How to add Foe ("plonk") or Friend

Read-only messages from the Burning Man Staff

How to add Foe ("plonk") or Friend

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:26 pm

If there is someone who posts on the board who, for whatever reason, you would rather not read, there is a simple solution that doesn't involve personal attacks or flame wars- just "plonk" or "Foe" them and you won't have to read their posts again.

It's very simple to do- first, just go to a post by that person. Click on their name (below the avatar if they have one) to pull up their profile:

Foe1.PNG

Foe2.PNG

Right in the center you'll see "Add friend" and "Add foe", just click the one you want, click "okay" when it asks if you're sure, and you are done. If you foe'd them (or "plonked" them) you will no longer see their posts.

We encourage doing this instead of attacking the person. Just like you would walk away & ignore them in real life we hope you'll do it here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: How to add Foe ("plonk") or Friend

Postby Sham » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:35 pm

I can see that Eric wrote something, but I can't see anything he posted! :roll:
Sham

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:22 pm

Shambala wrote:I can see that Eric wrote something, but I can't see anything he posted! :roll:

Sadly trying to screen grab my own profile didn't work: I can't friend/foe myself no matter how much the voices in my head want to...

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:28 pm

I think Trilobyte just fixed that.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:16 am

The fact that Eric has Moderator status precludes anyone from Foeing him.

Which is kind of shitty since Mods can post stuff outside their "official" duties and the rest of us are held as captive audiences. The solution is for Mods to use separate accounts when not acting officially but that's a bit much to ask of people kind enough to donate their time/energies.

Before anyone might surmise I tried to plonk Eric let me clear that up by saying his posts should be REQUIRED reading IMO. In fact, there ought to be an automatic sticky function on his posts.

I've developed the skill of just squinting really tight and skimming before hitting enter on the one person I'd rather not read that I can't plonk (when not acting in official capacity, of course).
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby ygmir » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:39 am

I don't get the need to "plonk"....really.
don't read them, if you don't like them.
I've never plonked anyone (that I can remember, anyway), and, have many times found good info and insight, even from folks here that I really dislike or reject.
Of course, I understand it's easier, but, for me anyway, I feel I'll miss a gem of wisdom or humor. And, I need all the help I can get.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:31 am

On the other hand as a mod we can't ploink anyone (not that I would) so it's a double edged sword - you have to read what we write, but WE have to read Everything EVERYONE (including the spammers) write (so consider yourself lucky!!)
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby trilobyte » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:33 am

I'm with you, ygmir. But for some the temptation to read/respond may be too great, so hooray for technology that reduces the points of stress in their lives.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Shpilkus » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:36 am

I've plonked everyone and I'm really enjoying the peace and quiet of looking at nothing but blank threads today.
needles, sewing pins | shpilkes (shpil'∙kes) | שפּילקעס
Shpilkus

Postby jkisha » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:36 am

LOL That's funny.
Shpilkus wrote:I've plonked everyone and I'm really enjoying the peace and quiet of looking at nothing but blank threads today.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Sic Pup wrote:The fact that Eric has Moderator status precludes anyone from Foeing him.

Which is kind of shitty since Mods can post stuff outside their "official" duties and the rest of us are held as captive audiences. The solution is for Mods to use separate accounts when not acting officially but that's a bit much to ask of people kind enough to donate their time/energies.

I thought about making a sock to for "unofficial" posts, but it would be so transparently me I decided against it (plus the fact I'd probably use a clown for an avatar would give it away...) Besides, we're not Leaders or Bosses, we're cat herders who happen to be cats ourselves, I'd rather post under my known name.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby graidawg » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:47 pm

what is a herd of cats called anyway?

plonk is a vital function for me with two people having been plonked since i joined the fact they are both gone now shows my excellent judgement.

if i plonked myself would i be able to see my own profile to unplonk myself afterwards?
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:48 pm

My last post probably didnt leave the right impression. For the record, I don't have any one but spammers in my Foe file and I agree with Ygmir's point. My thing is more presentation than content. I like to be challanged with differing ideas what I have a low tolerance level for is prose I can't get far enough into to discern whether I want to invest additional time/effort on.

Not that anyone other than me gives a shit (and rightly so).

I'm claiming narrative license and labeling my point as an observation more than a wish.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Shambala's troll » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Eric wrote:I thought about making a sock to for "unofficial" posts, but it would be so transparently me I decided against it.

Who in the world would make an alter-ego just for making unofficial posts? That's just craziness! :shock:
Shambala's troll

Postby Sham » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Quiet trolly, you'll ruin everything!
Sham

Postby graidawg » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:26 pm

Shambala wrote:Quiet trolly, you'll ruin everything!

ah how sweet sham has a pet name for his troll. (((hugs))) because thats so lovely.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby AntiM » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:01 am

Actually, a moderator can plonk, they simply should not unless another moderator is willing to take over that particular user for them.

Reading every single post is time and soul consuming, a task better served when shared.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Return to Announcements