The Bar 2014 Edition

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: The Bar 2014 Edition

Postby VultureChow » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:53 pm

Math is just an incredibly beautiful subject to me. The understanding of a particular tough concept, or that moment you make a leap yourself is what I imagine a religious revelation might be. A sudden an total awareness of a deeper truth about the universe.

And some proof are just so elegant. Cantor's Diagonal. Euclid's proof of infinite primes.
I should change my sig line.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby ygmir » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:35 am

*wanders in, starts ECM*

*lights up "open" sign*

Infinite primes, VC? I'll go for infinite prime rib!!

gotta try to get taxes off today.......dang.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby aserendipity » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:45 am

Good Morning All

Yum , I'll trade numbers for rare beef any time

Yes, I am giving it to the Gov't today ..waited till the last minute again wonder why

xoA.
aserendipity

Postby trilobyte » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:49 am

Strand is also the name of the biggest bookstore in the world, in NYC. Or at least it was the biggest, in the dozen or so years since I've lived nearby the world hasn't been too kind to the world of printed books. I hope the chair and the van get sorted for you soon!

We had a nice dinner out this weekend with friends we don't often get to see, that was nice. Other than that, it was an opportunity to try and get caught up on some things and push some projects along. I didn't get everything done that I wanted to, but feel like it was productive nonetheless. Happy Monday, I'm looking forward to a great week ahead!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby sadie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:49 pm

Is anyone staying up for the eclipse tonight?
I am going to watch it get started, but most likely won't stay up to see it through.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!
sadie

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Postby aserendipity » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:05 pm

Yes , I am watching it begin right now.

xoA.
aserendipity

Postby aserendipity » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:24 pm

Check out the app Stellarium
aserendipity

Postby AntiM » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:42 am

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

I woke up and could have seen the eclipse, but didn't want to put on clothes. Ah, city living.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:57 am

*wanders in, makes CCC*
couldn't make the eclipse, dang. good photos of it showing up, though.
funny how this time of year comes, as it always does, and I realize summer is pretty much totally planned out, booked as such, and tons of things I want to do already are pushed back, and starting to worry if I'll get my Playa projects for this year ready in time.

time management.........often escapes me.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Thecatman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:25 am

sneaks in for a cup. :coffee:

No eclipse for me. I hit the sack at 9:00pm and didn't get up til 06:00 this morning.
With this eclipse being a big event, maybe the Cubs will win the world series. :lol:
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby trilobyte » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:48 am

We had a bit of fog but it was still visible. A little chilly out, but since our loft has a street access door and had a great view it was easy to check on its progress. Good times.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby VultureChow » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:52 am

Cloud cover, so no eclipse.

But my Mom hosted a wonderful Passover seder. The two of us have been cooking for a month. 22 friends and family. Actually managed to get 4 kids under the age of 12. They were playing soccer and the piano and just charming. I also convinced my dad to up the bounty for the afikomen, so the kids all got a $5 reward.

Food was great, weather was great. Just a wonderful warm and loving holiday. We used to have two a year. Thanksgiving and Passover. Since my aunt has declined in health, we're down to Passover, so getting everyone together is really a special event.
VultureChow

Postby magicmarty » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:12 am

Morning all, I conducted a Seder at our place last evening. 10 family and friends and it was really a nice family event. Dinner was great with pot roast, matzo ball soup (I made the matzo balls). And following the tradition, we all read the story aloud together. VC had it right, it and Thanksgiving are our two family holiday get togethers, and it gets tougher each year to get everyone together in one place as the years progress and the grand kids become grand adults.

YG, I too am finding that time is slipping away to get done what needs to get done to become playa ready. But it will happen. Just made our reservations in Sparks for the night before the final drive up to BRC. A stake in the ground!!! Felt good to start the BRC folder once again. Now to start making schwag.

Have a great week, kiddies

(((LF)))
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty
magicmarty

Postby ygmir » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:28 am

well V.C. and Marty; looks like you're keepin' the traditions alive.

Marty: do you know about Doc's "Reno hotel deal" he has with, I think, the Sands?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby ygmir » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:33 am

well, and some of us.........
Attachments
306406_orig.png
306406_orig.png (117.08 KiB) Viewed 167 times
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby unjonharley » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:34 am

Making time for "one " thing for BM each day...Not frantic YET..
unjonharley

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:41 am

"Blot" = blood sacrifice to heathen Norse gods. :roll: :lol:
Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

Music is like candy... You throw the rapper away.
--Unjonharley

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:45 am

Yeah, Walpurgisnacht is coming up, a fine old tradition of jumping over bonfires etc.

I caught the Red Moon last night, just dragged my porch chair out onto the walkway, gazed at the spectacle with a mug of hot herb tea.

ENCORE!
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:46 am

Elliot wrote:"Blot" = blood sacrifice to heathen Norse gods. :roll: :lol:

point, or statement?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:48 am

The word is VERY remotely connected to the word "blood", but then so is "blossom" and "bloom".
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby VultureChow » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:57 am

Passover is a pretty badass holiday.

Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year; ye shall take it from the sheep, or from the goats; and ye shall keep it unto the fourteenth day of the same month; and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it at dusk.

And they shall take of the blood, and put it on the two side-posts and on the lintel, upon the houses wherein they shall eat it. And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleavened bread; with bitter herbs they shall eat it.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; its head with its legs and with the inwards thereof.

And ye shall let nothing of it remain until the morning; but that which remaineth of it until the morning ye shall burn with fire.

And thus shall ye eat it: with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste--it is the LORD'S passover.

For I will go through the land of Egypt in that night, and will smite all the first-born in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the LORD.

And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are; and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and there shall no plague be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt
VultureChow

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:07 am

ygmir wrote:

point, or statement?

Translation.
Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

Music is like candy... You throw the rapper away.
--Unjonharley

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby ^Rhino! » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:41 am

Whew! Made it through!

I have been working literally for days on a presentation I'm giving tonight at the historical society, and the Civil War roundtable. It involves the Confederate and secessionist group, the "Knights of the Golden Circle". These guys were everywhere before and during the war. They started out as a group which sought the expansion of slavery in what they called the 'golden circle' region - the South, Mexico, the Caribbean, and South and Central America, first by occupation and by armed action following occupation, a process they called "filibustering"....needless to say, they turned back to the US in 1860 with the election of Lincoln, and even tried to overthrow the US government, and contributed to the Confederate cause.

I've been working for DAYS on this presentation, getting it just right to deliver tonight. A full hour. Glad the preparation is done.

At work,I'm having to say 'no' to a contractor who wants to substitute dirt for rock fill near Tuscumbia; a retaining wall near Kansas City, and a rock cut realignment and bridge south of St. James, in addition to the normal flow of events. Busy, busy, busy.

For the playa, BOTH of my talks got accepted for the Earth Guardians series. (THANKS, TRILO FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS!) I start preparations for these tonight when I buy an easel and a few storyboard pads for use. It also means that the Black Rock City Division of Geology will now make its presence known and felt with information that will benefit citizens! My goal/dream comes to fruition for the playa.

THAT is the biggest thrill of all........
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:

The word is VERY remotely connected to the word "blood", but then so is "blossom" and "bloom".

Not so very remote. "Blut" is the german, and that's just not voicing the "d" to make a "t". And then a vowel change, and vowels change so easy, to get "blot". Of course, these three languages were changing in tandem unison at the same time, I make no claims about ancestry.

Personally, though, Yggsidril Day sounds fantastic. I hope it's more about gathering wisdom than planting trees, but either is good.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Bin Noddin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:12 pm

I thought it was about honoring Ygmir
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:15 pm

*"honors" bin with a big bear hug*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:40 am

"Yggdrasil Day" seems more reasonable than "Earth Day" to me and a whole lot more fun than Easter, though, hmm, it still has that whole three-days-dead-god thing going. :? I guess that's a story we can't forget.

We had SNOW and SLEET here last night, alas for my day lilies, they were coming along pretty good. :|

Ahhh where is my :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby fernley1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:37 am

Good moring all.
I didn't see the Eclipse here in northern Nevada, had some clouds in the way. Its been clear every night a week before and since.

Rhino, what are you going to tell us at your talks? Can't wait!
fernley1

Burning Since: 2013

Postby ^Rhino! » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:48 am

Bin Noddin wrote:I thought it was about honoring Ygmir

**gives bin a high five**

You bet it is. It's a lot better than some of days we get saddled with by a long shot. It ABSOLUTELY beats "National Clean Off Your Desk Day"...not that I don't enjoy a clean desk, ygmir is just more of an important and special figure around here.

The weather here has been changing almost nightly. Thunderstorms night before last and frost this morning. The temperature is acting like a yo-yo...up and down, up and down.... I even saw a few snowflakes last week. But, sunny and 60s today....returning to 'normal', whatever that is.

Time to fix up the coffee for the a.m...... :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

fernley1, what I'm planning are two 45-minute talks on 'Why the Black Rock Desert is NOT a meteorite impact site", and "Playa Dust - what it is and how to clean it up" Those aren't the exact titles, but you'll find them in the printed guide for this year. I've been in contact with Karen Krusiniak of Earth Guardians and volunteered to give these talks, and what I'm planning is to make two flip charts, one for each talk. They should include photomicrographs that I'm going to blow up to 36" by 48" size and other pictures directly related to the talks.

I'll also demonstrate a formula that I came up with to remove playa dust made from non-toxic environmentally friendly chemicals. For hoots and a grin, I've given this formula a name, "Playa-B-Gone" Better living through chemistry, or in this case MUD TECH. I got the idea for the formula from drilling mud.

Both are 'geology' or 'geology-related', so as the Chief Geologist for the Black Rock City Division of Geology I thought they'd be worthwhile talks. Layman-oriented with good hard science data. And that's right up my alley.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby ygmir » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:55 am

*wanders in, makes CCC*
Hey Rhino! those talks sound interesting.

Hi MDF!
Hi fernley1!

Part of the Yggdrasil thing, for me, is a fascination with Ratatoskr.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion