You only get busted for ingesting or possessing. But believe me, you're head will spin around when you see how crazy people are acting at BM.

When it's done spinning around, you'll think they're all acting sane, and everyone back home is crazy. Then you know that BM has changed you.
madmatt

Some ideas on the subject.

Postby Jordan 10-E » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:21 am

You should just go and see what it is like or not like. I can say it's not just a big drugfest with people openly doing drugs right and left. So if your personal choice is to do drugs, it would be no different than chosing to do drugs in your regular life. If you were to openly do drugs for all to see then you could expect to possibly have problems with the law, just like anywhere else. If you are a person that can't handle his acid and turns into an idiot or a social liability then maybe you shouldn't be doing it. You shouldn't expect drug dealers to be on every corner, neither should you expect that cops will be patting down every person they see acting weird. Burning Man is about having a good time, but it is also about personal responsibilty in your enjoyment of freedom. Again, you should just go to Burning Man and see what it is like, rather than setting yourself up with a lot of particular expectations.

Oh yeah and madmatt, why would anyone want to do drugs in the portapotties? I think that would be the last place in the world I'd be wanting to do drugs. A funny story though... one night I was at the portapotties and there was a guy in the one next to me and he was laughing to himself hysterically. I saw him come out of there with a look on his face like he had just experienced the greatest revelation of his life!
10E
Jordan 10-E

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Badger » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:36 am

I saw him come out of there with a look on his face like he had just experienced the greatest revelation of his life!

Someone (Trey) suggested that a good dump can often be underrated?
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Re: Some ideas on the subject.

Postby Flux » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:01 am

Jordan 10-E wrote:A funny story though... one night I was at the portapotties and there was a guy in the one next to me and he was laughing to himself hysterically. I saw him come out of there with a look on his face like he had just experienced the greatest revelation of his life!

That reminds me of my favorite porta-potty witticism this year:

"When did I eat corn?"

Maybe his laughter had something to do with that...
Flux

Postby Flux » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:03 am

Rob the Wop wrote:Yah, last year in Center Camp they told me they didn't sell crack. Fine. I'll just have to take my business to the next door Rainbow Gathering.

Just find Chai Guy. How do you think he can afford to give away all that tea?
Flux

Postby Flux » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:06 am

unjonharley wrote:Flux, You are a complete ass-hole. You and I could be friends.

Yeah, I guess I am, though I really wasn't trying to be. Though I've since come to the conclusion that Do_Japan is a sincere (if very naive) newbie, when I was reading his/her posts last night, my troll alarm was sounding loudly. Given that I'm a pretty sarcastic bastard to start with, I just couldn't resist.

Sorry if I came across as an asshole, D_J (can I call you D_J?).
Flux

Postby Badger » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:09 am

my troll alarm was sounding loudly.

Call it a claxton. Mine was going off as well.

But now I'm a kinder, gentler Badger. You'll see.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Lydia Love » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:32 pm

But now I'm a kinder, gentler Badger. You'll see.

I would find this terribly dissapointing...
Lydia Love

Postby III » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:00 pm

i think he really just meant "cuddlier"
III

Postby blyslv » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:09 pm

Badger wrote:
I saw him come out of there with a look on his face like he had just experienced the greatest revelation of his life!

Someone (Trey) suggested that a good dump can often be underrated?

I'd always thought it was Freud, (who was also a skieer)

"There's nothing like a good dump."
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Badger » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:15 pm

I would find this terribly dissapointing...

Yeah, you're right. Who am I fucking kidding.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby thoughtsurfer » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:49 pm

III said, "i think he really just meant "cuddlier""

Speaking of cuddley....sorry to blur threads, but your "ass" image left me speechless up till now.
Yes, cuddley...
my contacts are all foggy now due to the tears streaming.
(maybe it's better that way?)
thoughtsurfer

Postby madmatt » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:17 am

A wind free (but not fart free) place you could snort lines privately using your flashlight. NOT like I'm endorsing it...

"why would anyone want to do drugs in the portapotties?"

Re laughing hysterically...
I was doing that often, regardless of where I was. Whilst in the potties, I often heard really funny conversations through the walls.
madmatt

Postby Jordan 10-E » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:11 pm

madmatt wrote:Re laughing hysterically...
I was doing that often, regardless of where I was. Whilst in the potties, I often heard really funny conversations through the walls.

Yeah I can see that, but this guy was thouroughly in his own world at the time.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Burning Since: 2002

Postby griffin » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:00 pm

:cry: We had a drug bust in our camp. The BLM smelled smoke from outside our structure (one of those portable carport things). Since one of the zippers was open, even though the door was down, they decided to come right in and take any thing drug related. They were even nice enough to offer to search our entire camp. Long story short, be prepared to answer their questions without getting nervouse. They normally write you the equivalent of a j-walking ticket, but for posesion. Don't give them anymore information then they need, but don't be rude to them. You do have the right to ask them questions to.

Also, and even better tip, it that if you have all your pot confiscated, just show off your ticket to everybody you meet and you will end up richer in the long run.
griffin

Postby Don Muerto » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:09 pm

madmatt wrote:A wind free (but not fart free) place you could snort lines privately...

A BM porta-potty is the *last* place I would want to snort something!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Don Muerto

Postby Chai Guy » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:21 pm

A BM porta-potty is the *last* place I would want to snort something!

I dunno, I heard a line or two of dried urinal cake can really keep you dancing, nice visuals too!
Chai Guy

Postby madmatt » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:30 pm

I dunno, I heard a line or two of dried urinal cake can really keep you dancing, nice visuals too!

Eeeeeewwwwww, your imagination is dirty. [/quote]
madmatt

lmao no more rainbow gatherers lmao

Postby dj big E » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:48 pm

if you are just another hippy that wants to come out and get fucking high all the fucking time and spread that hippy rainbow vibe stay fucking home bm is evil if you still decide to come thoe share you're drugs with me lol. I prefer an assortment. dj big "E"
dj big E

Postby Angry Butterfly » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:54 pm

E shmee,
give me LSD!
(say it out loud)
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Postby Lydia Love » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:29 pm

I think I'm finished with LSD on a rather permanent basis. The recovery period ('specially at BM) is too much for me to handle anymore. I'm getting too old for trippin anymore.

However, the perfectly legal combo of booze and caffiene made me *very* *very* happy this year.
Lydia Love

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy