The Bar 2014 Edition

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: The Bar 2014 Edition

Postby aserendipity » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:23 am

Good Morning All !

Rhino, I did not score a tx but have many years of accumulated dust in bins
so please do share your talks

And Easter , for some of us who spent days following the Jesuits around the stations
and years of egg hunts
is still a big deal

chocolate excuse and family love
xoA.
aserendipity

Postby AntiM » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:43 am

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Missing my fuckos day here. I think I need hugs and dust. Will make art instead.

My garden is going nuts. I want to plant veggies, but must wait a couple weeks still. I have the hearty things in the ground, but Utah has sneaky spring snowstorms.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Joeln » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:57 am

(((AntiM)))

Bored as usual at work.
Been applying to two desirable employers forever it seems, got lots of "sorry" letters.
At least my boss is great, it's just everyone above him who isn't.
Collapse first and avoid the rush
Joeln

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby VultureChow » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:03 am

AntiM, I have a black thumb, so I respect anyone who can have a functioning garden. I think the only reason I haven't managed to kill my pets yet is that they can tell me when they are hungry, thirsty or in pain.

We got a nice little dusting of snow and ice here last night, which is not normal, though it is keeping with the crazy winter we had.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby AntiM » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:13 am

I have something of a black thumb, until I discovered tough plants. I still optimistically plant veggies. My pepper plants usually give me a couple peppers, and I get the occasional onion. Lettuce, maybe, and the raspberries, rhubarb and strawberries grow themselves. I cannot grow zucchini, a sure sign of a bad gardener.
AntiM

Postby lucky420 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:07 am

Hey can someone pass a couple of forks down to me.

I need to scratch my eyes out. Oh, ans a chopstick for my ears...

Allergies, fuck :(
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Elorrum » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:21 pm

oh poor Lucky. Sending antihistamine thoughts your way.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby trilobyte » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:33 pm

Boo on allergy nonsense, Lucky, I'm sorry to hear it. I'm not sure exactly when things spring around here, or if they're ever not quite springing and triggering some poor sensitive person's allergies. Our winters are milder than most places' springtime, and something always seems to be in season at the local farmer's market.

I don't really do plants, black thumb's a good term, I've tried a couple times on my own only to find them dying off despite my best efforts and help from outsiders. Pandorra used to have plants, but her cats got to them long before my influence caused them harm. We have different cats now, and the girl has been musing with the idea of growing herbs or plants or something. I've agreed that I'll keep a safe distance from any such endeavors.

Despite the nice weather and holiday weekend, I've been super busy all week... but it's been a good busy. A friend of mine also finally got his new album out the door too, I've been over the moon with joy on his behalf with the milestone, and really enjoying the sound of it. His style has really grown and evolved, a lot of the tunes have a really big, cinematic feel to them (which makes sense, he's done a few bits of soundtrack work and film-related projects in the 4 or 5 years since his last album came out). Between that and working on my soundcloud page and web site and some other recent inspirational musical arrivals I've had the sound cranking all week.

I'm off, I've got a new thin crust dough recipe to play with for tonight's pizza oven adventure, it's time for a beer!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:14 pm

ygmir wrote:*wanders in, makes CCC*
Hey Rhino! those talks sound interesting.

Hi MDF!
Hi fernley1!

Part of the Yggdrasil thing, for me, is a fascination with Ratatoskr.

How does Grai feel about that?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:08 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:*wanders in, makes CCC*
Hey Rhino! those talks sound interesting.

Hi MDF!
Hi fernley1!

Part of the Yggdrasil thing, for me, is a fascination with Ratatoskr.

How does Grai feel about that?

well, I just don't know..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby sadie » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:38 am

:coffee: :coffee: :D
Good Morning!
I am in a great mood today...I leave right after work for a 3 day camping trip. Woohoo!!.
There is a state park about 10 miles south of here that is great for a quick getaway. It will be the first real test run for some of the burner projects I've been working on. Stella the Wonder Dog gets to go with, and she is about to pee herself with excitement.

As I pulled up to work this morning, the marquee caught my eye... Obviously, the winds were strong last night. Who knows, maybe it will draw some younger patrons. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!
sadie

Camp Name: Solomio

Postby ygmir » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:58 am

*strolls in, starts ECM*
ha! Hi Sadie! nice marquee indeed!!
have fun camping!!

My irises are really doing nice this year. other stuff not so much, though. dang.
DSCN0243.JPG
DSCN0251.JPG
DSCN0252.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby ygmir » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:00 am

ok, a rodie, too:
DSCN0246.JPG

and maybe one lilac:
DSCN0250.JPG
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Savannah » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:32 pm

Lilacs are my absolute favorite. :)

Good Afternoon, All.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AntiM » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:16 pm

Beautiful irises and lilacs! Mine will come in during May. I have hyacinths and daffs for now, and a few tulips. My bleeding hearts are doing well, although the biggest one did not make a comeback. Looks like my columbines, except one, are going to be strong too.

My Siamese cat is sneezing like crazy. He has worse allergies to tree pollen then I do.
AntiM

Postby ^Rhino! » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:26 pm

I too must agree, ygmir, you have some absolutely beautiful irises and the lilacs are wonderful.

My landlord likes my 'garden'. I have some rather attractive slabs of rock that I've placed between some of the bushes that were planted next to the garage, one of which has entire Inoceramus clams from Kansas on it. That one is almost 4' long and weighs on the order of 250 pounds. It's too heavy to steal, and not worth enough to bother, but it looks nice.

I hope everyone is ready for spring. IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS, I'M GOING TO INTERFUSE! The tickets came in the mail yesterday.

"I am a Midwest Interranger, I live a life of danger...
I ride the edge of chaos with my friends,
And when the main burn is done, we blow shit up for fun,
And keep the place hopping 'til the end........" [apologies to Great White for ripping the tune]

I think I'm staying at ranger central again this year. I'm looking forward to seeing folks again this year. But this is just a warm-up.

In August, the truck is pointed west to BRC.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby VultureChow » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:41 pm

I left the office early with a bad cold, and it's only getting worse. Now I have a fever. I hope it's not what my dad had. His involved a hospital trip.

Rhino, I always love your rock talk. Geology was the first college level course I ever took. My clearest memory is of the professor passing around a soft, fibrous piece of rock and then freaking everyone out by announcing that it was asbestos. I had never realized it was a mineral.

Even today, driving through a slight pass cut out of a hillside, I find it so amazing to see the the different strata and realize that I'm looking back millions of years.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby ygmir » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:53 pm

VultureChow wrote:I left the office early with a bad cold, and it's only getting worse. Now I have a fever. I hope it's not what my dad had. His involved a hospital trip.

Rhino, I always love your rock talk. Geology was the first college level course I ever took. My clearest memory is of the professor passing around a soft, fibrous piece of rock and then freaking everyone out by announcing that it was asbestos. I had never realized it was a mineral.

Even today, driving through a slight pass cut out of a hillside, I find it so amazing to see the the different strata and realize that I'm looking back millions of years.

sometimes I feel the same when I shave.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Patsh » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:40 pm

ygmir wrote:
VultureChow wrote:I left the office early with a bad cold, and it's only getting worse. Now I have a fever. I hope it's not what my dad had. His involved a hospital trip.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yggy, how the heck do I get all this fruit salad out of my keyboard??
Not sure screen wipes will do...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby Elorrum » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:54 pm

whew. I have to go back to the 'Frican queen, and laugh forward.
Off to the southland tomorrow to help my nephew move back up here. No answers to many questions as to why. The last time I saw him, it was at Christmas, which was about 6 days after his wedding. and now he's single again. Very strange to go from the happiest beginning of a new family, and now, that is all gone. Everybody is healthy as far as I know, so just going separate ways after only 3 months.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby magicmarty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Did that work, Patsh? I've got the same problem! Good one YG

VC, I love the rock talk as well

Dives into the NEB

Cheers

(((LF)))
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty
magicmarty

Postby Bin Noddin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:32 pm

Happy Dance - Happy Dance - Karine and the Kat will be here this weekend - Happy Dance - Happy Dance - Whoop Whoop!! Ahoy, MyDearFriend - are you up for a drive to Annapolis?
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby ygmir » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:03 am

*wanders in, makes CCC*
dang, missed Bin!!

Hi Bin!!
are ya makin any headway on getting out here for the Hof party?

well, my house sitter is confirmed, so, off to the great North West for a road trip!
It sure is refreshing, to know a nice, trustworthy young person, to house/dog/feed the birds sit.
he's happy to get "out of his parents" house for a few days, I pay him a little, so it's worth while for him, and usually the house is cleaner when I get home than when I left.

if ya see a maroon Ford pickup with a PGE/BRC round door and tailgate emblem, it's probably me.
293728_10151231595527372_843672_n.jpg

I-5, 84 mostly.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby ^Rhino! » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:17 am

ygmir wrote:

I'm not even dating you as Pleistocene without proof from cosmogenic beryllium dating. You're not that old.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

^Rhino!

Postby ygmir » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:20 am

^Rhino! wrote:
ygmir wrote:

I'm not even dating you as Pleistocene without proof from cosmogenic beryllium dating. You're not that old.

well really, Rhino, isn't everything "cosmogenic"? a couple of radio nuclides, and our data is all out the window, yes?

now, if you wanna talk some nice Beryl crystals, some pencil size and up to a grass green.......just not clear, yet.................
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby fernley1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:25 am

Good friday all, weekend almost here.
VC, hope you get well soon.
Ygmir, have a fun time on your adventure.
fernley1

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Joeln » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:53 am

Good Morning all!
Glorious day off from work, loafing in bed for hours before even getting up.
:coffee: :mrgreen:
Collapse first and avoid the rush
Joeln

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby ^Rhino! » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:55 am

Ygmir, you're not old enough to remember panning in the Sutter gold rush of 1848, so you're definitely NOT over 150 years old. I'd put you in the upper part of the Anthropocene, part of the newly revised 'Recent" half of the Quaternary geologic period.

And you wanna talk beryls? Greenest hues are called 'emeralds' and the lighter ones are referred to as 'aquamarines'. Being metamorphic minerals, it makes them tough to find of the right gem quality. They DO, however, have quite a few in North Carolina.

Right now, though, my thoughts are beginning to return to the playa. I found a new USGS publication that came out that has scads of geochemical and mineralogical data that the folks in Denver have compliled. It looks really interesting. I checked a few of the Nevada localities out, and one's right along Jungo road near Sulfur, while another is less than a half-mile from Fly Geyser. Great data. I just wish they'd sampled the playa to compare their work with mine. I'm just not overly thrilled with their sampling protocols, I guess. Easy to critique, but hard to do, so I'll shut my mouth.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

Postby Patsh » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:22 am

Joeln wrote:Good Morning all!
Glorious day off from work, loafing in bed for hours before even getting up.
:coffee: :mrgreen:

Joeln, I believe they call that procrasturbating... 8)
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:23 am

Morning guys.
My local neighborhood of Japantown San Jose has been turning into an Art Mecca lately. Last weekend was an Art Walk where galleries opened their doors late at night and we got an eyeful of some pretty cool stuff. One of the galleries, Empire Seven, has been doing murals on the local graffiti-eaten walls:
http://www.empiresevenstudios.com/e7s-mural-project/
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion