Rest In Peace

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby karine » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:30 am

I want to take a minute to tell you all about how wonderful it was to have shared time with Nipple's brother Noodles, his sister Linda, and her husband Oz on the playa. They all came out, and in more than one way, brought Nipples with them. We had quite a few tender moments together, and quite a few laughs as well. It was an honor to have them join our family. The Temple burn was almost as touching as the visit when we placed his ashes... and I felt his presence the whole time. I don't want to say much more, as I fear it really isn't my place-

But thank you ALL for coming and sharing your special moments.

Also, I was very proud of the devotion on the playa, and at the Temple, to New Orleans and Katrina. Rest In Peace. Love to New Orleans.
karine

Postby Kinetic IV » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:25 pm

Rest in Peace:
To PJ....a man who was instrumental in making my very first Burning Man a success 4 long years ago. He will be missed and I echo the other calls for a restoration of the old e-playa so many of his posted "gems" can resurface for all to enjoy again.

To Sergeant First Class Obediah J. "Obie" Kolath, United States Special Forces. The war in Iraq has been something distant to me...until now. While I was attending Burning Man Obie was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq. I went to school with Obie and this is the first casualty that hits home. To make matters worse an old personal nemesis, the Rev. Fred Phelps of Topeka picketed at his funeral.

My current tag line of the moment speaks volumes about my feelings on Obie's passing and on the Reverend's actions: "There is a special place in hell for ministers who picket funerals of our military men and women."
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Davoid » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:40 am

I learned only a few days ago of Nipples' passing. I was sad enough with my self-exile from this community for the past three years (couldn't attend event, didn't have much comp access, bleh bleh), but to learn that I missed out on all those chances to read and respond to him here, to meet him again in BRC... not to mention mourning him properly at the temple burn this year.

He gave me compliments and a stupid little trinket at the meet 'n' greet in 2002, a little plastic clown fish (floating world and all that), but hell, I cherished that fucking thing. Imbued with a dusting of his peculiar genius. These past three months since my move, I can't find it.

Now I'm in that street, I'm waving my hands, wait, slow down, slow down, please?

My soul is on fire. Godspeed, Dogspeed, Bunnyspeed to you, poet.
Davoid

Pat Mosier- PJ

Postby foamin' at the mouth » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:00 am

Zona received this on the Aviators list. I thought I would forward it here in case therre are others who were friends of PJ.

I thought it was a lovely sentiment too.

To: Burning Man Aviators list <aviators-list (AT) burningman(dot)com>
Sent: Sun Sep 11 00:07:42 2005
Subject: [aviators-list] A loss of a BM Aviator and friend

Some sad news arrived to me the other day. A fellow Burning Man Aviator, Pat Mosier, recently lost his battle with cancer. Some of you may not have known Pat as he unfortunately missed the last two events. But those of you that did know him I’m sure had nothing but great memories of him as I did.

Pat wasn’t the tallest or biggest pilot out there but he was easily one of the nicest and most outgoing person you may have met. He was also an excellent pilot and one of the few that I’d trust to fly me around while I’m sleeping in the back. He was always happy to take BM passengers up in his Cessna T210 at any opportunity. Heck, it’s probably his fault that I want a faster airplane. We had a lot of fun flying around Black Rock on many occasions.

I found out before this last Burning Man that Pat wouldn’t be around very long. The doctors had done all that they could. He decided that he would spend his last days at home with his wife Pam and his very young daughters. I called him during BM one day and he was still well enough to talk. I told him that it was an incredible event this year and that we were thinking of him and wishing him well. In spite of the pain that we all knew he was in he was very lucid and in good spirits. He’s easily a braver man than I am but I didn’t show any weakness until after I hung up with him and realized that it would be the last time we would speak.

If you’re aware of anyone else that may have known Pat please forward this email to them. And please feel free to have any friends of his to contact me directly. There is a wake planned for him on Saturday, September 24th. If you’re near Longmont, Colorado during that time I’m sure that you’d be welcome. Please let us know as soon as you can if you think you might make it.

--Dean Siracusa
I often heard the sorrel nag (who always loved me) crying out, ..."Take care of thyself, gentle Yahoo."
foamin' at the mouth

Location: that fishing village designed by interior decorators

Postby PurpleKoosh » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:46 am

PJ's obituary, as posted in the local paper:

The Daily Times-Call wrote: Pat MOSIER died Sept. 8, 2005, at home, from complications of a bone marrow transplant following several years of cancer treatment. He was 46.

Mr. Mosier was born Sept. 24, 1958, to Harry and Geraldine (Reis) Mosier in Little Falls, Minn.

Mr. Mosier came to Boulder 20 years ago and moved to Longmont in 1996. He helped found and co-owned Airborne Gymnastics & Dance of Longmont, where his wife Pam continues as owner and program director.

Mr. Mosier grew up on a farm in rural Minnesota and had a variety of careers on many different continents, including Antarctica. He enjoyed being with his family and friends, fixing obsolete machinery of all sorts, traveling great distances in a small personal aircraft that he restored with his friends, reading, any participatory outdoor activities, camping, hunting and art.

He is survived by his wife of Longmont; two daughters, Ariel and Annabelle Mosier of Longmont; his parents of Royalton, Minn; one brother, Daniel Mosier of Tucson, Ariz.; and one sister, Barbara Zimny of Esko, Minn.

A memorial gathering will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 24, 2005, at Airborne Gymnastics & Dance, 1816 Boston Ave. Donations of platelets can be made in Mr. Mosier’s memory at Presbyterian/St. Lukes Medical Center in Denver. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions can be made to the Pat Mosier Memorial Fund in care of Ahlberg Funeral Chapel, 326 Terry St., Longmont 80501. Visit http://www.ahlbergfuneralchapel.com to send condolences.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:10 am

On the playa this year I was told he didn't want any donations...but the obituary changes that. Thank you so much Purple Koosh for posting it.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby falk » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:36 pm

Something I wanted to write on the temple, but someone had already written something similar:

New Orleans
City of music and beauty
Lost to the forces of nature,
the arrogance of stupid men,
and the indifference of a government that has no pride.

Always in our hearts and minds.
May the first great city lost to global warming
also be the last.
falk

Postby diane o'thirst » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:17 pm

Years and years ago I took up with the band Voivod. I was the only person in the San Francisco metal scene that spoke passable French and when they came through on tour with Celtic Frost I talked with them and they loved it no end. We made fast friends; one would think I'd be stoked to also be friends with a band I loved and respected, but no, it was just — friends.

On Burn Saturday, the guitarist Denis "Piggy" D'Amour, died of colon cancer, the same thing I have. It metastisized and got into his liver; on Thursday he lapsed into a coma and died on Burn Saturday, surrounded by friends and family. He was 45.

This was the second cancer to have gripped my old friend. Back in the '80s, he developed a brain tumour near the hippocampus. They couldn't operate to cut it out because of its position but used an experimental treatment. It was a success: the tumour melted and he went into remission. I'd say that surviving cancer for 20 years could be considered a success.

Piggy was a great guy, and a world-class guitarist to boot. I feel exceptionally comfortable mentioning him in the same breath as Jimmy Page and Todd Rundgren. Voivod was a gem of the speed metal genre; they believed in themselves, believed in the music, never let a label push them around and were some of the coolest, classiest, most intelligent guys I've met, in music or out of it. Sure, they got heckled at shows; lesser bands would throw a snit just as bad or worse than the heckler, but they rose above it, they just kept playing and let their loyal following take care of the jerks in their midst. If Voivod had a rule, it was The Music Comes First. Talent hand-in-hand with professionalism: that's a chemistry you see but rarely. They had it down to a science.

You never heard about ego clashes, even though they all lived in the same house together for many years. Even when Jean-Yves the bassist left, it was amicable and honest: he simply evolved creatively and needed to branch out on his own. They were the proverbial well-oiled machine and the music said as much. Jason Newsted left Metallica to play with them; I'm just sorry to my tail's tail that I never got to see him play with them. The machine is missing a cog that was hand-wrought by its creator and can never be replaced.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Squidly » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:24 pm

I wanted to thank all you wonderful people out there for a truly memorable experience and a time I will cherish forever.

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you all, but just to name a few, many many thanks to Le Chat Noir and Karine, Chad and Griddle, Rebecca, blueniteowl, sensei, Bambi and all the rest of you who knew Nipples and loved him. Burning Man was a very special part of his life and I know feel as if I know him a little better.

The Temple Burn was about as spriitual and touching as I could ever have hoped for. Thank you for your thoughts, prayers and friendship.

Nipples Sister
Squidly

Postby karr » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:29 pm

Rest in Peace:

Mr. Moffett (my friend's grandfather) who passed away this past Saturday (9/17/05).

Mr. Grusinski (my friend's brother-in-law) who passed away this past Sunday (9/18/05).

With sincere sympathy and prayers.
I am the girl you will talk to and ask questions to and end up more confused than when you started.
karr

Postby Kinetic IV » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:00 pm

Rest in Peace:
Simon Wiesenthal

Justice, at least in my opinion, personified. The world is a better place thanks to his efforts.

“The most important thing I have done is to fight against forgetting and to keep remembrance alive,” he said in the 1999 interview with The Associated Press. “It is very important to let people know that our enemies are not forgotten.”

He never forgot. The world should not forget him either.
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby shitmouse » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:54 pm

posted here from 3playa...

rest in peace Steve Valapando.

my old friend from black forest whom i rode thousands of miles of dirt with on our ratty old dirtbikes. (sometimes being held together with zip ties and hose clamps)
coming from a very modest background and a huge family, he was the only person i've ever known to always wear a smile, and would always be that unconditional friend.

i'm sorry steve that i could not attend your funeral in colorado and comfort your mother. she has a heart of gold and it kills me to think of her pain.

Steve was killed last week off of hwy 83 near black forest. most likely over shot a turn on his bike.

38 is too young to go. we'll ride again someday Stevo, gas is on me mi amigo.

luv,
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby Kinetic IV » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:04 pm

Right now as I post this in Longmont, CO there's a group of people who are getting ready to not mourn the passing of Pat (PJ) Mosier, but are instead celebrating his life on his birthday.

I may not be there in person, but I am there in spirit and thought. Yes, I know he passed a couple of weeks back. But while he's gone he is certainly not forgotten. He touched many lives in the time he was here, and I am grateful for having had the opportunity to meet and get to know the man.

I couldn't let this night go without acknowledging the moment. And while I've had falling outs with a few of the 3playans, I stand back and applaud them for all that they did for the man in his last days. One could not ask for better friends than he had.

I'm going to end this post with what I feel is the most appropriate comment of all.

Mooooooo!!!!!

Goodbye, my friend.
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby PurpleKoosh » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:37 pm

There were similar celebrations all up and down the West Coast this evening, involving the burning of many, many cows.

Mooooooooooooooooooooooo.
PurpleKoosh

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:26 pm

Car 54, where are you?

Nipsey Russell, 80.
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby EvilDustBooger » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:40 pm

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Mr. Common Sense.

Mr. Sense had been with us for many years.

No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such value lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids,
are in charge).

His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash afterlunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Mr. Sense declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student; but, could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became money grubbing businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, she spilled a bit in her lap, and was awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers; My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he is gone.
EvilDustBooger

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:18 pm

EvilDustBooger wrote:Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Mr. Common Sense.

Mr. Sense had been with us for many years.

No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such value lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids,
are in charge).

His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash afterlunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Mr. Sense declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student; but, could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became money grubbing businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, she spilled a bit in her lap, and was awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers; My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he is gone.

His Brother, Two Cents Worth, was deeply grieved at the funeral and said it was an end of era.

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Cabanasprings » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:56 am

I heard that his friend Politically Correct is a key witness to his death.
Cabanasprings

Postby abby » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:06 am

Hi! my brother Sam Rich passed away on the playa on September 1st, 2005. He will always be loved and remebered
abby

Postby robotland » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:18 am

My sympathies for your loss. I think I saw a picture of some firespinners doing a tribute to him....
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby joel the ornery » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:14 pm

Peter Thomas... father, husband, friend, and potential diamond geezer.

i will miss you my friend.
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby joel the ornery » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:00 am

for Peter, from his friends...
Song of the Sausage Creature
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby Kinetic IV » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:14 pm

Richard Pryor
1940 - 2005

One of the few comedians that could always get me to laugh....he will be missed.
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby HughMungus » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:20 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:Richard Pryor
1940 - 2005

One of the few comedians that could always get me to laugh....he will be missed.

I was just reading an article about this. Sigh.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Rip Bounce

Postby lothos 1162 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:10 pm

We have lost one of our own,Scott Lofgren(aka Bounce)was killed,doing what he did best(Helping People),he passed away on 12/18/05.I will miss you Bounce.Lothos
lothos 1162

Re: Rip Bounce

Postby PurpleKoosh » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:19 pm

lothos 1162 wrote:We have lost one of our own,Scott Lofgren(aka Bounce)was killed,doing what he did best(Helping People),he passed away on 12/18/05.I will miss you Bounce.Lothos

I was just reading this on LiveJournal, and came rushing over to see if it had been posted yet.

A lot of you probably don't know that Scott was the MrFishist.

Crypto, sweetie, I hope you're okay. I suck, and I lost your email address; I'll PM my phone number to you. If you need anything, call me, please.
PurpleKoosh

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:02 am

Fishy, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby Zulegoona » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:31 am

Fishy My heart is with you,.. take care and know friends from around the world grieve with, and care for you.
Zulegoona

Postby AntiM » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:35 am

Ah Fishy, hugs.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:57 am

Fishy,

My heart is breaking... I got the email this morning from Joseph. I am so so so sorry, I loved finally meeting the 2 of you, and this is just... well...

Damn.

I know it'll prolly be a while before you read this, hon, but if there's anuything you need, get hold of me, 'K? I'm just down the road.

Tears..
Sus
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion