Support for Paul

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:44 pm

Would you support me, if I'd burned a church, starting at the steeple?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby spectabillis » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:02 pm

no bob, you forget the theme... its has to be a mosque.
spectabillis
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 am
Location: parallel cortex sensory stream interface

Postby Toolmaker » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:12 am

and the hits keep on coming here on EPLA radio.
Toolmaker
 
Posts: 2512
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:44 pm

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:12 am

can we build a duplicate of L.A, kinda like New York New York in vegas, then dress up in blackface and burn THAT?

i mean, cant we all just GET ALONG?


i can hear you cringing thru the T1 lines....
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 16150
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

energy vampire

Postby Stryder » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:37 pm

And what was the arsonistas message anyway? I'm not clear on exactly the point he was trying to make.
Oh, now I remember! He is planning on opening his 'one man show' in October, where he pretends to be Hunter S. Thompson, and needed publicity!
Ha! The arsonista can't even invent himself a persona. He has to suck the life from someone else. Seems like thats what he does best...
"Look, good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living, that's something else."
Stryder
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: San Francisco

Postby vertigo900 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:17 am

Full auto machine guns are legal to own and operate in the state of Nevada as well as other states as long as you have a Class 3 Firearms license.
User avatar
vertigo900
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:59 am

Postby BigCock » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:20 am

Bob wrote:
Exodus 22:6

If fire break out, and catch in thorns, so that the stacks of corn, or the standing corn, or the field, be consumed therewith; he that kindled the fire shall surely make restitution.


Psalm 74:7,8

They have cast fire into thy sanctuary, they have defiled by casting down the dwelling place of thy name to the ground. They said in their hearts, Let us destroy them together: they have burned up all the synagogues of God in the land.


Holy shit!
You can break the rules, but don't mess with THE LAW.
User avatar
BigCock
 
Posts: 2249
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: in yer pants

Postby diane o'thirst » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:28 pm

Getting back to the topic at hand...

Talked with a Burner friend at Saturday Market this afternoon. He had the following news to relate:

When he logged onto the arsonist's "manifesto" page on Laughing Squid, his machine got infected with no less than three Trojan Horse viruses.

I didn't get them because I'm on a Mac. He was on a PC. So a heads-up to anyone who a) Is on a PC, and b) Hasn't gone to check out the arsonist's "from my angle" diatribe on Laughing Squid. And if you have gone and your PC's been acting whonky, that's probably why. Run your anti-virus.

Not saying "he did it." But someone did. Heads up.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
diane o'thirst
 
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:04 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Burning the Man was Safe?

Postby Stagger » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:34 pm

In all the talk about how it was either a safe thing to do, or not a safe thing to do, I have to wonder one thing. Did Paul Addis, prior to setting fire to the Man, test the flamability characteristics of the material that made up the pavilion. Did he know in advance that the material would not instantly catch fire, thus trapping anyone inside? I have this vision of molten, flaming gobs of plastic like material falling on people under the tent.

I'm glad it did not happen that way, but the question remains... We all know how well the Man burns... Did he know how the rest of the pavilion material was going to burn? If not, that's evidence of endangering others right there.
http://www.stagger.net

I was born naked and penniless. And look what I have managed to do since then.
User avatar
Stagger
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:50 pm
Location: Alpharetta, GA

paul

Postby thirt33n » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:01 pm

go away paul
you lose
blow.
User avatar
thirt33n
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:13 pm
Location: north
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby spectabillis » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:53 pm

If not, that's evidence of endangering others right there.


just seems a continuation of the same argument.

anyone know what he's specifically chaged with? i have been constantly searching for references but cant find any.
spectabillis
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 am
Location: parallel cortex sensory stream interface

Postby [CDS] topher » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:37 am

spectabillis wrote:anyone know what he's specifically chaged with? i have been constantly searching for references but cant find any.


"Addis, who's been charged with the felony of arson..."
"the premature incinerator, released on some $3,000 in bail..."

Reference: http://valleywag.com/tech/paul-addis/
---
] Camp Cul-de-Sac
] Building Community Since 1997
[CDS] topher
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:50 am
Location: Boulder, Colorado

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:54 am

paul's 15 minutes of fame ended WEEKS ago....

chances are he not only reads, but is ARCHIVING all the press and chatter about him...


i bet he masturbates in front of the mirror too....


it's a short person thing, like napolean, or ross perot, or pat sajak....

i'm going on a NO PAUL or RUE PAUL (oh god, he did-int) kick and deny him the attention he obviously craves....

can we talk about the DISTINCT POSSIBILiTY that PAT BOONE may do a gig on the PLAYA next year?

now thats HOT!
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 16150
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby spectabillis » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:59 am

the valleywag link only mentions one thing, but the ebay auction refers to two additional charges.
spectabillis
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 am
Location: parallel cortex sensory stream interface

Postby Finnegan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:28 pm

Wow. I leave you kids alone for a *minute* and look what happens!

Spec: Are you insane? Give a short declarative answer, and provide substantiation and references. You appear to be so from your posts.

Are you really arguing that because nobody was actually killed and or spindled and mutilated, that "there was no crime"?

I didn't think so. That would be insane.

Are you arguing that there was no danger of anyone being seriously injured, and therefore, it was not a crime? That has been debunked already, by witnesses.

I guess i don't grok your argument at all, aside from you proving to be a semantic, legalistic asshole. Please enlighten.

For my part, i slept through the whole episode. But my take is, This is a wonderful re-enactment of the Grinch Who Stole Christmas.

The man had burned, but what was that sound? The Whos were singing! And rebuilding.

Fuck this *arsonist* and the horse he rode in on. Drama whores are always unwelcome. Burn your own shit next time. When you get out. Heh.

Does he deserve 20 years? (And i have no idea where that number comes from..) No. And please don't call homeland brownshirt security! It's not terrism, but it certainly is felony arson.

Sheesh.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
User avatar
Finnegan
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:29 pm

Postby spectabillis » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:26 pm

Finnegan wrote:Are you really arguing that because nobody was actually killed and or spindled and mutilated, that "there was no crime"?

where did i say there was no crime?

Are you arguing that there was no danger of anyone being seriously injured, and therefore, it was not a crime? That has been debunked already, by witnesses.

what witnesses? and what spefically did they say?

And please don't call homeland brownshirt security! It's not terrism, but it certainly is felony arson.

did you read the comments on the items up for auction on ebay? its not verified so i have my doubts, but mentions he has been charged with a terrorist related crime.

right now i am not putting much faith in rumors and speculation, despite if they come from someone who says they talked with paul addis or anyone who spoke with someone who was there. i guess i would consider a formal interview as credible since many journalists have some basic sense of integrity. many, but not all.
spectabillis
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 am
Location: parallel cortex sensory stream interface

Re: Paul's offence was not the message, it was the medium

Postby spectabillis » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:32 pm

spectabillis wrote:i would think this is evident, but if people were not put in serious harms way then there isnt a crime.

finn, after going back over i am guessing you were referring to this. but it was specifically about putting someone in serious harms way, not arson.


ed: and thanks for the asshole label.
spectabillis
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 am
Location: parallel cortex sensory stream interface

Paul Addis Video Interview

Postby rawbird » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:02 am

rawbird
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:33 pm
Location: venice, ca

Postby wannaberavin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:49 am

He is a wild man!! Good video. I would trip out hanging out with him. He has a great sense of humor if nothing else at least.
When the Power of Love Overcomes the Love of Power the World Will Know Peace
User avatar
wannaberavin
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:57 am
Location: Neptune Beach, FL

Postby Kinetik V » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:05 am

A very interesting 17:39 clip...

This clip offers a backstory that was missing..or that I had chose to ignore.

I wonder if anyone else will sit through it...and will their mind be open when they do it. And let me put it this way...I hope he wins his lawsuit. It makes sense.

Edit: 15:50 seconds into the clip....listen. Crude Awakening was good, but it didn't rise to the level of being main event status.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
User avatar
Kinetik V
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby wannaberavin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:12 am

It makes perfect sense. I didnt know the background and hadnt judged because of so. But now with watching ALL of that, it makes perfect sense.

11:50 seconds into the clip for about 30 seconds... Listen to his humor about the incident. He kills me. I would have died laughing if I would of seen that.
When the Power of Love Overcomes the Love of Power the World Will Know Peace
User avatar
wannaberavin
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:57 am
Location: Neptune Beach, FL

Postby Rat Bastard » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:01 pm

I support 20 years for Spectabillis.

Why? He still can't seem to grasp that no conviction has been passed and no sentence has been given. 20 is the max punishment. Arson can be something as small as a garbage can fire or as large as a factory fire. Depending on the damage done, costs of recovery, danger to people, loss of business or money, loss of items, loss of life etc., a sentence will be set accordingly. Paul Addis will probably get 6 months and probation. If he has a good lawyer he will get probation most likely. He does have the option of pleading insanity. Fox news would back him up with their coverage of the Burn. Fox stated that everyone was on LSD. So there's your insanity plea.

Unfortunately I don't have the time that Specta has to read and post all day every day. So I skipped most of the pages on this thread and just wanted to make my point and to ask this question.

What would be fair punishment for Paul? He set fire to property that wasn't his damaging not only the Man (an art piece) but also the shade structure beneith it. Which would be re-used in the future had it not had a bunch of burn holes in it. He caused emotional distress for 1000s. He caused emergency services to be dispached (there's a charge for shit like that in the real world). He did not set up a safe perimiter prior to lighting it, therefore endangered lives aside from his own. His actions required another man to be built which included more hours on cranes that were rented, wood, hardware, lighting, tools and more power to do so. He also gave a great opertunity to people like Fux News to bash the BM community at a new level.

The World Trade Center would eventually someday be torn down due to age and structual reliability. Something else would be built in it's place. If we used Spectabillis' logic, we would stop searching for Bin Laden cause, really they would knock it down later anyway.

I think Paul needs to pay the costs of Man2, shade structure, emergency services and any other damage costs. Then a public appology ordered by the court. Court costs. And finally, I'd say 2 years in jail and perminant ban from BM and all BM related events.

Thanks to Paul, all our ticket costs just went up for next year.
Read my posts with a grain of salt.
User avatar
Rat Bastard
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby spectabillis » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:42 pm

Rat Bastard wrote:He still can't seem to grasp that no conviction has been passed and no sentence has been given.

wtf?
If we used Spectabillis' logic, we would stop searching for Bin Laden cause, really they would knock it down later anyway.

wtf x2?

i read where you didnt read everything which is probably the reason, but if you are going to directly refer to me i would appreciate keeping from making incorrect assumptions. they are getting so far out there i am not going to correct them. you know.. because if you are using Spectabillis' logic people should be free to burn babies and kittens.. yeah, right.
spectabillis
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 am
Location: parallel cortex sensory stream interface

Postby Rat Bastard » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:45 pm

I would suggest you re-read your OWN posts Specta. Then comment on why everyone has had something to say about you.

There's an old saying in life:
If one person tells you "you look like a horse"
Ignore them.
If a second person says "you look like a horse"
Sluff it off, it's their opinion.
If mutiple people tell you "you look like a horse"
It's time to look in the fucking mirror.

RB
Read my posts with a grain of salt.
User avatar
Rat Bastard
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:10 pm

hey rat, i heard a different version....

if it looks like shit, smells like shit, and TASTES like shit, don't step in it...


i watched that video, and was torn between the notion of a radical utopia that has long since passed, and the necessity of compromise in order to achieve sustainability...

same argument that went on after Helco in 96'...


i agree with him, and i disagree with his methods....

i understand the melancholia over something lost, and the yearning to return to things that never will.

he is also delusional, and obviously has a hunter thompson fetish, right down to the cig holder...

he should not be glamorized....he feeds on it....he should admit to wrongdoing, even if it was a "good" cause....the end did not justify the means by any measure, and i'm afraid of copycat activity next year.


we dont need that kind of shit, so lets collectively NOT step in it.
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 16150
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby The CO » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:08 pm

...

Part of it is the editing, but to me he comes across as suffering from ADHD, bi-polar, & some delusions of granduer. And his HST shtick annoys me. A lot. JMHO.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
User avatar
The CO
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: I-CORPS, M*A*S*H HQ
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Postby spectabillis » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:23 pm

Rat Bastard wrote:I would suggest you re-read your OWN posts Specta. Then comment on why everyone has had something to say about you.

its because i am willing to defend taking a widely unpopular approach, which seems to have the effect on some to make overgeneralizations and incorrect assumptions. whats really strange is how thats combined with resentments and hate - made obvious by name calling and inferences of just about everyting from stupidity to insensitivity.

but i dont imagine that you will get that, or care. its easier to push indignation if you can wrongly associate a person with a criminal or crime. weird how people make these things personal, maybe it helps to make me less of a human being.
spectabillis
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 am
Location: parallel cortex sensory stream interface

Postby Toolmaker » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:01 am

Kinetic V wrote:A very interesting 17:39 clip...

This clip offers a backstory that was missing..or that I had chose to ignore.

I wonder if anyone else will sit through it...and will their mind be open when they do it. And let me put it this way...I hope he wins his lawsuit. It makes sense.

Edit: 15:50 seconds into the clip....listen. Crude Awakening was good, but it didn't rise to the level of being main event status.


1) Backstory is not relavent. The man was not his to burn. The statements he is making are not making him look any better.

2) I really did try.. youtube DIY flicks are more my speed. Oh yeah.. those PyroBeat youtube vids are neat too.

3) Crude Awakening was the coolest thing EVER to hit the playa. 15 mins after the clip started I had already closed it and went on to masturbate like a zoo monkey to internet porn. I think I probably had a better time than you did watching the arsonist try to defend his attack against us.
Toolmaker
 
Posts: 2512
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:44 pm

Postby Rat Bastard » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:21 am

[quote="spectabillis"] maybe it helps to make me less of a human being.[/quote]

Maybe. Tell it like it is dude. Your devil's advocate all over these boards. You seem to be the king of the unpopular opinion. Whatever floats your boat. The only thing that's keeping you off the ignore switch is the desire to know what others are talking about pertaining to your remarks. You go girl!

Toolmaker,
You definately saw what I saw. ADHD or whatever. The I'd like to hear what he has to say when he's been off of the hard drugs for more then a week. Delusional. I want to hear the spot where he said, "No dude, that's not on. Is it? Don't print that. No way, you have to delete that." The dude is an idiot and the sad thing is, he thinks he cool. Possibly cause he keeps everyone near him high. So they'll never complain against him and will always say he's the coolest.

And that laugh. If that's not from Fast Times @...

Fuckin white trash hippie if you ask me. Fuck em. Let HIM burn.

RB
Read my posts with a grain of salt.
User avatar
Rat Bastard
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby spectabillis » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:09 am

nice hate machine you got rollin rb, well oiled and chrome polished.
spectabillis
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 am
Location: parallel cortex sensory stream interface

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests