Opting out of Support and Ticket categories

Read-only messages from the Burning Man Staff

Opting out of Support and Ticket categories

Postby trilobyte » Wed May 15, 2013 9:42 am

As ticketing and fundraising seasons reach their peaks, some users who have no interest in those areas get tired of seeing all those posts. I'm pleased to announce that we now have a way that you can opt out of those discussions and effectively turn off your access to those sections of the site. We've done it using two specialized user groups. Joining the Show No Tickets group will opt you out of the Event Tickets category (and all the subforums). Joining the Show No Support group will opt you out of the Show Your Support category. You can join either one or both if you like. If you want to opt back in (for example, after the summer ticket madness dies down), just resign from the respective group.

Joining (or leaving) the group is done through the User Control Panel. Once there, you click the tab for Usergroups (link here). You should see Show No Support and Show No Tickets in the 'Non-Memberships' list. Select by clicking the radio button on the right, then use the dropdown menu 'Join Selected' (or 'Resign Selected' to leave) and click submit. The pictures below should help illustrate:

Here's the Usergroups tab of the User Control Panel. It shows the two 'Show No' groups in the Non-Membership section.

To join one of the groups (and 'opt out' of or turn off your access to the respective category), select the radio button on the right for the group you'd like and then choose 'Join Selected' from the menu on the bottom right of the page.

Once you've joined the group, it will appear under your group memberships.

To resign from a group (and turn your access back on), select the radio button on the right from the group and then choose 'Resign Selected' from the menu on the bottom right of the page.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Opting out of Support and Ticket categories

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Fri May 17, 2013 5:55 pm

This is neat; thanks, Trilo.

Just a thought: maybe have the ticket one reset yearly? Or just send a note to users yearly? Because I know that if I sign up to ignore the tickets posts now and then a year from now I need a ticket and can't seem to see any ticket posts, I'll be mighty confused!

... 'course that'd be my own fault.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:22 am

Sorry for the late response, I didn't see this until now. There's no way to have the system do that automatically. Even if it was, resetting it yearly might be a convenient feature for you in case you find yourself in a ticketless situation next year, but it would be inconvenient for anyone who wasn't. When new boards are added (such as next year's event/ticketing boards) an announcement will get made which is visible to all, and I plan to include a link to this thread.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby CornMan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:46 am

The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:08 pm

Hey Trilobyte, what does the "Registered Users" group membership do?
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:11 pm

So I joined the "Show no tickets" group yesterday and I'm still seeing new ticket posts when I sort by unread posts.

Am I doing it wrong?
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:15 pm

It's like vaudeville.

Once the acts are perfected, THEY NEVER CHANGE!!!

Just like the ticket threads. :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby trilobyte » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:32 am

You're not doing it wrong, I needed to reconfigure the back end for this year's boards. It should be working properly.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Return to Announcements