Placement required for early entry volunteers

All things outside of Burning Man.

Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:09 pm

Hey all, I looked but didn't see any mention of this anywhere. If there is a topic already, please steer me to it because I'm not meaning to duplicate efforts.

Apparently, anyone entering the city early this year as a volunteer, either has to camp on ring G or beyond, camp with their respective volunteer group camp (aka Greeters, DPW, etc) or had to submit a placement questionnaire to request placement within G but outside the theme camp areas. I am fairly certain this has a lot to do with large land grabs by early folks, claiming land for their large group of friends coming later. This new policy seemed to get by under the radar for many folks, although notices were sent out by department heads to their respective volunteers. We have a small group of volunteers who banded together to form a "volunteer group camp" and we submitted said questionnaire. We were instructed to select the "other" option when describing our camp and describe it in the camp description box. The resulting questionnaire was a bit shorter than the normal Theme Camp questionnaire, as it did not include many of the questions pertaining to early passes, etc. Presumably, we will all have early passes thru our respective departments. I am not complaining about the policy as it does make sense and I am sure the land grab thing was getting a bit out of hand, specifically when it came to claiming large tracts for future full service RV parks. We were next to one of these last year, where the trailers all got delivered over the course of a couple of days and gradually formed a large block with center courtyard. They even negotiated a service alley between our camps so they could have them pumped. The "guests" started arriving on Tuesday or so.

Just curious about what people think of the new policy.
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
User avatar
bigbluedoggy
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Pasadena / Joshua Tree, CA
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby gyre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:12 pm

I don't think the restriction is new.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:40 pm

It is new for this year. Previous years it has been pretty much open camping outside of flagged areas as long as you were not using more land than you needed. That's the part that got out of hand. You could not set up any sort of marked perimeter, but there was certainly a large assortment of widely scattered camping equipment thrown about, if you know what I mean.
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
User avatar
bigbluedoggy
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Pasadena / Joshua Tree, CA
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby lemur » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:32 pm

those peeps with early entry trying to land grab for their non placed camps were twits anyways.
Don't link to anything here!
User avatar
lemur
 
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Madagascar
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby gyre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:54 pm

I've always been told I couldn't set up even in placed areas using a tiny space, before a certain date.
Easier to stay where i camped first.

Never made sense to me, but it made it easy to control the space, I presume.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:53 pm

You used to be able to camp anywhere that wasn't flagged off. Now you have to camp on G or beyond before gates open unless you get placed.
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
User avatar
bigbluedoggy
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Pasadena / Joshua Tree, CA
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby Savannah » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:56 pm

True.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10525
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby International Incident » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:57 pm

I like the new policy! Makes heaps of sense.
User avatar
International Incident
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby gyre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:26 pm

Maybe it was because I was camping in reserved space?
I had the impression they just didn't want anyone settling in before sunday.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Just to be clear, submitting the questionnaire does not mean we will automatically be placed within the G circle. We have to meet whatever criteria they are looking for.
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
User avatar
bigbluedoggy
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Pasadena / Joshua Tree, CA
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby C187 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:54 pm

The one thing I didn't quite understand when reading the email was what do you do if you are camping with a normal placed theme camp. Can you go to it right away, or do you have to hang around G for a bit?
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
User avatar
C187
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:39 am
Location: Great Lakes Basin
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby MikeGyver » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:05 pm

C187 wrote:The one thing I didn't quite understand when reading the email was what do you do if you are camping with a normal placed theme camp. Can you go to it right away, or do you have to hang around G for a bit?


I don't have the email to read and try and decipher but I imagine being in a theme camp counts you as placed and since your with a pre-placed camp there is no worry about land grabbing. But that is only a guess.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
User avatar
MikeGyver
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: San Diego, California
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:22 pm

Yes, as long as the camp you are with is a placed camp and has valid early entry, you have no problem. In fact if you are an early volunteer and have an early arrival pass thru your volunteer group, then you are saving your theme camp an EA pass that can be used by someone else, since you only require one.
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
User avatar
bigbluedoggy
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Pasadena / Joshua Tree, CA
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:51 am

I'm going to move this over to Shelter & Camping, since that's a better fit.

The registration policy is new for this year, and makes a lot of sense. It's also designed to disrupt and shut down those who ride in legitimately on some department or project's early arrivals list, and then land-grab a bunch of prime real estate before the gates open.

One of the biggest complaints that people have every year, even among those who arrive in Black Rock City right when the gates open, is that all the good spots are already taken. Good for the placement team, taking some steps so that they can take action against the land-grabbers (they will be moved). My understanding is that in the past that was always problematic and difficult, as land-grabbers would often claim they were department-related or had some other next-to-impossible-to-easily-verify justification for being there. This year, Burning Man staff and departments were told many months out, and repeated reminded (in person at meetings and via emails) of the change as the deadline approached. My understanding is that there would be no exceptions. If they wanted to set themselves up between Esplanade and G, they needed to have submitted it with placement, very simple.

The reason you probably didn't see anything about early arrival requests on that form is because those type of camps aren't really eligible to request early arrivals. By definition, they're people who are coming in early (and would get EA barcodes) as part of some other department, team, or project.
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10690
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:57 am

Putting the mod hat on for a minute, don't think of it as 'saving' an EA pass, since those things are really only supposed to be used on an as-needed basis for the essential setup crew within that project. For the newbies reading this thread, it's worth pointing out that early arrivals may not be bought, sold, bartered/traded, or even given away freely to people outside a particular camp, department, or project. Placement has asked us to remove any posts from the site that either offer or ask for them, and camps found to be trading passes run the risk of incurring placement's wrath (which could include anything from yanking the camp's early arrivals to denying placement).
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10690
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Certainly your point is well made, Trilo, and very valid. I was in no way implying that one should attempt to coerce additional early passes by bogusly volunteering for a commitment outside of their own theme camp. If someone has an early volunteer commitment, that makes them pretty much unavailable as essential setup crew for a theme camp. Just that I am sure there are instances where someone who is an early volunteer actually camps with an existing theme camp.

Having now learned much more about this particular turn of events from several people off eplaya than in this thread, I will let it die. Thanks everyone.
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
User avatar
bigbluedoggy
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Pasadena / Joshua Tree, CA
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:40 pm

You may not chose to participate in it, but if the rest of us keep posting, it won't die.


And I think this is a generally good idea.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37462
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby zerzura » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:37 pm

Does anyone know how this works for people who get early entry for volunteering on their own, but not part of a volunteer camp? In the past, I have gotten early entry to work at DMV, but I camp in my own camp. In past years I would set up camp not in a reserved theme camp area and not on A (also reserved for people arriving after the event opens). The DMV shifts have not been offered yet, and I haven't registered through placement because I don't have a theme camp. So, do all the people in this situation camp past G?
zerzura
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:57 am
Location: Bay Area

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby gyre » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:42 pm

You may have the option of camping in the volunteer camps near the center.
Not everyone there is part of one monolithic group.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby MikeGyver » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:48 pm

zerzura wrote:Does anyone know how this works for people who get early entry for volunteering on their own, but not part of a volunteer camp? In the past, I have gotten early entry to work at DMV, but I camp in my own camp. In past years I would set up camp not in a reserved theme camp area and not on A (also reserved for people arriving after the event opens). The DMV shifts have not been offered yet, and I haven't registered through placement because I don't have a theme camp. So, do all the people in this situation camp past G?


If DMV gives you early entry again I assume they would explain your options. If they don't I would assume unless your in a placed camp(which you say you aren't) you will need to camp past G till gates open or DMV might have a closer area for you to camp until you can move out to where you want to camp.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
User avatar
MikeGyver
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: San Diego, California
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:55 pm

zerzura wrote:Does anyone know how this works for people who get early entry for volunteering on their own, but not part of a volunteer camp? In the past, I have gotten early entry to work at DMV, but I camp in my own camp. In past years I would set up camp not in a reserved theme camp area and not on A (also reserved for people arriving after the event opens). The DMV shifts have not been offered yet, and I haven't registered through placement because I don't have a theme camp. So, do all the people in this situation camp past G?


Yes. If you get EA as an individual but do not camp with your Department or a placed camp, you must camp beyond G even if you get your EA. That said, it might not be too late to camp with your department (if they actually camp together) or to join a theme camp that has a reasonable expectation of being placed. Many such camps are still recruiting his month.

(You & I might differ in temperament quite a bit, but I camped on Hanoi street in 2010 and loved it.)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10525
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Savannah wrote:(You & I might differ in temperament quite a bit, but I camped on Hanoi street in 2010 and loved it.)


Shhhhhhh, I'm afraid of getting edged out of my spot! :wink:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
User avatar
FIGJAM
 
Posts: 7095
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby gyre » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:52 pm

Whether i camp on Fetish or the Esplanade, it never seems to be close enough to everything else.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby zerzura » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:32 pm

I agree, I don't need to camp on the Esplanade or even A, I would usually camp on E street. There is no department camp for DMV, and I'm sure a number of people will be stuck in the same situation with other volunteer shifts in other departments. Camping beyond G because you are showing up early to work seems to be counter-incentive.
zerzura
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:57 am
Location: Bay Area

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:11 pm

zerzura wrote:Camping beyond G because you are showing up early to work seems to be counter-incentive.

Ah, but you calibrated your intuition back when things weren't so crowded and when land grabs weren't so brazen...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37462
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby zerzura » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:24 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Ah, but you calibrated your intuition back when things weren't so crowded and when land grabs weren't so brazen...


true, true
zerzura
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:57 am
Location: Bay Area

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:34 pm

Zerzura, yes - what Savannah said. If you don't join and camp with a placed camp, you would not be able to set up between Esplanade and G until after the gates open.
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10690
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:45 pm

zerzura wrote:I agree, I don't need to camp on the Esplanade or even A, I would usually camp on E street. There is no department camp for DMV, and I'm sure a number of people will be stuck in the same situation with other volunteer shifts in other departments. Camping beyond G because you are showing up early to work seems to be counter-incentive.


Yes, although . . . the middle streets are not punishment . . . & you probably volunteer because it feels awesome, not because it guarantees first crack at land, because we already know it doesn't anyway . . . & because surely, even getting in early and listening to the orchestra tuning up is still exciting, right?

I sympathize. I volunteer early like you, and I don't camp with my volunteer department. I'm waiting to see if some friends and I get placed. I don't want the Esplanade, A, B or even C. I prefer E, F, G & H. (G street was my first location ever, so it's sentimental, and E & F have been marvelous.) And I admit it, if I ended up on "L" street because of this, I'd love the view, but I'd be exhausted from all the pedaling. :)

I hope you bring your concerns about this change as a possible deterrent to volunteerism to your volunteer coordinator or department head (whichever is more appropriate, based on their level of communication with you). The change is a new attempt at organizing the city and solving existing problems whose depth most of us are unaware of.

Maybe the new attempt will work and be worth it. Maybe they'll only use all the land through F. Or maybe there are other people who feel the same and if enough people speak up, there will be some provision made.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10525
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby bigbluedoggy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:54 pm

See this is why I wanted to start a thread... I was pretty certain many people had no idea about this. Whether we get placed or not will have little effect on my interest in volunteering... but that's just me.
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
User avatar
bigbluedoggy
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Pasadena / Joshua Tree, CA
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Re: Placement required for early entry volunteers

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:07 pm

bigbluedoggy wrote:See this is why I wanted to start a thread... I was pretty certain many people had no idea about this. Whether we get placed or not will have little effect on my interest in volunteering... but that's just me.


Same here. I would volunteer no matter where I camped. I've never been placed before; might not be placed this time either.

Change can be alarming though, and volunteers do wanna be appreciated, so there's that too. But those of us who camped inside of G before are "losing" something that was never officially granted. It's just that population size, close observation and the passage of time have compelled Placement to fine-tune the process and be very, very specific to cope with things that didn't use to be an issue.

Yes, good idea for a thread, Bigbluedoggy.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10525
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Next

Return to Open Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: stopgo and 1 guest