The Bar 2014 Edition

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: The Bar 2014 Edition

Postby Savannah » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:22 am

At the karaoke bar with my best friend again. At a bar within a bar again. Just did Bohemian Rhapsody. Well received. :lol: Trying to figure out what to do next. Show tunes? Heart? Fiona Apple? Hmm. Miss you all.

ETA: Some girl just made me do "What's Up?" as a duet. What? Okay, whatever. It was fun. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:23 am

[media]
fuck you, it's magic

"i manifest that shit, yo.....Thug Burner for Life"

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ^Rhino! » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:07 am

magicmarty wrote:Hey, Rihno, I played tennis in some limestone caves in Carthage, MO some years ago. Legget and Platt used the caves for warehousing stuff You could drive multiple big rigs in there. Never had been in so large a cave before. Very cool and in some ways a very weird place to play tennis. They had a real court set up with lines a net and the whole deal.

Time to hit the hay

Cheers

Cheers, Marty! Those 'caves' are man-made, hence they're 'abandoned underground mines'. Missouri has more 'underground space resources than anywhere in the US. There are underground storage facilities in Branson, Springfield, Kansas City, Carthage, Columbia, Pacific, St. Louis, Crystal City, etc., etc. Kansas City has the granddaddy of them all.....Subtropolis. Owned by Hunt Midwest, its underground 'footprint' is 16 times the size of Arrowhead Stadium.

They hold a marathon 'fun run' underground every year there. Hunt Midwest was started by Lamar Hunt, a geologist by training. He ended up with so much money he started the American Football League, later to be bought out in total by the NFL. Hunt retained control of the Kansas City Chiefs as owner. I've toured the facility on two occasions. An interesting factoid: They paint the interior of the facility yearly, with Sherwin Williams white paint. They use over 7 million gallons.

Post-mining use of underground storage space where possible is a wonderful way to attain sustainability in aggregate production facilities.

The photo you see was taken from Missouri Highway 210.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby unjonharley » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:25 am

:coffee: :coffee: :| :coffee: :coffee:
unjonharley

Postby trilobyte » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:02 am

Sounds like Missouri propaganda, Rhino. 16 times the size of a stadium sounds big, but not compared to the old Detroit Salt mine under the city of Detroit. That's not 'open to the public' but still a massive underground space. There were over 100 miles of roads capable of moving seriously monstrous trucks and heavy equipment. I think the company's no longer mining there, but unless they filled it back in it was big enough to fit many whole stadiums. I went down there once as a kid in the 70's with my grandfather, and remember that during the cold war there were plans to use it as a fallout shelter - they boasted of having the capacity to accommodate the entire population of the city of Detroit (that was back when Detroit still had a lot of people).

The temps here are still dropping, we may even see below freezing in the bay area in the next 24 hours (I know, it's much colder in a lot of other places, but that's unseasonably chilly for around here). Time for a nice hot mocha :coffee:
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ygmir » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:51 am

*wanders in makes CCC*
wow, 28 deg. this morning! guess I better bring in my houseplants who live outside.
@^Rhino: thanks for the proof read. Being mostly self taught and mentored by an old self taught rock hound/miner, we get a lot of terminology wrong, but it's fun anyway.
I found one spot, I may have a pic somewhere, of and "extruded" tube of the columnar (I think basalt, black, 6 sides, very hard, very dense) stone that made a sort of "knot" as it forced out in a plastic state.......looked like those play dough things. but it was about 20' across, and then upon cooling had turned honeycombish via the columns forming. Near an iron mine pit south of Lovelock, which is huge, and great deposit, that through politics, was closed down in WWII in favor of the Great Lakes ores. it has a sulfuric acid lake in the bottom.
Under our area here, there are reportedly over 3K miles of tunnels looking for gold. one mines is over 3K' deep. sink holes and air shaft danger were a real threat as I was growing up. Efforts to close most of the shafts and such over the years has helped.

Savannah wrote:At the karaoke bar with my best friend again. At a bar within a bar again. Just did Bohemian Rhapsody. Well received. :lol: Trying to figure out what to do next. Show tunes? Heart? Fiona Apple? Hmm. Miss you all.

ETA: Some girl just made me do "What's Up?" as a duet. What? Okay, whatever. It was fun. :)

again: Pics or vid.!! not that anyone would doubt your prowess as an entertainer, but, we'd love the visual.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby fernley1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:10 am

Ygmir, in the book "Assembling California" there is a lot written about your area, the Smartsville complex, and the suture zones in the mother lode area.
The outcrop in Auburn, starts at page 74, is sheeted dikes, with the rigth side being glassy, page 76, from a spreading center that may have been mid oceanic at some time in the distance past.
I love to read about geology.

Super cold this morning, 15 degrees.
I think a will have another cup of coffee.
fernley1

Burning Since: 2013

Postby ygmir » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:03 am

yeah I have a couple of well driller friends, who in the Colfax/Auburn area, actually hit salt water at times. not ocean water, but water contaminated by the old ocean front deposits.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby unjonharley » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:07 am

Here in Salem there are tunnels under the old state nut house.. That is where One Flew Over The Coo Coos Nest was filmed.. There were cages along the walls with bars and chains attached to the wall in the 60s.. The bars and chains have been removed now.. Trying to hide states shame.. All of the state capital complex is connected with a hundred years old tunnel system.. One over the down towms oldest building basement flooded.. Boss and i discovered an old tunnel in a sub basement.. You know we had to look.. Damn it was dark down there.. The boss was holding the light.. The bastard picked up a huge dust bunny and handed it to me.. As it touched my hand he said "rat!".. It took me two years to get even with fucker..

But even I got... Fish lined under the desk a toy rat to the leg of his office chair..
unjonharley

Postby Elliot » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:10 am

unjonharley wrote::coffee: :coffee: :| :coffee: :coffee:

'Morning Jon!
My mugs contain hot chocolate, though.

10-4 on big trucks in big mountain-tunnels -- I've done it. There was all the room in the world to maneuver a 74-foot-long 18-wheeler. Missouri, I think -- been some years.

There are stretches of those "crystal"-like rock columns in the cliff-faces along US 97 in northern Oregon. The World is such a cool place!
Elliot's Nude Bicycle Bar & Rude Piano Playing - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

(Technically, the camp is called Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station, but that sounds boring. We can do better.)

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby ^Rhino! » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:24 am

trilobyte wrote:Sounds like Missouri propaganda, Rhino. 16 times the size of a stadium sounds big, but not compared to the old Detroit Salt mine under the city of Detroit. That's not 'open to the public' but still a massive underground space. There were over 100 miles of roads capable of moving seriously monstrous trucks and heavy equipment. I think the company's no longer mining there, but unless they filled it back in it was big enough to fit many whole stadiums. I went down there once as a kid in the 70's with my grandfather, and remember that during the cold war there were plans to use it as a fallout shelter - they boasted of having the capacity to accommodate the entire population of the city of Detroit (that was back when Detroit still had a lot of people).

The temps here are still dropping, we may even see below freezing in the bay area in the next 24 hours (I know, it's much colder in a lot of other places, but that's unseasonably chilly for around here). Time for a nice hot mocha :coffee:

Trilo:

It's not 'Missouri Propaganda'. It's the largest underground storage and office complex in the world as claimed by Hunt Midwest. The Missouri Geologic Survey states that Missouri has the largest underground space resource in the US. The Detroit salt mine is still open, BTW:

http://detroitsalt.com/
Thanks to the Mining Safety and Helath Administration (MSHA), they've gotten a lot tighter on unauthorized and even the AUTHORIZED access. Nobody wants to die in an underground accient of ANY type.

I still remember Sago , Upper Big Branch, and Jim Walter No. 5. And every time I do, I commend the souls of those brave men to the afterlife.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

^Rhino!

Postby Ratty » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Reminds me of 'Devil's Postpile' in the Mammoth Lakes area. As a kid we always made the long windey ride down an unpaved road to climb the pile and hike back to Rainbow falls. One year the stream was FILLED with floating rocks. Where they came from and where they ended up is something I liked to think about. (Still do).

Bodie ghost town was on a simular unpaved road.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby unjonharley » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Not having a wife, some times have to simulate life with one..

So this morning I got mad at myself for no apparent reason :roll:
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:58 pm

I got into a discussion of Devil's ______ names and mentioned the Postpiles. I had always wondered what "postpile" meant, and had convinced myself that it was hemorrhoids. I shoulda googled. I was wrong. Just the shape of the things.

another illusion... shattered.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Patsh » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:52 pm

unjonharley wrote:Not having a wife, some times have to simulate life with one..

So this morning I got mad at myself for no apparent reason :roll:

:D :lol: :D now, that's funny!!

I hope by now you've forgiven yourself... no need to stay mad all day! :wink:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby ^Rhino! » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Ratty wrote:Reminds me of 'Devil's Postpile' in the Mammoth Lakes area. As a kid we always made the long windey ride down an unpaved road to climb the pile and hike back to Rainbow falls. One year the stream was FILLED with floating rocks. Where they came from and where they ended up is something I liked to think about. (Still do).

Bodie ghost town was on a simular unpaved road.

Probably pumice. Save a couple, grind them up, add them to a soap you're making, and voila......instant LAVA soap. Use just the rock itself to abrade warts, thick skin, and to finely grind off the ends of finger and toenails.

They actually had giant 'rafts' of pumice floating in the sea near Jakarta when Krakatoa blew........
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:19 pm

^Rhino! wrote:
They actually had giant 'rafts' of pumice floating in the sea near Jakarta when Krakatoa blew........

This is so cool. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:37 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
^Rhino! wrote:

This is so cool. 8)

Apparently, they had corpses on those rafts, a detail that had me imagining how they got on there when I read it... I suppose if they lived through the initial eruption and then climbed on these rafts, which doesn't make much sense, because I don't see the eruption as survivable when hot lava is falling on you... Or they could have died and the pumice got underneath... crowbars?
To the best of my recollection, Winchester didn't explain. Although, I don't suppose the corpses were particularly forthcoming either.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:55 pm

This morning I was treated to a unique experience . . .

I was walking to the bus stop in the hopes of catching the bus to work, stepped off the curb, saw a cop car approaching and amended my trajectory a little--walked the additional 10 feet to the corner before primly crossing South, and then East. The bus was not yet in sight. I started playing around with my phone, checking the ETA of the bus.

It was then that I noticed that what appeared to be the same cop car was now parked 50 feet West of me. "How curious," I thought. "I wonder if he's watching me? I didn't jaywalk."

Just as my bus was about to arrive, the cop car pulled forward into the bus zone and the officer got out. He was tall & bald with sleepy blue eyes.

"I'm going to miss my bus," I said forlornly. And indeed, it did then zoom right past me.

He told me he wanted to ask me a few questions. Where I had I been this morning?

"Home," I said.
"That's the only place?"
"Yes."
"Where do you live?"
I named the intersection nearest home.

I told him that I had paid my rent that morning just an hour before; my landlord could verify that. He asked for my identification and I gave it to him, upon which he got back into his car and no doubt referenced a great empty nothingness, not even the jaywalking tickets I so richly deserve. I felt confident that I would be exonerated of any wrong-doing, but my heart hammered nonetheless. I started thinking of the way I was holding my wallet, my coat, about every movement I made. And my Burner brain wondered if they would ask if they could search me, and if I would enjoy it when I told them "no".

While he was doing this, a second cop car arrived from the East and parked behind the first. He had backup. Good lord.

Finally, the bald cop got out of his car and walked back to me, just as the police cruiser behind him used their loudspeaker: "It's not her."'

Heh. Ya think?

"Yeah, not with a record like that," he said, looking a little sheepish as he returned my driver's license.
"NO record," I said. "Nothing! I've never been accused of anything. Never even ticketed. . . .What was I supposed to have done?"
"A woman punched an employee at the Value Village," he said.
I laughed. Fisticuffs in a thrift store!
"You matched a description," he said, " . . . grey hoodie, brown boots."
My sweater was grey and creme striped--no hood--but I suppose my boots were definitely brown. Heh.

"I've missed my bus," I said pointedly.
"Where do you work?"
I named the place.
"I work for the state," I added bizarrely, still incredulous. "I can't just go around punching people."

(Surely this hasn't stopped anyone in the past, but it seemed like the thing to say at the time.)

"I can't take you that far," he said.
"I'll take her," said a shorter dark-haired cop in shades.
"Thank you."
"You can even ride in the front."
"Well, I would hope so."

I chatted up the cop who drove me to work. (He's from North Carolina.) I also thought about asking him for a ride-along sometime, but realized I should probably do that separately.

I caught a glimpse of his screen before he cleared it, and saw something about a person with her credit card over the limit. Hee. I wonder now if that had anything to do with the assault--if someone's card had been declined or confiscated.

He admitted that my outfit resembled--but did not match--the one in the description.

"What race was the perpetrator?" I asked him curiously. "There's not a whole lot of mixed-racial people around here. Was the person African-American? Latina? I've been mistaken for Puerto Rican."

I figured it would be much more likely that I had been mistaken for either of those than the possibility of some rare, mixed-race unicorn running around assaulting people in the North End. And if there was one such girl, I definitely wanted to know about her. I'd have to start keeping a daily alibi.

The cop tapped a few keys on his computer, bringing up the original statement.

"She was . . . white, about 25, medium build."

I laughed and laughed, thinking "I know my tan has worn off, but this is ridiculous!"

I guess there's a first time for everything. And I don't mind being mistaken for 25.

Man . . . people of color are so tempting to question that we get dragged into things even when the perpetrator is pale . . . :lol:

Savannah

Postby aserendipity » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Oh Savannah !
..how brave you are not to over respond when in perceived danger
I usually punch or stop

About underground spaces
interesting how none of you is mentioning the nuclear tunnels which are of course forever
aserendipity

Postby aserendipity » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Unjohn
I do need to use your wonderful method myself; but from the "I don't have a husband so I can kick myself for being so ..."
Thanks for the new self argument
xoA.
aserendipity

Postby ygmir » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:15 pm

wow Savannah.

sort of an adventure, really. Sorry it had to happen to you, though.
And I'm impressed at your composure and prescience of mind in your actions.........good on ya!!

I've been the focus of mistaken identity and address, which almost ended my life 25 years ago, when drawn down on my a dozen or so blacked out narc. special ops cops, told to like down and don't flinch, in the dirt. And, my friend and I had litteraly just come back from a gun show and unloaded.........5 mins earlier and they would have rolled up on us carrying several fire arms each. And then, when "the boss" rolled up (after any action would have been over), he yelled at them:: "stand down, stand down, wrong house men, I said rock house, this is just a rock wall by the road".............

so yeah, good on ya for cruisin through.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:29 pm

Hahahahahaha, Savannah, I have NO PROBLEM understanding why a couple of men would want to stop and have a chat with you, my dear, under any flimsy pretext. 8) I am only surprised that they didn't offer to buy you breakfast, do your laundry, alphabetize your DVDs... :lol: :lol: :lol: Anything to spend some time basking in your glow.

Yggy, though, hmmm... I can see why they would want a whole SWAT team to hold YOU at bay.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Elorrum » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:07 pm

re: self argument. I seem to be most vocal with myself about my shortcomings when I am washing my hair. Shower masks the noise I guess.
Yes, a model of poise, and grace in a bizarre situation, that's you, Savannah.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby Savannah » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:07 pm

ygmir wrote:wow Savannah.

And I'm impressed at your composure and prescience of mind in your actions.........good on ya!!

I'm a sensitive person, but I'm--usually--hard to rattle. I don't want to give anyone the satisfaction. :)

Savannah

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:11 pm

They can smell fear!!!

So can I!!!

OK, who stepped in the fear on the way in here? :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ygmir » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Savannah wrote:

I'm a sensitive person, but I'm--usually--hard to rattle. I don't want to give anyone the satisfaction. :)

well, as a friend, (which IMHO, grants me license), I'm proud of you! on so many levels, you handled that with aplomb
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:27 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby ^Rhino! » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:05 pm

Savannah wrote:

Savannah, you did exactly the right thing. Well done on a whole bunch of levels. I'm pleased to have met you this year at the meet and greet, and now I'm even more in awe of your grace under pressure. You are my new heroine.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:16 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion