Don't let em kid you Elliot!

It's all about the bus. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Re: The Bar 2014 Edition

Postby Elliot » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:48 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Don't let em kid you Elliot!

It's all about the bus. 8)

Since you bring it up.... That old bus and I had a rough day yesterday. I was all set to take her out for her first drive of the season, and we made it all of two blocks before she quit. My fault of course for not changing the fuel filters often enough. So I had to change the filters in the middle of 18th Avenue, which is a minor thru-fare. This with visions of a $2,000 tow bill dancing in front of my eyes. I'm still not back to myself, 26 hours later.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:25 pm

My premonitions are sketchy at the best of times.

Hope everything is ok now! :shock:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby swampdog » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi folks. Just sticking my (oversized funny shaped) nose in. I see it looks like mostly the same ol' bunch of cantankerous coots in this joint. No offense, I use the term "coots" with brotherly affection. Us coots gotta stick together.

I'm in the process of opening a bar up here in the far northwest corner of the country, me and the software/IT gig parted ways amicably a bit ago. I've been busy like crazy, but somehow decided to check eplaya out before going home tonite.

So this year I've got a good excuse for missing the meet n greet, I'm not going to be able to make it to TTITD. Last two years, playa time got me. Maybe next year if the bar is well started I'll be able to come.

Anyhoo. Best to all of yez, mebbe next year.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby Patsh » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:31 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
Elliot wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:Elliot is quite capable of diverting traffic even when upright, Unjon 8) so, no need to stress yourself. 8) 8) 8)
... ...

I'm told I represent a traffic hazard, causing wrecks and traffic jams, by the amazing attractiveness of my usual around-camp and bicycle-repair costume.

Yes.

Yes, you do. 8)

especially when upright :wink:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby unjonharley » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:13 am

Morning,

The front of our house is all window.. We say looking out into the trees is Watching the nature channel.. My kitty boy spend most of his time bird watching..

This morning a Merlin falcon brought his lunch and settled down on a branch to eat.. He had bagged a dove.. He only ate the guts. Spit out the feathers and dropped the rest for me to clean up.. Damn little mooper
unjonharley

Postby aserendipity » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:39 pm

thanks for sharing
aserendipity

Postby Thecatman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:46 pm

We have a bird feeder in the backyard and every morning Diesel will run from the livingroom window to the bedroom window to the back sliding door and back and forth. Especially when a dove or quail are lurking.
The light rain we had yesterday turned to wet snow around 7:30 last night. No accumulation here but minor accumulation in Cason City, more in the mountains.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Joeln » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:08 pm

A friend of mine had a cat that would hide in the bushes on the front lawn when the sprinklers were on.
Then when the birds feathers were all wet he would make his move.
Smart cat.
Collapse first and avoid the rush
Joeln

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby aserendipity » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:48 pm

not talking about cats ,or birds
sorry

just watched a bit of tv, Brit Floyd at red rock in 2011
not the same as the first time of "Dark Side .." decades ago in Topanga
rhythmn changed ..whaddayou think
but good and still powerful
I think that being older now I prefer a different speed to bliss

xoA
aserendipity

Postby lucky420 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:57 pm

swampdog wrote:Hi folks. Just sticking my (oversized funny shaped) nose in. I see it looks like mostly the same ol' bunch of cantankerous coots in this joint. No offense, I use the term "coots" with brotherly affection. Us coots gotta stick together.

I'm in the process of opening a bar up here in the far northwest corner of the country, me and the software/IT gig parted ways amicably a bit ago. I've been busy like crazy, but somehow decided to check eplaya out before going home tonite.

So this year I've got a good excuse for missing the meet n greet, I'm not going to be able to make it to TTITD. Last two years, playa time got me. Maybe next year if the bar is well started I'll be able to come.

Anyhoo. Best to all of yez, mebbe next year.

Hola swamp dog :coffee: :mrgreen: Wishing you much success
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby aserendipity » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Wishing you great good times with your venture

if you are as far as possible for you to live toward blissful conscious behavior , then all is well
xoA.
aserendipity

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:34 pm

aserendipity wrote: blissful conscious behavior

That is what I need. 8) 8) 8)

Thank you, my dear A, thank you so much.

I am starting to regain my equilibrium here, after too much stress. Happy to be in one piece, catching my breath for the next round of drama. Holding on to my dreams of camping under redwoods with Elorrum, May 17...

8) 8) 8)

blissful conscious behavior
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby Elorrum » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:31 pm

My Dear Friend, you might then appreciate the blizzard of gear all over my apartment. I have multiples of pretty much everything. I thought this would be a chance to reduce. I made a huge mess, and then felt the next indicated thing was to roll up loose coinage. Displacement. No I'm not stressed about it. It's kind of fun to have a free flowing day in a mess that gets smaller as the day progresses. Overall, I got a lot done. Company is coming.

If you like, grab the bottle of Bushmills as we swing by.
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:35 pm

Yah hooie!!!

*grabs bottle*

I think the "spread it all out & look at it" method is the best way to organize anything, really. 8) 8) 8) And stacking coins helps too; a very orderly activity there.

My evening was spent moving Cosi fan tutte to my MP3 player so, I am making progress as well!!!

*pours a well earned reward*
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby aserendipity » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:11 pm

me too !

but I just want to look at it all
see you
xoA.
aserendipity

Postby burner von braun » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:19 pm

Dang! I had just about completed what was likely my single greatest eplaya post ever, filled with brilliant conjecture, passionate ideas; yes, a wondrous thing it was.. and then my smartphone went all dumb and shit and my post for the ages is now forever lost to the ether..

*shakes fist at ether*

So now you guys are back to being stuck with my usual lame blathering instead! Woohoo!

Oh well, it's good to see Godzilla and MyDearSidekick tear-assing around the bar!

I spent a good portion of the weekend cutting down dead trees. It's nice to be outdoors and all, but I'm none to happy seeing the ash trees dying out around here. They make, or used to make up a substantial portion of my shady little refuge out back.

I had bonfire4.0 this evening, and had some good burn time before the expected storm front rolled in, the wind picked up, and I had to *gulp*.. put out the fire in mid burn.

Good to see SwampDog stopping in. I never did hear if pigs flew at the burn last year.

*polishes off the rest of the Woodford Reserve*
Great to see Sadie, Joeln, and other new folks fitting in so well around here!

I too am enjoying all of the geology talk ^Rhino!. It's funny to see just how it hits a nerve with so many people. I think a lot of it is in how well you present the material.

Well, getting late here..
*waves back to Patsh and Marty from the other day*

'nite all
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby fernley1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:42 pm

Greetings all.
Spent the day today up in the black rock desert. We hiked around the Cassidy mine area. We then drove down to the playa to check it out. It was dry, so we drove on the playa to 12 mile entrance. It was very windy out there, but no dust was blowing around. When driving on the playa, we had a only a little dust.
It is so much fun drivind on the playa when the conditionals are so nice.
fernley1

Burning Since: 2013

Postby AntiM » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:41 am

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Had thunder hail last night, and a hard freeze warning for tonight. I'm not sure if I should go uncover my tender plants, or leave them buttoned up for a day.

Swampdog, does your bar have a cool name? Or a playa name so we can dream about it?
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby sadie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:02 am

Good Morning My Friends. :coffee: :coffee:
*sets out a new bottle of Woodford Reserve and some Patron for Rhino!*
*waves and smiles at aserendipity, antiM and burner von braun*

Sounds like everyone is on the move and getting things done. Elorrum and My Dear Friend, your camping trip sounds like an excellent way to spend some time. I spent some time this week-end finishing up the "un-camping" chores from my Easter trip. My tiny house has camping gear all over the place. My goal was to sort the non-burner stuff from the burner stuff and take some serious inventory on what I still need/want. I made pretty good progress.

Still haven't gotten "the call" from my daughter. I have a bag packed and can be there within about 2.5 hours whenever this baby decides to make her debut. Any minute now..!

My pup, Stella, has developed a bladder infection. The clue was when she walked right up to me Friday night, squatted and peed right there on the carpet...this is extremely unusual behavior for her - she was so ashamed.. I googled what to do, have been dosing her with grape seed and juniper berry extract all week-end, and have a call into the vet for some antibiotics already this morning.

May is a busy month here at the theatre. A lot of end-of-school concerts/recitals and such. Yippy.

Gotta run -
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!
sadie

Camp Name: Solomio

Postby ^Rhino! » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:06 am

burner von braun wrote:Dang! I had just about completed what was likely my single greatest eplaya post ever, filled with brilliant conjecture, passionate ideas; yes, a wondrous thing it was.. and then my smartphone went all dumb and shit and my post for the ages is now forever lost to the ether..

*shakes fist at ether*

So now you guys are back to being stuck with my usual lame blathering instead! Woohoo!

Oh well, it's good to see Godzilla and MyDearSidekick tear-assing around the bar!

I spent a good portion of the weekend cutting down dead trees. It's nice to be outdoors and all, but I'm none to happy seeing the ash trees dying out around here. They make, or used to make up a substantial portion of my shady little refuge out back.

I had bonfire4.0 this evening, and had some good burn time before the expected storm front rolled in, the wind picked up, and I had to *gulp*.. put out the fire in mid burn.

Good to see SwampDog stopping in. I never did hear if pigs flew at the burn last year.

*polishes off the rest of the Woodford Reserve*
Great to see Sadie, Joeln, and other new folks fitting in so well around here!

I too am enjoying all of the geology talk ^Rhino!. It's funny to see just how it hits a nerve with so many people. I think a lot of it is in how well you present the material.

Well, getting late here..
*waves back to Patsh and Marty from the other day*

'nite all

***Rhino comes THUNDERING in from the Serengeti, his eyes filled with the happiness of living another day......****

Blather? I don't think this qualifies. This is a nice missive on the beauty of ePlaya.

Thank you for the compliment on the way I present geology. This stuff can be absolutely fascinating at times to me, and I absolutely love to share fun stuff. I get the honor this year of not just giving one, but TWO talks at Earth Guardians this year (again, thanks to Trilo for giving me the nudge in the right direction to find out who to contact). The first talk will deal with playa dust. Yep, that's right, there are those of us who have a second career studying the stuff and where it occurs and the hows, whys, and what it's composed of. Playas (dry lake beds) have an added engineering geology interest for me since they happen to be made of wind-blown silt particles, just like loess. Loess is one of the reasons that our nation has an agricultural heartland. If soil development has a chance to work, and you get a thick rich organic surface horizon, you get the soils like they have in Iowa, mollisols they're called by soil scientists, and they produce much of the heartland's grain for feed and consumption (and fuel now, too with ethanol plants popping up all over the place). Unaltered loess stands on its own in a vertical column, which is why it's perfect to cut through to make road cuts, which is where I come in. I've got analysis data from spectrophotometry of playa dust, and BRC this summer marks the first time I'll present the data to playa denizens...research fully funded by me, but worthy in that I can discuss the health aspects of dust (it's NOT all that dangerous unless you're breathing it 6 months/year), and how to get it off cars and all the nooks, crannies, and crevices of your stuff (better living through chemistry?)

The second talk will be about the Black Rock Desert itself, and why it's NOT a meteorite impact, as has been suggested by one non-scientist. That idea appeared in print a few years ago in Discover magazine, and the data is so full of holes that it's a sieve. I'll show people the holes and what good meteoritic science is all about with examples from across the US. Then, you can make up your own mind.
I'm betting that truth eventually will kill this idea from ever reappearing in print.

Wednesday night, I go off-comm around here, and head towards Interfuse 2014, my regional burn. I can't wait until Saturday morning, and Mad Hatter will have his famous 'heart attack on a plate' pancakes, made with bacon, sausage, and m&ms. I'm taking my famous bacon-bourbon jam, and enchiladas.

Best of luck to ya, burner von braun.....

Let me sing you a story of a man of renown,
A man whose writing is ruled by the ether,
Call him a burner he won't even frown,
"Burner? Hell yes!" says burner von braun.

There ya go. Enjoy.

And thank you from the bottom of my heart for the Patron, sadie. I'll have to bring some Corralejo for you on the playa to try. Great tequila.

***^Rhino! heads back to the Serengeti to graze and put out more forest fires. To be continued.......***
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby Joeln » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:24 am

^Rhino! wrote:Let me sing you a story of a man of renown,
A man whose writing is ruled by the ether,
Call him a burner he won't even frown,
"Burner? Hell yes!" says burner von braun.

Sung, of course, to the tune of the similarly named Tom Lehrer song.
Joeln

Postby ygmir » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:34 am

*shuffles in*
Hi gang.
16 hour drive home, got in at midnight....drove through blizzards, sun, rain, and wind........fun if not tiring!

Big thanks to LF for her place to recuperate, being sick in the middle of a vacation, I was lucky to be there when it happened. But, what a drag to have a sick Viking on the couch.

Boy, talk about fun geology! yesterday, we left Mt. Ranier, heading over White Pass, seeing all those formations and such in the road cuts. Super good examples of gross faulting and such. Even saw, in a slide, where a lava tube had filled with another material, and when the host rock slid, it left 8' or so of the "tube filling" (Basalt?), sticking out like a round stone rod, 6' or so dia., then down the east side, across the Columbia River Gorge, across the lava fields and flows of central Oregon, then parallel to the Black Rock desert, to Reno, and home across Donner Summit. Pretty much "see it all" in the world of gross geology on that trip.......well, a lot anyway.

*heads to ROS to collapse*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ^Rhino! » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:39 am

ygmir wrote:*shuffles in*
Hi gang.
16 hour drive home, got in at midnight....drove through blizzards, sun, rain, and wind........fun if not tiring!

Big thanks to LF for her place to recuperate, being sick in the middle of a vacation, I was lucky to be there when it happened. But, what a drag to have a sick Viking on the couch.

Boy, talk about fun geology! yesterday, we left Mt. Ranier, heading over White Pass, seeing all those formations and such in the road cuts. Super good examples of gross faulting and such. Even saw, in a slide, where a lava tube had filled with another material, and when the host rock slid, it left 8' or so of the "tube filling" (Basalt?), sticking out like a round stone rod, 6' or so dia., then down the east side, across the Columbia River Gorge, across the lava fields and flows of central Oregon, then parallel to the Black Rock desert, to Reno, and home across Donner Summit. Pretty much "see it all" in the world of gross geology on that trip.......well, a lot anyway.

*heads to ROS to collapse*

***^Rhino! comes THUNDERING in for his afternoon visit, but he makes sure he wipes his feet before he enters.....***

Yes, Joeln....guilty as charged for lifting the song lyrics in part from Tom Lehrer, pianist, songwriter and Harvard mathematician. Satire means I can get away with it.

Ygmir, sounds like you had a great trip. Just out of curiosity, do you know any of the American Indian cultural legends that accompany their origin mythos regarding those lava fields? It might be interesting to compare cultural legends of those Indians with those of the Indians of the southwest. Among the Dine (Navajo to us white folk) there is a cultural story that says once long aga the formation we call Shiprock (an extinct volcanic diatreme, or eroded neck) became a refuge for the Dine who were being attacked by enemies. The rock sprouted wings and flew away, hence the Dine name, tse b'it ai, or 'rock with wings'. They also regard Mount Taylor (near Flagstaff) as sacred; it was the source of Ye-iitsoh, an evil god who got his head cut off by two good gods; Ye-iitsioh's blood flowed down the side of the mountain, and flowed down the other side of the mountain and solidified in the lava fields between Grants and Gallup, NM. And those are just TWO of the stories.

You should have stopped at a restaurant before you got to Donner Peak. Hopefully a sit-down place where they have a maitre 'd....then, when they ask,"What is your name and how many in your party?"

"Um....the name is Donner...party of 6, oops, I mean 5, ooops, I mean 4......"

I know, cheap laughs. It's what I'm best at.

Planning for this year's comedy trifecta is under way. Part 1: I'm going to Bacon, Missouri to buy bacon. I need a farmer who's selling. Part 2: In downtown Columbia, Missouri, I'm gathering a crowd en masse to measure Short Street. How long is Short Street? But the best I'm saving for last. I'm going to Effingham Illinois.

While there, I'm going to a restaurant and ordering an "Effingham sandwich". I bet they'll bring me a fucking reuben instead.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

^Rhino!

Postby Joeln » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:50 am

Rhino, ya just have to use my favorite line from that song.

He's a writer of pith, but he thinks it's myth
He might make you laugh, but if he makes you frown
"That's not my department" says Burner Von Braun
Joeln

Postby ^Rhino! » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Well met, Joeln! Good job.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

Postby burner von braun » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks for the song! I think we just used up part of my '15 minutes of fame' allotment!

..and it's always fun to hear about firsthand trips to the playa fernley1, glad you had a good adventure.
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby ^Rhino! » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:21 pm

burner von braun wrote:Thanks for the song! I think we just used up part of my '15 minutes of fame' allotment!

..and it's always fun to hear about firsthand trips to the playa fernley1, glad you had a good adventure.

oh, no...we're at 2 and a half minutes of your 15....you're not getting off THAT easy......lol
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:27 pm

Famous is 15 minutes.............Infamous lasts FOREVER!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ^Rhino! » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:22 am

FIGJAM wrote:Famous is 15 minutes.............Infamous lasts FOREVER!!!!!!!!!! 8)

I was wondering why they referred to me as 'infamous'........hmmm.....brings back a good memory of a wonderful young lady I knew when I was in undergraduate school. She called me "incorrigible". Even at that tender young age I agreed. "Incorrigible and Infamous Rhino"?

Good morning to all.

***makes coffee - his personal Kona blend, and puts the carafe on the warmer.....***

Time to get moving.

You know how it is...another day, another dollar, but that highway keeps moving on......

[media]
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion