The Bar 2014 Edition

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: The Bar 2014 Edition

Postby Elliot » Thu May 15, 2014 9:05 am

MyDearFriend wrote:... after our lunch with Elliot that same day. ...
Clean shirt not required,...

Good, because I wasn't planning to wear anything. :wink:
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 15, 2014 9:33 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
trilobyte wrote:I don't want to in any way, shape, or form be an apologist for those lazy storytellers in Los Angeles, but could this represent a cultural shift also recently expressed by the legalization of pot in Washington and Colorado? Jokes often exist at those awkward points, after all.

That's basically the way it goes. The movies cater to what the target demographic (which I'm 30 years older than) wants to see. It's not that the kids don't want nudity anymore, it's that they don't need to go to the movies to get it. There's plenty on original cable tv shows (huzzah!), and we've got that whole internet thing going on. But the bodily function humor and drug use gags bring 'em in.

@AntiM - I saw the same show, and cringed when I saw it too. We're in that awkward phase, where a tiny bit about it is known and hack writers will drop Burning Man references in, but it gets completely lost in translation unless the casting director, costume designer, makeup, or director doesn't really get it. Ah well.

Whew, the week's almost done, and in SF it's been something of a scorcher. A whole bunch of record high temps were recorded in the bay area yesterday, and I think today's gonna get even hotter. I'm hoping to get some time to work on a couple fun projects and knock out a few errands before the day is through, then I'll meet the girlie and some friends I don't get to see enough of at a nearby place for some kind of drinks thing. I've still got a bunch of courseware and lessons to go through on this massive big software program, but my brain's begging me to take a day off from that to try and do those other things.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ygmir » Thu May 15, 2014 9:58 am

*shuffles in, makes CCC*
HI gang!

MDF: was it Tues. or Wed.? not that it matters, when you get here.
you two are going to have a blast!! I'll be watching for breaking news........."local campground erupts in laugh riot, fun overflows to general population".
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 15, 2014 10:41 am

Woohoo for a big project finally wrapping and getting released into the wild this morning.... where's the champagne???
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby ygmir » Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 am

trilobyte wrote:Woohoo for a big project finally wrapping and getting released into the wild this morning.... where's the champagne???

yay!! details man! details!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby ^Rhino! » Thu May 15, 2014 12:50 pm

VultureChow wrote:Rhino- Mazel Tov on the new partner. You are indeed awesome; I'm glad someone realizes it.

Almost threw down at my local bar tonight. This chick was yelling at and being verbally abusive to a friend there. I asked if he had dated her, cause usually that level of hostility implies previous boot-knocking. But no. She's just a local psycho.

I really dislike women who are abusive towards men who they know will not fight back. So I stood up and asked if there was a problem. Her issue today was that she had asked him for a club soda and a napkin and he had ignored her. I laughed in her face and she walked off making fun of my hair to her friends.

The friends came back later to apologize for her. Major issues there.

Why, THANK YOU VultureChow! It is much appreciated. Why it took so long for someone to accept ME as ME is still a point I'm clueless on.

Gee, it doesn't take a whole lot of sense to figure out why your friend ignored the psycho bitch, and rightfully so. She doesn't have just 'issues', it seems she has the entire 'policy statement' labeled "LOOK, I'M AN ASSHOLE!" on the folder file cover. I won't fight back with a woman either. You choose your friends pretty well. Women to me always have been worthy of respect - I open doors for little old ladies even if I lose my place in the line one or two spots. I'd rather be remembered as someone who gave a damn while he was living, and one who did the 'right thing', tham as an opportunistic ego-driven jerk. Interesting moments sometimes arise as a resutl.

There was a black woman behind me in line at the grocery store who only had one item. I asked her to go on ahead (it gave me time to get my coupons out in any case) and she asked me up front whether I was doing it because she was black.

I looked at her straight in the eye and said, "No, I'm just being courteous to a fellow human being." and meaning it.

She cried out, "Now THAT'S what it's all about. Color blind!", and planted a big kiss on my cheek.

With a twinkle in my eye I responded, 'actually, it's my Dad who's color blind....red-green color blind since he was born. I see OK." She laughed, and then asked very nicely to introduce me to her husband, who was standing off to one side...turns out he's an educator, and was quite impressed with the way I handled myself, and gave me his card...he also does investment counseling. You never know what can happen.

The point is this: VultureChow, you get much respect from me. You do the right thing. And it can be fun, if we hold our tempers and see how situations unfold. At that point, we can move in and do the most good.

Currently, I'm working on my two presentations for the playa at home and I chose the Playa Dust one first. Then I'll do the one on the so-called but false "Black Rock Meteorite Impact", in case any one is interested. With that, the homestead, the new girlfirend, and the normal workload, my plate is full.

YUM!
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby ^Rhino! » Thu May 15, 2014 12:51 pm

trilobyte wrote:Woohoo for a big project finally wrapping and getting released into the wild this morning.... where's the champagne???

Congrats, Bro!

***pours the champagne*****
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

^Rhino!

Postby fernley1 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:15 pm

Good Thursday all
Rhino, I will try to make it to hear your talks this year, sounds so interesting. And liked your grocery store story.
Trilo, congrats on finishing your big project, that always feels good to finish a big project.
Ygmir, keep getting better.
As for myself, I'm FINALLY rid of the cold I had for the last 3 weeks.
fernley1

Burning Since: 2013

Postby ^Rhino! » Thu May 15, 2014 3:03 pm

fernley1 wrote:Good Thursday all
Rhino, I will try to make it to hear your talks this year, sounds so interesting. And liked your grocery store story.
Trilo, congrats on finishing your big project, that always feels good to finish a big project.
Ygmir, keep getting better.
As for myself, I'm FINALLY rid of the cold I had for the last 3 weeks.

It'll be at Earth Guardians' on the Esplanade. All are invited. I hope to educate and entertain. You never know what could happen. I'm having a blast just planning the presentation. I'll be using a flip chart and magic markers. I haven't had this much fun since grad school. Powerpoint makes it too damn easy.

Glad your cold is better. I hope to meet you on playa, my friend, if not at the presentations then at the meet and greet.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

Postby FIGJAM » Thu May 15, 2014 4:06 pm

Has Goathead been let out again?

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elliot » Thu May 15, 2014 4:10 pm

Looks to me like it might be a bird or two. Flying from left to right, and banking, showing the full wingspan.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Elorrum » Thu May 15, 2014 7:44 pm

Oho!

I got out of work just in time. I was close to telling a couple of people to perform unnatural acts upon their bodies. They came at me with some irrelevant time consuming shit with like 20 minutes left in the day. Seriously, I apologized to a vendor who wanted to impress upon me the fact that a project I had absolutely nothing to do with was not up to standards. I told him that the person who had made the call and executed it was standing right there with us, another manager. He asked who my department manager was, and I said it was me. He kept saying that I was supposed to care about this, was I saying that I didn't care? He was saying to the people around me, "She doesn't care." I apologized that there was absolutely nothing I could do with that knowledge, and that I wasn't going to do anything either. A little voice in my head asked me where my soothing kiss ass voice was. "Say yes, and go on vacation!" All I could think of was the line in City Slickers: "if you're gonna kill me, get on with it; if not, shut the hell up; I'm on vacation."

I feel like a watermelon seed that got squirted out from between two points of pressure. FREE, 10 days off!!!!! ROAD TRIP!!!! CAMPING!!!! SOCIALIZE!!!!
Now I just need to get ready. Ice chest, flashlight, sleeping bags. keys, wallet. should do it.
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby gaminwench » Thu May 15, 2014 7:49 pm

*pours a healthy shot of Bushmills and hands it to Ellorum*

TOAST!!! :D
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Elorrum » Thu May 15, 2014 8:30 pm

Thanks, gaminwench. Yes, a Toast indeed! Freedom, and relaxation, good air and a tall sky.
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby ygmir » Thu May 15, 2014 9:13 pm

well, the BBQ will be ready for you here, Elorrum!!
hope you have a great trip! you two, it's gotta be a barrel of monkeys.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu May 15, 2014 10:30 pm

Yes, yes it will, and no fucks will be given. 8) Looking forward to: trees, who majestically just stand there, living their great long lives; ditto mountains. I am really looking forward to putting my mundane dramas in perspective, letting my hair down, and having some fun. Not to mention spending time with some really great people. 8) 8) 8)

Elliot my dear, it's okay with me if you don't wear any clothes, but remember it was you who decided we should take you out to lunch instead of bringing it in. :?

Yggy, if you are not there when we arrive (on Tuesday!) we will camp on your porch and make ourselves at home. I am confident that Clyde will permit this. :lol:

Ratty!!! What is that book you were talking about? Neighbors? I am always looking for another good book.

Aserendipity, I would love to see you, and I hope it works out for us!

Heat wave in SF, Trilo? That's easy to pack for :lol: but, also expecting rain and cold and maybe snow in the mountains. Pack all the things!!!... hahahahaha not quite.

So exciting!!!
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby ygmir » Thu May 15, 2014 10:43 pm

HI MDF!!
I'd not worry about snow. All the other things, but I think that's not going to be where you are going.
I look forward to you guys arrival! I'll try to find a pretty outfit.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby gaminwench » Thu May 15, 2014 10:52 pm

Since they're arriving Tuesday, a tutu would be most appropriate (and fetching, on you!) ...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri May 16, 2014 6:22 am

He looks real good in a sarong, too. 8) 8) 8)

Okay now, :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby Joeln » Fri May 16, 2014 6:28 am

Cheers! :coffee: :coffee:
Collapse first and avoid the rush
Joeln

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby AntiM » Fri May 16, 2014 6:30 am

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Back atcha!

Larry came home long enough to mow the lawn, run a load of laundry and take me to Winco. And stuff. Four hours. Been on the road three weeks. At this rate, any projects we planned will be ready for 2020.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby aserendipity » Fri May 16, 2014 7:06 am

Yay!

A brand new day and it is so delicious and cool again

Enjoy yourselves dear All !
xoA.
aserendipity

Postby fernley1 » Fri May 16, 2014 7:51 am

Happy friday everyone.
Still hot here one more day in Northern Nevada.
Starting to get ready for next weekend Black Rock Rendezvou, a fun weekend on the playa.
Yes, this time of year you never know how the weather will be.
3 or 4 years ago on Memorial day weekend, I was at an offroad race in northern Nevada, and it snowed 6 inches.
It was so cold and windy the grandkids wound not get out of the car.
Hope all travelers have a good time.
fernley1

Burning Since: 2013

Postby ygmir » Fri May 16, 2014 7:51 am

*shuffles in, makes CCC*
wow, those fires in So. Cal............I hope Jella and all down that way are ok.
one more week and I can get stitches out, I hope........so much to do!!

TDIF!!

*strokes Juke, heads for ROS*
[media]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby trilobyte » Fri May 16, 2014 11:17 am

Happy Friday indeed!

I figured I'd mention this one in here too, since there's a fair number of people within reach of the SF bay area, and we like to be social, on occasion. The Flaming Lotus Girls' Soma installation is going up on the SF waterfront, and having a big 'ol free party on the first Friday in June - details are here.

Last night was fun. After a full day of nonsense, I met up with Pandorra and some of our friends who also commute to SF by train at a fancy new brewpub near the train station. It's a second location from a place that I've enjoyed over the years on Haight, and I was thinking that it'd be a minor variation of that joint... conveniently located within stumbling distance. Boy was I wrong, holy shit! I think they took every nickel they ever made with the place on Haight and sank it into this place - hiring artists and architects to turn the place into what looked like the inside of an abandoned 1930's factory! Well, the romanticized version of that. Really great stuff on all fronts. A ridiculous number of their own craft beers, fancy schmancy cocktails, and then a separate counter operation on the other side of the room for food. Instead of being a sit down restaurant joint like the other place, this had something more like a lunch counter, serving up some of the best BBQ I've had in a while. You don't order fancy plates and dishes, you order your meat by the pound, and sides (including many veggie options) by the container. Then they just pile it onto metal trays and hand you as many paper plates as you need and off you go to one of the bench seats. Damn, that food was good.

I was also really happy to count 8 different places on my walk between home and this brewpub joint where a person could get a drink and maybe a bite. There's even a great ice cream parlor in there too, though they're only open during the daytime. Could be the makings of some kind of pub crawl at some point...

I'm off to try and get some stuff done, then tonight we're going to a thing to help support Peter Hudson's new zoetrope, and then Maker Faire and Godzilla over the weekend :D
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby aserendipity » Fri May 16, 2014 3:31 pm

glad about your healing progress Yggy

Trilo, that all sounds wonderful !
what and where is that pub?

Peter's work ?
please keep us up dated ...

between that and Alien Siege , and Makers Faire some serious creativity in session

but no , obligations rule; UCB graduation, first son's b'day (and time out I hope to mng MDF)
xoA.
aserendipity

Postby *Kat* » Fri May 16, 2014 3:38 pm

Wow Trilo, that really sounds great! What's the name of the place? I might stop in SF on my way to Reggae on the River, would sure love to squeeze that in.

I'm so jealous of everybody who gets to go to Makers Faire. I've been wanting to go for such a long time.
Sometimes even 15 minutes on the street clock is a world away! A letter of the alphabet can be an entire light-year, a galaxy, a universe. - AntiM
*Kat*

Burning Since: 2010

Postby ygmir » Fri May 16, 2014 4:41 pm

*shuffles in*
dang stomach ache.........well, maybe I just did a little too much today. But I was really careful!!

wow, Trilo.......it's descriptions like that, that, almost get me to go to "the big city" and brave the mass of humanity and not be scardey and crying.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Patsh » Fri May 16, 2014 5:02 pm

Goodness, Yggy... I sure hope you haven't damaged anything... :?

....well, maybe I just did a little too much today. But I was really careful!!

'a little too much' for you is a full day's heavy labour for the average Joe out there! :shock:
Here's hoping you'll be OK in a matter of minutes!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby magicmarty » Fri May 16, 2014 5:49 pm

What Patsh said.

Get to see Elorrum, MDF and maybe Fishy as well on Sunday. Hug some trees too

(((LF)))