Burning Man-- Change the dates? Or not?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Would changing the dates make your life easier?

No thank you, don't change anything.
51%
I am a student and BM falls on the first week or two of school.
7%
I am a teacher/professor/educator and BM falls on the first week or two of school.
10%
I am a parent of a school aged child and BM falls on the first week or two of school.
10%
My partner is a student or educator, and the current dates make it difficult for us to attend BM.
6%
I would like the dates changed for other reasons.
17%

Total votes : 120

Postby TheJudge » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:51 am

stu wrote:Has anyone realized that, no matter what the date, there will be people who cannot attend? What about the students who have summer jobs that they quit in order to attend BM, only losing a week of work? How will they be able to go if they must work for the bulk of the summer?

You mean like a real job? Oh the humanity!
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

What about adding days?

Postby pford » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:53 am

Instead of changing the dates, what about adding to the beginning? that way BM 2004 could be 2 weeks??
Pat
pford

Postby TheJudge » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:07 pm

My guess is that if the event were two weeks long instead of just one, you would have a lot more problems, not to mention the costs of running that long might be prohibitive. BLM charges over half a million for one week. You can bet they would want a bigger piece of the pie if the event were longer.

Part of the reason why BRC seems to have that utopian feel to it is because its only one week out in the middle of nowhere. I think people would start to get on eachother's nerves a bit.

My guess is that by the end of the second week, the place would be a city full of broken/malfunctionging equipment and cranky, dried up participants.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy