Perspective

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Perspective

Postby ignatia_amara » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:44 am

I am blessed to live in the East Bay of SF where there is a very strong and large community of Burning Man folks. I get to see and work on Burning Man art (and other art) year round. The community is wonderful and my partner and I find that Burning Man is an extension of this. I can, therefore, understand the frustration of folks who don't have the everyday opportunties to be involved in a great arts community and must thus rely on Burning Man for this. My suggestion to those who are dismayed by the lack of community and lack of art on the playa is to SPEAK UP. Let BMORG know, volunteer, get some of those spectators involved, etc.

A final suggestion would be to camp with people who share your passion for arts community at Burning Man. MUCH of the Burning Man experience can be affected by who you camp with. If you are camping with a supportive group of folks, it really helps when you get upset by a negative experience because you've got good people around to help you process through the crap. BM is a community and everyone can be involved in shaping that community.
ignatia_amara

Re: Perspective

Postby girlie » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:19 am

>> My suggestion to those who are dismayed by the lack of community and lack of art on the playa is to SPEAK UP. Let BMORG know, volunteer, get some of those spectators involved, etc.

I agree with the basic premise of your post, but i'd go further and say that if you are dismayed by the lack of anything at burning man then (in addition to speaking up) get off your ass and build what you feel is missing. Form work parties to inspire others to create. Brainstorm with friends and then throw down and pitch in labour to help them get their projects going.

It always makes me chuckle to meet folks on the playa who say "i wish there were more art/fire/mashed potatoes" but then admit that they themselves haven't built anything for a few years.

Speaking up about things is great, but i think too much dependence on the bmorg will kill burning man.
girlie

Return to Politics & Philosophy