'Drunk Posting' is a Necessary Evil

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: 'Drunk Posting' is a Necessary Evil

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:06 pm

Ratty wrote:So THAT's why the 'smithy' holds the horseshoe over the fire repeatedly.

That's actually different - iron & steel need to be "hot forged", which means you need to do the work on them while the metal is hot because it will fracture if you do it when it gets cold. Their crystal structure locks into a rigid shape when cool.

Gold, silver, copper, brass, platinum are "cold forged", which means you work the metal cold. The annealing rearranges the crystal structure to make it less uniform, and when you quench them (put them in water) it locks the crystals into that random structure. Forging them puts it back into a more uniform (and less malleable) structure, which is why the more you're forging a piece, the more you need to anneal it (on some rings I'm sizing up a lot I might need to anneal them 2-4 times to keep them from fracturing).

If you really want to play with metals (and you can start fairly cheaply), I cannot recommend Tim McCreights "The Complete Metalsmith" enough. It covers tons of jewelry making techniques from basics to advance, but is only around $20. I have tons of reference & metal-working books, this is the only one that stays right next to my bench.

Kat: kids could dap easily, it's just something they need to learn to do a bit gently or they'll crack the metal. There is also the chance of jagged edges, so make sure you take that into account.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Joeln » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:29 pm

Nice Eric!
Nothing like a good reference book and I am always interested in learning more about fabrication techniques.
I worked for a couple years at a jewelry sweatshop wax casting, inlays, stamping etc. Albuquerque was a hotbed of cheap jewelry mfrs in the 70's.

Recently I saw some youtube videos about this guy building replicas of ancient swords - search 'the serpent in the sword' - awesome work that guy does.

-Joel
Collapse first and avoid the rush
Joeln

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Patsh » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:33 pm

Eric, that looks like a very good and informative book! I saw in its listing of 'suggested reading', one I have and love, Metal Techniques for Craftsmen, by Oppi Untracht. Nothing like an awesome and useful book for inspiration and instruction!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby Ratty » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:51 pm

It's 2:43 and that's happy hour if I come home early.

When you go yearly there isn't that much pressure to get ready. Yeah right! Everything that was a little off last year needs to be corrected. If I don't sew the tent I'll be really sorry. My new theme camp, 'Street Sign Replacement Camp', requires some board cutting and planning. I have about 1,000 costume pieces that aren't past the Pinterest stage. Shoes to paint. Tutus to fluff. Hell I haven't even started on swag. (I decided to only make swag for the M&G.You guys are my friends and the rest can pound sand.)

So what does it come down to?
Sew tent.
Make Swag.
Cut boards for theme camp.
Shop for food and water.

OK. I can do it. Whew. I was melting down there for a minute. NOW. Will somebody please boot me off the computer so I can get something accomplished in the real world?
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby Patsh » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Take THAT! Don't you realize, it's HAPPY HOUR!!???

booted!.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Patsh wrote:Eric, that looks like a very good and informative book! I saw in its listing of 'suggested reading', one I have and love, Metal Techniques for Craftsmen, by Oppi Untracht. Nothing like an awesome and useful book for inspiration and instruction!

I've got both of Oppi's (the other is Jewelry Concepts & Technologies), but they are massive overkill for the hobbyist or beginner - unless you find them used and cheap. Jewelry Concepts is pretty much the bible of the jewelry craft, with Metal Techniques being the Commentary... :lol:

I'll stop now... I could go on about jewelry making until the sun comes up - and then continue.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:56 pm

Ratty wrote:
So what does it come down to?
Sew tent.
Make Swag.
Cut boards for theme camp.
Shop for food and water.

OK. I can do it. Whew. I was melting down there for a minute. NOW. Will somebody please boot me off the computer so I can get something accomplished in the real world?

Ratty, this list just made me feel one thousand times better. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby gaminwench » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:34 am

Someone stop me.

NOW!!! :shock: :twisted: :shock: :mrgreen:
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Ratty » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:35 pm

Fuck! It's 2:25 and I just finished my glass of wine. (Yes I'm totally drunk, who asked you)? That means I'll be totally sober by dinner time. I hope my husband cooks a lovely meal. I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that the event is coming up and I haven't done much to get ready. I guess it comes down to food, water and packing. I've totally given up on swag. I'm bring about 30 furry bike seat covers with foam padding and starting a theme camp of 'Street Sign replacement' so that will have to suffice. (Thank God for spell check.) It's a shame, because I assembled all the makin's for great swag but I'm not feelin it. I'm commited to 5 greeter shifts and I'll be at the M&G. I've extended the week long event into 2 weeks by coming early and staying late. Maybe next year I'll come really early and assemble the packets you get at Greeters. Then I'll volunteer for setting up the perimeter fences. What's the longest you can drag this out? Hell I'll buy Brunos and live nearby. Wow! I must be plastered. I still have a job! And a husband! Oh well, a girl can dream can't she. Hummmmm. I'm starving. Where are the orderves?
Ratty

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Oh, Ratty, you have the best chatty wine posts ever.

. . . I think padded bike covers are such a lovely gift. You will save many heinies. :mrgreen:
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:05 pm

Loving YOU Ratty!!!
I'm drunk on good beer now, so it's appropriate to post, eh?
I don't know if all my brilliant ideas are going to come to pass but it's mid-June so there's still time to panic later. Just focus on doing something every day toward prep. That's all one can commit to right now. The schwag will happen or not. I'm fighting w badgeaminit now - but I have 164 butt-ins done so all is not lost. I just wanted 250+. They're super cool thought. So I just went to plan B and started sewing moop bags. I had made a crocheted t-shirt rug, but it's a bust (I can't turn an edge), so I took all the t-shirt sleeves and ironed on Pooping Man on them and they'll be gifties. Just having CO help me this year is HUGE improvement, so I'm grateful. In my beer-haze, I just try to remain positive and keep on schedule. There's no need to panic until August 1st, really. Your art project is well thought out, and a kind gift to the community. I SO want to hang out with you this year Ratty! Looking forward to Tu-tu Tuesday to wear my pink skirt and attack the town with you.
robbidobbs

Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby Ratty » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Robbi Dobbs, I love you. Happy hour comes early on Saturday. My 'prep' has mainly been eurithial. Wow! Is spell check turned off or did I actually spell that right? I organized the hut. I'm getting ready to make some money to finance my vacation. I bought some food at the dollar store. I PLAN to find my notebook from last year and start packing. I can't stop buying useless shit at garage sales but so what.

I am such a cheap drunk. One tumbler of box wine and I'm gone.

Back on point. As if....

Was it yesterday or this morning that I got all excited about the burn? You know. All of a sudden your 2nd thoughts disappear and you picture yourself riding down G street looking for that waffle house or shampoo parlour. I can't wait to see all my best new friends. I hope Abba Zabba shows up. (Of course I wouldn't know her from a hole in the ground but maybe she'll have the good sense to introduce herself again.) Hell. I don't recognize my own employees unless they are in uniform at work. I guess that's why I love the M&G. It's safe. People see my avatar and come up to me. We wear nametags. Very important!!

One year I practically lived in camp. Another year I only went there to eat, sleep and clean up. What will I do this year? You tell me. I dunno. This wine has made me really hungry. I'm gonna break into that box of playa food and have some cheeze whiz on crackers.
Ratty

Postby Foxfur » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Eric wrote: (sexy metalworking talk)

*hind leg twitches, wags tail*
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Camp Name: Camp Foxfur @ 2:45 & C

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:15 pm

bump for Mojo
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Mojojita » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:16 pm

Thank you! Found it. Love you Fishy! (It has been a long day!)
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:34 pm

(((Mojo)))

Do drunk posters ever call you Jomo?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Mojojita » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:03 pm

No, they call me odbfauhfao riuab r. Or that's what I heard.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby Ratty » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:38 pm

Hellooooo eplaya. YES it IS happy hour. I have to hurry before I sober up. (I'm a very cheap drunk). One glass of wine and here I am. After reading the tickets wanted posts I think I'll buy an extra ticket next year. I know. It's selfish of me. Hell, there are people I actually care about that were squeezed out because of WHATEVER reason. They all seem to have gotten tickets and boarding passes. If I had bought an extra I could sell it to that nice lady that gave her ticket to her daughter. I would really like to believe that story. How about the 60 yr old that wants to go. I'm 60 and I want to go. I watched the entire 1st season of Survivor. They formed alliances. We need a secret society. Everyone that only needs one ticket could buy 2 and it would be a cushion for our eplaya friends. Of course that may squeeze out some of our other eplaya friends.

Wow my husbank went to costco and just gave me a drumstick. He's the 'nut husband'.

Anyway, back to hoarding. We could require more than 200 posts to receive an offer. Hell. It could go to the person with the most posts. The seller would have to have last say. There are a couple of eplayans I wish would crawl up their own ass and die but that's my problem.

OK. I'm done with my hor d'oeuvre and my scheme.
Ratty

Postby lucky420 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:51 pm

Ratty wrote:Hellooooo eplaya. YES it IS happy hour. I have to hurry before I sober up. (I'm a very cheap drunk). One glass of wine and here I am. After reading the tickets wanted posts I think I'll buy an extra ticket next year. I know. It's selfish of me. Hell, there are people I actually care about that were squeezed out because of WHATEVER reason. They all seem to have gotten tickets and boarding passes. If I had bought an extra I could sell it to that nice lady that gave her ticket to her daughter. I would really like to believe that story. How about the 60 yr old that wants to go. I'm 60 and I want to go. I watched the entire 1st season of Survivor. They formed alliances. We need a secret society. Everyone that only needs one ticket could buy 2 and it would be a cushion for our eplaya friends. Of course that may squeeze out some of our other eplaya friends.

Wow my husbank went to costco and just gave me a drumstick. He's the 'nut husband'.

Anyway, back to hoarding. We could require more than 200 posts to receive an offer. Hell. It could go to the person with the most posts. The seller would have to have last say. There are a couple of eplayans I wish would crawl up their own ass and die but that's my problem.

OK. I'm done with my hor d'oeuvre and my scheme.

HA! :D
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:01 pm

Oh crap, am I on Ratty's list, too?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Bin Noddin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:55 pm

You on everyone's list, dahlink. But then again, I'm still sober.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby Ratty » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:21 pm

I'm tired, dusty and drunk. Sounds like I'm still on the playa. Everytime I get in the van I get out covered with a fine layer of ??? My lips are still chapped and people stare at me as I drink from a ½ gallon water bottle at the light.

You have to respond when opportunity knocks. The day after I got back I found an adult 'big wheels' at a 2nd hand store for $35. I paid and then realized my car was stuffed. FUCK. I hadn't planned to unload the van. (EVER) Ditch work. Unload. Get Big Wheels. Decide that I made a mistake. I have nowhere to store it and nowhere to ride it. SFW. I have pride of ownership. It can stay in my car. I'll whip it out and tootle around whenever the situation arrises. Shit, my van has a buttload of playa.

Isn't it funny which words don't 'clear' spellcheck? Buttload is an accepted word. Cunt, twat, titties, bum, are all ok. Faceplant, lol, bff, sparklepony, birgin, newbie, eplayan, eplaya, I give up.

What's with all these really stupid people losing their family heirlooms? Have you EVER brought a valuable camera, costume piece, jewelry accessory, expensive bike, or any other thing that you can't stand to lose? It's hard to dredge up some sympathy for idiots that loose Grandma's opal brooch. When you brought that $3,000 video camera did you think it would make you a famous videographer. If you really spent $400 for a BM coat then you are dumber than a sack of hammers. (And you probably looked like a hat full of assholes). Sure, I'm cynical. I'm also sceptical and thank God I'm an atheist.

All the mystical, life-changing, religious drama inducing feelings grate on me after a while. It was a week long vacation in the desert. And a damn fine time was had by all.
Ratty

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:30 pm

(((((Ratty)))) Just wanted to give you a hug. I would have jumped into the helmet thread, and gone after the guy like the nasty little terrier I am, but I was afraid of setting off any persecution complex he might have.
The ashes are my favorite. "I haven't taken it off in 72 years". And then you take it off for the first time at burning man? What-fucking-ever.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Foxfur » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:54 pm

While working on cleaning the shit outta the trailer, I needed to roll playa style...
So after two Gatorade bottles of boxed wine (Fuck you, it's how I burn!) I got to thinking about pranks for next year. the one that stood out is 'Punch the Cripple'.
Imagine Foxfur in a wheelchair. Easy, no? Have Smashy or other dashing strongman push me around in a wheelchair with a a sign atop two pieces of conduit coming up from the chair.
Friends would read the PtC sign, run up, and pull a killer punch. Smashy will clothesline non-actors. I don't expect my mug to go totally unpunched, I'll suffer for art...

BTW, where should I post stories from this year's The Adventures of Tappy McTapperson 2, Drunker and Blinder?
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Camp Name: Camp Foxfur @ 2:45 & C

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:58 pm

Well, you just need a "Carnival Wheelchair of Death"!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Yer a bastard Fox, that's why I love you.

I'm on my own drunk posting. Beer #5 next to me.
I'm sick to the fucking teeth w pimped potties! They only make my job harder. I cannot justify their existence to USS IN ANY FUCKING WAY!
I appreciate the enthusiasm but the very LAST thing I need is for national fucking coverage, and dipshits on FB saying how very nice they are.
FUCK THEM ALL!!!
Pimped potties only create poop moop, and I don't give a flying FUCK about how you've inventoried every fucking pedal on your garland. If ONE BOTTLE goes into the drink, it's Jose that has to rake it out. And I have to look Mike in they eye and say that I'm trying to stop this nonsense. FUCK!!!
robbidobbs

Postby Ratty » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Cheers! (Robbi) TGIW.
Ratty

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:36 pm

Yep. TGIW.i can knock out a case of beer right now. It's just so horribly fucked right now at Pottie Central.
I'm gonna get myself in serious trouble if I don't calm the fuck down right now.
robbidobbs

Postby goathead » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:49 am

robbidobbs wrote:Yer a bastard Fox, that's why I love you.

I'm on my own drunk posting. Beer #5 next to me.
I'm sick to the fucking teeth w pimped potties! They only make my job harder. I cannot justify their existence to USS IN ANY FUCKING WAY!
I appreciate the enthusiasm but the very LAST thing I need is for national fucking coverage, and dipshits on FB saying how very nice they are.
FUCK THEM ALL!!!
Pimped potties only create poop moop, and I don't give a flying FUCK about how you've inventoried every fucking pedal on your garland. If ONE BOTTLE goes into the drink, it's Jose that has to rake it out. And I have to look Mike in they eye and say that I'm trying to stop this nonsense. FUCK!!!

How about private pimp potties?
We dealt with Muddy Waters, Golden Showers, Big Nuts, and his son Baby Nuts, and USS for years.
For us it is kind of camp pride in keeping our blue sauna nice and clean for us and for them.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Postby graidawg » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:25 am

love rattys posts, she is way better at drunk posting than me. i just.........
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion