Will the Org respond to the 2.0 controversy?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:37 pm

[quote="DaBomb"]I'm must waiting for somebody to say the "c" word./quote]

Cooch! (drink), there, its been said.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Barbie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:50 pm

Where is that Troll when you need him????
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:48 pm

actiongrl wrote:
the end

And on top of it all, I have it on good authority that a man in a hat signed up for his first ePlaya account the other night AND that he has been hard at work on a response to all this stuff for several days, and that certainly there's more to say.

Thanks!

Wow, Lincoln has been reincarnated!

I had thought that Larry has always been an Eplayan. Isn't that why his name and likeness has always been restricted on Eplaya? I couldn't even use "Larry Penis" as a sock!

Now all recent newbies will be suspect!

He may have already created Socks!

Beware!!!
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby spectabillis » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:49 pm

he's been banished by the community to tribe
spectabillis

Postby technopatra » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:58 pm

I'm only here because DaBomb posted a link and I can't tell you how happy I am that I'm not on staff anymore so that I'm not beholden to their rules and can step back and say:

My GOD what a lot of whiny worms you all continue to be! If you are so damaged by what the org is doing to "your" community, then have the guts to go do something on your own! You cry and bitch and moan and cry some more, but it appears that you are all too scared, limited, or dependent to see beyond this event.

If you spent HALF the energy working on your own projects that you do moaning about burning Man -- it's been at least, what, *three years* since I left the eplaya, and it's SAME bitchfest, different day -- you'd be running the goddamn planet by now.

You have energy, you have power, and you CLEARLY have time to burn, so why not use it for something productive instead of badgering the staff that is still working hard to make this event that you are so unhealthily attached to? I mean, seriously, don't you get bored saying the same things over and over again? You could make MAD LIBS out of any of these threads.

I really wish you could see Burning Man as just the beginning, rather than just a counterculture security blanket. YOU ALREADY KNOW how to build and nurture community, so why are you STILL looking to the Org to do it for you?

Sorry I won't be around to feel the impotent non-heat of your flames, but I've got work to do.
technopatra

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:12 pm

Yes, you have sooo much work to do that you had time to read all the posts, make "mad libs" out of them, and make a post pointing fingers and making blanket statements...

...But not enough time to face up to the replies to your own post.

Credit where credit is due sweetheart, and you're bankrupt.

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Dork » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:29 pm

Technopatra, if you do come back here to read replies I gotta ask - why does our complaining about something the ORG is doing make you so angry? Your post here and call to Burncast were full of such hate. All we're doing is objecting to a trend we feel will harm the event we all love so much. I'm sure this is a bit of a pain in the ass to the people who are still on staff and don't want their decisions questioned, but how is it affecting you? Do you really believe in what the ORG is trying to do here but simply can't put the words together to explain why, or is it that you think any questioning of anything they do is harmful?

I'm genuinely curious why this particular debate has prompted you to lash out like this.
Dork

Postby DaBomb » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:10 pm

spectabillis wrote:he's been banished by the community to tribe

technopatra wrote:If you are so damaged by what the org is doing to "your" community, then have the guts to go do something on your own!

Kids...you know what to do!

::hiccup::
Love & Rockets,
DaBomb
http://www.BURNcast.tv
DaBomb

Postby Zulegoona » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:12 pm

Right, Nap time everybody get your mats
Zulegoona

Postby Archantael » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:58 pm

Technopatra, thanks for reminding us of how much things have improved since your departure. The emotional instability and downright nasty attitude are not missed.

So...in the 3 years that you've been away what have you been doing? Got an LLC of your own yet? Can you make any claims to have influenced anything beyond your own circle of friends and that one sympathetic anti-smoking post that got crossposted to the 3playa? I know I can and many others can. Before bringing out that broad brush and painting the active posting group of the eplaya as a bunch of whiners, perhaps you should get yourself up to speed on things before opening your mouth and inserting your foot. And as far as you stuck it this time, I hope you can breathe.

One last thing. Anger management and counseling. Go get some.

~~~~~~~~
Kinetic
>>>>>>>>
I can, I do, I have, and I will.
Archantael

Postby Sensei » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:42 pm

For the love of dog, don't even try to speak for me with that "us" crap.

Techno, you rock. I want to thank your momma.
Sensei

Postby Archantael » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:02 pm

There's always gotta be a vocal minority somewhere.....
Archantael

Postby Chai Guy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:03 pm

OK Kids let's play.....

Technopatra's Eplaya Mad Libs!

I need:

An adjective:

A first name of an LLC Staff member:

A Theme Camp Name:

Another adjective:

One of the 10 Principles:

A verb ending in -ed:

An emotional state:

Some piece of Playa Infrastructure (trash fence, JOTs, Center Camp etc):

A noun:

Verb ending in -ing:

A verb:

An impressive number:

A plural noun:

A fascist regime:

Another adjective:

A Number between 1-100:

Another noun:

A verb:

Another number between 1-100:

Your friend's Playa Name:

Your Favorite Recreational Drug:

Yet another adjective:
Chai Guy

Postby MikeVDS » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:25 pm

Hi. I've come here to bitch about you bitching. No irony here; please move along.
MikeVDS

Postby Toolmaker » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:29 pm

/me runs around the thread with a cattle prod.

you heard im.. move along
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Bob » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:22 am

Funny -- I can't imagine anybody more responsible for the tenor & comportment of the current eplaya than technopatra & the people for whom she used to work.

That's the magic of Burning Man for you.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Archantael » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:46 am

Bob wrote:Funny -- I can't imagine anybody more responsible for the tenor & comportment of the current eplaya than technopatra & the people for whom she used to work.

That's the magic of Burning Man for you.

Bob, Your perception of reality and mine are quite different and we'll just have to agree to disagree. I will give her credit for helping to lay the groundwork for some of the positive changes that have happened on here...however that time was also marked by situations and scenarios that left a few people with a very poor impression of her qualifications to be in any kind of authoritative position.

Again, thank dog we currently have a moderator team that's more effective and less drama prone.
Archantael

Postby DaBomb » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:17 am

What were we talking about?
Love & Rockets,
DaBomb
DaBomb

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:27 am

...Donkey Fucking, of course!

oh yeah, since I am thirsty, let's make that COMMUNITY Donkey Fucking!

(do you have your donkey costume yet?)
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:25 am

technopatra wrote:I'm only here because DaBomb posted a link and I can't tell you how happy I am that I'm not on staff anymore so that I'm not beholden to their rules and can step back and say:

I can't tell you how happy I am now that I can use the Avatar that you threatened to ban me for:

Simpsons Rule!

Welcome to Springfield PLaya, Honey!

technopatra wrote:I really wish you could see Burning Man as just the beginning, rather than just a counterculture security blanket.

Sorry I won't be around to feel the impotent non-heat of your flames, but I've got work to do.

Megalomaniacs just want to rule the world time to get to work!

AIIZ

PS- Tribe SUCKS
as well as that Jason guy that moderates the trible's BM threads- he's just like you Techno- a nazi!
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Archantael » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:53 am

So...we're still sitting here waiting for "The Hatted One" to make an appearance. I'm not holding my breath, chances are he won't be able to do or say anything in here for fear of alienating the companies he is trying to get to buy into the event.
Archantael

Postby bmix » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:32 pm

Archantael wrote:So...we're still sitting here waiting for "The Hatted One" to make an appearance. I'm not holding my breath, chances are he won't be able to do or say anything in here for fear of alienating the companies he is trying to get to buy into the event.

That's ok, for me at least. I never really expected anyone in an official position to post here. My thoughts were that someone from the Org might read the thread and actually think about the discontent within the ranks and post something elsewhere. At the time, there was lots of activity all over the place concerning various aspects of this issue, but there really wasn't a call for an official response, at least not that I could see. AG posted Larry's remarks on Tribe (which I thought was kinda odd that it wasn't here, but I do believe they were indeed his remarks as he has a fairly distinctive writing style). This was a good start, and was enough to at least temporarily shut me up. I am still, however, bringing extra lighters to gift to others.

The post didn't completely address my issues, of course. I believe it was an attempt at some kind of a response to the whole ball-o-wax, and not a response to me bitching personally. I do have some delusions of grandeur, but this is not one of them.
bmix

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Tikiplex-12

Postby Isotopia » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:42 pm

I honestly don't understand why he might feel compelled to explain anything to anyone for any reason. People are gonna believe what they want to believe and sometimes people aren't owed any fucking explanation for the actions of anyone else unless, perhaps, those actions have a direct causal impact on people.

If I were the man I'd just let people keep on with their fucking whining about the 2.0 article. There're better things to be doing than having to salve the wounds or wipe away the tears of your little devotees.
Isotopia

Postby Archantael » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:08 pm

Introducing commerce into the event has no direct effect upon people, none whatsoever?

Please.

The camel has his nose under this tent and denying the fact does everyone a disservice. People are asking for answers, legitimate answers, and while it may be the ORG's right to remain silent, it's also the community's right to turn around and crucify them for their decision in the media and the court of public opinion where perception more often than not trumps facts.

Bottom line, the community got to where it is today not by fiat but by discussion and inclusion. All that's being asked for is more of the same.
Archantael

Postby DaBomb » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:50 pm

Here's the thing:

I think this is a step in the right direction. Burning Man was featured in B2.0 it is a business that is operating in a new and innovative fashion. Maybe not as radically new as it would like to believe, but nevertheless, you gotta admit it's different.

I think we all can agree that BM the event changes every year...as it should. Well, likewise I commend the growth of the LLC. It has been a long time coming.

I also think that LH's purported presence here on ePlaya (if it is in fact true) is a positive result of all the controversy. I support this move and hope that it develops and flourish. I am loathe to think that the archaic Corporation v. the Community business model (i.e. Walmart) is how BM will continue to operate. If it does, then I really do believe the sky will fall (again...).

When new things get introduced to say the Mac community (!) Steve Jobs puts on a show and presents it to the world.

Even our President (be that as he may) makes a State of the Union Address every year. Say what you want about the messenger, but he does deliver a message! (ook! ook!)

If LH did this, I think this bumpy ride could have been averted, IMHO.

My two cents. Your mileage may vary.

And don't forget to DRINK!
Love & Rockets,
DaBomb
DaBomb

Postby madmatt » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:40 pm

This thread is now officially...BOOOOOORRRRRRIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!
madmatt

Postby Barbie » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:43 pm

Yea it is......Monkeys and donkey fucking tehethehhehttee
Barbie

Postby actiongrl » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:25 am

Da Bomb just said one of the most rational and reasoned things in the whole dialogue that this has sparked, and now it's boring? Geez! :)
actiongrl

Postby K-mom » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:57 am

She sure did ..

DaBomb wrote:don't forget to DRINK!
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.
K-mom

Postby Barbie » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:31 am

Yes Da-bomb does is the DA-BOMB!!!! I just have other things on my mind like working on my Monkey Outfit...
Barbie

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy