Support for Paul

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby transgirl » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:09 am

I haven't read the thread, but since there were signs on the way into BRC that mentioned burning the man early (was it a quoted threat?), it seems like the idea was kind of inspired and spread around. Hasnt' this been a reoccuring "threat" at BM?

It didn't really bother me. I can see how people would be divided on it though.

I kind of thought it was interesting to burn down the man early in an act of rebellion. The idea of constant change and letting go of tradition is something that draws me to BM.
transgirl

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:04 pm

There's a very special corner of Hell reserved for people who play the "you brought it on yourself" card...

Did it occur to you that this little "act of rebellion" is going to create <i><b>more</i></b> restrictions and regulations to prevent it from happening again? And of course the anarchista crowd is going to lash back, they'll tighten security more, the anarchistas will lash out more violently...BLM will close the event for public safety...

Thanks for the fucking memories.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby transgirl » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:51 pm

ha. "A very special corner of HELL" ??

Is it really that serious?

maybe this needed to happen. It's like some kind of crazed idol worship or something.

It's a big wooden stick figure. Some guy on drugs burned it down before it was supposed to be.

It was then rebuilt.

It's pretty crazy people are having such an intense emotional reaction. This guy will end up a felon and be disbarred for burning a big stick figure that was going to burn anyway.

I could see black-listing him from the event or something....but prosecuting him?
Fuck the man anyway.
transgirl

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:57 pm

transgirl wrote:Fuck the man anyway.

And you're welcome to ride that particular gravy train.
[PLONK]
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Kinetik V » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:34 pm

transgirl wrote:I could see black-listing him from the event or something....but prosecuting him?
Fuck the man anyway.

Main Entry: ar·son
Pronunciation: 'är-s&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Anglo-French arsoun, from ars, past participle of arder, ardre to burn, from Latin ardEre -- more at ARDOR
: the willful or malicious burning of property (as a building) especially with criminal or fraudulent intent
- ar·son·ist /-ist/ noun
- ar·son·ous /-&s/ adjective

It is what it is no matter how much anyone wants to spin it. Arson. As for the particulars and sorting through them, that's why we have a legal system. Let Paul state his case in front of a judge or 12 random Nevadans who can sort it out.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby transgirl » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:57 pm

My goodness. Are personal attacks necessary? It's a big wooden stick figure with tacky neons all over it.
:twisted:

I thought the organizer of the event said it's not about the man anyway.

???

There were other great burns; the oil derrick thingy/temple.

How many premeditated, over-organized, glorified bonfires do people need in one week?

I saw that video of Paul Addis going on about the war. He's pretty crazy acting--all pissed off. Just look at his eyes. Weird.

But I have to admit I laughed tuesday when I arrived and heard about it.
The whole thing is over-organized anyway. A moderately entertaining event at the end of an amazing week.

Here's radical self-reliance: see a big thing on fire, don't stand near or under it or you may get burned/marred/killed.
transgirl

Postby Kinetik V » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:09 pm

At least it's easier to reason with.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:25 pm

transgirl wrote:How many premeditated, over-organized, glorified bonfires do people need in one week?

At least 28 in a perfect world. Not including impromptu, drunken engineered, safety third explosions.
Toolmaker

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:44 am

Toolmaker wrote:
transgirl wrote:How many premeditated, over-organized, glorified bonfires do people need in one week?

At least 28 in a perfect world. Not including impromptu, drunken engineered, safety third explosions.

Mmmm... Impromptu Explosions... argghhllll....
(Thanks, Homer...)
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:14 am

transgirl wrote:I kind of thought it was interesting to burn down the man early in an act of rebellion.

Unfortunately it's kind of like if the rebels had attacked Ft. Sumpter and said "Well, if you didn't mean for it to be attacked you wouldn't have made it a fort."

The consequences destroyed the rebellion but there are of course still no shortage of people who are for some reason glad that the Confederacy attacked Ft. Sumpter.

-zb
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

News on Addis' arraignment?

Postby madmatt » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:48 am

Anyone have any news on Paul Addis' arraignment or any other progress in his legal matters?
madmatt

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:52 am

Nope, we are blissfully ignorant.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:23 am

transgirl wrote:My goodness. Are personal attacks necessary? It's a big wooden stick figure with tacky neons all over it.
:twisted:

I thought the organizer of the event said it's not about the man anyway.

???

There were other great burns; the oil derrick thingy/temple.

How many premeditated, over-organized, glorified bonfires do people need in one week?

I saw that video of Paul Addis going on about the war. He's pretty crazy acting--all pissed off. Just look at his eyes. Weird.

But I have to admit I laughed tuesday when I arrived and heard about it.
The whole thing is over-organized anyway. A moderately entertaining event at the end of an amazing week.

Here's radical self-reliance: see a big thing on fire, don't stand near or under it or you may get burned/marred/killed.

I can grok that, if only in a vaguely familar manner.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:55 am

i read on MySpace that Larry and Paul were longtime lovers, and that this was a domestic dispute...
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:53 am

lighten up Francis!
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby barnz » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:46 pm

transgirl wrote:This guy will end up a felon and be disbarred for burning a big stick figure that was going to burn anyway.

Well, he certainly won't care about being disbarred. As of a couple years ago he was working as a file clerk in my wife's law firm, because lawyering "interfered with his Rock & Roll." :o
~~~~~~~~
known on the Playa (especially Ranger Radios) as HOOPY FROOD.

"A towel … is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have." – Douglas Adams
barnz

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:00 pm

If he is disbarred, does this mean eventually he gets to be re-bar'd?

And if so, who's the lucky person who gets to do it? Raffle off chances to wield the rebar?

Actually, I think it sounds as if he has psychological, possibly psychiatric problems. Perhaps he need a nice time out in one of our faith based psychiatric facilities. I hear Lobotomies, Electric shock therapy, body chemical manipulation, and various other radical procedures are all the rage in those... as long as science is not used as a basis for treatment.

The felon part will suck until he gets his civil rights reinstated, *if* he ever does. Plus, it will limit his opportunities, as a lot of law firms are laothe to hire a convicted felon as their ability to maintain confidentiality are suspect in a lot of cases.

I suspect it wil get pleaded down to a gross misdemeanor eventually. Or NG-I, as forementioned.

Sus.
Lassen Forge

Postby barnz » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:14 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote: a lot of law firms are laothe to hire a convicted felon

I get the feeling he's not going back to the legal profession by mutual agreement....
~~~~~~~~
known on the Playa (especially Ranger Radios) as HOOPY FROOD.

"A towel … is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have." – Douglas Adams
barnz

Postby spectabillis » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:55 pm

spectabillis wrote:right now i am not putting much faith in rumors and speculation, despite if they come from someone who says they talked with paul addis or anyone who spoke with someone who was there. i guess i would consider a formal interview as credible since many journalists have some basic sense of integrity. many, but not all.

from - http://techgnosis.com/chunks.php?sec=jo ... 1824-0.txt

According to Harvey, there were not only people beneath the structure when the man was set aflame, but some people who were kinda out of it and needed active assistance from the Rangers who had entered the structure beneath the burning figure—Rangers Harvey considers heroes.

whats strange about it, this is the first time i heard anything like this, even after asking a few rangers and someone with ems. not one person has stepped foreward so if its true it needs to be testimony in the court case. if that doesnt happen then i dont believe the reference.
spectabillis

Postby Toolmaker » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:08 pm

spectabillis wrote:
spectabillis wrote:right now i am not putting much faith in rumors and speculation, despite if they come from someone who says they talked with paul addis or anyone who spoke with someone who was there. i guess i would consider a formal interview as credible since many journalists have some basic sense of integrity. many, but not all.

from - http://techgnosis.com/chunks.php?sec=jo ... 1824-0.txt

According to Harvey, there were not only people beneath the structure when the man was set aflame, but some people who were kinda out of it and needed active assistance from the Rangers who had entered the structure beneath the burning figure—Rangers Harvey considers heroes.

whats strange about it, this is the first time i heard anything like this, even after asking a few rangers and someone with ems. not one person has stepped foreward so if its true it needs to be testimony in the court case. if that doesnt happen then i dont believe the reference.

You must have missed my posts here..

viewtopic.php?p=339845&highlight=#339845

and later on here..

viewtopic.php?p=340098&highlight=#340098

I may have even mentioned it somewhere else. I was lucky enough to be camping in a part of the city full of DPW and Rangers and got to hear the truth the next morning.

Now you know.. and knowing is half the battle. Does this change your opinion on communal beatings at all? Please don't.. I rather enjoy having a devils advocate about, makes for lively discussion and funny remarks from all.
Toolmaker

Postby spectabillis » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:32 pm

no i didnt see that, but what you never mentioned is directly talking with others who were there. with all the rest of the innuendos and rumors you cant separate that out unless you're more specific, which is why i said hearing from someone involved is so important.

who was working directly underneath? who was asleep? why are there others who said there were very few around and directly contradict that anyone was passed out or asleep? why do they contradict someone needed assistance?

but is my mind changed about a communal beating?

absolutely not and its even more solid in my beliefs. its fucking disgusting to see people devolve into hateful beliefs and behavior like angry drone bees stirred into a frenzy from someone upsetting the cultish hivemind. for a phenomenon that actively promotes itself as a socially progressive community, well, it obviously failed in that respect. unless you want to try and convince me that rape, being burned alive, beaten and dragged behind a pickup truck, getting twenty years in prison, electric shock therapy.. are socially progressive forms of criminal rehabilitation. its not, thats reverting to some dark ages form of vigelante justice. hence "communal beating."

granted, most is people just venting their frustrations, but that automatic hivemind mentality also shows how much people have lost their open perspective to an entertainment cult, and how burningman has become more similar to the default world than it can claim as separate.
spectabillis

Postby BigCock » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:18 pm

I hadn't read those posts Toolmaker. Hell fire there buddy. Woo-hoo.

And I also missed this a few posts down:
robbidobbs wrote:The real story was not about the twit, but about how DPW pulled the LLC's ass out of the fire. Damn! We did it right this time.

Names I've heard the 2nd Man's being called this year:
Contingency Plan Man
Plan B Man
Resurrection/Phoenix Man
Pull the LLC's Ass Out of the Fire Man
and my personal favorite (from Dave Best)
Green Man My Ass Man
BigCock

Postby Toolmaker » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:11 am

BigCock wrote:I hadn't read those posts Toolmaker. Hell fire there buddy. Woo-hoo.

And I also missed this a few posts down:
robbidobbs wrote:The real story was not about the twit, but about how DPW pulled the LLC's ass out of the fire. Damn! We did it right this time.

Names I've heard the 2nd Man's being called this year:
Contingency Plan Man
Plan B Man
Resurrection/Phoenix Man
Pull the LLC's Ass Out of the Fire Man
and my personal favorite (from Dave Best)
Green Man My Ass Man

My favorite was BrothaMan.. keep the fucker as is and put a wig on him. I cannot recall where the idea originally came from but it was funny at the time. I think adding the phoenix was pretty classy.

As far as a headcount goes Spec.. I can't help ya there. All I had heard was that some folks were crashed from being pretty much whipped from the previous weeks work. I did hear that security was lax due to the crowd somewhere else staring at the moon.

MOON that spells open season on the man.
Toolmaker

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:26 am

If you were at the commisary that morning...

the wørd going around there was...

"Datotay".

Think abouttit.
Lassen Forge

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:53 am

The Conspiracy Theory....

now i'm just an average burner, minding my own business, but i know what i saw...

right before the first burn, i saw what appeared to be a flash, from the sandy knoll, where what LOOKED like three hippies were standing around...

only thing, they did'nt SMELL like hippies...

next thing i know, the man is ablaze and all helco is breaking loose...

now i'm not an engineer, but if YOU BELIEVE THE SINGLE MATCH THEORY, YOU'RE FUCKING CRAZY

i've got to go, there's a knock at my door...be right back...

IT WAS NO ONE.....NO ONE KNOCKED ON MY DOOR.....I AM DEPRESSED AND AM GOING TO SLASH MY WRISTS 11 times ON THE RIGHT AND 12 times ON THE LEFT, LIKE DANNY CASALARO. I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE THREE HIPPIES AND I AM DELUSIONAL. GOODBYE FAMILY AND FRIENDS, I AM DEPRESSED, DID I MENTION THAT?

THE 9-11 HIJACKERS ALL WORKED FOR AL-QUEDA, AND SAMMY DAVIS JR. WAS ACTUALLY TALENTED. YOU CAN SEE THAT THIS NOTE IS TRUE AND NOT DICTATED, AS IT IS ALL TRUE. GOODBYE CRUEL PLAYA.

SIMMON.
Simon of the Playa

Postby ZaphodBurner » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:47 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:The Conspiracy Theory....
right before the first burn, i saw what appeared to be a flash, from the sandy knoll, where what LOOKED like three hippies were standing around...

only thing, they did'nt SMELL like hippies... next thing i know, the man is ablaze and all helco is breaking loose...

now i'm not an engineer, but if YOU BELIEVE THE SINGLE MATCH THEORY, YOU'RE FUCKING CRAZY

This fits right in with my ideas. I should note that I'm a fully-qualified conspiracy theorist because I wasn't there, but somebody I talked to on the internet was. (you)

But it doesn't matter that I wasn't there because George Bush burned the man via three COINTELPRO CIA operatives dressed as hippies. They weren't real hippies, they were Halliburton Hippies, straight from the secret Halliburton Hippie Headquarters in the Haight. (Why do you think it rhymes with "hate"?)

Plus there's no way a lone LAWYER could have done it because he's not trained in the dark art of arson. Sound possible? Unless you can prove me wrong, you must acquit.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Valkyrie » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:48 pm

There was not one, but 5 flashes! It must be a conspiracy!
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.
Valkyrie

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:55 pm

that was camp menopause, those were hot flashes....
Simon of the Playa

Postby NeonBunny » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:09 pm

Adding my 2 cents to the topic:

Wise words posted in tribe.net-

"Behavior praised is, unfortunately, behavior imitated."

We all love that burning man is about art. But if I was an artist, especially one who works with wood, I would think twice about bringing my work to the playa. And if I do, I would plan on spending the entire week protecting it from yahoo's who just don't get it, and think it's cool to torch other people's art.

Such as the artist Timeless, who's futuristic wood sculpture of the statue of liberty was torched on Sunday night.

Yes, next year expect to see much less art, and much more vandalism and mindless destruction. Thank you Paul, you have managed to inspire the Yahoo element of burning man like never before.
NeonBunny

Postby diane o'thirst » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:52 pm

NeonBunny wrote:If I was an artist, especially one who works with wood, I would think twice about bringing my work to the playa. And if I do, I would plan on spending the entire week protecting it from yahoo's who just don't get it, and think it's cool to torch other people's art.

Bing-fucking-O.

Wolf out.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy