The Bar 2014 Edition

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: The Bar 2014 Edition

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:30 pm

Judging from the number of Seattle friends posting about the parade in social media today, I'm surprised there's anyone in the pacific northwest that's not out and about in the streets of downtown Seattle.

No parades here, but it has been all kinds of busy. And as busy as I think I've been, my poor darlingfaced girlfriend's been even busier. I'll be glad when this week is over...
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:53 am

*wanders in, makes CCCCC*
dang, went to bed with a little "tight" chest......woke up sore throat and coughing.......dang and dang. I have a big meeting on Sat.!!
I can just imagine the party in Seattle! wow, flinging fish up and down Pike st., coffee running like water, effigies of Bill Gates bouncing all over.........
What fun!

and, it's snowing! not a lot, but still. yay.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby magicmarty » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:51 am

Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly, YG. Get some chicken soup ... works wonders! Rained last night and forecast for more every day through Sunday. Double yay!

(((LF)))
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty
magicmarty

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Hushville - Althing

Postby unjonharley » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:58 am

Don't be giving that rabbit any of you damn germs..

My daughter said," Every time I bring something home cat gets the flea drops :roll:

:coffee: :coffee:
unjonharley

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:59 am

magicmarty wrote:Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly, YG. Get some chicken soup ... works wonders! Rained last night and forecast for more every day through Sunday. Double yay!

(((LF)))

Again, Ygmir! Sounds like the same bug I've had on-and-off since November. Maybe you need that sinus opening procedure also? I've had it, but it needs doing again.

Mixed feelings about the rain, since I want to go to a race car swap meet Sunday in Stockton. Looking for parts for my pedal cars, yes.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:01 am

Yay for snow on Yggy's mountains, hip hip hooray!!! :D

Okay I need :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Bwahahahahahahaha, Elorrum you got that customer training thing right, we now are reminded to share how much we care right when the next round of fake phone calls are set to begin. Yes they have fake patients calling with tales of fake tragedies so they can grade each nurse's response on 26 different required elements. I spend my day playing Spot The Fake while expressing respect concern sympathy and, oh yeah letting them see my smile through the phone. Though no I really don't think a concussed newborn is anything to smile about. :? I hope that one was fake. :| Because the sad thing is, I really do care.

*lines up the virtual shots and downs them, one two three four five...*
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:48 am

Elliot wrote:
magicmarty wrote:Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly, YG. Get some chicken soup ... works wonders! Rained last night and forecast for more every day through Sunday. Double yay!

(((LF)))

Again, Ygmir! Sounds like the same bug I've had on-and-off since November. Maybe you need that sinus opening procedure also? I've had it, but it needs doing again.

Mixed feelings about the rain, since I want to go to a race car swap meet Sunday in Stockton. Looking for parts for my pedal cars, yes.

yeah Elliot, maybe, though this seems more chest/throat. chest pains, wheezing, etc....dang it. But, seems a drill bit dipped in lacquer thinner, if I knew where to drill............

Made some cabbage, garlic, onion and beef soup.........hoping.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:03 am

Gunk draining from sinuses can cause gunkiness further down.

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby ^Rhino! » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:35 pm

ygmir wrote:
^Rhino! wrote:Hey, mojojita.....no joke....the guy who invented the tow plow is a friend of mine. The Canadians are already using it. He stands to make some serious $$ now since he's retired. I just wish he'd come to the event. He'd come up with a great art car.

There's money to be made in tinkering with the right idea. Ask Ed Malzahn. He came up with a piece of trenching equipment that looks like a chain saw on the back of a backhoe....and Ditch Witch was born. The people at his factory still tinker. They came up with the 'Super Witch', a Ditch Witch trencher on steroids with a turbocharged 850 horsepower Chevy engine, and it'll do 100' of 3" wide 4-foot deep trench in about a minute.

And it does wheelies, too.

[media]

Imagine doing a contract for cable installation with the Super Witch....done in 1/4 the time.

hey! I ran a Vermeer T-600 "back when"..........that was a digger!! cut a 1500 pair 6' deep phone line and isolated Sacramento from the rest of the world for 2 hours they say.........mis marked, so, I was not in jail.........

That was the old copper cables if it was 1500 pair. Just think of how much you'd have to pay if you hit today's multiple FIBER OPTIC lines. And with a 12- hour minimum charge on A T&T lines keyed to lost revenud, you're talking about 18 Million dollars liability if you don't 'call before you dig'.

In all 50 states, it's now the LAW to call '811' before you dig. No exceptions. It automatically links you with the one-call service of the state you're calling from.

I know a guy in Wentzville, Missouri, just outside of St. Louis, who had called, AT&T came out and marked the lines. He was putting in post holes with a power auger on the back of a backhole and took out 3 trunk lines for the call center near there. He had photo proof that the locator had mismarked the lines 20' away from where the lines were, and he paid nothing.

If you hit a National Defense line, then 'black helicopters' start flying overhead until it's fixed.

Hope you feel better, yggy.....many health-filled blessings to you.......
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby Mojojita » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:16 pm

Yiggy - sounds like a real illness. Get some zinc lozenges. IMHO - chicken soup won't hurt but go directly for the whiskey - straight shots. It kills germs, you'll go to sleep and you won't care as much about being sick.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Mojojita wrote:Yiggy - sounds like a real illness. Get some zinc lozenges. IMHO - chicken soup won't hurt but go directly for the whiskey - straight shots. It kills germs, you'll go to sleep and you won't care as much about being sick.

Thanks Mojo, I have:
elderberry/zinc lozenges, cognac, and cabbage/asparagus/garlic/onion/shortrib/brown rice soup.........thieves blend aromatic oil, menthol oil on the wood stove, and old westerns on tv.........

@ Rhino: yeah, the cable I cut was marked wrong, too.........100' from the real "dead" cable. I was in the clear, but, yeah, airplanes circling, cops, FBI, everyone showed up. This was in about 1980.

I had stopped, even and called the locator over, making double sure the line I was cutting was the dead one (having been warned about the live one), he said "I know my job, trench on"......as the colored wires were spewing out of the trench, nothing seemed wrong until the CHP came skidding up with lights on............

the locator turned pale..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby goathead » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:01 pm

Now that sounds like fun.

:lol:
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby trilobyte » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:19 pm

@Rhino - Miss Dig! Ha - my grandfather masterminded getting that system set up.

@Ygmir - fight the good fight! Go after it aggressively, and keep yourself bundled the hell up and with a little luck you'll stay ahead of it and won't be sick for your big meeting. Hooray for a little snow up there - hopefully there's more of it in the next few days.

We've got rain down here in the bay. It's not coming down in buckets or anything, but it's been steady. I think the forecast is for more of the same through Sunday. Where most people would be whining and complaining, I think everyone in town agrees we sure could use it. I'll say this much - hats off to the SF Muni drivers. I was bopping around the city by bus earlier today, and even with the usual 'everything is slower' thing you get on rainy days, they did a good job staying on schedule and dealing with it all. And the drivers on the buses I took were all pretty nice and friendly.

Now it's off to the bar, looking for the fancy vodka and maybe a few vicious chemicals to mix it with... there are a few other wonderful libations around, and even a pago pago octopus. Who's drinking what?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:44 pm

ygmir wrote:... ..."I know my job, trench on"......as the colored wires were spewing out of the trench, nothing seemed wrong until the CHP came skidding up with lights on............

the locator turned pale..........

Some people! I once had a fork lift driver loading my 18-wheeler, who insisted he was very "responsible" and did not want me on the dock to verify the load. We went around and around a few times, he repeating "RESPONSIBLE" several times, and finally I reported the situation to his boss. By the time his boss checked, the kid had my trailer half full of the WRONG PRODUCT. The kid was a bit less flippant when I counted the correct freight onto the trailer and said goodbye. People, sometimes! :lol:

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:51 pm

I had my place located before the new septic drain field trenches were dug even though it's my property and I know where everything is and have had it located a few times before anyway. I'm glad to read that story because I learned a valuable lesson I hadn't ever thought about: next time I have anything located I will take photos! Once I dig it up all the evidence is gone! Oh shit!

Crap Ygmir, I hate getting sick.

Trilo, I'm having coffee with brandy and irish cream right now.

I got the coolest package in the mail the other day - playa-dusty bike pedals! It was from Elliot, he sent me the pedals for the tandem he gave me last year.
Not much could be "burnier" than four playa dust covered bike pedals!

Elliot, I have guys who put together all the miscellaneous stuff that goes along with the stuff I carry. I've had them get indignant when I "waste" time going through every piece of it making sure it's right, then shut right up because something is usually wrong. I tell 'em, that's why I check it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:14 pm

You mean the same guys, and they never learn? Or from many different suppliers? Either way, it's... "human". :lol:

When I built my barn, I took photos of the footings and rebar just before the concrete was poured. Have not needed them, but... such peace of mind!

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:29 pm

yeah photos can save your butt! I did that on the recent cemetery parking fence project.....one of the locators was there asking me what I was doing. I told him I know that as long as I'm 2' from his marks, I'm not liable for hitting anything......he nodded and said "thanks". And just like Elliot, done it for "proof" of what can't be seen later. Like the Hof. I knew they'd not believe I have rebar on 8" vertical and 16" horizontal centers. Came in handy at building permit retro time...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby msj2u » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:42 pm

peeks in

Well, I've had pneumonia for a month! ygmir, please take care of yourself, I've never been down this long before.

Finally saw some actual rain today, not enough for the drought, but every drop helps, right?

I'm ready to get back to the playa honestly. Sorry I didn't get to meet Capt Goddamnit and see your MV.

Maryanimal, if you're out there, I look forward to visiting you and figjam and elliot again this year, enjoyed our conversations.

Hugs to those who want them,
MSJ
The older I get, the less patience I have for stupid
msj2u

Burning Since: 2003

Postby ^Rhino! » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:55 pm

ygmir wrote:yeah photos can save your butt! I did that on the recent cemetery parking fence project.....one of the locators was there asking me what I was doing. I told him I know that as long as I'm 2' from his marks, I'm not liable for hitting anything......he nodded and said "thanks". And just like Elliot, done it for "proof" of what can't be seen later. Like the Hof. I knew they'd not believe I have rebar on 8" vertical and 16" horizontal centers. Came in handy at building permit retro time...........

Dude, you and everybody else....why do you think I INSIST on all my geotechs taking pictures before the job? So far, after 21 years as a professional excavator, I have hit absolutely NO underground utilities, I have come in contact with ZERO overhead powerlines, and my crews have zero lost-time accidents (BTW, this kind of record is normally unheard of for any contractor or professional excavator.) I am ferocious when it comes to safety. I have but one inviolate rule: EVERY MAN AND WOMAN GOES HOME SAFE EVERY NIGHT - to family, to kids, to those that love and need them. We have 'tool box talks', and we insist on participation.

Keeping up with all the tickets I submit used to be a nightmare. I stayed nights and weekends just to get some of that shit done. Now, I have FINALLY gotten enough experience and software to where it's as smooth as clockwork.

I insist on something called 'positive response'. I have to hear from every utility listed on the job ticket in one of three ways: one, they put marks on the ground, marking the location of utilities. The second is the single flag or mark on the ground stating 'OK" or "Clear". The third way, they give me either a phone call or set up a utility 'meet', and we sort it out. If they don't call, the one-call center provides me their phone number, and I WILL call them. That way, there is no question.

Still, there are times when you're way out on the edges of sanity. I always talk to property owners where I dig because of the existence of the underground 'dog fence'. It's something inside the property owner's house that sets up a RF 'barrier' around the property. The dog comes close to the barrier, and it gets a warning shock from its collar. Hitting one of those shuts the barrier down, the dog gets loose, and could get killed - liability.

One time we were drilling in Kansas City near Holmes Park on the site of a home that had been vacated 40 years ago. We thought nothing was there. Suddenly, the drill, which was coring rock, hit a piece of vitrified clay pipe in one of the core runs and it slowed down, It speeded up again, and then another inch of vitrified clay pipe. We emptied the core in the box...and the vitrified clay pipe cores had a full 3" of concrete separating them. The sewer utility lateral had been abandoned. No harm, no foul, as it was not in use and would never be used again.

Another time in Kansas City, we started having water pour out of an auger hole. It stunk to high heaven. We thought we'd accidentally hit a sewer pipe, but a call to their metro sewer people brought out their locators with maps. We were 300 feet away from the nearest sewer pipe. It turned out that the adjacent highway embankment had never been dewatered during construction, so all that water in excess used to bring the embankment soil up to an optimum moisture content came out of the hole. And it was stagnant, which is why it stunk.

Anything can happen, and often does. I take it in stride, since I've already made the utility notifications and investigated the area with a field visit myself to make sure of what's going on. Otherwise, I could be a nervous wreck.

Trilo, you can be extremely proud of your granddad. Miss dig is a great service in Cali, long may it continue.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

^Rhino!

Postby aserendipity » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:34 am

Good Morning All !

need to get started on this finally winter day, as late is better than never
tonight is the Olympic opening ceremony and I will have my whole family over
they dont do TV

Wishing you good health Yggy .
with Valentine's day approaching and all the love rushing at you from all of us you had better be well

xoA.
aserendipity

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:56 am

Good morning, all!!! :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Olympics, gosh, Valentine's day, eek, the future is rushing toward me like a freight train.

*crawls into NEB*
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby magicmarty » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:07 am

Swan dives in to the NEB, :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: in hand for MDF and a bit of snuggle time :) :) :idea: 8)
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty
magicmarty

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Hushville - Althing

Postby trilobyte » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:42 am

@Rhino - I think Miss Dig is nationwide (at least it used to be), though it started in Michigan. I think it was in Oakland or Macomb county first, but took off like wildfire. By around 74 or 75 I was old enough to have fond memories of road trips to the state capitol with him and it went statewide, but once the organization had its own legs to stand on he let them keep it growing. I don't remember what year, but it might have been at the end of the 70's when he was telling me it had become a nationwide thing.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby ^Rhino! » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:58 am

trilobyte wrote:@Rhino - I think Miss Dig is nationwide (at least it used to be), though it started in Michigan. I think it was in Oakland or Macomb county first, but took off like wildfire. By around 74 or 75 I was old enough to have fond memories of road trips to the state capitol with him and it went statewide, but once the organization had its own legs to stand on he let them keep it growing. I don't remember what year, but it might have been at the end of the 70's when he was telling me it had become a nationwide thing.

"Miss Dig" is one of the state one-call service names, Trilo. The national name as of today is "811" It's a reminder to call '811' BEFORE you dig. The state-specific names and numbers of all of the services are here:

http://www.call811.com/state-specific.aspx

But you don't need to call the state-specific number any more. '811' gets you there, any time, 24/7/365. And calling before you dig in any state is THE LAW.

The driving force behind all of it is DAMAGE PREVENTION. Not just damages, but potential serious injury and death in many cases. Even Nevada has a one-call service. I'm sure that every year prior to the event, somebody from the org makes the call before setting up center camp.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

Postby EspressoDude » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:14 am

proof that aliens are arriving on the playa. giant flying saucer hovering over the playa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:58 am

*shuffles in, makes CC*

HI gang!
Nice catch, E.D.! *notes faint sound of OMWS from the basement* Visitors are always nice, yes?

Thanks for the well wishes.....coughed up a little egg yolk, so, I'm thinking it's breaking up? Hope so, big meeting tomorrow in S.F.

*heads for ROS*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elliot » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:01 am

*sees musical blinking lights, and hears musical horns. Stares open-mouthed along with Richard Dreyfus*

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:03 am

Robitussin DM, Ygmir. Loosens gunk so it comes out, while minimizing the frequency of the coughs. Generic as Tussin DM, dirt cheap.

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:35 am

Ygmir, get yourself some of these.

it keeps us Tundra Dwellers Clear and GooFree during the long hard doom filled winter....
Rated East Coast Fucko, this by no means represents BM or its org...its just some crotchety old fuck

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:03 am

thanks for the advice.......I'll go in search of both!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion