ticketless burners, gatekeepers, and money

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Getting in, getting off, going home

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:23 am

I'm heartened to hear that you had a good Gate experience, and yes, having it printed on the ticket that entrance in dependent upon submitting (pun intended) to a search. If the participant doesn't cop an attitude, I treat it like a game, and compliment them on their tight packing job, or their nice RV, or their taste in beer.
"I am making sure that no alien life forms have crept aboard your vessel without your knowlege or permission" is the line I generally use to let folks know I don't care what kind of intoxicants they have (unless they want to share their beer), and I "riffle through their belongings" and proceed to do a "pelvic exam" on their vehicle. It can be fun for all concerned if both parties treat each other with respect.

As to why we need a 4pm count on Monday: the BLM requires it. If you're interested in learning more about census, volunteer with RadMan next year, as he has to do a ticket count every 4 hours 24/7, and can use some uninterrupted sleep at times.
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby Alpha » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:25 am

I'm looking for you next near, robbidobbs. The guy that searched our crammed SUV wasn't nearly as cheery, and we were so excited to be there I *know* we were all smiles to him.
Alpha

Postby rogue agent » Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:20 pm

So I'm at the Gate this year, right at the last big sign before you enter the city. It was late at night & we were waiting for a truck we came in with to clear inspection. I look out past the sign & see this car running in stealth mode, lights out at 5MPH, slowly working its way past all the buildings & fences & eventually towards us. There was just enough space in between our car & the sign for him to sqeak through - until I hopped out & stood in his way. I told one of my carmates to go chase down a gate staffer, which he quickly did. Staffer checks the guy out, sure enough he has no ticket & has to turn around. I became the instant hero of the group, especially the first-timer who was with us.

Next year I might volunteer for some shifts at the Gate.

RA
rogue agent

Re: Getting in, getting off, going home

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:53 am

robbidobbs wrote:
As to why we need a 4pm count on Monday: the BLM requires it. If you're interested in learning more about census, volunteer with RadMan next year, as he has to do a ticket count every 4 hours 24/7, and can use some uninterrupted sleep at times.

My question wasn't why it's needed, but how they could have come up with the number they did. If census was doing their job properly, then someone else wasn't.

It was really indiscreet of me to say anything anyway.
BlueBirdPoof

Re: Getting in, getting off, going home

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:55 am

BlueBirdPoof wrote:
robbidobbs wrote:

My question wasn't why it's needed, but how they could have come up with the number they did. If census was doing their job properly, then someone else wasn't.
It was really indiscreet of me to say anything anyway.

The only thing I can tell you is that there is no answer to your question. Like I said, if you're at all curious about census, RadMan can sure use your help. Gate is an excellent chill-space too: you can work and feel useful, get good feelings from the incoming people, and have a low-stress job that gets you FED!!!
robbidobbs

Postby Badger » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:28 am

If census was doing their job properly, then someone else wasn't.

Still find these kinds statement irritationg as fuck. It isn't a job. It is about volunteering. 90% of the time if something isn't getting done its usually due to someone not being familiar with the role/postion or not enough people stepping up to the plate to assist. Maybe I'm reading too much into the above but seems to me if the poster can say with so much certainty that someone wan't doing their job then perhaps that someone might benefit from having said poster show 'em how things are done.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:41 am

Badger wrote:

Still find these kinds statement irritationg as fuck. It isn't a job. It is about volunteering. 90% of the time if something isn't getting done its usually due to someone not being familiar with the role/postion or not enough people stepping up to the plate to assist. Maybe I'm reading too much into the above but seems to me if the poster can say with so much certainty that someone wan't doing their job then perhaps that someone might benefit from having said poster show 'em how things are done.

Okay then the negative 2000 people (plus or minus--I can't remember the exact figure) on the playa were just not doing their jobs and becoming un-people.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to be coy, I'm just not sure how much priviledge info I could spill--but I do want to know how they got minus persons on the playa. Yeah BRC was deserted--but not that deserted.
BlueBirdPoof

Postby Stormy » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:54 pm

Badger wrote:

Badger,

You are my hero!
Be the change you seek in the world.
Stormy

Postby diane o'thirst » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:27 pm

When I drove up, my car was loaded to the gills with luggage and to the rafters in my luggage rack, in addition to an overloaded utility trailer. The gatekeeper said, "I gotta check for stowaways...sorry, but they're really being intense about it this year."

So I'm sitting here in the car, nearly blown out from wrassling with my load all day from EugeneOregon, and I'm thinking, "Shit, is this person going to make me unload and then repack everything in my back, right here in the road?" Fortunately she didn't; I actually gave her my word of honour that there was no-one back there, and even if there was they'd probably be dead from internal organ rupture by now.

Myself, I think stowing away would be more trouble than it's worth. Maybe it's just my Capricorn sensibilities, but second-guessing and "preparing" to pay a fine and then gambling on not getting caught is just plain idiotic. It's simpler if you just pay for the ticket, put the extra money towards art or costumes or a cool/useful thing-gummy for your camp, and be done with it.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby que.f.o. » Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:01 am

I feel like I've missed out. We've shown up approx. 1PM on Monday for the last four years. Never once been hassled or searched. What the Fuck!! Don't we qualify as being weird enough? Maybe too fucking normal? This has got to change for 2004. Someone search us please.
Is it time to Burn yet?
que.f.o.

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:11 am

que.f.o. wrote: This has got to change for 2004. Someone search us please.

All you have to do is figure out what the obligatory bad joke is. The one that will set them off. You know, like joking about bombs at the airport.
BlueBirdPoof

Postby Kinetic II » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:44 am

The gate search for stowaways is a royal pain in the ass. Yeah, it might be helpful, even necessary, but any search should be handled with a little common sense. If you have a trailer packed to capacity and beyond, I don't exactly appreciate someone poking sticks down between the gaps of the boxes looking for people like the gate staff did on my trailer. She broke the glass on a Coleman lantern which I didn't know about until 3 hours later and I was thoroughly pissed about. Anyone with an IQ above thier shoe size would be able to see that with the type of containers I had in there, and the way they were packed it would have been physically impossible for any normal size person to have fit in their. I wasn't exactly hauling dwarfs but even they would have been unable to fit. (Overkill example but it gets the point across)

The gate staff are not the TSA but if their going to do the same kind of job and screen people, some updated training with an emphasis on communications skills and a supplemental BM styled performance art emphasis thrown in is a must.
Last edited by Kinetic II on Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinetic II

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:00 am

> ....this smells like the seeds of corruption....

Tennessee Williams is rolling in his grave.

BTW, I like the Sonny Corleone solution for gatecrashers and cranky ticket-holders. Customer Service is busy enough.
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby III » Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:14 pm

>I don't exactly appreciate someone

just be glad that the volunteer process moves those types out to the gate, so you only gotta deal with em once during your trip. you shoulda been around for the rangers in '98 & '99. whooo boy was that serious piece of fuck.

(yes, despite all my bitching, the org does make a lot of things better, too.)
III

Uh, huh. Whatever.

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:15 pm

Kinetic II wrote:
"The gate staff are not the TSA but if their going to do the same kind of job and screen people, some updated training with an emphasis on communications skills and a supplemental BM styled performance art emphasis thrown in is a must."

I love it when people w/o any experience in a given area spew forth like they know something.
Ahem...
1) Gate/Perimeter has updated training every year. Last year our fearless leader was Shiloh GateMaster. Give him suggestions if you'd like. He doesn't read eplaya. BTW: Gate isn't even slightly interested in non-confrontational anything. You'll get reasonably professional treatment, but little more if we're pushed. We are the business end of Burningman.
2) "BM styled perfomance art" is the responsibility and option of individuals, not edicted by policy. I personally make my whole LIFE performance art. Still, if you want art, go talk to the Greeters. "They're a couple miles up the road. Please drive under 5mph cause the roads are dusty."
3) The "job" of Gate is to rip tickets, search for stowaways, inform people of the basic rules, and keep the traffic flowing and off the pavement.
4) You'd be fucking surprised at the tiny, dangerous places people have tried to stow away in. Sometimes "caves" are prepared, and that place that a stick can go through is really an airhole.
5) Next year, jump out of your vehicle and lend a hand when Gate is ready to search your car-- to prove you're a participant, and not just a bitch.

"Lookin' for them stowaways,
Talkin' bout the potties.
Lovin' Black Rock Sunsets,
I'm schwing-shift Robbi."
robbidobbs

Postby Kinetic II » Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:56 pm

"No experience in a given area"...excuse me while I regain my composure from a round of hysterical laughter. Thanks for judging me on limited info. Are you sure that you have the open mind necessary to really enjoy BM? Hmmm!

The gate may be the "business end" of BM, but basic courtesy and respect are universal. Sometimes that is in short supply at the gate. While I know the gate has a job to do, a level attitude goes a lot farther than the Barney Bad-Ass approach.

I appreciate the enlightenment of your post and in other areas of the eplaya I admire what you do. But on this last thread, your attitude hit me the wrong way. It's no big deal, I'll get over it. And in fact I think I'll volunteer to work the gate next year so I can see for myself. I was thinking about it before leaving BRC this year. I've already worked as a Greeter and the BRCPO, the Gate would be even more interesting.

And for what it's worth, I did get out of the vehicle and opened everything up. I even offered baby wipes for all the playa dust they got on their hands from a door that got broke on Jungo Road, and I offered them sealed up but chilled water / orange juice / Kirin, Sapporo and a wide selection of Shiner Brewery's best, some of which was accepted. I teased one gate person about their costume and got smiles and a nice view of a very cute ass for my trouble. Anyway I'll stop by saying I know quite a bit about access control, crowd control and such...and I have already submitted some suggestions for improving the gate and some other areas. There are no spectators here.
Kinetic II

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:57 am

Ah, well.

Robbi, remind me to add an "EVERYTHING MAY BE POKED" sign up at point.
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Poke this!

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:36 pm

Bob wrote:Ah, well.

Robbi, remind me to add an "EVERYTHING MAY BE POKED" sign up at point.

THAT'S FUCKING BEAUTIFUL! Only wish we did have signs for Point. Maybe next year.

However, it should be on a button, soze we all at Gate can wear them on the front of our hats... like the "Where's my gift?" buttons.
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:34 pm

> Thanks for judging me on limited info.
No problem. Likening us to a federal agency did make me giggle a bit, grind my heels into the carpet and take off. What can I say, I love what I do. If you ever have a problem with Gate, there is a Shift Leader on the scene at all times.

>And in fact I think I'll volunteer to work the gate next year so I can see >for myself.
This is the best thing you've said so far. Given you have experience w/ the PO, then Gate should be fun for you.

> ...Kirin, Sapporo and a wide selection of Shiner Brewery's best, some of which was accepted.
Yeah! Beer is good food, although it may not be consumed while on shift, but that's a nice gesture. We're given strict instruction in our training to graciously accept gifts, and never to ask for stuff. (Hence the button)

> I teased one gate person about their costume and got smiles and a nice > view of a very cute ass for my trouble.
See, performance art at Gate is alive and well.

Thanks for sharing.
robbidobbs

Re: omm our moan

Postby harleyb » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:07 am

Diazo wrote:he spiraled up into the air and dissipated into a zillion tiny sparkling glitter pieces adorning every burners' hair and eyelashes. spreading the love like playa dust. so, it's ok now. remember all the good love vibes that happened out there without words. let's take a communal breath right now deep into the root chakra sex organs and omm our moan to heaven. let's fall in love and make burning m===================n our lover again.

Hey! We had to clean that shit up! ;)
harleyb

issue a ticket

Postby dj big E » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:08 am

very simply the facts are the majority of people that sneak in no if they get caught they wont get in trouble so i believe the same people try every year.In my opinion they ought to have the blm or local sherriffs issue a couple of defrauding an inkeeper tickets and send them home word will get out and it will cut down on the stowaways.allthough i have snuck into many events myself never even thought about doing it at bm just wouldnt feel wright.matter of fact i had financial difficulties this year and couldnt buy a ticket till the gate so i paid 350.00 and never thought about it just the price to play lol.Plus i suspect the majority of peeps that sneak in dont bring much to add to our city .
dj big E

Re: issue a ticket

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:38 am

> very simply the facts are the majority of people that sneak in no if they > get caught they wont get in trouble
So this is a case of "it won't happen to me"? Then I guess we need to clear things up right now as a community.
Yes, they will get caught, because Gate searches every vehicle. And the whole vehicle is held up until the stowaway comes up with the money for the ticket.
Yes, they will be required to purchase a ticket plus a stupidity tax for not confessing before we find them.
Yes, the BLM does site for trespassing, and it's a major drag. The ticket I think is about $250, and then you have it on your record.

Don't pick up hitchhikers until you've TOUCHED their ticket. Counterfeits are worthless pieces of paper, and it doesn't matter WHO they bought it from.
Don't allow these free-loaders to hang out with you. Ostracize the SHIT out of them. Make them feel like the scum that they are. They didn't bring food/water/supplies, and are usually living off of the kindness of others.
Get the word out that sneaking in is theft, and this personally affects ME as a Participant, because they are using MY PORTA-POTTIES!

Gentle suggestion to the author: please edit your postings for mispellings and grammar.

Gracias
robbidobbs

Postby Booker » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:55 am

Robbidobbs: BigE has a special dispensation from the Grammar Gods to go all stream of consciousness when needed. Best not to try to lasso the wind.
Booker

Postby Kinetic II » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:01 pm

I'm beginning to think the BLM needs to be more aggressive in handing out those $250 tickets. Once word gets out that the enforcement has some teeth to it, alot of this crap will stop. As with anything you'll have the hardcore cases who just have to try, but maybe the casual thrillseekers can be stopped.
Kinetic II

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy