My hope:

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: My hope:

Postby ygmir » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:03 am

yet there are also times, IMHO, that a person has to stand and say "the choices you offer me are both bad, and I'll not choose either", like having a turd sandwich or bowl of piss soup.....which tastes worse?

I choose to skip that meal.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:03 am

there is a special place in hell for those that abstain.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ygmir » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:13 am

ah, but I did vote......just not for either major.........it is very acceptable, to choose "E: none of the above".....protest is just that.
There can be honor, in taking the third path (not rail). A person can reject the choices offered, knowing out there, better exists......choosing one, just for the sake of choosing, though valid, is no better than holding your nose and drinking the cool aid........if enough folks, would consider "none of the above", a message might be sent.
one might consider the "occupy" movement, at least in it's infancy as having said that.
some of us are tired of the "status quo" and taking what's offered, on bended knee, and being thankful to "the parties" for giving us such stellar choices.........
I'm not against 50 separate countries, at this point.

Freedom is just that.........freedom to say no, to both.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Rice » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:15 pm

It is very distressing to know that American politics have a direct affect on Canadian politics.

As much as I would love to just say "they get what they deserve!", i hate to know that I too will suffer.

This so-called information age has just made it easier for the nutbars of the world to get their message out.

eek!!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:19 pm

ygmir wrote:ah, but I did vote......just not for either major.........it is very acceptable, to choose "E: none of the above".....protest is just that.
There can be honor, in taking the third path (not rail). A person can reject the choices offered, knowing out there, better exists......choosing one, just for the sake of choosing, though valid, is no better than holding your nose and drinking the cool aid........if enough folks, would consider "none of the above", a message might be sent.
one might consider the "occupy" movement, at least in it's infancy as having said that.
some of us are tired of the "status quo" and taking what's offered, on bended knee, and being thankful to "the parties" for giving us such stellar choices.........
I'm not against 50 separate countries, at this point.

Freedom is just that.........freedom to say no, to both.

i guess we will haf to teach ju to wear the reeeeebon.

[media]
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:29 pm

That's what happens to you iconoclasts. Serves ya right.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby BBadger » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:53 pm

ygmir wrote:yet there are also times, IMHO, that a person has to stand and say "the choices you offer me are both bad, and I'll not choose either", like having a turd sandwich or bowl of piss soup.....which tastes worse?

Then you must also be willing to stand and keep your mouth shut when decisions are made--for better or worse--in the absence of your vote.

I would like to see a negative vote entry for, so you can vote against a person, even if not specifically for another.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby ygmir » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:46 pm

BBadger wrote:
ygmir wrote:yet there are also times, IMHO, that a person has to stand and say "the choices you offer me are both bad, and I'll not choose either", like having a turd sandwich or bowl of piss soup.....which tastes worse?

Then you must also be willing to stand and keep your mouth shut when decisions are made--for better or worse--in the absence of your vote.

I would like to see a negative vote entry for, so you can vote against a person, even if not specifically for another.

I disagree BBadger........I did vote, just not for heckle or jeckle........and so, by voting alone ,I retain the right to complain. Had I not voted at all, I might agree, although, depending on the reasoning behind"no vote" it can still be legitimate, IMO.
we are in essence, force fed two turds, and asked to chooose one.........told to choose one, or we are not "patriotic" or "not involved,so shut up".......but I disagree there are only two choices, and with a system that stacks the deck towards same.
How about a dozen, and 6 rounds of voting to get down to one?
How about a up to 3 terms, then he's hung. it'd bring out the altruists, perhaps?
Sort of like the festivals surrounding Rig, in old Teutonic lore.
I
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:07 am

Can we just hang them first to keep them from stirring up trouble?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby BBadger » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:00 am

ygmir wrote:I disagree BBadger........I did vote, just not for heckle or jeckle........and so, by voting alone ,I retain the right to complain. Had I not voted at all, I might agree, although, depending on the reasoning behind"no vote" it can still be legitimate, IMO.
we are in essence, force fed two turds, and asked to chooose one.........told to choose one, or we are not "patriotic" or "not involved,so shut up".......but I disagree there are only two choices, and with a system that stacks the deck towards same.
How about a up to 3 terms, then he's hung. it'd bring out the altruists, perhaps?
I

I'd like to see 8-year terms with a no-confidence supermajority option. That way we can actually see if some of the policies actually panned out, and not have to waste half the first term trying to get reelected. It's hard enough to see the results of some policies within 10 years. If he's truly terrible he/she can get ousted too.

As for a multi-round election.... I don't think I could stand the political ads running that long. It's bad enough a whole year gets dedicated to it, and the last month is hell, but multiple rounds would be terrible, even if once every 8 years.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby ygmir » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:24 am

BBadger wrote:
ygmir wrote:I disagree BBadger........I did vote, just not for heckle or jeckle........and so, by voting alone ,I retain the right to complain. Had I not voted at all, I might agree, although, depending on the reasoning behind"no vote" it can still be legitimate, IMO.
I

I'd like to see 8-year terms with a no-confidence supermajority option. That way we can actually see if some of the policies actually panned out, and not have to waste half the first term trying to get reelected. It's hard enough to see the results of some policies within 10 years. If he's truly terrible he/she can get ousted too.

As for a multi-round election.... I don't think I could stand the political ads running that long. It's bad enough a whole year gets dedicated to it, and the last month is hell, but multiple rounds would be terrible, even if once every 8 years.

there's a great point in there BBadger..well a few. But one is this:
most economic policies, dont' take effect for years.......and economics being an art (at best), not a science (IMHO), I'd say often, presidents get credit/blame, for a policy enacted one or more terms before.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:11 am

The last 6 times that the elections were held on the 6th, the republican candidate won.

So there's that. :roll:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ygmir » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:29 am

it'd be great, when the dust settles, if the winner would stand, accept his accolades, then shake hands with the loser and really, really negotiate and compromise, to get stuff done......not the "let's compromise, do it my way" stuff.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:41 am

Yggy, the only way we can find out is to elect the other guy.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:09 am

Just don't expect perfection.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Rice » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Ah, the bliss of only getting Canadian TV channels right now... No US political blather :)

Unfortunately I still get Canadian ads. (A pleasure in comparison)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby latchseeker » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:28 pm

FIGJAM wrote:The last 6 times that the elections were held on the 6th, the republican candidate won.

So there's that. :roll:

Hey, thats one 6 short of a conspiracy, :o

Zombie Moses Says; Let My People Groan!
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them- Duke Leto Atreides
latchseeker

Postby wraith » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:11 am

Well, glad that's over. Now hopefully the gaggle of idiots we call Congressmen can get off their asses and actually vote on some bills rather than putting everything off further.
wraith

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:52 pm

OK...everyone happy, now?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby maryanimal » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:41 pm

dragonpilot wrote:OK...everyone happy, now?

Very happy dragonpilot! Now then, fighting off all the christams shoppers. with WalMart, BestBuy, Sears, etc, "leaking" out their Black Friday ads early, maybe there won't be so many buttheads out there running folks over to get that prized gift for their great uncle once removed.

BestBuy does have a 40" LCD, HDTV 1080p Hz for 179.99. They'll be giving out tickets for the big ticket items before the doors open. That may help slow the crush when the doors open at midnight.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby gyre » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Shopping is like a massacre now.
And not in a good way.
gyre

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:09 pm

That is a pretty good deal. Was going to do black Friday to get a new tv but we decided to just go ahead and not fight it and get one now got a 39" vizio for under 3 today. Hoping we can find some bedding on black Friday at pennys sense we have a new bed on the way. So yeah that's my hope. Won't have to deal with many people in the bedding area.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby gyre » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:30 am

I hope the vizio looks good.
With few exceptions, you can do better with used electronics than new.
Even the currently fashionable thin screens are plentiful as people upgrade, so the smaller sizes are around.
Unless you spend over $10K or have a special purpose, used tvs are a good deal.
DLP rear screens are around $100-500 up to 60".
I've seen the inferior lcds for under $100 up.
The hidef crt projectors often look very good.
I use a hidef crt in 34".
Out of fashion, so under $50.
800 lines of resolution.
Sony made an sfp line with 1400 lines of resolution.
They sell for $100-200.
Very few new tvs look as good, and you pay for those.
They don't want to tell you the horizontal resolution on new tvs, for obvious reasons.
I like front screen projectors.
Out of fashion here.
Only the discerning use them, so they go very cheap.
Plasma comes in behind dlp in picture.
Fyi, LED is meaningless unless you have local dimming.
If you choose a thin screen, find the thickest possible model.
It will have superior lighting and may be repairable too.
True LED tvs are available, but only in industrial versions up to 300 metres.
Avsforums has extensive info on video.
Videohelp forums is more technical.

Sony made a 40" crt in the standard 800 lines of resolution.
They commonly have a power supply failure that can be fixed for $20.
A very good picture actually.
Seriously heavy at 300 pounds though.
Theft is not an issue.

Back to topic.
gyre

Postby Sunbeam56 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:22 pm

This is an unfortunate season.
Not necessarily beause of the elections - Obama won, but locally, nothing but Perry-freaks. But beause of the total divisive-ness. I can't stand the lack of any ability to tolerate, seek understanding, and bigotry (not all racial).
Why are rational policies being ignored?
Why are the people who SHOULD care relying on slogans instead of facts?

Its appalling. :(
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Postby Scatter42 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:58 pm

My deepest sympathies to you - but this sounds like typical politics coupled with the mind-bending ignorance of 80 percent of the population

One potential cure for either will certainly get you thrown in prison with their buddies. Fortunately, all hope is not lost if one makes proper use of their brain matter to avoid going further into the vortex. Appalling indeed, but this too shall pass....
Scatter42

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy